Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Practice??
Alot of coaches deal with this issue in different ways.
What if you got a situation where a kid misses practice frequently?
What if that kid tells you his dad wouldn't let him come that day or made him work around the house. Now this kid is one of your better players, you don't want to punish him because of his parents, but you don't want to punish the no.2 guy in his spot that's worked his but off all week either.
Now this isn't a 1 time thing, he misses at least 1 to 2 times a week.
How's the best way to handle that situation?

( believe it or not, I've had a kid tell me he was gonna be late for practice because he had to feed his goats! hahahah-true story):omg:
If it"s frequently id talk to the parent...see whats going on..if he Is the #1 go to guy mom and dad aint gonna let him miss practice..if they feel he doesent need to practice every day because he"s the #1 guy he"d be # 3 guy on my team.....no work/no reward we arent living in the day and age where Johnny has to chop 10 cord of wood or milk ten cows everyday...and theres a 99.9% percent chance that he just doesent feel the need to practice..
I missed one practice, and I had a job worked every evening after pratice and on sat, and sundays. but I had teammates who would miss for some of the strangest reasons.
You as a coach need a policy for all your kids, if the team views a coach as treating one player different then they will slowly lose respect for that Coach and the way they do things. Some Coach's may change the entire team policy so that one player wont be hammered so much if they have a parent who is the type that is constantly causing a kid to miss, but it can allow everyone to start missing for the stangest of reasons.
If the kid misses 1 or 2 times a week over dumb reason's to miss practice he should be talked to alone and find out what is happening if he is one of the go to guys on the team. Talk the parents(maybe that could help). But i would just kick him off the team b/c if he is not going to be there during the practices who is going to say he might miss a game. But many kids might now have a ride to get to practice or get home from practice. But i say if the coach really wants him there he would stay on to him alot!
No player should missed a practice without an excelent excuse!
The father was very uncooperative to talk and the kid could be a very good linebacker at a Union or a Cambellsville. He will only be a junior this season, but this was a big problem last year and I think this kid will never reach his full potential until he comes to practice every day.An example, we played a wing-t team last season, the day we work on guard reads( guard pulls long, fill c gap it's bucksweep, guard pulls away(behind center) fill backside a it's trap and ect.) he doesn't show up either of the days and we have to go with his back up on friday which hurt us simply because he was nowhere near the caliber of backer. We fell behind by 15 points got the kid who missed practice in the game in the second half, before we knew it we were down by 30 because he didn't have a clue to his assignments.
I think you have to look at the reason the kid is missing practice. There are so many kids who would love a chance to play the game. However -- getting to and from pratice is a big problem. I think most HS teams practice right after school-- these kids are only looking at transportation one way. Some of the middle school and elementary teams practice at 5:00 or 6:00. These kids can't hang around for 2 or 3 hours after school- by the time they ride the bus home its time to come back to practice. Mom and Dad may not get home from work until 5 or 6. If you live in a county with only one school you might be 45 minutes away from the practice field. The coach needs to meet with the player and his/her parents-- maybe they can work something out. There may be another player who could help in the situation-- car pool etc... On the other hand-- maybe the player is not being completely honest with the coach about his situation. Either way-- they need to have a face to face conversation with the parent and child at least one time.
JMO
anyone who misses a practice for prestonsburg is in major trouble
Blackcat75 Wrote:anyone who misses a practice for prestonsburg is in major trouble

Would your coaches look into the reason the player missed practice? See if perhaps there was an underlying problem like transportation issues or just punish him and go on.
it just depends on the reason, an if u miss for any reason without calling coach, it doesn't matter what happened
IMO better players WILL get away with more...
i-dono Wrote:IMO better players WILL get away with more...

as always
missing 2 practices a week is unacceptable no matter the caliber of the player. Your being selfish with this win at all costs attitude. you are being unfair to the other kids and I would tell him he's gotta go because he obviously doesnt have time to devote to football. And as for being a good linebacker at union or somewhere, he cant miss practice and if he's already in that habit, he wont excel at all.
2-3 practices a season is too much. let alone 2 a week...but i bet he can make to pregame on thursdays when the practice is pretty much just a run through.
vince Wrote:Alot of coaches deal with this issue in different ways.
What if that kid tells you his dad wouldn't let him come that day or made him work around the house. Now this kid is one of your better players, you don't want to punish him because of his parents, but you don't want to punish the no.2 guy in his spot that's worked his but off all week either.

