Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 50 Johnson Central 49 (15th Region)
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:First off i dont live in Pike Co. & as you can see by my name i'm a P'burg fan. But i dont know how a neutral court gives the Pike Co. teams an advantage just because it is in Pike Co. South Floyd had as many Fans there as Pike Central. Johnson Central had twice the fans as SV. Which brings up another topic. Where are all the SV fans from last year? You guys need to come out & support your team. Just because there down dont mean there out as last nights game shows. Congrats SV. you played tenacious defense all night & hit the big shots when you needed them. Not to mention you played team ball & rotated the ball well. Very unselfish team unlike there opponent.

Well, it's true...many Valley fans can be considered "fair weather fans". And it's very tough to see this as I believe this year's team has overcome many more obstacles than last year's, however they get half the support. It's not fair to this team, so come on Valley faithful!! Get out there and support your team!! I will say that last night being a church night probably had something to do with it, though. I guess we will see on Monday...
The Expo isn't a neutral sight. SV had played at least 3 games there this year while JC had played none. However, JC did not come to play, were way too cocky, and main players couldn't score.
More Cowbell Wrote:I will agree with you on the first part. Greg is a wonderful coach who has done the best he could've done considering the talent dropoff. Just to get into the regional tournament was an accomplishment, then to pick off the pre-tourney favorite in the first round is even more amazing. Congrats Coach Newsome!

I have to disagree about the Expo being a disadvantage, though. It is the very definition of a neutral court, as it is not on any school's campus. If the tournament was rotated "back north", then that would mean having it at a high school gym and giving that particular school a HUGE advantage.

The 15th isn't the only region to hold the tournament at a neutral site, either. Other regions that do this include the 1st (Murray), 4th (WKU), 6th & 7th (Bellarmine), 9th (NKU), 11th (EKU), 13th (The Arena), and 16th (Morehead). That's 9 out of the 16 regions that do it, and I bet more would follow if they had such a facility that would serve the same purpose.

You have some good points, but I do not think the Expo is a neutral site and provides a huge advantage for the Pike Co teams. It is not fair to the other districts. It is a short drive for the Pike countiy teams. There is not any atmosphere here. Most poples in other districts would love to have the "old high school atmosphere", a much shorter drive, and have the "home court advantage" some.
and people complaining about the expo not being a neutral site? suck it up, your team lost.. find a different excuse becasue the 15th isnt the only region that has this situation. alot of other schools in different parts of the state deal with the same problem.. going to a neutral site close to the school whom which you are playing.. KEY WORD HERE 'NEUTRAL SITE!!!!
monster_energy Wrote:and people complaining about the expo not being a neutral site? suck it up, your team lost.. find a different excuse becasue the 15th isnt the only region that has this situation. alot of other schools in different parts of the state deal with the same problem.. going to a neutral site close to the school whom which you are playing.. KEY WORD HERE 'NEUTRAL SITE!!!!

No excuse for the loss, that is our fault. What we are tired of is having to drive to Pike County every year to the Region. It is not fair and it is no way a neutral court. This is not our fault. Rotate it north and lets have a Region that is fair, neutral and fun.

The people who are not from Pike Co are not as impressed with PATTON'S WHITE ELEPHANT that tax payers from all over KY have to support.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Wow!! I wouldnt say they are terrible seeing how they beat one of the 15th Region favorites twice this year. They are a rebuilding team getting better each game IMO. Good luck SV the rest of the tournament.

I wouldn't call an 11-17 record with only 2 signature wins great.
The Expo is a great site for these boys and girls, where else will the get to play in a Arena of this size or a place that can hold a big crowd? with all of that noise and etc...It does give them the best atmosphere for them to get ready to play at rupp or bowling green...

Plus it is a 45 min trip for East Ridge to the Expo Center, a 30 min trip for Belfry and a 45 min trip for Phelps...All these schools located in PIKE Co...isn't P'burg only 30 mins from Pikeville and Johnson Central or Paintsville 15 mins past that...so a total of 45 mins for them...Couldn't we say its a neutral site to play?

You can't blame the refs or the so called home calls on the Expo either? They are from the 16th Region...if any thing....look who the 15th plays in the 1st round game of the sweet sixteen (Example Girls play the 16th region first round) If there is anything wrong with that, then the KHSAA needs to look into it...

