Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell County Lakers
21.62%
Rockcastle County Rockets
78.38%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell County @ Rockcastle County 9/30
The battle for a district title begins on 9/30 with a matchup between the Lakers (6-0) and Rockets (6-0). Many people have referenced that this could very well be a game that determines the district champion. However, both teams have a good Knox Central team looming, and the Panthers have some really good skill players and are just as capable of taking the district as either of these teams. So, whoever wins this game becomes the early favorite to take it all, and the looser will have a LOT of pressure to beat Clay and Knox Central.

Who wins and why?
Somehow the Rockets got past PerryCC without Clarke Rowe, I do not know if they can do that this time.

Before I make a prediction, I need to know if he will play or not.

Also, for the first time in two seasons, I WILL be at a Rocket game and not listening on the radio, Confusedinglepar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This could be a great game with or without Rowe. These two teams seem to be polar opposites in style of play. Russell County likes quick strike offense and scores many of their points on big plays. They have the ability to score on any down from any distance. Rock likes ground and pound with just enough of a pass game and play action to keep the box from being packed. They prefer to keep the clock running and keep the ball in their own hands.

To come out on top, Russell County has to have good run blocking, the defense has to keep the Rock running game in check, and we have keep penalties down (especially in crucial situations).

For Rock to win they have to keep the big plays from happening. The Lakers are more dangerous from mid-field than we are in the red zone. Rock also needs establish a passing game like they did against PCC. I don't think they can win on the run alone (even if Rowe plays).

This game could very well come down to special teams and who maintains better field position. Not sure when or if I'll make a prediction.
This will be a clash of two separate running styles. Does the slash-dash or the power-back win out? Britt vs. Rowe, Anchored O-Line vs. Rock Solid Defense?

Which passing game comes to play? Will Barton Mann hit his targets? Will Corey McPhetridge have a performance like he did against PerryCC?

Will the weak schedule played by Russell County come back to haunt them? Will Rock be too beat up for this game? Will Clarke Rowe and the other two starters play this game?

What kind of crowd can Russell County bring? Do they travel well? Who comes out of this game 7-0?

All the questions will be answered on September 30th, I, for one, am excited.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:This will be a clash of two separate running styles. Does the slash-dash or the power-back win out? Britt vs. Rowe, Anchored O-Line vs. Rock Solid Defense?
As long as we don't have to play by RIUTG's rules, we have a shot of winning the running game.

LWC Wrote:Which passing game comes to play? Will Barton Mann hit his targets? Will Corey McPhetridge have a performance like he did against PerryCC?

I think I give the slightest of edge to the Laker passing game, primarily because of the interception threat we bring.

LWC Wrote:Will the weak schedule played by Russell County come back to haunt them? Will Rock be too beat up for this game? Will Clarke Rowe and the other two starters play this game?

I actually think the schedules are pretty even. Both have played WC & PC, and then the other teams pretty much cancel each other out. Perry would be the best defensive team that either have played, but Russell has faced more offensive threats. Massey ranks the strength of schedule Russell Co (85) and Rockcastle (99).

LWC Wrote:What kind of crowd can Russell County bring? Do they travel well? Who comes out of this game 7-0?

We travel pretty well. With the realignment, Rockcastle is our closest district rival. We're used to going to Franklin-Simpson, Allen County-Scottsville, and Logan County. In the 2009 playoffs we opened in Paducah against Lone Oak and had 150-200 people there. In 2010 we opened in Hopkins Co Central and had 250+. So, we do okay. I think everyone knows how important this game is to an up and coming Laker team. So the fans will show.

LWC Wrote:All the questions will be answered on September 30th, I, for one, am excited.

Yes they will, and I'm pretty fired up myself.
Rockcastle-26
Russell Co-20
Rock by a TD
Okay LWC , lets blindly look at records of first 5 teams played by each school ....which is the "Weak Schedule".......one team played teams as follows [ 3A team 0-6, 1A team
2-4, 4A team 2-3, 3A team 1-4, and 5A team 1-4] .......other team played teams as follows[4A team 2-3, 5A team 2-3, 5A team3-3, 5A team 1-4, and 5A team 3-3]....these were first 5 teams for each.......which is the "weak schedule" and which belongs to which team???????
How can one call the second list a "weak schedule",[ Russell County's] , when actually compared to the first?????
Looks like clark is back. they held him out of last nights game to keep him healthy for the start of district play. this will be a good one at the rock. Rockets have to put last nights game behind them and focus on a really really good Russell co. team. After all this talk about rock play weak teams they are now playing back to back undefeated teams.
Should be a great game.

Rockcastle - 27
Russel County - 21
This is going to be a very good game.

