Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockcastle COunty (Mountain School)
Does everyone beleive rockcastle county should be included in the mountain top ten? I've heard discussions go both ways. Thoughts/Comments?
I think they deserve to be in the top 10, yeah.
although they have a cupcake schedule besides a few teams that are actually pretty good. Their 7-0.

They did hand Perry Central their only loss of the season in a 22-0 shutout, as of right now the dores are playing some pretty good ball. They almost shut out Whitley too who is the most under appreciated/overlooked team in the mountains do to their tough schedule, IMO their good. & Knox will be determined soon.

so yeah, i think they earned it. i look for the rockets to make a good run in the playoffs. They won't make it to region though..
Yeah.
i meant in the actual mountain classification, not just the top ten. many people argue that rockcastle is not a mountain school. sorry for the lack of detail.
If you drive south out of Berea on I-75 or down US 421 or 25 you will notice the ridgeline that seperates Madison from Rockcastle and Jackson Counties. You can see that ridge from as far away as Richmond. From there South and East is the hills and mountains of what is geographically known as Southeastern Kentucky. That ridgeline stays true even down the Garrard County line vs. Rockcastle. So, yeah, I think that Rockcastle is part of Southeastern Kentucky and begins the mountain region area. Think about the hills of especially southern Rockcastle on I-75 between Mt. Vernon and the Rockcastle River which contains part of the Daniel Boone National Forest. That, especially, ought to be steep enough to be considered "mountain area".
Yes Rockcastle should be considered Mountain School
Absoloutly.
Always have been, always will be.
If you get rid of them you should also get rid of Pulaski County/Pulaski Southwestern/Somerset/Williamsburg/Whitley Co./and Corbin since they all lie on I75 just like Rock, and the pulaski County schools actually lie way west of 75, so your taking a big chunk out of WYMT's coverage area by doing that.
If anything, i believe we should expand it wo include teams like mccreary county and other teams close to 75 but are a little west of it.
They definitely should, Rockcastle Co. is more rugged than Pulaski Co., although the question comes up for us anytime a Mountain Top 10 topic is brought up as well. Rockcastle is almost 100% in the geographical area known as the Appalachian Plateau (Eastern KY Coal fields). The problem with Somerset and Pulaski Co. as a whole is that it lies at the intersect point of three very distinct geographical regions. The Eastern part of the county is in the western extent of the Appalachian Plateau geographical area and looks more like Eastern Kentucky than the rest of the county. This is the area where many Somerset and Pulaski Co. kids live. The Northern part of the county is located at the southern extent of the Outer Bluegrass region and looks more like Central Kentucky. This also holds most of the Somerset and Pulaski Co. student population. The Southwestern part of the county (where Southwestern HS district is believe it or not) lies on the Eastern extent of the Mississippian Plateau (Pennyroyal) and looks more like Western KY.

So anyways, to get back on topic, Rockcastle Co. should absolutely be considered a mountain school both geographically and traditionally because they have always played mountain schools in the past.
RoShamBo Wrote:They definitely should, Rockcastle Co. is more rugged than Pulaski Co., although the question comes up for us anytime a Mountain Top 10 topic is brought up as well. Rockcastle is almost 100% in the geographical area known as the Appalachian Plateau (Eastern KY Coal fields). The problem with Somerset and Pulaski Co. as a whole is that it lies at the intersect point of three very distinct geographical regions. The Eastern part of the county is in the western extent of the Appalachian Plateau geographical area and looks more like Eastern Kentucky than the rest of the county. This is the area where many Somerset and Pulaski Co. kids live. The Northern part of the county is located at the southern extent of the Outer Bluegrass region and looks more like Central Kentucky. This also holds most of the Somerset and Pulaski Co. student population. The Southwestern part of the county (where Southwestern HS district is believe it or not) lies on the Eastern extent of the Mississippian Plateau (Pennyroyal) and looks more like Western KY.

So anyways, to get back on topic, Rockcastle Co. should absolutely be considered a mountain school both geographically and traditionally because they have always played mountain schools in the past.

See, I've never held that Somerset was a Mountain school.

The main reason is because Somerset used to be in the old CKC (Central Kentucky Conference). Always saw them as ties to Central Kentucky much more than the "Mountain" Region.
Like I've said for years, the simplest way is just go with the 13th, 14th and 15th basketball/baseball regions as mountain schools.
^And for years Rockcastle County was in the 13th.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hatz Wrote:See, I've never held that Somerset was a Mountain school.

The main reason is because Somerset used to be in the old CKC (Central Kentucky Conference). Always saw them as ties to Central Kentucky much more than the "Mountain" Region.

I think me and you have discussed this before. I'm the same way because I played in the old 1A district in Cenral KY consisting of us, Danville, Harrodsburg, Green Co., Metcalfe Co., and Campbellsville, all CKY teams. However, since we are in the WYMT coverage area and we have played a mountain schedule the past few years we are often referred to as a mountain school also. The way it seems to me, not surprisingly, we are considered to be a mountain school more on here and CKY school more on the other sites.
LWC Wrote:^And for years Rockcastle County was in the 13th.

And South and North Laurel in the 12th.
Yes, Rock is a mountain school. Somerset however is not, IMHO. Why? Well, not that anyone cares, but this is my rationale:

"Mountain" Schools:
South of I-64 (east of of Lexington-Ashland) and East of I-75 ( south of Lexington-Williamsburg).

"NKY" Schools
North of Scott County, westward to Carroll County up to Bracken County and everything in betweeen.

NEKY Schools
South of Bracken County to Scott County, over to Ashland (county's north of I-64) and everything in between. If you fall within those lines, you're NEKY to me

CKY schools
South of the Bluegrass Parkway (bt Lexington and Elizabethtown)+ I-65 (between Elizabethtown and Bowling Green) + Cumberland Parkway (all schools north of this between Bowling Green and Somerset) + Hwy 27 from Somerset to Lexington.

South Central KY
South of Cumberland Parkway from Bowling Green to Somerset

Western Kentucky, well, those are fighting words if you cut the boundaries too close. There is Bowling Green to Owensboro "Western KY", then theres some that say that WKY is Hopkinsville, Madisonville, Henderson and all points west. Then, there are those that say true Western KY is all points Land Between the Lakes and west.
Rockcastle Co. is as redneck as I am and the folks of Whitley Co.. Yes they are in the Mtns.. Smile
redstorm Wrote:Rockcastle Co. is as redneck as I am and the folks of Whitley Co.. Yes they are in the Mtns.. Smile

If that is the criteria for being considered mountain then Kentucky is a lot more mountainous than I thought. Hell Arkansas must be like the Himalayas, lol.