Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cal Tours Mines In Belfry
Coach Cal tours coal mines in eastern Kentucky
UK Basketball Coach John Calipari spoke to workers at two mines in Pike and Martin Counties Friday.
Posted: 12:58 PM Apr 29, 2011

Coach John Calipari visits with coal miners. He uploaded this picture to his Twitter page Friday morning.
Story 3 Comments Font Size: UK Basketball Coach John Calipari is known for making the rounds, and Friday was no different as he spent the day in eastern Kentucky.

Coach Cal talked with hundreds of men and women, who do a job that hits close to home for him.

Workers for Alliance Coal have gone more than 400 days without time lost due to an accident.

So Friday, they got a special treat, as Coach Cal paid them a visit.

Calipari and Alliance Coal's Joe Craft toured two mines, Excel Mine #1 in the Belfry community of Pike County, and Excel Mine #2 in the Van Lear community of Martin County.

In all, Calipari addressed more than 500 workers today.

We'll have much more on Coach Cal's visit to the mines tonight on 27 NEWSFIRST at 11.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saw this and also heard about this from a couple buddies. Pretty cool stuff!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Nice gesture by Calipari and great PR move by Alliance Coal. Alliance's owner, Joe Craft donated $6 million to the UK basketball program a few years ago. Coach Cal's grandfather was a coal miner and it's great that he not only spoke to hundreds of miners but he has also toured underground mines. Not many celebrities ever actually put on a hard hat and self rescuer and venture underground.
Now Hoot you do know Cal is a democrat right? lol...Great for the Alliance to get such exposer and shows even more how commited Coach Cal is to the People of the Commenwealth
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Nice gesture by Calipari and great PR move by Alliance Coal. Alliance's owner, Joe Craft donated $6 million to the UK basketball program a few years ago. Coach Cal's grandfather was a coal miner and it's great that he not only spoke to hundreds of miners but he has also toured underground mines. Not many celebrities ever actually put on a hard hat and self rescuer and venture underground.

I wonder what Ashley Judd would think about doing this.
Cal was in the area trying to pick up recruiting tips from Belfry...:biggrin:
jetpilot Wrote:Cal was in the area trying to pick up recruiting tips from Belfry...:biggrin:

lmao :Thumbs: waiting...
jetpilot Wrote:Cal was in the area trying to pick up recruiting tips from Belfry...:biggrin:

Thats just because he knows Pikeville can't sell kids on past glory days and Pike Central can't do it right....:1: