Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayers for LWC's decision
Ladies and gentlemen, I have one of the biggest decisions of my life to make. i have narrowed my Seminary choices to United Theological Seminary in Dayton (Ohio) or Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore (Outside Lexington, KY). I will be obtaining my Masters of Divinity (MDiv)

Pro's and Con's of each (major factors in bold):
*United's program can be completed in 3 years (a friend of mine did it in 2.5 years)
*[B]Asbury is 3 hours closer than United[/B]
*United's program is 78 hours, Asbury's is 96 hours
*Asbury is considered a more academic school. (more challenging=More learning)
*United offers a flex-MDiv, 2/3 online and 6 or 7 one-two week-intensive on-campus classes. (Basically, no more than 2-weeks at a time in Dayton)
*2/3 of Asbury's MDiv degree can be earned online, but every semester would have at least one class on campus (would have to go to Asbury at least one day per week every semester)

My friends, this will not be an easy choice. Lots of prayers that the Lord will show me the way are in store. I plan on starting in September of this year.

What I ask of you is two things:
1. Prayers. Please pray that the Lord will show me the light and that my plans will be in line with His and my steps will be in places that His footprints are already laid.
2. If you have been to either of these seminaries or know of anyone that has been, please give me some feedback.

Thanks y'all. You truly are a blessing.

LWC
Prayers Man, Good Luck With Your Decision
Good luck buddy, my prayers are with you!
God Bless you buddy. You know that God will lead you to where you are supposed to go. Too often we pray for answers instead of just listening. It's Gods decision on where you will go, so trust that wherever your are led is due to him making the decision and you accepting his will.
Stardust Wrote:God Bless you buddy. You know that God will lead you to where you are supposed to go. Too often we pray for answers instead of just listening. It's Gods decision on where you will go, so trust that wherever your are led is due to him making the decision and you accepting his will.

Absolutely right.
Praying for you LWC. By the way, I found a few bible verses that might help you with this decision.

Philippians 4:6 Wrote:6) Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;

Proverbs 19:21 Wrote:21) There are many plans in a man’s heart,
Nevertheless the LORD’s counsel—that will stand.
Preying for you buddy.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Praying for you buddy, on a side note I almost went to Asbury and what a beautiful place it is. Unfortunatley the money was not there for me to attend.
Thanks everyone for your prayers. I feel like the Lord is leading me to Asbury Seminary. Too many things fell into place too perfectly for it not to be the work of the Lord. They are allowing me to complete 2/3 of my degree online with FULL semesters online. They match up better with me, theologically, and that is important.

With being able to take full semesters online, my wife can finish her education at Lindsey Wilson College, and I can go ahead and start classes. To graduate in a year, my wife has to take day and night classes. If God did not work it out to where I could take all online classes for that year, I would have had to wait to start a 96-hour Masters degree.

Allow me to say, our Lord works in beautiful and mysterious ways. He also made it possible for AT LEAST $440 per credit hour to be paid for, BEFORE any aid that Asbury Seminary would give (they tend to give at least a little bit). That means for an MDiv I would owe less than $8,000 in debt. Praise God from whom all blessings flow! I have a friend that recently told me they went tuition free, so I may end up owing nothing. $8,000 would be the maximum.

My friends, I have seen a mountain in front of me, and by faith, the Lord has helped me remove it. Thanks again for your prayers. God knows I didn't enter the ministry for the money and he has always taken care of my wife and I.

I will end with this, if a burden, problem or trouble comes up in your life, trust in the Lord, no better decision can be made. I have learned in my life that making your own decisions is too hard, it is better to let the Lord make them for you.
^ Nice post LWC
Praying for God's will to have precedence in all of your decisions LWC.
LWC Wrote:Thanks everyone for your prayers. I feel like the Lord is leading me to Asbury Seminary. Too many things fell into place too perfectly for it not to be the work of the Lord. They are allowing me to complete 2/3 of my degree online with FULL semesters online. They match up better with me, theologically, and that is important.

With being able to take full semesters online, my wife can finish her education at Lindsey Wilson College, and I can go ahead and start classes. To graduate in a year, my wife has to take day and night classes. If God did not work it out to where I could take all online classes for that year, I would have had to wait to start a 96-hour Masters degree.

Allow me to say, our Lord works in beautiful and mysterious ways. He also made it possible for AT LEAST $440 per credit hour to be paid for, BEFORE any aid that Asbury Seminary would give (they tend to give at least a little bit). That means for an MDiv I would owe less than $8,000 in debt. Praise God from whom all blessings flow! I have a friend that recently told me they went tuition free, so I may end up owing nothing. $8,000 would be the maximum.

My friends, I have seen a mountain in front of me, and by faith, the Lord has helped me remove it. Thanks again for your prayers. God knows I didn't enter the ministry for the money and he has always taken care of my wife and I.

I will end with this, if a burden, problem or trouble comes up in your life, trust in the Lord, no better decision can be made. I have learned in my life that making your own decisions is too hard, it is better to let the Lord make them for you.

That's awesome, LWC!!!

Our lord is great!