Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2011 Boys' Kentucky All-Star team
The 2011 Boys' Kentucky All-Star team have been announced.

http://kyallstars.net/?q=node/329

Congrats to all the boys that made the team, especially Cory Rogers of GRC.
Thanks for the post, but the KY team is gonna get their heads busted... It is not gonna be pretty.
I disagree. This team is one of the biggest teams Kentucky has put out in a while and very athletic. Forget about containing Teague. A friend of mine that coaches in college says that they have another guard who is quicker than him and can fill it up. If our guards use their size we'll be fine.
Yeah right!!! Size matters only till a certain point.... They have Teague, Austin Etherington, and Chris Whitehead who are all Elite Division 1 Caliber Point Guards and we have one, Anthony Hickey. If we go into this game trying to go "Tit for Tat" Size for size and not putting our best players on the floor, then we have already lost. Just like John Calipari says, "Give me Talent any day". It's obvious the most "Talented" players in Kentucky that wanted to be on this team are not on this team. Period.....

http://www.5StarEliteSports.com
Can anybody tell me if the Setty boy has any relation to trevor Setty? Brother? Cousin?
And is he better than Trevor Setty? Because this kid is going D-1, is he really a D-1 talent?

And how did Knipp not make the team but somebody like Jordan Gilbert made the team? there is no way Gilbert is better than Knipp.
There is a huge amount of talent on this team, but there are a few players that aint on the team that should be.
And how did Knipp not make the team but somebody like Jordan Gilbert made the team? there is no way Gilbert is better than Knipp.
There is a huge amount of talent on this team, but there are a few players that aint on the team that should be.

I was actually at the tryout. Knipp didnt seem to have a very good tryout. The athleticism that he was up against might have got the best of him.
As for Jordan Gilber making the team opposed to Knipp, they are two completely different players at two different positions.
What about Gilbert making it over Shanklin? Same position there....
WALL2WALL Wrote:Can anybody tell me if the Setty boy has any relation to trevor Setty? Brother? Cousin?
And is he better than Trevor Setty? Because this kid is going D-1, is he really a D-1 talent?

Treg is the brother of Pikeville College standout Trevor Setty. Idk if he is necesarilly better than Trevor, I think Trevor was D-1 calibar but him and Wells just had such a good relationship and past that Trevor ended up in Pikeville. Would have been nice to see the brothers play together.
Nice little team, but you can not convince me that Hobo McCoy disn't deserve to be on there. This kid led the state in scoring, is as pure of a shooter as I've seen in a long time. I saw him play 4 times this year alone, as well as seeing a bunch of other teams from around the state play, this kid could have played for any of those teams. Not from Pikeville High School, but I give props to good players no matter where they are from. HE may have had a bad tryout, but body of work over the whole season should be factored in as well.
DragonFire Wrote:What about Gilbert making it over Shanklin? Same position there....

That's the question I would like to know as well. How did Gilbert make it over Shanklin? Is Gilbert really gonna be able to defend Austin Etherington or Marquise Teague??? HMMMM... I don't think so.
I agree that Shanklin is a better player than Gilbret. Not sure how he got voted in over Shanklin. I feel that the coaches did an excellent job in every other position. The only thing i can think of is that they wanted a morale booster so to speak. From the little that i have observed in Gilbert, he is a great kid; however, Shanklin is obviously the better player.
bballfan_10 Wrote:And how did Knipp not make the team but somebody like Jordan Gilbert made the team? there is no way Gilbert is better than Knipp.

I was actually at the tryout. Knipp didnt seem to have a very good tryout. The athleticism that he was up against might have got the best of him.

Knipp made it known on his Facebook that he had a terrible tryout.
KY gets the breaks beat off for the nth time. No where near enough talent to hang with the Hoosier boys.
WALL2WALL Wrote:Can anybody tell me if the Setty boy has any relation to trevor Setty? Brother? Cousin?

