Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best QB in the mountains????
lets hear it??
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:lets hear it??
Right now (and I emphasize the right now part), I'd have to go with a tie between Maynard of Pikeville and the Boggs from Pike Central. Maynard can beat you with his arm or legs, so I might give him a slight edge. But the kid from Harlan is outstanding as well, Siragas (sp?)? Several other QB's I've not yet seen this year, so it is still too early to tell. Boggs is way up on the pocket passer list and has a cannon for an arm, so I mean no disrespect to him, I'm just going by overall skill set, and I think Maynard is a better scrambler when the pocket breaks down, combined with a decent arm.
PHSForever Wrote:Right now (and I emphasize the right now part), I'd have to go with a tie between Maynard of Pikeville and the Boggs from Pike Central. Maynard can beat you with his arm or legs, so I might give him a slight edge. But the kid from Harlan is outstanding as well, Siragas (sp?)? Several other QB's I've not yet seen this year, so it is still too early to tell. Boggs is way up on the pocket passer list and has a cannon for an arm, so I mean no disrespect to him, I'm just going by overall skill set, and I think Maynard is a better scrambler when the pocket breaks down, combined with a decent arm.

id take huff from pcc over boggs any day!, the other QB's you mentioned idk about!
Ty Saragas went 17 of 27 for 338yd.s and 5 TD's and no picks. Against,then,9th ranked Williamsburg last Friday night. Stats to date are 36 of 59 for 538 yd's and 6 Td's and 1 pick also 1 TD run. He did this against 1A top ten teams in 2 games.
IMO, it's pretty clear Chase Roark is the best QB in the mountains.

Stats:

43/60 72% 658 YDS 8 TD 0 INT
20 Carries 225 YDS 3 TD
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:IMO, it's pretty clear Chase Roark is the best QB in the mountains.

Stats:

20 Carries 225 YDS 3 TD

good stats
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:IMO, it's pretty clear Chase Roark is the best QB in the mountains.

Stats:

20 Carries 225 YDS 3 TD

My grandmother can do that against Bourbon Co. and Hancock Co. TN.
Roark is good but let's see what he does against a team that can play a lick.

Stats:

20 Carries 225 YDS 3 TD

Better wait and see how his stats look after the Bell game. It's easy to put up big numbers against sub par competition.
Aslan Wrote:I don't think Huff or Boggs are the best QB's in the mountains, but they're definitely top 10.

i was just sayn i would take huff over boggs!:ChairHit:
^I think Huff and Boggs are top 2 lol
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:i was just sayn i would take huff over boggs!:ChairHit:

Could it be because Boggs left your PCC (that is Perry Co Central) for the other PCC (Pike County Central)? Both are good QB's & this I'll agree with after reading about the Prestonsburg thread and Huff's performance. I watched the Johnson Central game on IHIGH and I'll have to go with Boggs. I have watched Boggs for the last 2 years and believe me, he was a threat last year and he's faster and stronger this year. He will be a FORCE to be contended with THIS YEAR.

I agree with BOTH being the top 2 in the Mountains! But, again, I'll take Boggs over Huff. I feel he's definitely stronger & sees the field better. Again, MO. Good luck to both!!
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:id take huff from pcc over boggs any day!, the other QB's you mentioned idk about!
Huff's numbers are pretty impressive so far in terms of yardage. he is 26-53 for 534 yards and 3 TD's against no picks. Not too sloppy for playing Prestonsburg and Johnson Central, so I will give him the leg up. Had not looked at his stats. Randy Maynard from Pikeville is 16-27 for 283 yards, 3 TD's and no picks. Additionally he ran for 60 yards against Harlan, not sure about Tellico Plains because rushing stats were not posted for that, but the team had 230 yards rushing, I know that much. He went for 163 passing yards against Harlan as well, so he accounted for 213 total yards of offense against one of the better 1A teams in the mountains (and a 1A top 10 in the state IMO), as far as I am concerned.

