Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville University 2010 Freshman class
There were nine freshmen sign with Pikeville last year and the only one I see on the roster is Whitaker; what happened to the rest of the players, are they still playing or what?

Eric Stidham, Buckhorn
Logan Hill, Burgin
Chris Noble, Perry Central
Cody Hunter, Rowan County
Josh Whitaker, Hazard
Tyler Newsome, Shelby Valley
Dieb Gross, Pike Central
Derek Hess, Grundy HS, VA
Nick Noble, Breathitt County

So far, five from the 2011 class sign with Pikeville University that I'm aware of...

Zach Ramey - Shelby Valley
Carlisle Creech - Powell Co.
Hobo McCoy - Pike Co. Central
Nathan Martin - Betsy Layne
Dillon Cornett - Perry County Central
Some of those kids were on the JV team. I'm not sure if they would be listed with the varsity roster. I know of one or two that were sidelined with injury, but as far as the rest of them I have no idea.
None of those kids will ever see the Varsity floor.
^
I dont know about that. I think the Cornett boy could see some minutes if has the right conditioning . As for as Hobo the kid is legit IMO, he can flat out play .
2010 Pikeville College Varsity Roster:

Sr. - Justin Hicks (Hazard)
Sr. - Vance Cooksey (Chicago, Ill)
Sr. - Quincy Hankins-Cole (Roosevelt, NY)
Sr. - Andre Thornton (Memphis TN)
Sr. - Chris Donald (Boston, Mass)
Sr. - Ryan Whitaker (Hazard)
Jr. - Kane Belcher (Falmouth, KY)
Jr. - Derrick Lee (Seymmour, TN)
Jr. - Kyan Hines (Green Brook, NY)
Jr. - Quintel Maxwell (Pensacola, FL)
Jr. - Cordaro Ellis (Lynchburg, VA)
Jr. - Chris Puckett (Jenkins)
So. - Trevor Setty (Maysville, KY)
Fr. - Josh Whitaker (Hazard)
Fr. - Tyler Newsome (Shelby Vally) - Don't think he dressed the whole season...

All the other 2010 freshmen class played on JV....
ekff Wrote:2010 Pikeville College Varsity Roster:

Sr. - Justin Hicks (Hazard)
Sr. - Vance Cooksey (Chicago, Ill)
Sr. - Quincy Hankins-Cole (Roosevelt, NY)
Sr. - Andre Thornton (Memphis TN)
Sr. - Chris Donald (Boston, Mass)
Sr. - Ryan Whitaker (Hazard)
Jr. - Kane Belcher (Falmouth, KY)
Jr. - Derrick Lee (Seymmour, TN)
Jr. - Kyan Hines (Green Brook, NY)
Jr. - Quintel Maxwell (Pensacola, FL)
Jr. - Cordaro Ellis (Lynchburg, VA)
Jr. - Chris Puckett (Jenkins)
So. - Trevor Setty (Maysville, KY)
Fr. - Josh Whitaker (Hazard)
Fr. - Tyler Newsome (Shelby Vally) - Don't think he dressed the whole season...

All the other 2010 freshmen class played on JV....

Oh ok, I was going off the website, Newsome was not listed on the roster.
^Newsome wasn't listed as on the roster cause he quit.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
^ Yes, he did quit, but I think he was dressing...
I can answer that question, as regards to a couple of the players, one in particular was not offered a scholarship just contingent on his abilities, but whether he had enough funding through the federal government to be on a free ride to UPIKE. They went through all the hoopla, and signing and all before they found out that the Fafsa Report did not list Pikeville as a choice because it was a private college. He did not receive enough money for a full ride. Therefore he could play, but at a cost of I believe, don't hold me to it, $9,000. Next year, he could change his Fafsa and get more money. They should have checked this stuff before humiliating kids. I don't know how many players are on actual scholarship, or are there because the government helped foot most of the bill? This is the way it went, best i could recall.
That was 9,000 in addition to the money he was already receiving from the government. It would be extra.
So what exactly happened with Tyler Newsome. I noticed about midway through the year that he was not dressing out or anything.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:So what exactly happened with Tyler Newsome. I noticed about midway through the year that he was not dressing out or anything.

I think he quit.
MisterPerfect Wrote:I think he quit.

I wonder if it was just simply got burnt out or what.
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I wonder if it was just simply got burnt out or what.

That part, I don't know. But if I was guessing. And let me remind everyone, I am not trying to be mean. It's my opinion. He went to UPIKE thinking he was gonna get a lot of playing time and when he didn't. He got out.
MisterPerfect Wrote:That part, I don't know. But if I was guessing. And let me remind everyone, I am not trying to be mean. It's my opinion. He went to UPIKE thinking he was gonna get a lot of playing time and when he didn't. He got out.

Tyler quit to focus on school, he can't be a biology major and play basketball. From what I hear he has plans of attending medical school.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Tyler quit to focus on school, he can't be a biology major and play basketball. From what I hear he has plans of attending medical school.

He can't be a biology major and play basketball????? Give me a break. You can be any kind of major and play basketball. He quit because he didn't play! Who you trying to kid buddy?:please:
[quote=superfreak]He can't be a biology major and play basketball????? Give me a break. You can be any kind of major and play basketball. He quit because he didn't play! Who you trying to kid buddy?:please:[/QUOTE

Tyler played very well against some of the best high school talent in the nation. Although he wouldn't see any playing time in the beginning at Pikeville, if he would have hung in there I could see him being a 6th or 7th man later in his career. I don't believe you understand exactly. I don't think you know what it takes to suceed in Medical School. Not all kids can play sports and handle the work load that comes with school. Not to mention getting into Medical School he would have to have extremely good grades not just good enough to pass.
Saints52 Wrote:[quote=superfreak]He can't be a biology major and play basketball????? Give me a break. You can be any kind of major and play basketball. He quit because he didn't play! Who you trying to kid buddy?:please:[/QUOTE

Tyler played very well against some of the best high school talent in the nation. Although he wouldn't see any playing time in the beginning at Pikeville, if he would have hung in there I could see him being a 6th or 7th man later in his career. I don't believe you understand exactly. I don't think you know what it takes to suceed in Medical School. Not all kids can play sports and handle the work load that comes with school. Not to mention getting into Medical School he would have to have extremely good grades not just good enough to pass.

Well said. There is a reason most ball players have a light major. Not all of us are blessed like Brandon Knight.
[SIZE="4"]
I know this isn't the thread to talk about it..
But I wanted to comment on Josh Whitaker..
I know a lot of people from the 14th region that get on here thinks he was the real deal, well actually ever since highschool thought he was the real deal..
I never seen what they seen to be honest.. I thought he was a good player but not a GREAT player..
After playing with him in the Dustbowl and watching his games, I have to say I think he has grown a bit, his IQ is better, and his shot is 10x's better. Josh Whitaker is a damn good ball player IMO.
The bears are a fun team to watch that is for sure. I am not sure who are the young players that they have coming in but I am sure that they will continue that winning attitude and tradition.
[SIZE="4"]