Treg is 6'9 and can get to the basket. He has a nice shot and rebounds well. On the down side,Treg dosn't like contact, and complains to officials alot. Mason's schedule was not as strong as some of the past seasons, it will be interesting how he fairs against this very strong Indiana team.
This is one of the more talented teams Kentucky has had in a while.
If you were at the Kentucky vs Ohio All star game you would know this.
nptb17 Wrote:If you were at the Kentucky vs Ohio All star game you would know this.

If you were a the KY vs. Ohio All Star game then you would know this is not the same team. They are missing Shanklin and one or two others.

Hobo McCoy should have made team based on name alone, plus he can score the ball
If you were at the Ky - OH all-star game then you would know that Ky. built a 20 pt lead before everyone tried to be a star and blew the lead and the game. That could be a huge factor in whythis team was picked the way it was.
HUB Wrote:If you were at the Ky - OH all-star game then you would know that Ky. built a 20 pt lead before everyone tried to be a star and blew the lead and the game. That could be a huge factor in whythis team was picked the way it was.

Exactly! We have most of the same players from the Ky vs Ohio game. The key will be for Hickey to stay fresh and out of foul trouble. Our bigs will be fine. Heck a few of our bigs are Indiana boys anyways and have been going against theirs for a while now.
HUB Wrote:If you were at the Ky - OH all-star game then you would know that Ky. built a 20 pt lead before everyone tried to be a star and blew the lead and the game. That could be a huge factor in whythis team was picked the way it was.

Excellent point!
Hickey going out of the game worries me, also. I can't see Gilbert playing big minutes against the talent that Indiana has. I think everyone is so use to seeing Hickey taking over games and being the great leader that he is and we don't think about what could happen if he gets in foul trouble or has to come out of the game for whatever reason. Seems like alot to put on one kid especially in a big time atmosphere.
From some of your posts you must have been at the Ohio game.What were the stats for the players for the Ohio game? I saw a few players but not for every player. Will help us gage how they should do in this game, but the Indiana team is so much more talented. If players didn't do well in the Ohio game, don't think they will do well in this one.
nptb17 Wrote:Exactly! We have most of the same players from the Ky vs Ohio game. The key will be for Hickey to stay fresh and out of foul trouble. Our bigs will be fine. Heck a few of our bigs are Indiana boys anyways and have been going against theirs for a while now.

When Ohio's team came back, it was when Hickey was in the game at point. He is a great player but he has an all out "balls to to the wall" type style, and that was not what they needed up 20 on the Ohio Team. Hickey is great but he only knows one style Aggressive.... That's why they need Shanklin because he knows when to be Aggressive and when to slow it down. Also he knows how the Indiana kids play because he was on the Indiana Elite AAU team with a lot of them 2 years ago.
This team has alot of size, I like this years team to break through and get a win.
Gold Charger Wrote:From some of your posts you must have been at the Ohio game.What were the stats for the players for the Ohio game? I saw a few players but not for every player. Will help us gage how they should do in this game, but the Indiana team is so much more talented. If players didn't do well in the Ohio game, don't think they will do well in this one.

Just about everyone played well certain parts of the game especially early. A couple of the Ohio boys, mainly a big guard whose name I can't remember got volcano hot and they clamped down on defense to get back in it.

Im just happy that this year we won't have to see Indiana's point guard get a triple double in the first half like Conley did in 2006.
nptb17 Wrote:Just about everyone played well certain parts of the game especially early. A couple of the Ohio boys, mainly a big guard whose name I can't remember got volcano hot and they clamped down on defense to get back in it.

Im just happy that this year we won't have to see Indiana's point guard get a triple double in the first half like Conley did in 2006.

Don't be so sure about that... You all should really research what we are gonna be up against. The best Indiana team in years!!!

nptb17 Wrote:Just about everyone played well certain parts of the game especially early. A couple of the Ohio boys, mainly a big guard whose name I can't remember got volcano hot and they clamped down on defense to get back in it.

Can you be more specific on the Ky boys play... names...stats too would be great.
Is Cody Zeller playing for Indiana?