I still stick with Maynard for being able to do it on the ground as well as through the air when needed and senior leadership, if I wanted a QB to start a team around. If I wanted a spread QB, between Huff, Saragas, and Maynard, I would go with Saragas because of a higher completion percentage, which indicates to me better accuracy overall. In terms of yards per completion, Huff is better (20.53 yards per catch), followed by Maynard (17.68 ypc) and Saragas (14.94 ypc). I would look more into Boggs, but Pike Central does not post stats. Perhaps someone can enlighten us? But I won't read much into his stats right now because they came against Phelps and Greenup Co. Maynard had ONE tough opponent (Harlan), and Huff has had two tough opponents, which may have affected his completion percentage as well. Interesting topic for debate!
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:id take huff from pcc over boggs any day!, the other QB's you mentioned idk about!
Huff's numbers are pretty impressive so far in terms of yardage. he is 26-53 for 534 yards and 3 TD's against no picks. Not too sloppy for playing Prestonsburg and Johnson Central, so I will give him the leg up. Had not looked at his stats. Randy Maynard from Pikeville is 16-27 for 283 yards, 3 TD's and no picks. Additionally he ran for 60 yards against Harlan, not sure about Tellico Plains because rushing stats were not posted for that, but the team had 230 yards rushing, I know that much. He went for 163 passing yards against Harlan as well, so he accounted for 213 total yards of offense against one of the better 1A teams in the mountains (and a 1A top 10 in the state IMO), as far as I am concerned.

I still stick with Maynard for being able to do it on the ground as well as through the air when needed and senior leadership, if I wanted a QB to start a team around. If I wanted a spread QB, between Huff, Saragas, and Maynard, I would go with Saragas because of a higher completion percentage, which indicates to me better accuracy overall. In terms of yards per completion, Huff is better (20.53 yards per catch), followed by Maynard (17.68 ypc) and Saragas (14.94 ypc). I would look more into Boggs, but Pike Central does not post stats. Perhaps someone can enlighten us? But I won't read much into his stats right now because they came against Phelps and Greenup Co. Maynard had ONE tough opponent (Harlan), and Huff has had two tough opponents, which may have affected his completion percentage as well. Interesting topic for debate!
Aslan Wrote:I don't think Huff or Boggs are the best QB's in the mountains, but they're definitely top 10.

PHSForever Wrote:Huff's numbers are pretty impressive so far in terms of yardage. he is 26-53 for 534 yards and 3 TD's against no picks. Not too sloppy for playing Prestonsburg and Johnson Central, so I will give him the leg up. Had not looked at his stats. Randy Maynard from Pikeville is 16-27 for 283 yards, 3 TD's and no picks. Additionally he ran for 60 yards against Harlan, not sure about Tellico Plains because rushing stats were not posted for that, but the team had 230 yards rushing, I know that much. He went for 163 passing yards against Harlan as well, so he accounted for 213 total yards of offense against one of the better 1A teams in the mountains (and a 1A top 10 in the state IMO), as far as I am concerned.

huff would have about 250 more yards i would say if the WR would of caught the great passes he has made that has hit them righ in the hands, but they didnt.... i agree tho, this could be a interesting topic to debate specially later in the season!
Boggs strength & speed have definitely improved since last year. Even though some of you consider him a pocket quarterback, he has the uncanny ability to find the open man which you just cannot teach. He had over 400 yds in Greenup game with longest being 80 yds (60 in air) & several more 50+ yd passes. Call me crazy but I'll take Boggs any day. From the look of the colleges showing up at our games, there's several colleges interested also.
Huff's numbers are also a little bloated because of the YAC that his receivers run up.
Not taking anything away from the kid....
If I was in his spot I would throw a screen pass every play lol
He throws one of the prettiest deep balls I've ever seen.
he really does throw a darn pretty deep ball lol he has some talent for sure!
Dragonsdad Wrote:Ty Saragas went 17 of 27 for 338yd.s and 5 TD's and no picks. Against,then,9th ranked Williamsburg last Friday night. Stats to date are 36 of 59 for 538 yd's and 6 Td's and 1 pick also 1 TD run. He did this against 1A top ten teams in 2 games.

My vote goes to him. Cant argue with two consecutive top 10 teams in your class and stats like that.
Richard Trent for Breathitt county is becoming a more complete QB. I think that he is up an comming talent.
The BEST up & coming QB in the mountains will for sure be the Grisby kid at Prestonsburg High School, Cory Grisby. He is a freshman, from all I have heard spoken of the kid, nothing but good things ahead. Not only does this kid have super talent on the field, he has the brains to go with it. He is a straight A student, Governor’s Scholar, hard combo to find. If anyone knows more info about Pburg's backup QB please share.
All right let me say I love the Boggs kid...lol. Lets be real here. Boggs can throw the long or the short, it doesnt matter. How many QB's out there can put the ball 65 to 70 yards in the air and the WR never break stride. And he is very smart where he throw's it, out of 225 throws last year he had 5 int.. not bad. The first game he went 16 of 26 with 0 int 430 yards and 60 rushing 4 td. He can run, just ask Pburg from last year, he had 200 passing in the first half 200 rushing in the 2nd half. But that was last year..we are in a new year now. He is 6'3 and 200 lb. He is very strong and thick bodied.

