Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School's biggest win in history?
At Belfry you cannot discount the two state championship games, but for one individual game, the 1979 state semi playoff win AT Highlands was the biggest win in school history. IMO, this game launched Belfry from being a regional contender to a state contender in one night. With the tradition of the Bluebirds, to go on to their field and win was the greatest win the Pirates have had.
East Ridge's 29-28 victory over Sheldon Clark in 2004. East Ridge made a big second half come back when it looked they were beat.
1982 Boyle over Somerst 28-27 After Somerset went for 2 at the end of the game and Boyle stopped them. Corbin won state that year and i think the only loss they had was to Somerset.
rebel rebel Wrote:1982 Boyle over Somerst 28-27 After Somerset went for 2 at the end of the game and Boyle stopped them. Corbin won state that year and i think the only loss they had was to Somerset.

One of the best games I ever saw from the broadcast booth. Somerset was the best team I saw that season and racked up yards vs. Boyle. Rebels "big played" them to death in that game and came up with the big stop with :23 to go.

I don't know that it was the biggest game in Boyle history but I'd rank it the biggest victory of the 80's for the Rebels. Ed Rall's last District champion and also won the old CKC title that season. Lost to a huge and strong Corbin team in the Regional that was on a roll at the end of the season. :Thumbs:
DALE Wrote:Heaven forbid someone make a typo. The number 7 is next to an 8 on a keyboard isn't it? I only have an engineering degree and hope that you can reassure me that my hypothesis of a possible typo due to my large fingers and the fact that these two numbers are close together in a number sequence seems feasible to you. If I am wrong I will go back to my desk at work tomorrow and pound out some differential equations or triple integrals to see if it can show me where my probability and statistics were inconclusive. Another potential reason for the typo could be that I've been up since 3 AM this morning trying to work some kinks out of a Longwall panel to get a mine that I cover back in full production. Walking under shields raised to a height of 58" all day, checking the connections between the mimmic and micro that are located between the hydraulic jacks on 232 shields as well as torching a few ram jacks that advance the panline, can take it out of an individual. I can't believe some people would get all up-in-arms over a typo.

And I can's see somebody getng all bent out of shape over a simple question.. So chill out, go drink some crannberry juice, and maybe stay off of a thread until your time of the month has passed. :biggrin:
BeReal Wrote:And I can's see somebody getng all bent out of shape over a simple question.. So chill out, go drink some crannberry juice, and maybe stay off of a thread until your time of the month has passed. :biggrin:

:thatsfunn :popcorn:
cougarpride08 Wrote:Since Jenkins, and Whitesburg was mentioned. The old Fleming Neon Pirates best season I think was when they made it to the Regional Championship game and lost to Paintsville. I don't think they made it any farther in there history. I could be mistaken.

Once upon a time, Fleming Neon was the top ranked team in the state if I'm not mistaken, Paintsville beat them that year. Im sure they had some huge vistories back in the day. Ask around with some of the old timers up that way.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
dale Wrote:heaven forbid someone make a typo. The number 7 is next to an 8 on a keyboard isn't it? I only have an engineering degree and hope that you can reassure me that my hypothesis of a possible typo due to my large fingers and the fact that these two numbers are close together in a number sequence seems feasible to you. If i am wrong i will go back to my desk at work tomorrow and pound out some differential equations or triple integrals to see if it can show me where my probability and statistics were inconclusive. Another potential reason for the typo could be that i've been up since 3 am this morning trying to work some kinks out of a longwall panel to get a mine that i cover back in full production. Walking under shields raised to a height of 58" all day, checking the connections between the mimmic and micro that are located between the hydraulic jacks on 232 shields as well as torching a few ram jacks that advance the panline, can take it out of an individual. I can't believe some people would get all up-in-arms over a typo.
lmao
Redneck Wrote:That was in 98, Paintsville was down 27-0 at the half, came back to win, AT Sheldon Clark. That same year, SC got beat in the State Semi-Finals by Jared Lorenzen, Derek Smith and the rest of the Fort Thomas Highlands Blue Birds.

I would consider the 98 game against SC as one of the biggest victories, but I think when you go back to the late 70's and all thru the 80's you will find many more. Beechwood, Bellvue, and others.

I thought that game was at Paintsville not SC. I just know that is one reason Matney won't take his starters out too early anymore. That is also one of the worst losses I can remember. There was another bad loss that came against JC the year before when JC came back by two or three scores in the 4th to win with an onside kick.
Matman Wrote:I thought that game was at Paintsville not SC. I just know that is one reason Matney won't take his starters out too early anymore. That is also one of the worst losses I can remember. There was another bad loss that came against JC the year before when JC came back by two or three scores in the 4th to win with an onside kick.

