Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Game Dunking?
I Read on another site, that in OH i believe it was, that if a player dunks during pregame/warmups they will be called for a Technical Foul.

thoughts?
It's stupid if the kid can dunk then let that kid dunk that is all I have to say about that.
Strikeout King Wrote:I Read on another site, that in OH i believe it was, that if a player dunks during pregame/warmups they will be called for a Technical Foul.

thoughts?
Players are allowed the opportunity to dunk in warmups before the officials come out onto the court which is usually around the 13-14 minute mark. That gives them more than 5 minutes to get it out of their system. If the officials are out and a player is seen dunking the basketball, the team will be charged with a technical foul.

edit: Just saw the OH part, my response was for KY. And most other leagues of which I am aware.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Players are allowed the opportunity to dunk in warmups before the officials come out onto the court which is usually around the 13-14 minute mark. That gives them more than 5 minutes to get it out of their system. If the officials are out and a player is seen dunking the basketball, the team will be charged with a technical foul.

edit: Just saw the OH part, my response was for KY. And most other leagues of which I am aware.

I've seen games where kids have dunked during Warmups while the Ref's are out on the court looking at both teams.

i heard that 16th Region Ref's Call them
Let them dunk if they want. I have no idea what it hurts? It gets the crowd excited, the kids get jacked up and is great for the all around atmosphere. The same things that happen in football pregame warm ups when a QB is chucking it down the field or a kicker is bombing 50+ yard punts and field goals, or in baseball warm ups when a Center Fielder throws it from the warning track on a two hop bounce, dead on to the catcher, etc. I've honestly tried looking at this topic from both sides of the coin, but for the life of me, I can't understand what is so negative about kids dunking while the refs are out on the court during pregame.
This is stupid. I do not see any type of disrespect in doing something that you would do a million times in the gym working on your game (If God blessed you with that ability/height).
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I believe it is a khsaa rule that once the officials are out there you can no longer dunk.
Ive seen many teams over the years get t'd up for this.
While i was watching the 50th district tournament, Whitley got one or two technicals before the start of the South Laurel game for dunking while the officials had just come out so it is a rule.
I don't see a point in the rule myself. Why they can't dunk in front of the refs in beyond me I mean they do dunk in front of them during the game.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Players are allowed the opportunity to dunk in warmups before the officials come out onto the court which is usually around the 13-14 minute mark. That gives them more than 5 minutes to get it out of their system. If the officials are out and a player is seen dunking the basketball, the team will be charged with a technical foul.

Strikeout King Wrote:I've seen games where kids have dunked during Warmups while the Ref's are out on the court looking at both teams.

i heard that 16th Region Ref's Call them

PT is 100% accurate. SK, you may have been mistaken, because you cannot dunk during warm-ups once the refs reach the floor. This is not a state high school rule, this is mandated by the National federation.

KHSAA

Pregame Warm-ups
The KHSAA follows guidelines set out by the National Federation of High School Athletic Associations (NFHS). NFHS rules prohibit basketball players from dunking during pregame warm-ups. If a player does dunk during warm-ups, the team's coach is assessed a technical foul. Coaches and players can be ejected from a game after acquiring two technical fouls.
It's not just a high school rule either, college is the same way. There was a conference tournament game this past week where both teams were assessed technical fouls for dunking in pregame.
If I'm not mistaken. This rule was brought around by a few broken backboards and and a few injuries. I have seen kids get hurt while attempting to dunk in pre-game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:If I'm not mistaken. This rule was brought around by a few broken backboards and and a few injuries. I have seen kids get hurt while attempting to dunk in pre-game.

Geat point hook. Campbell County lost one of our starters for the season a couple of years ago from trying something he couldn't do before the game.
OffTheHook Wrote:If I'm not mistaken. This rule was brought around by a few broken backboards and and a few injuries. I have seen kids get hurt while attempting to dunk in pre-game.

That is exactly the reason the National Federation of High schools has put in this rule. All for safety of the kids. Backboards will break and injure kids and kids will try silly stuff during warmups that could get them hurt also. On a side note, it's not only a T on the kid it's an Indirect T on the coach and they lose the coaches box and they have to sit the whole game, and if you have a couple of kids mad at the coach before the game, 3 of them could dunk and the coach would be ejected for the 3 indirect T's on him. Have only seen that happen once, then the coach was fired. :lmao:
Rules are rules. Save the dunks for the game.
I also don't see the point in it besides damage or injury, and I also don't think a "no warm-up dunk" rule should exist for the sole purpose to protect a kid from hurting himself, too protective in my opinion.

But anyway, yeah, it's been a rule for years..
I believe, as well, that it was originated because of broken backboards when the breakaway rims were not prominent or existent.
The refs jurisdiction does not start until 15 minutes prior to the game. It is great for the players and fans, but why waste energy as a player or risk potential injury. As a coach, I banned my players from doing it after receiving a technical before a game.
Stardust Wrote:Geat point hook. Campbell County lost one of our starters for the season a couple of years ago from trying something he couldn't do before the game.
Dude I hate to be off subject, but where did they bury the wrestler in ur video...just sayin that had to end his life.
A dunk is a legitimate basketball skill and therefore should be able to be praticed in warm ups in my opinion.
I say let them dunk! If they can leap, let them show it off!!
alleycat53 Wrote:Dude I hate to be off subject, but where did they bury the wrestler in ur video...just sayin that had to end his life.

Nah, it's all fake, that didn't hurt, just ask Wildcatk23:biggrin:
if you can dunk......DUNK
Let em' throw it down!
i say if a kid wants to throw it down and impress the girls from the other school, then let him dunk it. with that being said, there is no point in wearing yourself down before the game by dunking. you use alot more energy dunking the ball, than you do laying it up.
Strikeout King Wrote:I Read on another site, that in OH i believe it was, that if a player dunks during pregame/warmups they will be called for a Technical Foul.

thoughts?

DUDE they were talking about it in the KENTUCKY FORUM not the OHIO FORUM.
AshamedLCParent Wrote:DUDE they were talking about it in the KENTUCKY FORUM not the OHIO FORUM.

He was asking for an opinion based on what is done elsewhere, meaning if it can be done in another state, why not this state. It fits the topic that is being discussed perfectly.
What he meant was that SK was misinformed. They were talking abou it being illegal I'm Kentucky and SK thought they were talking about Ohio because he had never seen it called in Kentucky.
Stardust Wrote:He was asking for an opinion based on what is done elsewhere, meaning if it can be done in another state, why not this state. It fits the topic that is being discussed perfectly.

Meaning the topic he took off another site has a Kentucky forum and a Ohio forum the same question was asked in the Kentucky forum he assumed it was a rule in Ohio there too.
^ I am better educated now Wink
We all grew up shooting on bent rims, but no need to at game time. In addition, replaced backboards and rims become an economic issue. If the coaches had a say in the rule, I believe their reasoning would be that although many players can dunk, it's a high percentage shot for only a few during the game, so why let fan approval during warmups lead to a low percentage, team deflating attempt during a game?