Valley just outplayed JC and valley won...No other way around it...
Neutral refers to "not a home game". The atmosphere is not a good as a small gym but the parking is great,there is no clean-up plus it is a big advantage for the winner playing in a gym with wide backgrounds similar to Rupp.Several teams get to play in the Expo by playing in the All A and the Farm Bureau Classic. The 16th plays the regional at MSU,the 13th plays at the Corbin Expo and several other regions play at similar sites.Keep it in the Expo.
MonsterMan Wrote:You have some good points, but I do not think the Expo is a neutral site and provides a huge advantage for the Pike Co teams. It is not fair to the other districts. It is a short drive for the Pike countiy teams. There is not any atmosphere here. Most poples in other districts would love to have the "old high school atmosphere", a much shorter drive, and have the "home court advantage" some.

MonsterMan Wrote:No excuse for the loss, that is our fault. What we are tired of is having to drive to Pike County every year to the Region. It is not fair and it is no way a neutral court. This is not our fault. Rotate it north and lets have a Region that is fair, neutral and fun.

The people who are not from Pike Co are not as impressed with PATTON'S WHITE ELEPHANT that tax payers from all over KY have to support.

I still don't see it as that big an advantage to the Pike Co. teams, because it is not the home court for ANY team. It's not the gym any school practices in throughout the year, so it's an adjustment for every H.S. team that plays there.

The only part I would agree with is the driving issue, but even that is not as cut-and-dried. As was mentioned in another post, Phelps and East Ridge both have long drives just to get to downtown Pikeville. Betsy Layne and Prestonsburg are both closer to the Expo than these two Pike county schools, and Paintsville is not much further than P-Burg. The only schools located close to the Expo are Pikeville and Pike Central, and Valley to a lesser extent. Anybody else has a decent drive on their hands.

But what does drive time really mean as far as home court advantage, anyway? I suppose that the closer you are, the more fans may come out to support you. But JC has their own advantage in that respect, seeing as how they are the biggest school in the region by far and thus have the largest fanbase to draw from. Considering the size of JC, they can more than make up for the fans lost due to extra driving time.

As for the building itself, I don't see how you couldn't see it as the best facility to hold the tournament. Plenty of seats to accommodate all teams' fans, plenty of parking, and no team has a home-court advantage. If there was another similar neutral facility like the Expo in Prestonsburg or Paintsville, then they could rotate the tourney between the two, but there's not.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would worry more about why my school has so many students, and doesn't dominate in every sport. The basketball team should be the best year in and year out!!!! Would you rather drive to Phelps for the tournament or South Floyd?
Huge win for Valley, they are peaking at just the right time.
Panther Thunder Wrote:It is awesome.

Awesome is a understatement lol.
pikevilleout Wrote:The Expo is a great site for these boys and girls, where else will the get to play in a Arena of this size or a place that can hold a big crowd? with all of that noise and etc...It does give them the best atmosphere for them to get ready to play at rupp or bowling green...

Plus it is a 45 min trip for East Ridge to the Expo Center, a 30 min trip for Belfry and a 45 min trip for Phelps...All these schools located in PIKE Co...isn't P'burg only 30 mins from Pikeville and Johnson Central or Paintsville 15 mins past that...so a total of 45 mins for them...Couldn't we say its a neutral site to play?

You can't blame the refs or the so called home calls on the Expo either? They are from the 16th Region...if any thing....look who the 15th plays in the 1st round game of the sweet sixteen (Example Girls play the 16th region first round) If there is anything wrong with that, then the KHSAA needs to look into it...

I agree with some of this, but are you saying for the convience of the Pike County Schools we should play the Region in Pikeville at the Expo? If the Region was at P'burg or Paintsville(JC) it would be a much closer drive for some of us. Let each school rotate in the Region and decide where they want it played. For alot of us Pikeville is not ground zero.
eaglesrule Wrote:The Expo isn't a neutral sight. SV had played at least 3 games there this year while JC had played none. However, JC did not come to play, were way too cocky, and main players couldn't score.

Wasn't the PIT played at the Expo?
pikevilleout Wrote:The Expo is a great site for these boys and girls, where else will the get to play in a Arena of this size or a place that can hold a big crowd? with all of that noise and etc...It does give them the best atmosphere for them to get ready to play at rupp or bowling green...

I don't think anyone is blaming the loss to it being played at the expo, however you would think it being at the expo that the restrooms would be kept up better than they were. At half time their was no tissue and when I made a trip to the concession stand to get some they said I should find someone with a walkie talkie and they could help me..lol (was happy to know the the concession stand had napkins)...anyways....As far as the game went I believe that JC should of had this team well under control in the first half and I believe some adjustments should of been made that was not. I believe the refs sucked but they sucked both ways. I think the expo is a nice place to play for the most part but you lose that high school enviroment when you play there. Paid $5.00 to park only to have to walk a half mile, a coke cost $4.00. I would think all the high schools would benefit more if they rotated each year.
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:I don't think anyone is blaming the loss to it being played at the expo, however you would think it being at the expo that the restrooms would be kept up better than they were. At half time their was no tissue and when I made a trip to the concession stand to get some they said I should find someone with a walkie talkie and they could help me..lol (was happy to know the the concession stand had napkins)...anyways....As far as the game went I believe that JC should of had this team well under control in the first half and I believe some adjustments should of been made that was not. I believe the refs sucked but they sucked both ways. I think the expo is a nice place to play for the most part but you lose that high school enviroment when you play there. Paid $5.00 to park only to have to walk a half mile, a coke cost $4.00. I would think all the high schools would benefit more if they rotated each year.

OMGosh i agree. the bathrooms are never stocked with paper and I think its very hard on ppl to bring a family to the expo because of the high costs. Maybe an adjustment should be made for the high school game nights on the concession costs. It's ridiculous!
This from a hardcore JC fan.

This is a little embarrassing. They should be able to win it in a barn loft in downtown Freeburn or in a cornfield in the Royalton suburbs. It shoudn't matter. There is nothing wrong with the expo. It is a great place to hold the tournament. Plenty of good chair back seating and decent parking. JC won the thing there in '06 and the atmosphere was phenominal. In fact if anyone else would care to remember, JC rocked the place down with the "Wipe Out" theme in '06. Seems as if JC won some kind of an award for that little deal tool. I believe we also were runners up there in what '08 too? Guess who we beat there in '06? Yeah it was this same SV team. It time for all the JC fans to quit the belly aching and the boohooing about stupid stuff like neutral courts, look in the mirror, and face the real facts about what is wrong with the program and fix that first.
Bob Seger Wrote:This from a hardcore JC fan.

This is a little embarrassing. They should be able to win it in a barn loft in downtown Freeburn or in a cornfield in the Royalton suburbs. It shoudn't matter. There is nothing wrong with the expo. It is a great place to hold the tournament. Plenty of good chair back seating and decent parking. JC won the thing there in '06 and the atmosphere was phenominal. In fact if anyone else would care to remember, JC rocked the place down with the "Wipe Out" theme in '06. Seems as if JC won some kind of an award for that little deal tool. I believe we also were runners up there in what '08 too? Guess who we beat there in '06? Yeah it was this same SV team. It time for all the JC fans to quit the belly aching and the boohooing about stupid stuff like neutral courts, look in the mirror, and face the real facts about what is wrong with the program and fix that first.

I will disagree with you on the Expo and be a little embarassed too. It is a big barn that is starting to run down and get the "Pike Co Flavor". The costs are prohibitive for most high school students and parents.

I will agree the JC basketball program is broke and needs to be fixed. All of our sports and acadmeic programs compete on the State or National level and we can not defeat a first round oppent in the weakest region in the state. Need to clean house!
Bob Seger is right on the mark.
The location was not the reason JC lost, the turmoil throughout the season was.

These other teams remaining better take advantage this year of Shelby Valley as it looks to me they could dominate this region again for the next 4-5 years.
No, the PIT was not played at the Expo.
As for Valley IMO they played a decent not great game. They shot the ball well, defended well at times. However, turned it over 32 times, late in the game short poorly from the foul line and allowed JC back in the game when they had their foot on the necks of the Eagles. The only thing that saved them in this game was good perimeter shooting and open looks.

Great season by JC good luck to their future (find a new coach please). As for Valley good luck on Monday its nice to see a down year turn into something to cheer about. Future of Valley will be many regional championship 2 years from now looking forward.
MonsterMan Wrote:I will disagree with you on the Expo and be a little embarassed too. It is a big barn that is starting to run down and get the "Pike Co Flavor". The costs are prohibitive for most high school students and parents.

I will agree the JC basketball program is broke and needs to be fixed. All of our sports and acadmeic programs compete on the State or National level and we can not defeat a first round oppent in the weakest region in the state. Need to clean house!
I guess if we won the thing at the expo this year, I venture to say that not the first word would have been said about anything. It's only when you loose that the griping starts about little things that are irrelevant to the basketball game.

