Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 26 Lawrence County 6
First of all congrats to P-burg on a fine game. Best of luck in the rest of the season. Now as to the "Big Show". Now what I question is wheither it was an Awesome Entrance or was it staged Wanton Endangerment. You know when you take a speeding motorcycle behind running athletes and through them down a dirt road only inches seperate things from something terrible. My hat goes off to the refs. I really don't know how they managed to spot/mark the ball in all that dust. I for one just kept hoping that fire truck would water the place down. Again good team and terrible playing situation.
As much money as Prestonsburg football brings in, you would think that they'd be able to afford some type of playing surface. That field is a joke and looks like it was painted by a 2 year old.
BCF4L Wrote:As much money as Prestonsburg football brings in, you would think that they'd be able to afford some type of playing surface. That field is a joke and looks like it was painted by a 2 year old.

They tried to fund raise for it and couldn't get enough money. The local businesses such as Appalachian Wireless and Kinzer drilling wasn't really interested so that hurt them. The county isn't going to pay for it because that would be expensive to do all the schools in the county. So unless Pburg went to a city school or one of the bigger business would want to pitch in then I think they are stuck with what they got. They could probally work on upgrading their practice feild some and actually using it to practice to save the grass on the feild. However you still have all the youth games to worry about too.
cat86 Wrote:Notes from a hot, muggy night in Pburg...

I am a HUGE Coach Cecil fan. He is a FIRST CLASS individual, a FIRST CLASS coach, and if given enough time, he will restore LC to its glory days in a FIRST CLASS manner. He's just a great guy.

LC has talent, that is undeniable. They have good size and #75 looks like a giant on the field. He has great size, good feet, good hip flexibility, and is a fantastic blocker. I can see why Marshall got on him early.

The effort was there, but it appeared that at some key positions LC was just a little young and inexperienced. That will improve over the year.

The biggest thing I saw that LC was missing was pure, unadulterated SPEED. They seemed to be lacking the types of players they had so much of in the past who could just blow by you and take it to the house every time they touch the ball. However, I thought their game plan was extremely effective until Pburg got hot in the second quarter and put a bunch of points on the board. Once LC got behind and had to play catch-up, then it was a struggle for them. If they can get ahead of a team, run behind that big O line, mix in the short passes they were so effective on in the first half, and keep the clock moving, they will be a very difficult out come playoff time. Kudos to Coach Cecil for adopting this style of offense, as it gives them the very best chance at winning with his current personnel.

Prestonsburg came out a little flat to open the game, and had to rely on a goal line stand to stop LC's first drive. Then they proceeded to march 90+ yards for their first score WITHOUT THROWING A SINGLE PASS (yes, you read that correctly...). Losing Jamerson seemed to stun them a little bit, but once they got the ship righted, they utilized their other offensive weapons and took over the game in the second quarter.

The second half was a slugfest, just 2 good mountain teams hammering away at each other. Prestonsburg got a little conservative with their playcalling (as they should with a big lead), and even though both teams seemed to have success moving the ball up and down the field, neither team found the endzone.

Big nights from Grant Anderson and Bryson Williams. Kain Collins was simply an animal pounding the ball up the middle. Man, he runs hard... When Prestonsburg is mixing the deep ball to Jamerson and Williams, the short passes to Anderson, Griffith, and Jarrell, and pounding Collins up the middle, they are tough to handle.

Big shout out to Chris Cook, too. I spent the better part of the night watching for plays when he got matched up against #75 from LC (mostly when Prestonsburg was on offense). That, boys and girls, was a battle of 2 big, talented football players going up against each other. 2 of the best linemen in the region, if not THE best, right there...

LC keep your heads up. You will get better from this game, learn from your mistakes, and become an improved football team. The talent is there, the coaching is there, you just need to get some experience and a few wins under your belt to get some momentum and confidence.

Good win, Blackcats. Next week is Belfry, who comes off a huge win against a Lexington team...always a good thing. Let's get Jamerson healthy and get ready for a huge awesome crowd next Friday. It's gonna be a barnburner...

I agree. Coach Cecil is a class act and a great coach. Give him time.
BCF4L Wrote:As much money as Prestonsburg football brings in, you would think that they'd be able to afford some type of playing surface. That field is a joke and looks like it was painted by a 2 year old.

Too many games are played there there to be any hope of good grass. All age levels of football in town use it. It -really- should have been watered earlier in the day...just to keep down the dust.

About the game - each team picked up some positives to take home. Very workmanlike effort on each side of the ball after the half. Halftime score was the final score.

Only difference - Prestonsburg locked its defense down a quarter earlier.
Great effort by the Blackcats. Getting Jamerson healthy for the rest of the season is going to be key if the Cats want to be sucessful in the playoffs. Have to comment on Roy Roberts the PA announcer. He is a pure professional. He calls out the ball carrier, the tackler, the yard line, down and distance. NO CHEERLEADING!!! Maybe other schools need to send their PA folks to P-burg to find out how it should be done!
Like I was telling Jon in the prediction thread, the coaches like the field the way it is. Sure everyone wants to see them put down turf and if they really wanted it they could have had it by now. I'd say we will have turf within 5 years, but I do think our crappy field gives our guys the advantage playing on the dirt & sand.

We absolutely need new speakers though.
Again as I said previously the Blackcats have a nice team.I sincerely hope they go far in the playoffs. However there is much to be desired from the Friday Nights at Prestonsburg. As a visiting team my suggestion would be that you not allow your Freshman cheerleaders to go to the restroom without some sort of security. They will be subject to a physical assault and cursing as they pass the P-burg pep section. In addition fans who drive will need to have security in mind for their vehicles behind the stands. This in addition to the potential of getting "Brown Lung" by the players and officials and make for questionable "Friday Night Lights" in the city of Prestonsburg.
I thought that Lawrence would be able to keep this game a little closer but, they're obviously seem to be going through some growing pains!

Congrats Blackcats!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Matman Wrote:They tried to fund raise for it and couldn't get enough money. The local businesses such as Appalachian Wireless and Kinzer drilling wasn't really interested so that hurt them. The county isn't going to pay for it because that would be expensive to do all the schools in the county. So unless Pburg went to a city school or one of the bigger business would want to pitch in then I think they are stuck with what they got. They could probally work on upgrading their practice feild some and actually using it to practice to save the grass on the feild. However you still have all the youth games to worry about too.

That is not true. Kinzer drilling would have given them the money. The Floyd County Board would not approve it. Their issue is that its not fair to the other schools in the county. Well my answer to that is how many Regional Championships are AC/BL/SF winning/playing in the last idk 242985 years? I get so sick of this area because everythings got to be "fair "everythings got to be "even" . Well ya know thats not life . Thats not how it should be. Rather then rewarding the kids/coaches/community at Prestonsburg for their year round work and dedication to their program by giving them a turf field, they are forced to play on a field that is mocked by opposing teams. No offense to Allen Central, Betsy Layne, or South Floyd, because I myself have ties all three schools. But they DO NOT put in the same time nor deliver the same product as Prestonsburg. Thats why the fields is worn out! THEY ARE ALWAYS ON IT PUTTING IN WORK!!!! It is a crying dirty shame that these kids have to play on that field. Something needs to happen SOON
OldTymer Wrote:That is not true. Kinzer drilling would have given them the money. The Floyd County Board would not approve it. Their issue is that its not fair to the other schools in the county. Well my answer to that is how many Regional Championships are AC/BL/SF winning/playing in the last idk 242985 years? I get so sick of this area because everythings got to be "fair "everythings got to be "even" . Well ya know thats not life . Thats not how it should be. Rather then rewarding the kids/coaches/community at Prestonsburg for their year round work and dedication to their program by giving them a turf field, they are forced to play on a field that is mocked by opposing teams. No offense to Allen Central, Betsy Layne, or South Floyd, because I myself have ties all three schools. But they DO NOT put in the same time nor deliver the same product as Prestonsburg. Thats why the fields is worn out! THEY ARE ALWAYS ON IT PUTTING IN WORK!!!! It is a crying dirty shame that these kids have to play on that field. Something needs to happen SOON

Yes, this is the problem with Prestonsburg not being an independent school. Donated funds for a big project will not be accepted in such an earmarked fashion by the Floyd Co. Board of Education.

Basically put, Prestonsburg can't have it if ALL the other county high schools can't.

With all these local teams having turf, and the success that program has had. It is crazy. The cost of the turf would be paid for in 20 years just from the lack of maintenance.
I really wish Prestonsburg were a independent school.
OldTymer Wrote:That is not true. Kinzer drilling would have given them the money. The Floyd County Board would not approve it. Their issue is that its not fair to the other schools in the county. Well my answer to that is how many Regional Championships are AC/BL/SF winning/playing in the last idk 242985 years? I get so sick of this area because everythings got to be "fair "everythings got to be "even" . Well ya know thats not life . Thats not how it should be. Rather then rewarding the kids/coaches/community at Prestonsburg for their year round work and dedication to their program by giving them a turf field, they are forced to play on a field that is mocked by opposing teams. No offense to Allen Central, Betsy Layne, or South Floyd, because I myself have ties all three schools. But they DO NOT put in the same time nor deliver the same product as Prestonsburg. Thats why the fields is worn out! THEY ARE ALWAYS ON IT PUTTING IN WORK!!!! It is a crying dirty shame that these kids have to play on that field. Something needs to happen SOON

Granted Prestonsburg does have more product. But no way, shape or form are you in any way able to say they put out more effort fourth. Because you don't know how other teams practice? You aren't there.
Eric C. Conn offered to put down turf at Betsy Layne but was shut down by the board of education.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Granted Prestonsburg does have more product. But no way, shape or form are you in any way able to say they put out more effort fourth. Because you don't know how other teams practice? You aren't there.

OldTymer has a point.

Prestonsburg's entire team is out in the weight room the entire off-season and majority of the them run track to stay in shape. Compared to the other high schools who only get about 10-15 boys who are committed year round. Granted that some play other sports during the year, but fact is Prestonsburg's players lift weights at least 3 times a week during the winter and spring. Some lift 5 days a week.

That's why Prestonsburg is playing late in November every year and the other Floyd County schools are ready for basketball to begin.
I was in the press box and I just wanted to say for the record that the people up in the box from Prestonsburg were nothing but great to us. They were very generous and classy and helped us with anything that we needed to do the game. I just wanted to say thank you to the guys who were up there.

As for the game the Bulldogs defense didnt play well at all in the first half especially in the 2nd qaurter and that was when Pburg jumped out to the big lead. The Bulldogs looked like early they could have done anything they wanted to moving the football. Good call to go for it on 4th down but why call a timeout and run the same play you just did? I personally though Kiser got the first down but they ref's didnt and they didn't even measure for it. Pburg is really physical and both teams gave it everything they had, just wish the Dawgs could have thrown it more in the 2nd half.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I really wish Prestonsburg were a independent school.

Everyone from Betsy Layne wishes you all were an independent school too because we think you all suck (joke). :biggrin:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:OldTymer has a point.

Prestonsburg's entire team is out in the weight room the entire off-season and majority of the them run track to stay in shape. Compared to the other high schools who only get about 10-15 boys who are committed year round. Granted that some play other sports during the year, but fact is Prestonsburg's players lift weights at least 3 times a week during the winter and spring. Some lift 5 days a week.

That's why Prestonsburg is playing late in November every year and the other Floyd County schools are ready for basketball to begin.

Congrats! You are the only ones who do that? Not! Betsy Layne was in the weight room as well.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Congrats! You are the only ones who do that? Not! Betsy Layne was in the weight room as well.

Did I not say like other schools who only have 10-15 that are only committed year round?
It is a crying dirty shame P-Burg has to play on that terrible field. Our boys are not second class citizens and deserve the best. If ever we could use an artificial surface like Sheldon Clark and Shelby Valley it is this year. This team has some players with great speed and that type surface makes them even faster. The money is there. Floyd county seems to always be behind in something and this is a prime example. P-Burg is a first class program that needs a first class field to play on.
congrats prestonsburg