Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 55 Pikeville 14
Odd game... 14-7 at Half..Belfry scores 28 points in roughly the first 2:00 of the 2nd Half thanks to a 98 yard KO return, an INT return, a fumble return, and a shanked punt that turned into a 2 play TD drive.

Pikeville was game in the First Half
congrats to Belfry
Congrats Belfry
Congrats Pirates.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Odd game... 14-7 at Half..Belfry scores 28 points in roughly the first 2:00 of the 2nd Half thanks to a 98 yard KO return, an INT return, a fumble return, and a shanked punt that turned into a 2 play TD drive.

Pikeville was game in the First Half
Hats off to Belfry. Definitely better than Pikeville, but I can't help but think PHS wouldn't like to have that first 2 minutes of the second half back and do over. Clearly, the better team won though.

The ONLY thing I had a problem with (other than the final score, of course), was Belfry going for it on 4th and 2 in the 4th with about 2 minutes left in the game. I expected better from Haywood and staff. It would have done nothing to them to have punted it away, since both teams were subbing heavily by then.
Congrats Pirates! Keep your heads up Panthers. Don't let this loss get you down.
If he gets it then he can run out clock (which he would have done) if they dont, then Pikeville has another chance to throw interception and Belfry has chance to score agian. Consider it a sportsmanship.
Belfry left 14 points on the field in the first half. Dont like to say negative things but I didnt like play calling at the end of the first half. Little flat in the 1st half, but came out on fire in the second.. This team is deep 2nd team looked almost as good as 1st. Dixon is a beast but you never know who will be the player of the game week to week. Runyon,Messer,Mullens,Ghormley are stout with that D line. D backs looked better this week against the pass with a great pick 6 by mullens.:redboxer: Great job on offense both williams and warren played very well. O line opened up big holes for the backs who are all crazy good all 5 or 6 of them. Dont understand , why pass the ball in the end of 1st half but never toss one up to the messer kid at least one time he has great hands 6 5 and can go up and get it ,just sayingTongueirateSho
The ONLY thing I had a problem with (other than the final score, of course), was Belfry going for it on 4th and 2 in the 4th with about 2 minutes left in the game. I expected better from Haywood and staff. It would have done nothing to them to have punted it away, since both teams were subbing heavily by then....................................... I think they just wanted to keep the ball to run out the clock like you said the were mostly subs by then,they dont try to score just sit on it
red&white Wrote:The ONLY thing I had a problem with (other than the final score, of course), was Belfry going for it on 4th and 2 in the 4th with about 2 minutes left in the game. I expected better from Haywood and staff. It would have done nothing to them to have punted it away, since both teams were subbing heavily by then....................................... I think they just wanted to keep the ball to run out the clock like you said the were mostly subs by then,they dont try to score just sit on it
Disagree, they got 1st down, then busted off a TD run. Why not "sit on it" to "run out the clock" after getting the 1st down? Plain and simple, running it up. I lost a little respect for the Belfry staff tonight. But as I've said on numerous occaisions leading up to this game, simply a better team won. It would not have affected the game one bit, which is why it bothers me.
red&white Wrote:Belfry left 14 points on the field in the first half. Dont like to say negative things but I didnt like play calling at the end of the first half. Little flat in the 1st half, but came out on fire in the second.. This team is deep 2nd team looked almost as good as 1st. Dixon is a beast but you never know who will be the player of the game week to week. Runyon,Messer,Mullens,Ghormley are stout with that D line. D backs looked better this week against the pass with a great pick 6 by mullens.:redboxer: Great job on offense both williams and warren played very well. O line opened up big holes for the backs who are all crazy good all 5 or 6 of them. Dont understand , why pass the ball in the end of 1st half but never toss one up to the messer kid at least one time he has great hands 6 5 and can go up and get it ,just sayingTongueirateSho

Tony can alomost catch anything, yes they need to throw to him more, and use as a weapon down the line..
^If that was the plan they would have taken a knee.
lunaticfringe Wrote:If he gets it then he can run out clock (which he would have done) if they dont, then Pikeville has another chance to throw interception and Belfry has chance to score agian. Consider it a sportsmanship.
Smartass. BGR really needs to develop a "dislike" button for this site. LOL
jetpilot Wrote:^If that was the plan they would have taken a knee.
Very true, JP
Congrats Belfry.
OMG I cannot believe that post!!!! Cannot believe that!!!!! Belfry did everything they could and played every man on the roster with the freshman team in there and they give a simple handoff and a kid breaks a touchdown probably the highlight of his life and someone says Haywood ran it up...The single most disappointing statement in all my years of BGR and PHS I know you have more sense than that cause all your posts are real legitimate...Haywood has and will never run it up on anyone particularly Pikeville. It just so happened they ran some plays with their freshman and an even more important questions pointed out by our buddies on Pikeville radio right beside us, what in Hillard Howard's name was Randy Maynard doing in the game at wideout, and I understand that is a PHS set maybe they were working on, but why is he out there with 3-4 minutes to go...There is a reason Belfry is good every year and it is because these young players get a chance to play in late game situations..To say you lost respect for Belfry is the worst statement I Have ever heard on hear...extremely disappointed!!!
Incredible second half for Belfry
PHSForever Wrote:Disagree, they got 1st down, then busted off a TD run. Why not "sit on it" to "run out the clock" after getting the 1st down? Plain and simple, running it up. I lost a little respect for the Belfry staff tonight. But as I've said on numerous occaisions leading up to this game, simply a better team won. It would not have affected the game one bit, which is why it bothers me.

Can't buy this man....it's quite a bit of a stretch.

If Belfry wanted to "run it up" they would have left their starters, or even their 2nd string, in the game. The bench was cleared... they weren't passing...they weren't running trick plays... they were running the football behind a mostly Freshman line.

Playing reserves are a vital part of Belfry's program and their success. When you dress a 70-80 man roster there are VERY limited chances to get your young guys snaps in a game setting. What purpose does it serve to tell them to take a knee? Instead you shrink your playbook to about 3 plays and tell them to run it and hang on to the ball.

There are far easier ways to pad stats and run up the score then hoping your #10 or #11 rushing threat goes beast mode. For Heaven's sake..Belfry was subbing with 10 minutes left in the 3rd.
PHSForever Wrote:The ONLY thing I had a problem with (other than the final score, of course), was Belfry going for it on 4th and 2 in the 4th with about 2 minutes left in the game. I expected better from Haywood and staff. It would have done nothing to them to have punted it away, since both teams were subbing heavily by then.
It is our job to stop it. I would rather someone play ball than feel sorry for us.

Well, not much to say about this one. Really proud of the effort in the 1st half, stood toe to toe for most of it. The first 2 minutes of the 2nd half is a complete lack of focus and attention to detail. But I will say that I saw improvements. This was on the road against a team of a very high caliber and for 24 minutes, Pikeville played like a Pikeville team should, IMO. We did do some good things!

The ultimate goal of a Regional Championship and a shot at a state title still is there. It is a tall task, but this first half shows that this team is capable of playing high level teams close. But one half is just that, one half. Gotta keep making improvements and put together a solid 48 minutes. We have another tough one next week in Swain County. There are two options, lay down or rise to the occasion. I would like to think these guys have the heart and determination to learn and get back up.

My criticism probably is not harsh enough, but right now being negative won't do any good. The direction is definitely the right one. I would love for it to be instant, but it just isn;t going to be. It is a process.

Congrats Belfry and GO PANTHERS!
The only way your argument is legititmate PHS is if Varsity players for Belfry were still in the game!!! Heck I was wanting to make some comments about the game, but I am so ticked off that I am just gonna call it a night!!!! Be glad Haywood has enough class not to hang 80 on some of the teams they play!!!!
bucslover68 Wrote:The only way your argument is legititmate PHS is if Varsity players for Belfry were still in the game!!! Heck I was wanting to make some comments about the game, but I am so ticked off that I am just gonna call it a night!!!! Be glad Haywood has enough class not to hang 80 on some of the teams they play!!!!
Jesus Christ. Give your thoughts on the freaking game then. Don't act like someone giving their opinion is going to ruin your night after dominating a rival again. Give me a break. (And I am on your side about not RUTS)
God EKU you are soooo nice and really no disrespect to PHS Forever cause like I said I really buy most of your posts, but to question the ethics of a man who had the ball on the 10 yard line against a 6A school and was jamming it down there throat and he takes two knees in a 13 point ballgame??? give me a break....I think you just wrote a reactionary post and will maybe look at it later and realize that!!! Panthers played real aggressive and good in the first half and craziness contrubuted to a much more lop-sided score than it should have been, but when you start subbing in and out with 18 minutes left in the game you are not at all running it up!!!!
Peace PHS you aren't ruining my night, and you have a right to your opinion as I do mine, but have some objectivity to it and some perspective is all I am saying. We gave props all night to the Panthers on their successes and I even said NO team deserves that 46 second stretch they went through...I guarantee Coach Mac does not view Haywood as running it up...I have beat the horse dead...Over with and move on!!!
First Pikeville can take this game one of two ways. They can take the way they played in the first half and use it to spring board a season or get down with what happened in second half. But they got a nice team, so don't hang heads.
Belfry needed the bad first half IMO just to keep them in check after an impressive start. They left points ont he field and didn't play sharp.
The ball bounced Pikeville's way early and that changed in the second half and it got ugly.
As for Belfry running up the score, I didn't think so. It was young guys playing and with the brutal schedule lets face it Belfry don't have a lot of opportunity to get the young guys in varsity action. Another thing Belfry does that a lot on fourth late in the game, you rarely see Haywood send the freshman team in for a punt in a varsity game, when they do he usually has to call a timeout to set it up or send in the varsity to punt and he chooses to go for it often. All of the plays late were dives.
Panther Thunder no disrespect but It just riled me when he said that he lost respect for their staff for running it up and I know you agree with me and all in all no big deal...But to question his ethics just got to me....Good Luck next week in NC!!!
You don't go for it on 4th down with a minute left up 49-14.
JP.... you forgot to mention with your FRESHMEN team in!!! LMAO
long_time_pirate Wrote:JP.... you forgot to mention with your FRESHMEN team in!!! LMAO

You don't get it and it can't be taught to you.
jetpilot Wrote:You don't go for it on 4th down with a minute left up 49-14.

I agree you really dont go for it. But there is an instance with it being close yardage you go ahead and give your youngsters playing time and let them get better. I agree they cant help that Pikevilles team didnt stop it. But Congrads to Belfry on the win. Pikeville no need to hang your heads you played toe to toe with them the first half and did great. Pikeville will be a tough out come playoff time.
jetpilot Wrote:You don't get it and it can't be taught to you.

Thanks but no thanks if you expect to teach me anything. I prefer not to be fluent in sarcasm!