( believe it or not, I've had a kid tell me he was gonna be late for practice because he had to feed his goats! hahahah-true story):omg:

IMO he cant be better than the #2 man if he misses often. He may have raw talent but unless he practices he cant hone that raw talent into football ability.
it dont matter what any team's policy is.. the best playes can miss more than the rest.
in middle school i missed 3 day to go see me dad and i knew the result i had to set out tht first quater aginst best lane we were down 14 nothing in the first quater we then
wnet on a run and beat them 42-21 i think
the bigest mistake u can do is miss practic becaus no matter how much a coach want to win if u miss practic you will have to ay
I think that when kids miss practice they should be punished in whatever way the coach prefers but i dont think its rite to let people miss practice and get by wit it.BUT some coaches get carried away and go to far!
vince Wrote:Alot of coaches deal with this issue in different ways.

Hey there vince id sure like to know who you are because i have a pretty good idea who your talking about to of the best athletes and most important good kids and id like to tell you if you have sumthing to say dont be afriad to say who the kids are and most importantly say the school
why yeah...the best players arent shouldnt be alowed to miss as much... they sould be treated stricter so they can get better...i would let the worser players miss more because u dont need them
that is true hp2006 i strongley support your anwser:rock:
Guys, The bottom lin is you gotta come to practice! Some kids have to work to have any money at all. I know who Vince is talking about and both of those kids had to work, they had no choice. It wasn't their fault.
Guys, The bottom line is you gotta come to practice! Some kids have to work to have any money at all. I know who Vince is talking about and both of those kids had to work, they had no choice. It wasn't their fault. One of those kids family owns a trucking company, He has no choice, It's his job and for alot of these kids, no work-no football. The little coment about the other is the fact, this kid owned livestock, it was his way to have spending money, some days he might be late because he had to feed but not very often. The situation should decide the outcome of missing practice.
But, they both always made up, wasn't punishment, just make up and they didn't have a problem with it at all.
Vince,
That proves 100% you were a guy who was around us at practice, mabey for a short period or mabey all year. You had to have been around us to know about that.
Mabey you were a coach and mabey you weren't, but the same you knew us personally. IF you have anything you want to talk about, be a man, you know my number I'm pretty sure about that, I will be more than glad to tell you how I really feel about your negative coments about these kids. Better yet, I'll be more than glad to discuss it with you to your face, just name the place coach or is it wanna be coach.
the boz i agree with you one hundred percent he has no right to talk about these kids and the boz i thikn im pretty sure i kno who it is if u dontt kno ill tell who u i think in a private message if you want to know
The principle i would like to know who this vince guy is but he wont tell me who u think it is
Also think u Boz for taking up for these kids
vince i know who ur talkin about...and i'm pretty sure i know who u r but anyways when ur dad's a truck driver u cant go to practice every day of the week for 3 months without missing...if a truck breaks down you hafta go fix it or u dont make money to live off of thats plane and simple...And if you r who i think you are u never showed up half the time either so u have no right to be saying anything about people a missing...o about the kid and the goat deal i never recalled him ever saying anything about being late because he had to feed his goats, i think u makin up $#**....
vince i know who ur talkin about...and i'm pretty sure i know who u r but anyways when ur dad's a truck driver u cant go to practice every day of the week for 3 months without missing...if a truck breaks down you hafta go fix it or u dont make money to live off of thats plane and simple...And if you r who i think you are u never showed up half the time either so u have no right to be saying anything about people a missing...o about the kid and the goat deal i never recalled him ever saying anything about being late because he had to feed his goats, i think ur makin up $#**....
If a player misses practice for any reason that the coach has not aproved then he should not start. if he has an inexusable reason like he didnt feel good then he should defitnely not start. The players that are there everyday, regardless of how good they may be, should start before the ones who miss practice for any reason
good post mchs baseball