Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-Louisville QB Stefan LeFors to coach CAL's football team
Former University of Louisville quarterback Stefan LeFors has been named the head football coach at Christian Academy, athletic director Darin Long announced Wednesday.

LeFors played at U of L from 2001 to '04 and was named the Conference USA Player of the Year as a senior. He currently works for U of L's athletic department and was a color analyst for Nelligan Sports last football season.

LeFors said he won't work for U of L once the high school season begins.

"After doing radio and being around the athletes, I knew I wanted to be even closer to the game," said LeFors, 29. "I have the desire to work with young people ...and after talking it over with my family I felt like this is what I should be doing."

LeFors replaces John Dryden, who resigned after posting a 16-8 record in two seasons. CAL reached the second round of the Class 2-A playoffs last season, falling 51-21 to eventual champion Newport Central Catholic.

"We looked at a lot of different categories -- technical knowledge, leadership and the ability to be a mentor to our young men -- and Stefan filled all the categories," Long said. "He's a great addition, and I'm excited to see what he can do with our program. I think he can take it to the next level."

LeFors was taken by Carolina in the fourth round of the 2005 NFL draft and played one season with the Panthers before being released. He played three seasons (2007-09) in the Canadian Football League before returning to Louisville.

This will be LeFors' first coaching job.

"I'm looking forward to meeting with the young guys and working with them," he said. "Once we get going and the guys start to buy into what we want to do, I think we can have a lot of success. I think there's something special in the making there."

http://www.highschoolsports.net/local/lo...ch-at-CAL/
It seems very odd that CAL would hire a guy with NO coaching experience. At least that's how I read it. It didn't say "first head coaching job," it said "first coaching job." Either way it goes, best of luck to Stefan and CAL. Do they still have the QB that was really good? If so, he'll be in good shape.
KYcoach Wrote:It seems very odd that CAL would hire a guy with NO coaching experience. At least that's how I read it. It didn't say "first head coaching job," it said "first coaching job." Either way it goes, best of luck to Stefan and CAL. Do they still have the QB that was really good? If so, he'll be in good shape.
I'm wondering if that was one of the reasons he was hired, to coach up that kid at QB. Either way it goes, wish him well. Not a UL fan, but respected his toughness. He'll have a rough time I think, in a city as competitive as Louisville on the high school scene. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but head coach right off the bat in Louisville with no prior experience is gonna be bumpy.
Good luck to CAL. What a treat for any QB to have a coach with such college experience. Granted, coaching resume' is slight or even absent, but I like the hire 100%.
PHSForever Wrote:I'm wondering if that was one of the reasons he was hired, to coach up that kid at QB. Either way it goes, wish him well. Not a UL fan, but respected his toughness. He'll have a rough time I think, in a city as competitive as Louisville on the high school scene. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but head coach right off the bat in Louisville with no prior experience is gonna be bumpy.

Well said and good points about perhaps why he was hired. Again, I'm not even sure if that QB is back; I know nothing about the situation. I've just seen him play and he was very impressive. I've got 5 years in as an assistant and couldn't imagine never having coached and trying to be a head coach. It is quite a responsibility. Like I said I hope he does very well and wish him the best of luck!
Never heard of him. Wish him all the luck in the world
I remember watching him, I like the hire. It'll be interesting to see how he does as a HC as this level.
I'm pretty sure he helped at KCD the last 2 years with Tony Stallings, Tommy Johnson, etc. This is not his "first coaching job". It very well might be his first as a Head Coach though.
KMSFA2 Wrote:I'm pretty sure he helped at KCD the last 2 years with Tony Stallings, Tommy Johnson, etc. This is not his "first coaching job". It very well might be his first as a Head Coach though.

You have him confused w/ Dave Ragone