Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason 14th Region Predictions.
I know it is a couple of months away from Oct. but lets get some 14th basketball talk going.

I've picked 2 of the last 3 regional champs.

2009--My pick--Knott (wrong)
2010 -Knott
2011-Perry

My picks for this upcoming season.

POY-Matt Day
COY-Denny Fugate

53rd District-Letcher Central (Will finally win a district since Justice left.)
54th- (Will have the top 3 teams in this region, only one can win. I'm taking the Hazard Bulldogs.)
55th-Breathitt Co (They have a lot of talent returning this year, and with Denny there expect better things than in the past.
56th-Powell Co ( This district is always a toss up but with Roberts gone at EC, and Pittman gone at Lee. I like the Pirates to take it.)

The 8 teams to make it to region.

Knott C
Letcher
Wolfe
Breathitt
Hazard
Perry
Estill
Powell.

My 14th regional Champions-- Perry Central
*Just some thoughts*

Buckhorn returns their entire starting 5. Led by 24ppg and 12rpg Matt Day.

LCC returns 2/3 of their leading scorers (Johnson and Stewart)

Hazard loses 2/3 of their leading scorers but returns their leader BJ Combs and will add Evan Whitaker to the lineup.

Perry Central will be lead again by the 8th grader Braxton but will lose their big brick wall in the paint in Dillion but will also return the younger brother Dalton.

Knott will lose 3 of 5 starters but will return their overall best player, who missed most of the season last year with a Knee injury and argueable the best player in region Zach Davis.

Breathitt will return their entire team from last season and will add on one of the best coaches to ever coach in this region and in EKY, Denny Fugate. (My Darkhorse team)

Wolfe Co will return their top three scorers from last season, and good thing for the WC fans one of those players are Sawyer Denniston 21ppg.
I believe the 56th will come down to Estill and Powell. Powell loses Reed, Creech and some others. Estill losses Berryman and Roberts but both Teams return alot of very good players. District is at Powell County this year and when it comes tournament time there always a tough out over in Stanton in any sport. But I gotta go with my Engineers to win the 56th but you can't count out the Bobcats of Lee County

I do agree that Perry Central will win Region
speaking of Region where is it at this year?
I wrongly picked Knott to win it last year.
Usually there's 2-3 teams that can win region. This year it's really wide open. Perry, Hazard, Buckhorn, Knott, Letcher, and Breathitt can win it.
I agree that Breathitt could be a dark horse. They improved tremendously last year and return all their starters. This will be the first year in a long time that they'll actually play defense too with Denny coaching them.
Davis is the best player in the region but does he have a good enough supporting cast?
I know this is totally a homer pick, but I'm going with Perry. They return a good portion of their team that won region last year and have one of the best coaches in the state.
I have Zach Davis winning Player of the Year
Denny Fugate winning Coach of the Year

Knott/53rd
Buckhorn/54th
Breathitt/55th
Powell/56th

Before the transfer of Justice from East Ridge to Knott, I would of picked Perry. But Justice was one of the best 8th graders in the state last year and should be one of the best freshman in the state this year. He can flat score the basketball. So my pick for the 14th Region Champs is Knott Central.

Breathitt is in fact the dark horse, they have the size and talent that if their shots are falling they can beat anyone.

Buckhorn returns their entire team, and a senior dominated team always does well. I do believe they fall tho to Knott Central in the Regional Finals.
can't count out Letcher Central. Can't really count out anyone

Region will be at Knott Central
With the addition of Justice from ER, and Davis back full strength, the addition of the boys from JBS and with Evan Hall having a year of experience the Patriots should be the favorite in the 14th.

Buckhorn will be good, but still don't think they will get by PCC, will all depend on the 54th draw as usual.

Also with the addition of Cordia Lions new players TBA, it's untelling how they will match up with the others in the region.

Denny Fugate will have the 55th all to himself! Definitely the dark horse...

Should be fun to watch it all play out, but Knott Central should be the favorite, with Letcher,Perry,Buckhorn, and Breathitt a close second, possibly Cordia depending?????
mountain hoops guru Wrote:With the addition of Justice from ER, and Davis back full strength, the addition of the boys from JBS and with Evan Hall having a year of experience the Patriots should be the favorite in the 14th.

Buckhorn will be good, but still don't think they will get by PCC, will all depend on the 54th draw as usual.

Also with the addition of Cordia Lions new players TBA, it's untelling how they will match up with the others in the region.

Denny Fugate will have the 55th all to himself! Definitely the dark horse...