I'll take Rockcaste though, as they're very hard to pick against.
New to this posting, but appears like if one backs up a statement with facts that a post is not allowed.......however opinions that are just off the top of ones head are welcome!!!!
Come on RUITG, let us know what your thinking on this one.
Rockcastle by 8
This game should be wymt game of the week,and should be a good defensive battle. Rockcastle made a big statement beating PCC without Rowe. This team is for real and it good to see them back on top because I always have had so much respect for this program.I think Rockcastle will win this game with or without Rowe, but I hope he gets to play because I look foward to watching his highlights on SportsOvertime.

Rockcastle-20
Russell Co-13
This should be a great game. I am looking forward to seeing the outcome of this game.
laker20 Wrote:Come on RUITG, let us know what your thinking on this one.

Had i seen this thread earlier i wouldve done posted on it. lol.

First off let me say these two teams are having remarkable seasons and they should be applaud for the efforts they have so far.
IMHO, both of these teams are better than KC. The winner of this game will be your district champion IMO. I also think these two teams are VERY similar in styles. Russell with Britt and Rock with Rowe. Thats all i can think about.
Russell Co is going to have to play better than they did last night to pick up a win over Rock.
I THINK THIS WILL BE THE GAME OF YEAR!

With that said, ive been sticking by Rock since Febuary and that wont change now, IF Rowe plays. I think this is the only team that has a legitimate shot at beating Rock other than Knox, but IMO Knox doesnt have a chance against Rock.
If someone is gonna beat Rock this year it will be Russell.

But im taking
Rock 35
Russell 34
OVERTIME
^I would love for that to be the score. A 1 point overtime game, WOW!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^
Russell will try to go for 2 and the win in OT but Rock defense will stop Britt short of the goalline.
Just how i see it happening after the way Rocks D has stepped up
^
I agree with most of what you said. Both teams have had remarkable seasons to this point, but right now they're both 0-0 with a whole new season starting.

The way it currently looks is that the district may be decided Friday, but Knox Central has the tools and time to put everything together and be a serious contender.

Russell Co's performance last night was definitely off on the offensive side, with only 200 yards or so of total offense. However, the defense played really strong in a game plan similar to Rock's against PCC. We kept pressure on the QB and forced him to make quick decisions causing several turn overs. We better have it working on O and D come Friday or we will be in for a long night.

I really think this game will be decided by two factors: 1) The passing game 2) Turnovers. Whichever team can establish the passing game and protect the ball will win, and it could honestly be large either way.

We may have a slight advantage in a close game because we have had a few games that were close in the 2nd half.

Win or loose, I expect to leave Mt. Vernon having seen a great football game.
^
Great Post Laker20
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Russell will try to go for 2 and the win in OT but Rock defense will stop Britt short of the goalline.
Just how i see it happening after the way Rocks D has stepped up

:lmao:

Can we go back and forth about who's team's faster, which player has the fastest 40 time, who's had the weaker schedule, who can and can't play in the rain (oh, wrong game) and all that good stuff?

This threads missing a little :ChairHit: :flame: :ChairHit:
Clark Rowe will not play Friday night per Doctors orders.
^
lol
RCHS will win LOL
^ That's a sure bet
Whether Clark plays or not(not a sure thing yet), whether the field is wet or not, whether there are weiners on a grill in the parking lot or not, I'm sure this will be a good game. Here is two good teams going head to head in a district game. At least this Rock fan has all the respect in the world for Russell County's team this next week. I also expect and hope that there will be more respect between these two teams and the fans of these two teams than there was in the last game Rockcastle played in. I knew in the winter when people were posting that the title was Rock's and Knox's to take from the district, that Russell would be in there after giving Allen County-Scottsville all they wanted last year and returning tons of starters. You can go back and look at my posts...in there. You don't eat much crow when you don't open your big mouth up wide enough to shove one in.
papagrit Wrote:Whether Clark plays or not(not a sure thing yet), whether the field is wet or not, whether there are weiners on a grill in the parking lot or not, I'm sure this will be a good game. Here is two good teams going head to head in a district game. At least this Rock fan has all the respect in the world for Russell County's team this next week. I also expect and hope that there will be more respect between these two teams and the fans of these two teams than there was in the last game Rockcastle played in. I knew in the winter when people were posting that the title was Rock's and Knox's to take from the district, that Russell would be in there after giving Allen County-Scottsville all they wanted last year and returning tons of starters. You can go back and look at my posts...in there. You don't eat much crow when you don't open your big mouth up wide enough to shove one in.

Well said. Who is Russell county best lineman ??
Everyone can talk bout Clark and other players but the reason the Rock is 6-0 is the Offensive line with the Lake boys and the Defensive ends play with the Twins . Bottom line these 4 kids have been playing lights out all year