Huff of Perry- I dont know alot about his stats. He stands 6 ft 4 195lbs. you will see a big change in him from last year, Coach Haddix has him looking real good and will only get better as the year goes on. I think alot of Kyle and his family, he and Alan went to alot of camps together this summer. Huff has a great arm and good speed the only thing he needs is more muscle for the next level jmo. As for him throwing in the flat hell look who he's throwing to- Beatty, White, Rankin, why not? I would like to wish Huff and his team the best this year.

It is easy to set here and say things about who is better. But how can we compare when no two teams play the same sch. There is alot of great QB's this year. I feel that the best QB's in the state are in the mountains, and they do not get enough recognition, JMO. Let's get to mid-season then come back to this topic.
1.Alan Boggs--Pike Co. Central.
2.Kyle Huff--PerryCentral
3.Alex Lange---Somerset
4.Adam Crisp--Prestonsburg
5.Richard Trent--Breathitt Co.
6.Chase Roark--Middlesboro
7.Logan Johnson---Letcher Central
8. Johnathan Barger--Knox Central
9.Randy Maynard-Pikeville
10.Ty Saragas-Harlan
I am not saying that Boggs and Huff are the only two QB's that need to be mentioned. I realize that Lawrence Co, Harlan Ind., Breathitt Co., Pikeville, Prestonsburg, and Middlesboro all have very top quality QB's. Boggs and Huff are the only two that I really have watched. Good luck to all of them this season, and stay healthy.
MVP2 Wrote:1.Alan Boggs--Pike Co. Central.
2.Kyle Huff--PerryCentral
3.Alex Lange---Somerset
4.Adam Crisp--Prestonsburg
5.Richard Trent--Breathitt Co.
6.Chase Roark--Middlesboro
7.Logan Johnson---Letcher Central
8. Johnathan Barger--Knox Central
9.Randy Maynard-Pikeville
10.Ty Saragas-Harlan

This is a very good observation on your part. Any of these 10 could be the state leading QB this year. :Thumbs:
Also, Belfry's QB, not sure what his name is- but Belfry showed some passing ability, and what little bit they threw the ball he did not look bad at all. JMO. But we all know that Belfry shows a little pass the beginning of the season, then ends up in the wishbone.
PHSForever Wrote:Huff's numbers are pretty impressive so far in terms of yardage. he is 26-53 for 534 yards and 3 TD's against no picks. Not too sloppy for playing Prestonsburg and Johnson Central, so I will give him the leg up. Had not looked at his stats. Randy Maynard from Pikeville is 16-27 for 283 yards, 3 TD's and no picks. Additionally he ran for 60 yards against Harlan, not sure about Tellico Plains because rushing stats were not posted for that, but the team had 230 yards rushing, I know that much. He went for 163 passing yards against Harlan as well, so he accounted for 213 total yards of offense against one of the better 1A teams in the mountains (and a 1A top 10 in the state IMO), as far as I am concerned.

I didn't realize that Pike Independent had played top quality opponents so far this season.
William Boggs Wrote:Also, Belfry's QB, not sure what his name is- but Belfry showed some passing ability, and what little bit they threw the ball he did not look bad at all. JMO. But we all know that Belfry shows a little pass the beginning of the season, then ends up in the wishbone.

I agree with that too. Tyler Williams (Belfry) and Jordy Brewer (HarlanCo) are both very good QBs in the Mts , just the offense they run we dont get to see much of their of the passing game. Both of these young guys could have made my list.
huff the edge strong arm athletic and hes god the stuff!
William Boggs Wrote:I didn't realize that Pike Independent had played top quality opponents so far this season.
Chill, it wasn't a knock on your son at all. It was an acknowledgement that the Greenup and Phelps defenses are NOWHERE near as good as Belfry and Prestonsburg, etc. If you believe Harlan isn't a top quality team, you need to look again. They will be making noise for a couple years to come, and actually have a couple of players at least that would have no problem cracking the starting lineup at Pike Central. Dalton Overbay comes to mind immediately.

What I meant was, I don't have any access to your son/nephew/whatever's stats, so I couldn't compare to the others in the conversation. Thank you for at least sharing some of them with us.