Should be fun to watch it all play out, but Knott Central should be the favorite, with Letcher,Perry,Buckhorn, and Breathitt a close second, possibly Cordia depending?????

I like a lot of what you have said, but I dont think KCC is the favorite.JMO. but of every team you have mentioned you aint going to say one word bout Hazard? They return Combs, Blanton, Olinger, and ton of young talent.They add Evan Whitaker which I have not seen play seen grade school but I know he has grown a couple inches since than and I hear he is going to help the Dawgs a lot down low this season.I'm still sticking with PC to repeat but I think Hazard will have the most talent next season.
From what I seen this summer and heard from this summer!!!!

POY: Zach Davis (Knott Central)
COY: Denny Fugate (Breathitt County)

53rd - Knott Central (winner), Letcher Central (runner-up)

54th - Perry Central (winner), Buckhorn (runner-up) ---- if they don't draw each other

55th - Breathitt County (winner), Wolfe County (runner-up)

56th - Powell County (winner), Lee County (runner-up)

14th Regional Champs - Buckhorn Wildcats

1) Perry Central
2) Knott Central
3) Buchkorn
4) Hazard
5) Breahitt County
MVP2 Wrote:I like a lot of what you have said, but I dont think KCC is the favorite.JMO. but of every team you have mentioned you aint going to say one word bout Hazard? They return Combs, Blanton, Olinger, and ton of young talent.They add Evan Whitaker which I have not seen play seen grade school but I know he has grown a couple inches since than and I hear he is going to help the Dawgs a lot down low this season.I'm still sticking with PC to repeat but I think Hazard will have the most talent next season.

Just don't think Coach Holland can get them all on the same page. Their were way to many problems this year and they will continue next year as well. To many kids over their to keep happy, especially the principals son. Coach Holland will run into the same problem he had at PCC and I'm sure will be shown the door if he don't leave first. Happy will be Coaching their within the next year or so. They may have some talent, maybe the most in the region, but don't think they can play well enough together to beat some of the other teams come tournament time.
1. Knott County
2. Perry Central
3. Letcher Central
4. Buckhorn
5. Hazard
Expect another interesting season in the 14th.
I'm hearing Hatcher may take the commodores and run a little bit.
POY: Matt Day
COY: Rodrick Rhodes - It's hit or miss with this guy. If he makes it to region I'd say he is a lock for COY. If he busts it is Denny's to have. No way that Denny has a bad season up in Jackson.

53rd - Knott Central, Cordia - I'm going out on a limb with the Lions. If they don't take it I would give the nod to Letcher.
54th - Perry Central, Buckhorn - All according to the draw. Perry has to play Hazard in the first round again eventually.
55th - Breathitt County, Wolfe County - Breathitt is a lock to win this one IMO.
56th - Estill County, Lee County - This district is just about as evenly matched as the 54th. If Powell creeped in I wouldn't be surprised.
Perry will be hard to beat, Knott will be solid, and Breathitt has a lot of talent. Buckhorn will have another solid year behind Day.
Gosh I really don't know where to start..

Something tells me Jordan Olinger from Hazard will be 3 times the player he was last year..
With that said I'm taking Hazard Bulldogs for the region champion.

Perry Co. a close 2nd.
POY-Matt Day---20+ppg and 10+. that is a lock.

COY-John Noble.

53rd--Knott Central over Letcher Central.
54th-Buckhorn over Perry
55th-Breathitt over Wolfe
56th-Estill over Powell.

Buckhorn vs Wolfe
Knott Co over Powell

Breathitt over Letcher
Perry Central over Estill

Knott over Buckhorn 58-53
Breathitt over Perry --41-39

Knott Co over Breathitt-66-58
ekff Wrote:From what I seen this summer and heard from this summer!!!!

POY: Zach Davis (Knott Central)
COY: Denny Fugate (Breathitt County)

53rd - Knott Central (winner), Letcher Central (runner-up)

54th - Perry Central (winner), Buckhorn (runner-up) ---- if they don't draw each other

55th - Breathitt County (winner), Wolfe County (runner-up)

56th - Powell County (winner), Lee County (runner-up)

14th Regional Champs - Buckhorn Wildcats

1) Perry Central
2) Knott Central
3) Buchkorn
4) Hazard
5) Breahitt County

What is this????? The biggest Hazard fan in the world and you don't think they'll make the region. I've never heard you say anything bad about Hazard.

Player of the Year: Zach Davis
Coach of the Year: Al Holland
Region Champs: Hazard
Sometimes in High School Basketball the best team doesn't always win the region... So many things can happen in High School Basketball, but I think the best team as won in the 14th region since 2004..

