Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Mountain Top 10
Who are the top 10 teams in the mountains for the upcoming season?
1. Bell County
2. Harlan County
3. Johnson Central
4. Belfry
5. Breathitt County
6. Perry County Central
7. Corbin
8. Hazard
9. Pike County Central
10. Prestonsburg

Other teams deserving of a spot:
Somerset
Clay County
Sheldon Clark
Lawrence County
Rockcastle County has to be on the list. Gonna be a great year this year!
LWC Wrote:Rockcastle County has to be on the list. Gonna be a great year this year!

You are right. I some how forgot about the "Rock"
I would probably take Hazard and Corbin out until later in the season. Not that they will not be good, but on the fringe of the top 10. Unfamiliar with the other possibilities, but Rockcastle and Somerset, but based upon the posts, could be the replacements.
Dungy Wrote:I would probably take Hazard and Corbin out until later in the season. Not that they will not be good, but on the fringe of the top 10. Unfamiliar with the other possibilities, but Rockcastle and Somerset, but based upon the posts, could be the replacements.

Preseason polls can be based only off of what the teams did prior the year before. So I cannot see taking Corbin or Hazard out and I sure dont see how you can add Rockcastle because they have have 2 losing seasons in a row. Some teams have to prove what they are about as the year goes on.
Respectfully disagree. Loss of a large graduating class or several great players clearly merit a great team from last year not being rated as highly the following pre-season. Likewise, many returning players that may have started as underclassmen last year should signify a better team the following year.

I do agree on proving as the season goes along, which is what I think about Hazard and Corbin. Not quite as good as last year early on, but will likely get close to that level during the season.

Also agree about Rockcastle and readily said I am unfamiliar, just can't think of any other team to put in there, and two posters already agreed they have a lot coming back.
Gummie Bear Wrote:Preseason polls can be based only off of what the teams did prior the year before. So I cannot see taking Corbin or Hazard out and I sure dont see how you can add Rockcastle because they have have 2 losing seasons in a row. Some teams have to prove what they are about as the year goes on.

What pre-season poll have you ever seen that goes ONLY on the previous season? I have never seen one.

Let's suppose Team A wins the 6A state title but graduates 42 seniors and loses everybody. They won the State Championship in the biggest class, shouldn't they be the automatic #1?

I understand the concept of a team having to prove that they are legitimate but that is what the season is for. They have 10+ games to prove they are the best or Top 10.

Pre-season polls are entirely opinionated and are just for fun.
LWC Wrote:What pre-season poll have you ever seen that goes ONLY on the previous season? I have never seen one.

Let's suppose Team A wins the 6A state title but graduates 42 seniors and loses everybody. They won the State Championship in the biggest class, shouldn't they be the automatic #1?

I understand the concept of a team having to prove that they are legitimate but that is what the season is for. They have 10+ games to prove they are the best or Top 10.

Pre-season polls are entirely opinionated and are just for fun.

Very good post, and most definitely accurate. After a few games we can get the feel for who may turn up to be the top 10 in the mountains.
1. Johnson Central
2. Harlan Co.
3. Bell Co.
4. Belfry
5. Breathitt Co.
6. Knox Central
7. Perry Central
8. P-burg
9. Somerset
10. Corbin
dont think JC should be 1, they lost alot, dont know Bell or Harlan County has,Belfry should be top3 somewhere,JC probally in top 5 though.
Mountain Wrote:1. Johnson Central
2. Harlan Co.
3. Bell Co.
4. Belfry
5. Breathitt Co.
6. Knox Central
7. Perry Central
8. P-burg
9. Somerset
10. Corbin
This looks pretty close to me. Knox will move up as the season rolls.
It really depends on what you go by.
I know WYMT goes by wins and losses alone as the season progresses, but some of the smaller schools could in no way compete with the bigger one like they have on the mountain top 10 sometimes, but i know that sometimes they do and im not dissing them before anyone goes crazy.

My top 10..

1. Harlan Co.
2. Rockcastle
3. Bell Co.
4. Johnson Central
5. Knox Central
6. Belfry
7. Pburg
8. Hazard
9. Perry County
10. Whitley Co.

Letcher and SW coiuld be in there as well.
I left Corbin out because they were expected to be a little down next year anyways and from the rumr mill around here, most of their skilled athletes have quit the team for various reasons.
1 Bell Co
2 Harlan Co
3 Johnson Central
4 Knox Central
5 Belfry
6 Hazard
7 Pulaski Co
8 Perry Central
9 Breathitt Co
10 Prestonsburg

Corbin, Whitley Co, Lawerence,Somerset, Pike Central, Sheldon Clark are all running neck and neck to crack into the top 10.
1. Bell County
2. Johnson Central
3. Harlan County
4. Belfry
5. Knox Central
6. Pulaski County
7. Rockcastle County
8. Hazard
9. Pburg
10. Breathitt County
Rockcastle has to be in there due to having almost the entire team back. Lost was a RB?LB and everyone else is back. great line and RB is back.
LWC Wrote:What pre-season poll have you ever seen that goes ONLY on the previous season? I have never seen one.

Gimme one team that has won the state that lost 42 seniors. That is a crazy example and extreme to the limits to say the least.
You can also say that the runner up to that team that lost 42 kids had 42 juniors.

But you can never count on young kids to please you, the star may not play, one may breake a leg or just quit.

Any team with a losing record the year before or bad season should not be a top 10, if so we have really bad teams in Ky.

I agree that to some instance you need to factor in what a team has coming back but they had better been pretty darn good the year before to.

People are seriosly underappreciating temas like Corbin and Perry Co.
1.Harlan Co.
2.Bell Co.
3.Belfry
4.Johnson Central
5.Knox Co.
6.Prestonsburg
7.Perry Central
8.Breathitt Co.
9.Clay co.
10.Rockcastle
1.Harlan Co.
2.Johnson Central
3.Bell Co.
4.Belfry
5.Knox Central
6.Prestonsburg
7. Clay Co.
8.Breathitt Co.
9.Perry Central
10.Rockcastle Co.

I think Rockcastle could rank high upon the list. But preseason poll i would rank them 9th or 10th. They have a long season to prove them self
Gummie Bear Wrote:Gimme one team that has won the state that lost 42 seniors. That is a crazy example and extreme to the limits to say the least.
You can also say that the runner up to that team that lost 42 kids had 42 juniors.

But you can never count on young kids to please you, the star may not play, one may breake a leg or just quit.

Any team with a losing record the year before or bad season should not be a top 10, if so we have really bad teams in Ky.

I agree that to some instance you need to factor in what a team has coming back but they had better been pretty darn good the year before to.

Obviously, I was using and exaggerated example. However, my point was made. Just because a team had a good record the previous season doesn't mean they are going to be Top 10 the next pre-season.

I tend to agree with RockSolid69, with Rockcastle County at #10. Nobody expects them to be great outside of Rockcastle County, but as the season goes on, people will figure it out. Wink

When you basically return everything and lose Bell County (2 or 3 times per season), Southwestern and Danville off the schedule, and replace it with Russell County, Montgomery County, Sheldon Clark and Frankfort, you have to think the team is going to be better.

As I stated in my previous post; pre-season polls are entirely opinion. We have different ones, and that is okay.
king360 Wrote:1.Harlan Co.
2.Bell Co.
3.Belfry
4.Johnson Central
5.Knox Co.
6.Prestonsburg
7.Perry Central
8.Breathitt Co.
9.Clay co.
10.Rockcastle

I like this one. Only change I would make is flip Belfry and Johnson Central.
Corbin will be down?
Old Redhound Wrote:Corbin will be down?

I hear this every year and all they do is win, they only had about 6 or 7 seniors this year.
Clay Co. lost a lot of seniors... are they capable of mountain top 10 status? I know they lost Wilson(QB/LB), Hooker(WR/DB), Gilbert, Reid, and more.
T1up Wrote:I hear this every year and all they do is win, they only had about 6 or 7 seniors this year.

Yes, but some people like to make these rankings as if the teams on the list were going head to head, not Corbin getting 10 wins by playing Wayne co and Mboro every year. They have lost to the teams that have been good over the last few years in the mountains, Hazard, who is 1A for example, that should end with the arrival of Bell next year and added with the fact that the only thing you hear around Corbin is that all of there skill players have quit the team makes me not want to put them in at all.
Three freshman quit. Check your scores on Corbin and the #6 Prestonsburg in the regional championship game.
i hope rock does well but good looking list
Gummie Bear Wrote:Gimme one team that has won the state that lost 42 seniors. That is a crazy example and extreme to the limits to say the least.

ST. X and T on a yearly bases have that many. 2009 St. X 34 T 10 in Championship game. St. X 52 seniors, T 36. That was only year I checked
A Prestonsburg fan will know this but in 93 or 01 when Pburg was runnerup I beieve they started 22 seniors.
king360 Wrote:1.Harlan Co.
2.Bell Co.
3.Belfry
4.Johnson Central
5.Knox Co.
6.Prestonsburg
7.Perry Central
8.Breathitt Co.
9.Clay co.
10.Rockcastle

Good list Wink
This could be the year that the Black Bears beat the Bobcats