Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets talk tradition!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Actually, it was in the pre-game when I looked at the program for Past State Champions and thought how long ago the 80's were. About that time they played the intro music for both teams and I remembered wondering if Pikeville came out to Huey Lewis or if they went with REO Speedwagon. Can you fill us in? I won't hold it against you if you can't remember...that was a couple decades ago

Confusednicker::popcorn:
Here's the song Belfry comes out to:

Take Me Home, Country Roads By John Denver

Almost heaven, West Virginia,
Blue Ridge Mountains
Shenandoah River.
Life is old there,
Older than the trees,
Younger than the mountains
Growin' like a breeze.

Country roads, take me home
To the place where I belong:
West Virginia, mountain mamma,
Take me home, country roads.

All my mem'ries gathered 'round her,
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water.
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky,
Misty taste of moonshine,
Teardrop in my eye.

To the place I belong:

I hear her voice, in the mornin' hour she calls me,
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And drivin' down the road I get a feelin' that
I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

i know your talking about eastern ky but im gonna go west across the state and say my beloved cards from mayfield. probably gonna get bashed for bringing up the cards and thats ok but everyone knows it's a practical statement. when you think about tradition in ky high school fball mayfield will always be (and should) be in the conversation. atmosphere at war memeorial stadium is second to none. only field i know in wky that the tailgaters are right next to the field and never have to move. great pride and tradition.
^Nobody on here will question Mayfield's great tradition.
Haha. JP and EKU. Two heavyweights battling. Fun to watch. :popcorn:
jetpilot Wrote:Here's the song Belfry comes out to:

I guess it's another case of Belfry copying Pikeville then..Hilliard Howard and Steve Bailey were the originators of using it. In typical Belfry fashion, we just did it a little bigger and a little better.
jetpilot Wrote:Here's the song Belfry comes out to:

Almost heaven, West Virginia,
Blue Ridge Mountains
Shenandoah River.
Life is old there,
Older than the trees,
Younger than the mountains
Growin' like a breeze.

All my mem'ries gathered 'round her,
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water.
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky,
Misty taste of moonshine,
Teardrop in my eye.

To the place I belong:

I hear her voice, in the mornin' hour she calls me,
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And drivin' down the road I get a feelin' that
I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

Jetpilot & EKU, you are killing me. :hilarious::popcorn:
Sheww I'm glad EKU awoke from his slumber to lend some assistance...Glory Days!!! they passed them by Glory Days...Glory Days!!!!
:popcorn: :Thumbs:
bucslover68 Wrote:Sheww I'm glad EKU awoke from his slumber to lend some assistance...Glory Days!!! they passed them by Glory Days...Glory Days!!!!

LOL

"Back when we used to be State Title Contenders you had to drive on two mountains even to get to Belfry! Whyyyyyyyyyyy...I even remember that not only was Dawahare's still open..but their kids actually even played for Pikeville! Those were the days I tell ya."

(On a side note I miss Dawahare's)
EKUAlum05 Wrote:LOL

"Back when we used to be State Title Contenders you had to drive on two mountains even to get to Belfry! Whyyyyyyyyyyy...I even remember that not only was Dawahare's still open..but their kids actually even played for Pikeville! Those were the days I tell ya."

I keep waiting for the banjo music in the background every time I go to Belfry.
Confusednicker:

Side note, I miss Dawahares too. Keep it up guys, this is entertaining because it's not about whether or not Harlan County should be #1. :eyeroll:
PHSForever Wrote:Keep it up guys, this is entertaining because it's not about whether or not Harlan County should be #1. :eyeroll:

No comment :eyeroll:
PHSForever Wrote:I keep waiting for the banjo music in the background every time I go to Belfry.
Confusednicker:

Side note, I miss Dawahares too. Keep it up guys, this is entertaining because it's not about whether or not Harlan County should be #1. :eyeroll:
Or how Perry Central invented football.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:OK OK I will admit it...while sitting at the State Finals last year the thought did cross my mind, "I feel sorry for Pikeville fans...they used to come to games like this".

