Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati Princeton guard Kelsey Mitchell being ranked No. 1 in 2014 class by ESPN
When Taft boys’ basketball coach Mark Mitchell learned his daughter, Kelsey, had been listed the nation’s No.1-ranked player in the 2014 class on Thursday, he was floored.

“It was pretty amazing,” Mark said. “It’s funny because it’s your kid. Man, this is something else. It kind of takes you back.”

Kelsey, a 5-foot-8 ½ sophomore guard, is the nation’s No. 1 player overall in the 2014 class by the ESPN HoopGurlz Terrific 25 rankings on ESPN.com.

What’s even more amazing was Kelsey’s reaction on Sept. 1 when she learned the news. Kelsey told her parents the ranking didn’t mean anything, but instead wanted to know what time she would work out that day, according to Mark.

Mark, who led the Taft boys’ basketball team to the Division III state title last season, said he found out about the No. 1 ranking about 8:30 a.m. Sept. 1. Kelsey found out that afternoon and Princeton High School learned of the distinction today.

“I think Kelsey is very deserving of this ranking,” Princeton coach Jill Phillips said. “She is constantly working to improve her game on both ends of the court. I am very proud of her.”

Kelsey, named The Enquirer Division I player of the year last season, averaged 19.4 points, 3.9 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 2.9 steals for the Vikings last season. She was Division I first-team all-state and the Greater Miami Conference player of the year.

Kelsey, who turns 16 on Nov. 12, has more than 30 offers, according to Mark and she didin’t have a real frontrunner at the start of this month.

Mark said Kelsey would like to stay relatively close to home so family could drive to watch her play. Mark said that Kelsey would consider visits that included Michigan State, Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville and Tennessee.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2011/0...s-by-espn/