I checked It was at home. I played in that game and couldn't even remember where it was at. I know SC's biggest win came that season against Belfry in the regional championship.
GRC's biggest wins would have to be in 1991 when they beat St X and Trinity to win the 4A title ( now that would be 6A)
Gold Charger Wrote:GRC's biggest wins would have to be in 1991 when they beat St X and Trinity to win the 4A title ( now that would be 6A)

Wow. Impressive. :1:
BeReal Wrote:Wow. Impressive. :1:

GRC was undeated that season. 15-0.
This is a pretty good story so I thought I'd share. This is a small part of the Somerset football story from the Somerset fall sports program:

Somerset Briar Jumpers, THIS IS OUR "FOOTBALL LEGEND"

The Somerset High School Team that took the field on that Saturday in October 1916, was optimistic, even though they had been greeted by 700 fans of the Louisville High School, with accompanying good nature jeers and shouted predictions of the gruesome fate they were going to encounter. The Louisville Boys High School had established an impressive record and was predicted to win the game by several touchdowns. Much to blue-clad Louisville's surprise, that purple and gold Somerset team showed NO MERCY. When the last play had been played, and that last whistle sounded, the score board displayed the unbelievable score of SOMERSET 51, LOUISVILLE 6. The tale of that days events were fully described in Louisville papers for days to come. The story, told in simple terms, is that a certain young man by the name of "Gooch", a sorrel topped mountaineer by the name of "Roberts", and a fully mature Irishman by the name of "McMillan" created high school football history on the banks of the Ohio. Louisville sportswriters were knocking themselves out trying to describe the drubbing that was perpetrated. One writer, Mr. Johnny Head, who had fully recovered from the shock, was frantically searching for some previous occurrence with which to compare the extraordinary athletic speed and skill used to evade Louisville tacklers. That is when he remembered the story of Uncle Remus, the briar patch, and the elusive ways the Somerset team had of getting around or evading, obstructions. He also remembered the expression "Bawn and bred in de briar patch". Immediately he christened the Somerset team "Briar Jumpers" because they too were quick, swift-footed, masters of evading obstructions - and "Briar Jumpers" at home in their "Briar Patch" it has been ever since.

So, biggest win in school history in my opinion. Without this game, no Briar Jumpers. If anyone wants the complete story PM me. This also came a short time later:

Somerset Alumnus Bo McMillan quarterbacked the "Praying Colonels" in the greatest upset in college football history. In 1921, Centre College defeated Harvard 6-0 before 60,000 people at Harvard Stadium. Mighty Harvard had not lost a game in 5 seasons. McMillan scored a second half touchdown to make him the toast of "All America."
RoShamBo Wrote:This is a pretty good story so I thought I'd share. This is a small part of the Somerset football story from the Somerset fall sports program:

Somerset Briar Jumpers, THIS IS OUR "FOOTBALL LEGEND"

The Somerset High School Team that took the field on that Saturday in October 1916, was optimistic, even though they had been greeted by 700 fans of the Louisville High School, with accompanying good nature jeers and shouted predictions of the gruesome fate they were going to encounter. The Louisville Boys High School had established an impressive record and was predicted to win the game by several touchdowns. Much to blue-clad Louisville's surprise, that purple and gold Somerset team showed NO MERCY. When the last play had been played, and that last whistle sounded, the score board displayed the unbelievable score of SOMERSET 51, LOUISVILLE 6. The tale of that days events were fully described in Louisville papers for days to come. The story, told in simple terms, is that a certain young man by the name of "Gooch", a sorrel topped mountaineer by the name of "Roberts", and a fully mature Irishman by the name of "McMillan" created high school football history on the banks of the Ohio. Louisville sportswriters were knocking themselves out trying to describe the drubbing that was perpetrated. One writer, Mr. Johnny Head, who had fully recovered from the shock, was frantically searching for some previous occurrence with which to compare the extraordinary athletic speed and skill used to evade Louisville tacklers. That is when he remembered the story of Uncle Remus, the briar patch, and the elusive ways the Somerset team had of getting around or evading, obstructions. He also remembered the expression "Bawn and bred in de briar patch". Immediately he christened the Somerset team "Briar Jumpers" because they too were quick, swift-footed, masters of evading obstructions - and "Briar Jumpers" at home in their "Briar Patch" it has been ever since.

So, biggest win in school history in my opinion. Without this game, no Briar Jumpers. If anyone wants the complete story PM me. This also came a short time later:

Somerset Alumnus Bo McMillan quarterbacked the "Praying Colonels" in the greatest upset in college football history. In 1921, Centre College defeated Harvard 6-0 before 60,000 people at Harvard Stadium. Mighty Harvard had not lost a game in 5 seasons. McMillan scored a second half touchdown to make him the toast of "All America."

Cool story, thanks.
For Johnson Central, I'd have to say the 2006 win over Rockcastle County in the regional finals at JC to put the Eagles into the state semis against Covington Catholic for the first time.

Sentimental vote from me for the 2000 district championship game win at Boyd County with the last second TD from Scott Salyer to complete the undefeated season and win the first district title in school history.
Matman Wrote:I checked It was at home. I played in that game and couldn't even remember where it was at. I know SC's biggest win came that season against Belfry in the regional championship.

I was at that game, Matney's call to go for 2, win or go home. Spradlin punched it in, it was an awesome game. Both of my older sisters dated teammates of yours, lol.
Redneck Wrote:I was at that game, Matney's call to go for 2, win or go home. Spradlin CRAWLED it in, it was an awesome game. Both of my older sisters dated teammates of yours, lol.

Fixed it for you :wink:

Refs definitely blew that call, but SC definitely earned the win. Fantastic game plan by Matney.
bucslover68 Wrote:At Belfry you cannot discount the two state championship games, but for one individual game, the 1979 state semi playoff win AT Highlands was the biggest win in school history. IMO, this game launched Belfry from being a regional contender to a state contender in one night. With the tradition of the Bluebirds, to go on to their field and win was the greatest win the Pirates have had.

The old "tear away jersey" game!!! If I not mistaken this game changed the rule in Kentucky High School Football regarding those type of jerseys. Coach Roddy's mindgames before kickoff of that game still initiate hour long conversations on Pond Creek.
Gold Charger Wrote:GRC was undeated that season. 15-0.

that team finished the season ranked 13th in the USA Today poll
That 91 GRC Team was awesome. I was at the Trinity and ST. X games, as well as the Boone Co. game. All three were very good teams, but that GRC backfield was as good as any that has ever played in this State!
The biggest school win for Allen Central has to be in 2009 when they beat Paintsville for the first time ever 34-14 and that led to the best record ever for this school at 10-2 and they went into the playoffs and won the first round against Pineville 60-34 that would have to be the two biggest win's for Allen Central
Another one against one of Paintsville's worst teams in history. :HitWall:
For Warren Central, I'll go with a 21-15 victory over St. X on November 24th, 1989 in the 4A state semifinals. The win sent Warren Central to their first state championship appearance, and gave them their only victory (and indeed the only victory for any team in this area) over St. X. A bigger win might've occurred the next week (or next year) had the Dragons not twice run into Trinity in the state championship game, who were in the midst of their record 50 game winning streak.
Hatz Wrote:Tough question to answer.

I would say that if your team has won a state title, it would have to be the first one. So I will go with Boyle defeating Glasgow in the '99 AA title game and finishing 15-0. (starting the 47 game win streak)

But in reflection, Boyle beating Lex Cath 2 weeks before was really the State Title game. (for 2 years the only losses Lex Cath had were to Boyle)

Still further back you would have to say the 12-0 win over Danville in the AA playoffs of '96. The Rebels beat the Ads for the first time since '79 and then edged Madison Southern by one point before bowing to Breathitt 12-7 in the state semi-finals.

There were big wins over #1 teams in the 70's that stand out:

1976 win over Harrodsburg 21-14 when Pioneers were #1 in Class A.

1977 win over Danville 14-7 when the Ads were #1 in Class AAA going into the last week of the regular season when Boyle upset them.

Both wins and others vs. Henry Clay, Somerset, Bardstown among those years were highlights.

Tough call. :Thumbs:

The 96 win over Danville was one to remember for alot of Boyle fans. I was gone for a few year in the NAVY and I remeber a buddy of mine calling and telling me and I couldn't think of the last time we beat them. I know Boyle has been up over Danville the last few years as Danville was for so many in the 80s and 90s but its always a good game and look forward to it every year. I know back in the day you could forget each teams records on that night and everyone would play as if it was a "One Game Season". GO REBEL'S!!!
I don't know if it's the biggest but it's up there, in 1988 Estill went on the Road and upset Breathitt in the Honey Bowl 14-8. Couple other big wins in 2003 we beat #3 Ranked Russell 35-14 and in 2008 we went on the road and knocked off Harlan County 29-20
1943, Highlands over Ashland.
Redneck Wrote:Another one against one of Paintsville's worst teams in history. :HitWall:

Probably Magoffin counties biggest win too. Gonna go ahead and put that on here for them lol. Talk about beating us while we are down.
Lc over Breathitt is by far biggest upset in State History