Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Pelphrey hired at Florida as an Assistant to Bill Donovan
Former Arkansas head coach John Pelphrey, who was rumored this week as a candidate for the Miami head coaching job, has landed back at Florida as an assistant to Billy Donovan. Pelphrey served as an assistant for the Gators until 2002 before leaving to take the head coaching job at South Alabama. Donovan had space on his bench thanks to highly regarded assistant Larry Shyatt moving back to Wyoming to take the Cowboys’ head job. I think Pelphrey also played for Kentucky at some point.

We speculated some about what Pelphrey’s next move would be after he quickly rose to one of the better jobs in the country and was dismissed this spring. By going to Florida for another stint with Billy Donovan, Pelphrey should be able to keep a strong presence on the recruiting trail and position himself nicely for a good mid-major or low high-major job in the next couple of seasons. Until then, we’ll just have to crush him at least twice a year.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=78384
Wow what a step up Pelphrey.
Atleast not much has changed.
He will still get whooped by UK every year.
Wierd thing is he must have not even tried for a UK assistant job. It seems Cal would have def gave him one being from there like he has others.
Cal might not care to much for him though or vise versa or maybe him and Billy D are buds.
Bolt Wrote:Wow what a step up Pelphrey.
Wierd thing is he must have not even tried for a UK assistant job. It seems Cal would have def gave him one being from there like he has others.
Cal might not care to much for him though or vise versa or maybe him and Billy D are buds.

Pelphrey and Billy D are really close friends and Pelphrey was Donovan's assistant for about 6 years at Florida and maybe at Marshall when Donovan was there.
IMO, this is a good move. Get some experience from a great coach!
Yeah, be an assistant for a stand up guy like Calipari.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Yeah, be an assistant for a stand up guy like Calipari.

Yea that, or go to Fla St and get punded by Duke and Carolina every year.
Im not sure why anyone would pass that up:igiveup:

Why would Cal hire Pelphrey?
Bolt Wrote:Yea that, or go to Fla St and get punded by Duke and Carolina every year.
Im not sure why anyone would pass that up:igiveup:
WTH are you talking about?
Stardust Wrote:Why would Cal hire Pelphrey?

He wouldnt. My point exactly.
Great to hear. Best of luck to Pelphrey.
I like the hire by Billy D. I'd say this is only a one year thing though. I'm sure Pelphrey will be a head coach somewhere year after next, rather a big school or small.
This is Billy D helping out a good friend until he can get back on hos feet and get a HC job somewhere, If you watched the Final Four show you would understand the relationship that they share.
CardinalAlum Wrote:This is Billy D helping out a good friend until he can get back on hos feet and get a HC job somewhere, If you watched the Final Four show you would understand the relationship that they share.

:Thumbs: Excatly.
Strikeout King Wrote:Former Arkansas head coach John Pelphrey, who was rumored this week as a candidate for the Miami head coaching job, has landed back at Florida as an assistant to Billy Donovan. Pelphrey served as an assistant for the Gators until 2002 before leaving to take the head coaching job at South Alabama. Donovan had space on his bench thanks to highly regarded assistant Larry Shyatt moving back to Wyoming to take the Cowboys’ head job. I think Pelphrey also played for Kentucky at some point.

We speculated some about what Pelphrey’s next move would be after he quickly rose to one of the better jobs in the country and was dismissed this spring. By going to Florida for another stint with Billy Donovan, Pelphrey should be able to keep a strong presence on the recruiting trail and position himself nicely for a good mid-major or low high-major job in the next couple of seasons. Until then, we’ll just have to crush him at least twice a year.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=78384
Huh? You think?

Quote:University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.
There's other former Paintsville player news out there, but I'm not going to break it.
TheRealVille Wrote:Huh? You think?

I wasn't the one who said that, That's what KSR said, I just copied and past there story on here
Strikeout King Wrote:I wasn't the one who said that, That's what KSR said, I just copied and past there story on here
I know. That is why I pasted the last part to show that the guy who wrote the article, was doing it out of humor.
TheRealVille Wrote:I know. That is why I pasted the last part to show that the guy who wrote the article, was doing it out of humor.

oh lol I thought you was asking me lol