Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland Blazer 2 Boyd County 0 16th Region Championship
Great job Girls :Thumbs:

Kittens blank Boyd for third straight regional crown
Rocky Stanley
The Independent The Daily Independent Sat Jun 04, 2011, 01:49 AM EDT

CANNONSBURG — Katelyn Miller’s pitching and Ashland’s defense proved to be an unbeatable combination Friday night.

Miller made her final 16th Region Tournament championship game one to remember by scattering three singles, while the Kittens backed her with air-tight fielding in a 2-0 victory over Boyd County.

Ashland did not allow a Boyd County runner past first base in capping off a region three-peat.

“What a way to go out,” said Ashland’s senior pitcher, named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player. “It’s a great win. I think I mostly have my defense to thank. I couldn’t ask for anything better from them.”

Miller finished with only two strikeouts, but the Kittens played flawlessly in the field including a couple of excellent charging grabs by center-fielder Kat Jackson.

“She has an instinct for the ball,” Ashland coach Dave Miller said. “It’s unbelievable what that kid can do from center field.”

First baseman McKenzie Vanover also provided a defensive gem by spearing a slap bunt off Kaitlin Brown’s bat.

“Did our defense step up or what?” Dave Miller shouted. “Somebody told me that offense wins games, but defense wins championships. I’m really thrilled about three in a row.”

In the previous five meetings between the teams, Ashland dominated by a combined score of 50-4. But the Kittens’ coach anticipated a much tighter game this time around from a talented Boyd County squad with 22 wins.

“Even though the first three times this season were a little lopsided, I knew coming in that it could be a one-run, or two-run game,” he said. “Kate hit her spots and the defense did the rest.”

As a result, Ashland (29-8) will advance to the State Tournament for the third consecutive year. The Kittens’ next opponent will be Calloway County on Thursday night in Owensboro.

“I get excited every year,” junior Kelsee Hammonds said Ashland’s regional streak. “That hasn’t changed a bit. I think we really deserve this. Everybody has worked really hard. It’s been a tough season with all the rain.”

Hammonds, batting over .500 entering the regional tournament, provided solid defense at shortstop and helped produce both Ashland runs.

Boyd County eighth-grader Lora Thompson pitched a four-hitter to nearly match Miller, but Ashland collected three of its hits consecutively in the third inning.

After Katelyn Miller drew a one-out walk and stole second, Hammonds grounded a single into right field to bring across the first run. Hammonds took second on a wild pitch and scored on freshman McKenzie Vanover’s double.

Emily Preece followed with a single, her fifth hit of the tournament, to put runners on the corners. But Thompson escaped further trouble with a pop out and flyout. She didn’t allow another hit the rest of the way.

“I couldn’t be prouder of Lora,” Boyd County coach Geoff Stewart said. “She got put into the fire of a regional tournament. That’s a tough thing to ask anybody to do, especially an eighth-grader. She did a wonderful job.”

Boyd County couldn’t get anything going against Miller, however, in being shut out for only the second time this season.

“We worked a lot before the game on my spins and being able to control them,” said Miller, who issued only one walk.

Jackson’s sparkling catches in the fourth and seventh innings helped pave the way for the Kittens’ latest regional title.

“I’ve been on the team all three years we won it, and it never gets old,” Jackson said. “Boyd County is a very good team. We really turned up our defense tonight.”

Stewart tipped his cap to Ashland’s standout pitcher.

“Our hitting has been hot the last 10 or 11 games,” Stewart said. “Katelyn does a great job. She was hitting her spots and mixing her pitches. Give Ashland’s defense credit. They made three really nice plays.”

BOYD COUNTY 000 000 0 — 0 3 1

ASHLAND 002 000 x — 2 4 0

Thompson and Crum; Miller and Preece. W—Miller. L—Thompson. 2B—Vanover (A).