• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Teens Die From Heat
More Sports
Two Georgia Teens Die During Football Training Camp

Published August 03, 2011
| NewsCore

Print Email Share Comments

Text Size
COLUMBIA COUNTY, Fla. -- A 16-year-old Georgia boy was found dead at a high school football camp in Florida's Columbia County on Tuesday, WJXT-TV reported.

Hours later, another 16-year-old Georgia high school football player died in an Atlanta hospital, a week after being admitted suffering what doctors believe was heat exhaustion, WSB-TV reported.

Donteria Searcy was found unresponsive in his cabin at about 11:15 a.m. Tuesday, after Fitzgerald (Ga.) High School's football team had finished their morning workout at O'Leno State Park, where they are holding a summer training camp.

Searcy was taken to a nearby hospital, but attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

An autopsy will be carried out to determine the cause of death, but police do not suspect foul play.

In Atlanta, Locust Grove High School football team player Forrest Jones died around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday. He was admitted to a hospital on July 25, after collapsing following an optional team workout.

Jones' uncle told WSB-TV that doctors believed his death was caused by a heat stroke or heat exhaustion.

The two Georgia student's deaths came just a few days after a rising high school football player collapsed and died following practice in Darlington, S.C.

Tyquan Xavier Brantley, 14, was walking off the field with his Lamar High School team Saturday when he collapsed. He was taken to a nearby hospital and was pronounced dead about 7:00 p.m. local time Saturday night.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/08/03...z1TyLgMo6f
Very sad. May God watch over there family, friends, & teamates during this tough time.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Very sad. May God watch over there family, friends, & teamates during this tough time.

Well said Blackcat Fan. Truly hope God watches over these families and friends.
This is a dangerous summer
Sad...
Very sad news. Prayers for the families involved.

As a parent we must MAKE sure our young athlete's take care of themselves when not at practice. They must get plenty to drink before and after practice and eat right!!!! Most Coaches go out of there way to adhere to and many exceed what is required from the mandated heat rules in each state. The coaches have no control over what the kids drink or eat when away from practice time. What they drink today will fuel them tomorrow.
Thoughts and prayers with these families from the Bobcat Nation!!
Maybe football shouldn't start until Sept and all schools have a indoor practice facility for them to practice in through out Aug?
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Maybe football shouldn't start until Sept and all schools have a indoor practice facility for them to practice in through out Aug?

And where are they gonna get this money? That would cost a lot?
^ I think he may have been being a little facetious (I hope so anyhow).

Summers are no hotter than they have ever been, but I think the basics are not being enforced as well with our youth. Hydrating with water is essential. We had to drink a gallon jug of water every night before we went to bed. We also did not have supplements that we were taking that dehydrated the body. I am in no way saying that has had anything to do with what happened in these two cases, but there are basic priniciples that are not being followed.
I was a soldier in GA as both a private and years later as an officer. The heat there is a special threat, especially to a young person who is still learning to deal with it. It is heart breaking to read this and I certainly pray for these families for comfort.

There is no way to know what caused these tragic deaths. All we can do is take the most aggressive stance possible to ensure parents and coaches respect this heat. In our part of the world coaches sometimes forget that outside activities are not as much a part of life for kids today. Many of us grew up without AC and living outside all summer long. Not always the case for our kids today.

Everyone of us can help in some way ensure this does not happen here pushing kids to take care of themselves and checking in on coaches to ensure they are following heat safety guidelines. And even if all this is done - there is no guarantee I suppose.
One of breathitt's players was hospitalize after the blue and white game and they are going to keep him for a second night. I agree with alot of the other post summer is alot hotter than it was say ten years ago. I really think kshaa should look in to stating football three weeks later , maybe have the first game the first week in sept, don't quote me on it but I think it use to be like that because I can remember the honey bowl being our first game and that is always the first week in sept.
Starting the season later would be great but the problem you get into is we arleady have a big overlap with basketball. Likely not something we would get support on.

I would support practices that start at 6 or 7 am. Works for the military to avoid heat. Also, practice under the lights on your game field. Yes, the field will take a beating but that beats heat casualties. Early morning or night practices could help this problem.
The football team here in Montgomery Co practice from 7am till 11am to beat the heat. The time frame also helps with kids who are doing summer baseball or open gyms for basketball.
Football1 Wrote:Starting the season later would be great but the problem you get into is we arleady have a big overlap with basketball. Likely not something we would get support on.

I would support practices that start at 6 or 7 am. Works for the military to avoid heat. Also, practice under the lights on your game field. Yes, the field will take a beating but that beats heat casualties. Early morning or night practices could help this problem.

Trickle affect. Baseball already extends beyond the end of the school year, so no, starting football later would never happen.
Stardust Wrote:Trickle affect. Baseball already extends beyond the end of the school year, so no, starting football later would never happen.

Agree. The answer (as appealing as it seems) is not going to be starting the season later. Other approaches must be taken to deal with heat. Early or late starts, indoor facilities (all schools have a gym); strict following of heat guidelines when outdoor games and practice occur.

The other thing I worry about around here is so few times have a trainer. Even in the 80's at my single A school in VA we had kid who went to a camp to learn how to tape ankles and deal with heat who we called our trainer. We are blessed to have a doc roam the sidelines on game nights but for practices the coaches are their own trainers.
^ I believe it is not a requirement for all KHSAA sanctioned sports to have an athletic trainer onsite for any Football practice or game. I know that Campbell County has an athletic trainer on-site for any workout, whether it is winter conditioning, spring football, all the way to the last game of the season.