2004- Perry Central -- (Perry and Hazard both great teams)
2005- Perry Central -- (Perry and Hazard both good teams)
2006- Hazard -- (Leslie was good but Hazard had more talent)
2007- JBS -- (Best all around team)
2008- Hazard -- (Best team hands down)
2009- Hazard -- (Best team hands down)
2010- Knott Central -- (Knott had a lot of talent)
2011- Perry Central -- (Best team hands down, just too big)
ekff Wrote:Sometimes in High School Basketball the best team doesn't always win the region... So many things can happen in High School Basketball, but I think the best team as won in the 14th region since 2004..

Perry and Hazard had some BATTLES those two years.
ekff Wrote:Sometimes in High School Basketball the best team doesn't always win the region... So many things can happen in High School Basketball, but I think the best team as won in the 14th region since 2004..

Have to disagree on 09. Perry beat Hazard to win district and when they met in the regional finals it went into overtime because of a controversial goal tending call(absolute bs). Hazard had the better team and more talent, but not hands down, it was VERY close.
Aslan Wrote:Have to disagree on 09. Perry beat Hazard to win district and when they met in the regional finals it went into overtime because of a controversial goal tending call(absolute bs). Hazard had the better team and more talent, but not hands down, it was VERY close.

Perry didn't have close to the talent Hazard had... Hatcher just showed how good of a coach he was.... Hazard had way better basketball players..

Hatcher was the reason for the close games.
ekff Wrote:Perry didn't have close to the talent Hazard had... Hatcher just showed how good of a coach he was.... Hazard had way better basketball players..

Hatcher was the reason for the close games.

"Best team hands down" and "Most talented team" aren't the same thing.
Perry's defense was magnificent that year.
Chris Noble was absolutely shutting down some of the best players in the region.
zaga_fan Wrote:"Best team hands down" and "Most talented team" aren't the same thing.
Perry's defense was magnificent that year.
Chris Noble was absolutely shutting down some of the best players in the region.

I was coaching... Noble had a hard time guarding Josh Whitaker. Hazard was a much better basketball team... If they team didn't have Hatcher, they wouldn't have been top 5 in the region.
ekff Wrote:I was coaching... Noble had a hard time guarding Josh Whitaker. Hazard was a much better basketball team... If they team didn't have Hatcher, they wouldn't have been top 5 in the region.

Coaching is a huge part of high school bball though. Talent without a good coach, usually don't equal success. Hatcher closed the gap between Hazard and PCC, but not quite enough.
But if anyone wants to pick the 14th region champion, you'd have great shot every year by just picking one of the schools in Perry County... (Hazard,Perry, and this year Buckhorn) If you just pick Hazard or Perry I'd say you would have about a 75% chance every year...
ekff Wrote:I was coaching... Noble had a hard time guarding Josh Whitaker. Hazard was a much better basketball team... If they team didn't have Hatcher, they wouldn't have been top 5 in the region.

In the Regional Final Noble held Whitaker to 1-8 from the field with 11 pts.
In the District Final he held him to 5-15 from the field with 11 pts.

In the earlier 2 games in the season Josh averaged 10 ppg against Perry.
20 pts in one game and he was held scoreless in a forfeit earlier in the season Wink

I think Josh is one of the greatest players to come through here in the last 10 years.
However, I'm not going to say that Chris struggled guarding him because IMO he didn't.
zaga_fan Wrote:Noble held Josh Whitaker to 11 pts in the District and Region that year.

Josh didn't have to score a lot on that team... Had Justin Jones, Robert Warren, Corey Martin, Josh Kidd, Michael Campbell.... And how many times did Whitaker get in the paint and create for his teammates, Not all about how many points, Josh still got to were he wanted too..
Josh Whitaker against Perry Central...

Whitaker was 7-1 against Perry --That's what its all about. 2 regional championship games against Perry...
ekff Wrote:Josh didn't have to score a lot on that team... Had Justin Jones, Robert Warren, Corey Martin, Josh Kidd, Michael Campbell.... And how many times did Whitaker get in the paint and create for his teammates, Not all about how many points, Josh still got to were he wanted too..

Understood.
I'm just saying IMO Chris guarded Josh just fine and I don't remember a whole lot of Josh in the paint.
I remember a whole lot of him being pinned against the backcourt line with Chris breathing down his neck.
We can't prove anything without the tape.
We both saw the game from different Points-of-View Wink