Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best football programs in the state that also have boys soccer programs
I know in our area Ashland and Russell have success in both sports! What about others. Do some schools use this as an excuse for not having a good football/soccer program?
Bowling Green is outstanding at each. They're still the only team outside the golden triangle to win a state title in soccer. There are quite a few within the golden triangle that run both well.

I have not often seen the excuse used except as it pertains to kicking games. Schools that don't achieve a positive working relationship between the two programs usually find the kicking game wanting in football.
Lexington Catholic and Covington Catholic have pretty good soccer programs. CovCath has the most boys soccer wins in the state according to the KHSAA
Anyone know of any good football programs that have good Tennis teams?
64black&gold Wrote:Anyone know of any good football programs that have good Tennis teams?

Lets see now. How many kids does it take to make a Tennis team? One maybe TWO! That could destroy a football program!
Cov Cath. They're normally somewhat successful in every sport. They did very well in tennis this past season. They also just graduated Jimmy Roebker two years ago, who was a two-time state champion.
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:Lets see now. How many kids does it take to make a Tennis team? One maybe TWO! That could destroy a football program!

What would be unique would be if you had a tennis coach that was also a football coach.:biggrin:Confusedhh:
St. X has 9 football state championship they also have 10 (the most) in soccer.
Anybody taking notice about what these schools have in common?

Russell, Bowling Green, Ashland, Covington Catholic, Lexington Catholic, St. X and I can name others who haven't been mentioned, yet would fit right in with those already mentioned (yes, I realize that Russell, Bowling Green and Ashland aren't private).
Kentucky has crowned 36 state boys soccer state champions and only 15 of them have been private schools.
tradition Wrote:What would be unique would be if you had a tennis coach that was also a football coach.:biggrin:Confusedhh:

Not to far off of what we had at our school. Our football coach was also our baseball coach for about 10 years. He just stepped down from the head football coaching job to do baseball only three seasons ago.
toussaints Wrote:Lexington Catholic and Covington Catholic have pretty good soccer programs. CovCath has the most boys soccer wins in the state according to the KHSAA

It's only logical that every sport you add to a school thins out a little of the talent you would have in that one sport you follow. Some kids only play one or two sports now days. I know we have kids that play either basketball or baseball only and not football at our school. And I set there and wonder why. Because you know that they could be a very good player in another sport. But for these bigger schools. JMO that they could still compete in all of these sports if the schools treat each sport the same. Good coaching. Schoolboard helping out. Parent and fan participatation. Soccer in some ways can win a couple games a year for your team. If you can get that one kicker to play football. Kickoffs in the end zone. Fieldgoals late in the game. Thats been one of our downfalls the past few years. Our kicking game hasn't been very good. The years we had great kickers we beat some good teams like Lawrence Co years back 3-0. LCA a few years ago. We haven't won those games the past few years. Some of the post above have proved that you can win in all sports if all are treated equal. I know the past few years LCA and Russell have had a very good kicking game because of the soccer style kicker. And both schools are winners in all sports.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Kentucky has crowned 36 state boys soccer state champions and only 15 of them have been private schools.

Nice.

But, the one I was looking at, is that all of the schools mentioned are either Private or Independent (city schools).

Others would inlcude Danville, Elizabethtown, South Oldham and North Oldham (even though they are part of a "county" school district, their communities is anything, but rural), Fayette County schools (see same reasoning for South and North Oldham), Highlands, etc.

Your typical county/rural schools aren't having success in both. Sure, there's an exception to the rule here and ther, but not on a yearly basis like the ones mentioned seem to dominate.

Marshall County, in far western KY, is the only rural school I can think of that poses a very good soccer program and a descent football program on a perinnial basis (Marshall County had 2 or 3 bad years the past few years, but started to rebound last year somewhat). However, I might add that even though it's a rural community, they have an enrollment of 1600-1,700 students, which obviously helps, especially on the boys end.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Nice.

But, the one I was looking at, is that all of the schools mentioned are either Private or Independent (city schools).

Others would inlcude Danville, Elizabethtown, South Oldham and North Oldham (even though they are part of a "county" school district, their communities is anything, but rural), Fayette County schools (see same reasoning for South and North Oldham), Highlands, etc.

Your typical county/rural schools aren't having success in both. Sure, there's an exception to the rule here and ther, but not on a yearly basis like the ones mentioned seem to dominate.

Marshall County, in far western KY, is the only rural school I can think of that poses a very good soccer program and a descent football program on a perinnial basis (Marshall County had 2 or 3 bad years the past few years, but started to rebound last year somewhat). However, I might add that even though it's a rural community, they have an enrollment of 1600-1,700 students, which obviously helps, especially on the boys end.

Most of the rural/county schools either do not have soccer or only have had it the last six or seven years.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Most of the rural/county schools either do not have soccer or only have had it the last six or seven years.

I can name several that have it. You're right, though, some don't. However, the small/rural/county schools could have it 2 or 20 and I don't think it would matter, especially if football is just average.

Finding soccer fans (and, those that would like to see a successful program at their high school(s) ) in rural/county areas is like finding democrats. They're around, just hard to find and they sure as heck won't take control in our lifetime. :blabbermo
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I can name several that have it. You're right, though, some don't. However, the small/rural/county schools could have it 2 or 20 and I don't think it would matter, especially if football is just average.

Finding soccer fans (and, those that would like to see a successful program at their high school(s) ) in rural/county areas is like finding democrats. They're around, just hard to find and they sure as heck won't take control in our lifetime. :blabbermo

Yep and most Republicans in Kentucky consider Soccer a communist sport because it means change and most Republicans are allergic to change unless it falls out of your pocket then they will knock down little children and old ladies to get it.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I can name several that have it. You're right, though, some don't. However, the small/rural/county schools could have it 2 or 20 and I don't think it would matter, especially if football is just average.

Actually according to voter registration the majority of EKY are registered Democrats. Now not to say they always vote that way but they are lol.
Soccer is a communist sport
nky Wrote:Soccer is a communist sport
:Thumbs: I really tried to like soccer but I finally just gave up. I did attend a few rugby games when I lived in Indianapolis and I could easily grow to like it more than American football. But soccer is for girls and wimpy girly men. :biggrin: