Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best overall player in the mountains???
who and why?
their are quiet a few, that's a tough one.
Randy Maynard qb pikeville. dual threat. makes plays throwing and running. got alot of heart and one of the hardest runners ive seen in awhile. also makes plays on defense.
My short list:
Jude- Johnson Central
Davenport-Bell
Canady-Knox
Huff- PCC

Best of the Rest:
McMillian- Harlan County
Johnson- Letcher Central
Trent- Breathitt
Dixon- Belfry
Crisp-Pburg
Wilson-Somerset
Boggs- Pike Central
Austin Pray-pcc
the kid has it all that a coach would want in a player, he can throw(played backup qb for downtown bert brown), he can run, catch. and has tremendous footwork. just need to get bigger.

and that kid from north laurel that wears the #1 jersey forgot his name. but hes a excellent athlete.
Going by the key word "overall", my vote has to go to Randy Maynard also. As the other poster said, dual threat QB, makes fantastic plays on D as well. But you also have to consider Overbay from Harlan, Jamerson from Pburg, and Shouse from Pike Central. I don't believe Boggs plays defense (I could be wrong, haven't seen him on D in a game though). I don't know about the other players enough to really have an opinion on them, but I'm sure they are all very talented.
Quote:My short list:
Jude- Johnson Central
Davenport-Bell
Canady-Knox
Huff- PCC

i actually like this small list but, when i seen canady play in person i wasn't very impressed, maybe he just had a bad game who knows, but IMO i dont think he is as good as everyone puts him out to be, but he is still one hell of a football player dont get me wrong
not seen randy play, but i will take your word for it. he sounds like a jordan amis type qb
matt robinson is gotta be mentioned in this, cant believe no one has said anything about him!
Quote:matt robinson is gotta be mentioned in this, cant believe no one has said anything about him!

fo real! that dude is an animal, pure ruthless. when he runs the ball he takes it straight up the gut and down your throat. on defense....well we all know the story there lol
Alex Lange for Somerset plays quarterback, runningback, wide receiver, kicker, punter and linebacker. He's like a Swiss Army Knife for the Briar Jumpers. I'm sure if they needed him to he would play offensive line as well.
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:fo real! that dude is an animal, pure ruthless. when he runs the ball he takes it straight up the gut and down your throat. on defense....well we all know the story there lol

if he was the starting running back no doubt in my mind he could have close to 200 yards a game!
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:matt robinson is gotta be mentioned in this, cant believe no one has said anything about him!

This. Lord knows how many tackles this kid has had this season, and he's had 7 or 8 Rushing TD's, and 2 Pick Sixs.
PHSForever Wrote:Going by the key word "overall", my vote has to go to Randy Maynard also. As the other poster said, dual threat QB, makes fantastic plays on D as well. But you also have to consider Overbay from Harlan, Jamerson from Pburg, and Shouse from Pike Central. I don't believe Boggs plays defense (I could be wrong, haven't seen him on D in a game though). I don't know about the other players enough to really have an opinion on them, but I'm sure they are all very talented.

Randy Maynard is one of the best. He is not the best anything but he is pretty daggone good at everything. He plays QB well, little above average passer, way above average rusher. He plays Safety and OLB both very well. I know I said he isn't the best at anything but if he were it would be as a long snapper. His snaps are way above average and on punts his ability to cover is exceptional. I almost forgot about his abilities as a receiver and kick returner. He is an above average receiver as well and has returned a kickoff for a touchdown as a sophomore in his last game as a returner. He has scored via interception return TD, fumble recovery TD, receiving TD, passing TD, rushing TD, and Kick return TD. Randy Maynard may not be a QB but he is a hell of a FOOTBALL PLAYER. You will be presses to find a better rounded player.

As for other candidates I would definitely put up Jamerson, Shouse, Warren, Davenport, Skyles, Jude, Cannady, etc...

These are just the ones I know most about. There are others I have heard good things about, but not enough to add them.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Randy Maynard is one of the best. He is not the best anything but he is pretty daggone good at everything. He plays QB well, little above average passer, way above average rusher. He plays Safety and OLB both very well. I know I said he isn't the best at anything but if he were it would be as a long snapper. His snaps are way above average and on punts his ability to cover is exceptional. I almost forgot about his abilities as a receiver and kick returner. He is an above average receiver as well and has returned a kickoff for a touchdown as a sophomore in his last game as a returner. He has scored via interception return TD, fumble recovery TD, receiving TD, passing TD, rushing TD, and Kick return TD. Randy Maynard may not be a QB but he is a hell of a FOOTBALL PLAYER. You will be presses to find a better rounded player.

As for other candidates I would definitely put up Jamerson, Shouse, Warren, Davenport, Skyles, Jude, Cannady, etc...

These are just the ones I know most about. There are others I have heard good things about, but not enough to add them.

should say pressed. On my phone.
My short list would look like this:

JJ Jude - Johnson Central
Matthew Robinson - Perry Co. Central
Corey Davenport - Bell County
Jude - JC
Davenport - Bell
Jamerson - Pburg
Maynard - Pikeville
MacMillan - Harlan County
Robinson - PCC
Wilson - Somerset
Will Thomas Collins - Breathitt

Just to name a few. There are some great players in the mountains.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
I don't think anyone has mentioned Chase Roark from Middlesboro or Bianchi from Harlan who is being courted heavily by Cincinatti. Two juniors who will in my opinion go d-1 are Overbey and Saragas who may be listed 3rd in overall state for passing this week at 301 yd's per game.
Matt Robinson from Perry Central all day long
The one player that I can think of from the mountains that dominates his position and sets himself apart from all the others is Zack Burgy Vanhoose of Pikeville. D-1 is no problem for him.
Aslan Wrote:Matthew Robinson. Best linebacker in the Mnts and he's turned into a hell of a running back.

:Thumbs::rockon:
Randy Maynard of Pikeville would have to be considered at the top, or at least near the top becaue of his versatility of play. Just consider the positions he plays, and plays very well. Best at any one position? Don't think so, but taking in account what he can do overall makes him the best "overall",imho.
Matt Robinson & JJ Jude...its a toss up i really can't decide.
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:not seen randy play, but i will take your word for it. he sounds like a jordan amis type qb

amis was one of a kind, tough kid
#56 John Brewer MLB/G... Leslie Co.

Kid plays every play.. As hard nosed as they come..
I Rule The World Wrote:#56 John Brewer MLB/G... Leslie Co.

Kid plays every play.. As hard nosed as they come..

good athlete but not close to being the best overall player in the mountains!
Jake Middleton from HCHS is a heck of a RB and LB. He has3runs better than 80 yards!
PHSForever Wrote:Going by the key word "overall", my vote has to go to Randy Maynard also. As the other poster said, dual threat QB, makes fantastic plays on D as well. But you also have to consider Overbay from Harlan, Jamerson from Pburg, and Shouse from Pike Central. I don't believe Boggs plays defense (I could be wrong, haven't seen him on D in a game though). I don't know about the other players enough to really have an opinion on them, but I'm sure they are all very talented.

Boggs plays Defense - 1 of the best on the team. They don't use him unless they need the STOP. He was put in during the Powell Game & that's how they came back. Not been needed much in other games but will be used in tougher games is what they've been saying at school. What I saw he's pretty good Defensive Player. Played Great Defense last year also. IMO hard to beat Boggs - he can throw it, run it, plus play Defense. Offensive Weapon & Defensive Weapon.