Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#20 Shorter University 29 University of Pikeville 21
Final

Pikeville drives the ball down with :08 seconds left attempting a 33 yard FG that was blocked and returned for a Shorter TD.
What a heartbreaking way to end a game!
I'm still really impressed with Pikeville. They look much improved.
ROME, Ga. – No. 21 Shorter University scored nine points in the final 27.8 seconds to hold off the University of Pikeville 29-21 Saturday afternoon at Barron Stadium.

The Hawks remained unbeaten at 2-0 on the season, while the Bears slipped to 2-1 in their first season under Coach Dudley Hilton.

Just as it had done seven days earlier, the Bears took a fourth-quarter lead on a pass from Trevor Hoskins to Axxel Rivas, this time covering eight yards, and freshman Michael Quick's PAT with 10:54 remaining put the Bears in front 21-20.

It stayed that was in the closing minutes of play. The Hawks had an opportunity to take the lead with 4:30 to play but sophomore kicker Troy Postell's 44-yard field goal attempt was wide right.

The Hawks got the ball back down the stretch and moved it to the Bear 28, where Postell was given another opportunity. This time he nailed it from 45 yards to put the Hawks on top 23-21 with 27.8 seconds left.

The Bears weren't ready to die, however, and returned the kick to the 32. Hoskins then hit freshman Tanner Napier for a 37-yard gain to the Shorter 31, and after spiking the ball connected with Napier for another 15 yards to the 16 with 8.1 seconds left.

Pikeville then sent Quick on to try the 33-yard game-winning field goal, but it was blocked by senior Daniel Hazard, who picked it up and returned it 65 yards for the score as the horn sounded.

Early on it appeared the Hawks were going to run away with the game. Three early touchdown runs – a 14-yarder by sophomore Kenny Foster, a seven-yard run by sophomore Jonny Sitton and a two-yard tote by sophomore C.J. Scott – gave them a 20-0 lead with 12:30 to play in the first half.

The Bears began chipping away with a six-yard scoring toss from Hoskins to sophomore Jordan Amis with 3:59 to play in the half, and then got back in the game for good when freshman Marquis Terrell took the opening kick of the second half 84 yards for the score to make it 20-14.

Hoskins, a junior from Middlesboro, was 27-of-39 for 261 yards in the loss. He hit Amis nine times for 39 yards, while freshman Shawntez Johnson had four catches for 71 yards.

Senior B.J. Iverson led the ground attack with 86 yards on 17 carries.

Shorter senior quarterback David Byrd completed only 2-of-11 passes for 43 yards, but both came on the drive to set up the go-ahead field goal in the final minutes of play. Scott led all ball carriers with 131 yards on 15 tries.

Sophomore lineman Chris Ross and junior linebacker Marc Sweet were in on nine tackles each for the Bears. Shorter's defensive effort was led by Hazard and junior Demery Hawkins with seven each.

Pikeville will be home next Saturday when it entertains Faulkner at 1:30 p.m. at the Hambley Athletics Complex, while Shorter will head to Kentucky to play No. 8 Georgetown at 1:30 p.m.
UK might suck, but it looks like UPike is going to be pretty good, I think.

I like it. I like UPike.

lol :p
Man, I wish I had gotten to go to this game...hubby got to the end of the week and found out he had to work on Saturday. I listened on the radio and it sounded like a great game...really exciting! Congrats to the players and coaches of UPike! Way to fight back from being down 20 to 0...nothing to hang your heads about!
Coach Hilton has already really turned that program in the right direction, UPike will be a force in the MSC within the next few years.