EKUAlum05 Wrote:LOL

Haha I miss the old road to Belfry. New 119 is really cool and you can always spot Belfry fans going to away games. Muffler dragging w/sparks flying, skull in the back window with the eyes that light up red when they hit the brakes, Belfry bumper sticker, WV license plates, and Food City bags stuffed with clothes thrown in the back window...
bucslover68 Wrote:I have told people that out of the 4 teams I watched that day in 2003, that Danville was the best...their backfield was scary...In 2004, I disagree,but that's cool...I think Belfry was the best of the 4...Last year I thought Mayfield was much better than Belfry's runner-up team in AAA...But you know at least I can be objective some...Question Pilot...Has Pikeville ever had a bad team, you don't seem to think so?...Getting beat by South Floyd and Neon a couple of times over the years must have stung at least a little bit...Just kidding brother...come over and get some good food Friday night...All Panther fans are welcome IMO!!! Just bring your own drinks is all we ask!!!

Wow! That scary backfield only lost one game all year to Boyle: 45-26.

I'm guessing you missed seeing them that day to make that statement. :Thumbs:
Panther Thunder Wrote:Or how Perry Central invented basketball.

I missed the joke because i'm an idiot but I fixed your post for you.
jetpilot Wrote:Haha I miss the old road to Belfry. New 119 is really cool and you can always spot Belfry fans going to away games. Muffler dragging w/sparks flying, skull in the back window with the eyes that light up red when they hit the brakes, Belfry bumper sticker, WV license plates, and Food City bags stuffed with clothes thrown in the back window...

We can't all drive those hovercrafts and private jets that Pikeville fans would try to claim they all own.

I do find it remarkable that even with the improvement in roads that Pikeville fans still show up to CAM 20 minutes after kickoff and leave at Halftime. I just can't comprehend why they leave SOOOOOOOOOOO early...it's not like they are getting home so late now...why is that? :pondering:

That's right...they don't stay for blowouts.
^They are leaving because you can get to the game 20 minutes late, pick up a Belfry chick and be out by halftime.
jetpilot Wrote:^They are leaving because you can get to the game 20 minutes late, pick up a Belfry chick and be out by halftime.

Is that what the Pikeville football team has decided to do the past decade as well? They must be leaving before the game even starts.
^I'm sure they don't have any trouble picking up Belfry chicks either.
you know i'm just funnin' w/ya eku
Bell County has not had a losing season since 1982.
jetpilot Wrote:^I'm sure they don't have any trouble picking up Belfry chicks either.
you know i'm just funnin' w/ya eku

Yes..everyone reading this... or those who are new to the site... this is considered friendly trash talking. Me and JP go way back. Don't think we are going to meet in a dimly lit alley behind the Expo Center and come to blows... we'll save that for those snooty Pikeville lawyers and their paralegals on their "lunch" breaks.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Yes..everyone reading this... or those who are new to the site... this is considered friendly trash talking. Me and JP go way back. Don't think we are going to meet in a dimly lit alley behind the Expo Center and come to blows... we'll save that for those snooty Pikeville lawyers and their paralegals on their "lunch" breaks.

Best post of the day haha. I have to talk trash because I don't have the upper hand talking about the rivalry at this particular time.:biggrin:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Is that what the Pikeville football team has decided to do the past decade as well? They must be leaving before the game even starts.

No, I think they hung around for a while in 2006 (24-20 loss), 2002 (20-13 loss) and 2000 (31-14 win). Most of the time we're 20 minutes late because we have to stop and help Belfry fans tie their mufflers back up, or stop them from following the traffic arrows around the parking lot in a circle. Being neighborly and all, ya know. :biggrin:
i will say one it was always a great place to play Danville
Always liked watching games @ Putnam Stadium. That place is drenched in history and tradition....
Hatz Wrote:Wow! That scary backfield only lost one game all year to Boyle: 45-26.

I'm guessing you missed seeing them that day to make that statement. :Thumbs:

Hatz did you actually read what I wrote or ASSume I wrote something else!!! I said that IMO Danville had the best team on the field that day!!!! Their backfield was fantastic to watch!!!
bucslover68 Wrote:Hatz did you actually read what I wrote or ASSume I wrote something else!!! I said that IMO Danville had the best team on the field that day!!!! Their backfield was fantastic to watch!!!

Just ironic that on the same field BCHS was beating Highlands 44-10.

IMO is a great disclaimer. Well, at least I didn't call you a name. :yikes:
What teams are considered Eastern Kentucky and when you say tradition, is it wins or history or fan support or all of the above. I have heard Highlands mentioned a few times in this discussion, but is it considered Eastern Ky? Or does Highlands only matter when an Eastern Ky team beats them?
My brother started Mike Linebacker for the 93 State runner up team at P-Burg, I called him up and he said that Belfry was the toughest place other than Danville he ever went to in high school. I think he said they burned a effigy of him and some of the other players on the old roadside leading up to vipperman lol.