Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairview players
WESTWOOD — Zach Segina, Chris Kimbro and Gary Felder played major roles in one of Fairview’s most special football seasons.

On Tuesday, all three seniors cast an eye to the future by signing college letters of intent.

Segina, one of the area’s top linemen, will attend Morehead State University while Kimbro and Felder are looking forward to continuing their careers together at Pikeville College.

Fairview coach Nathan McPeek did his part to get the word out on the players.

“All three are college football material,” McPeek said. “Part of my job is to help them, whether it’s sending out film or talking to coaches. It’s great to see them have this opportunity. It’s only like 5.4 percent of all high school athletes that go on to play college football.”

Fairview tied a school record with 11 wins this season and advanced to the Class A regional finals for the first time.

“Anytime you win 11 games, you have good players,” McPeek said. “These three guys always did what we asked them to do. I don’t think any of them missed a practice all year.”

Segina was named Eastern Kentucky Conference Lineman of the Year as a junior and senior. He had 28 sacks over the past two seasons.

“Zach is very nasty, and I don’t mean that in a bad way,” McPeek said. “He’s one of the most physical players I have coached in seven years.”

Segina also looked at Georgetown College and Kentucky Christian University, and strongly considered attending Eastern Kentucky University and not playing football.

“But I decided I was going to Morehead for the pre-veterinarian school they have,” said Segina, who maintains a 3.97 grade point average.

The 6-foot-4, 250-pounder likely will be redshirted next season, and Segina’s impression from the coaching staff is that he will become an offensive lineman for the Eagles.

“I always liked defense better, but I think I’m better on the offensive line,” said Segina, adding that he has benefited greatly from McPeek’s line coaching at Fairview. McPeek was an award-winning blocker at Marshall University.

“I’ve got a lot of work to do in the weight room,” Segina said. “I’m just pumped about the whole experience of playing football at the college level.”

Said McPeek: “Zach is very athletic and has a really long reach. He can have a successful career at Morehead.”

Kimbro and Felder will be roommates at Pikeville College after manning the safety positions at Fairview last season.

“We push each other on the field,” Kimbro said. “We’ve had success and great coaching at Fairview. Coach McPeek taught us things like how to overcome adversity, and perspectives on life, how to be a man.”

Kimbro earned All-Area honors as a wide receiver. He had more than 500 yards receiving and eight touchdowns, along with several interceptions.

Felder, an All-Area defensive back, was also an explosive running back for the Eagles as a senior. He had a big night carrying the ball against Lexington Christian in the regional championship game.

“Chris and Gary will be good for that level (NAIA),” McPeek said. “I think both can play early at Pikeville. Another thing, they like the teacher-student ratio of 14-to-1. I think it will help them on the academic side.”

Kimbro’s career field is nursing, while Felder plans to study business at Pikeville.

“I wanted to go to a small school, somewhere I could fit in,” Felder said.

ROCKY STANLEY can be reached at [email]rstanley@dailyindependent.com[/email] or (606) 326-2671
Congrats
Nice to see a coach get out there and really promote his players like this!

A lot of coaches seem to forget that only coaching during the season isn't what the job is all about. To me their job is to prepare, push and promote as much as possible for the next level.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Congratulations to these young men
Not many people are taking the time nor the effort to notice what he is building at Fairview, congrads to these young men.