Whoever goes to Rupp will have the same economic obstacles only on a much larger scale when you go down there and I dare to say there would not be the first person post on here about how prohibitive the costs are. They will buy the $4 gas to run in their 12MPG 4-wheel drive, pay $150 for a motel room, eat out at the nice restaraunts at $30 a plate, pay $5 for the parking, pay the big price for the tickets, and buy the $4 popcorn and the $5 cokes, all with a big ol smile on their face just like it's vacation time in the Bahamas.
Bob Seger Wrote:I guess if we won the thing at the expo this year, I venture to say that not the first word would have been said about anything. It's only when you loose that the griping starts about little things that are irrelevant to the basketball game.

Whoever goes to Rupp will have the same economic obstacles only on a much larger scale when you go down there and I dare to say there would not be the first person post on here about how prohibitive the costs are. They will buy the $4 gas to run in their 12MPG 4-wheel drive, pay $150 for a motel room, eat out at the nice restaraunts at $30 a plate, pay $5 for the parking, pay the big price for the tickets, and buy the $4 popcorn and the $5 cokes, all with a big ol smile on their face just like it's vacation time in the Bahamas.

Rupp is a trip that one team from the region has to make. A usually, once in a lifetime thing. And some people use their vacation money to go watch their kids play at that tourney. I just think that a regional tournament should not be so cost prohibitive for families. Just my opinion, for what its worth.
Bob Seger Wrote:I guess if we won the thing at the expo this year, I venture to say that not the first word would have been said about anything. It's only when you loose that the griping starts about little things that are irrelevant to the basketball game.

The loss has nothing in it, I was complaing the whole way down 23 before the game. I would rather take a beating than drive 23 south at that time of day.

Yes but for those that go to the State they will be in Lexington! It is worth the price with what Lexington has to offer, not in Pikeville.
It only makes complete sense to have the regional tournament at the expo. Quit whining about having to drive. Its not like its far away. No more than an hour drive from any school in the 15th. Except for maybe Lawrence County and Magoffin County.

It simply gives the kids more of a big arena feel and lets them get used to it when they head to rupp and Bowling Green. And trust me, Rupp is alot different then playing in a little packed gym that isnt even big enough to host a regional tournament in the first place. I dont understand why everyone disses the Expo Center. It is a great thing for this area and these ball players during this time of year.

I drive US 23 North and South everyday from Jenkins to Uylsses. Nothing wrong with it.
MonsterMan Wrote:The loss has nothing in it, I was complaing the whole way down 23 before the game. I would rather take a beating than drive 23 south at that time of day.

Yes but for those that go to the State they will be in Lexington! It is worth the price with what Lexington has to offer, not in Pikeville.

I see a pattern of complaining. Anyone who complains about driving on a nice 4-lane highway on a beautiful sunny day to a basketball game played in a beautiful arena simply needs to just stay at the house.
hootie Wrote:I would worry more about why my school has so many students, and doesn't dominate in every sport. The basketball team should be the best year in and year out!!!! Would you rather drive to Phelps for the tournament or South Floyd?

No school in this region should be able to compete with JC in any sports.

As for the expo center it is the only place that could do it. In 08 when we played valley there were at least 4,000 fans, I believe there were more there for that game than either of the "Record Breaking" Georgetown, and Pikeville college games. There isnt a high school gym in the state that could've held that crowd.
VoR_58 Wrote:It only makes complete sense to have the regional tournament at the expo. Quit whining about having to drive. Its not like its far away. No more than an hour drive from any school in the 15th. Except for maybe Lawrence County and Magoffin County.

It simply gives the kids more of a big arena feel and lets them get used to it when they head to rupp and Bowling Green. And trust me, Rupp is alot different then playing in a little packed gym that isnt even big enough to host a regional tournament in the first place. I dont understand why everyone disses the Expo Center. It is a great thing for this area and these ball players during this time of year.

I drive US 23 North and South everyday from Jenkins to Uylsses. Nothing wrong with it.
Very true words! :Thumbs:
I don't mind the Expo, but I do mind the way the districts are set up. But, I digress.
More Cowbell Wrote:I still don't see it as that big an advantage to the Pike Co. teams, because it is not the home court for ANY team.
The only point I agree with on peoples Expo opinions is that SV played 3 games there this year. They've just played 6 games at SV. Betsy Lane is the only other team in the 15th have had that advantage. It's like a home court to them.