Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 50 Johnson Central 49 (15th Region)
It was a good game for S/V, J/C just couldn't get it together tonight.. and as the sayin goes anything can happen in tournament time. The slate is wiped clean it's anybody's game......I pick the Bobcats to end up in the championship game..
I really thought SV would win.
Congrats Valley
This is absolutely crazy. I never would have picked Valley to knock off Johnson Central twice in a rebuilding season like this. One heck of a coaching job to come up with the right game plan and defensive scheme to keep the score low and in your favor. From the very beginning, the game flowed exactly how Valley needed/wanted it to. I thought that Johnson would completely come out at the half and get things straight but Valley completely keep them flustered the entire game. Johnson should have won by 10 or so, but a hot shooting, defensively minded Valley team was able to scrap this game out and push on through like they have all year. They could not have made this alum as proud for this season. Now lets keep the overachievements going and go for the whole darn thing!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congratulations Shelby Valley, your coach is the real deal. I have to say the most improved team from the 15th region this year.
The Installer Wrote:Congratulations Shelby Valley, your coach is the real deal. I have to say the most improved team from the 15th region this year.

From someone that has not only played against him, but coached against him as well, I can agree with you 100% on that.

Congrats to Greg and SV.
Do they give out superlatives like that?? ;P
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
just like to take this time to congratulate my fav. player on j.c,'s team.:Clap: you've played behind other name player's all year son, even though in my opinion the team could'nt do without your hustle and your heart!!:Thumbs: even though you had to play in the shadows of other's you still were no.1 in my heart. i think tonight's game proved to everyone what kind of man you are, your hustle, your grit, a heart that just would not give up, player of the game by WSIP, should make all regional team, unless they forget your name,lol, if they don't choose you ,i'll buy you a trophy!:1: i love ya #13, TATE SALYER. enjoyed watching you play, good luck to you, my baby boy!:Clap::Clap:
No way should you lose to a team that turns the ball over 29 times. Absolutley a pathetic effort by an good jc team. I'm in shock about the effort and no hustle out of that group no affense but after seeing that paintsvilles bunch was much more deserving of a tournament birth. Congrats valley
Plain and simple guys JC overlooked Valley. Valley comes in with nothing to lose no one picks them to win and upsets a very good team. This is the 15th region you can't overlook anybody any team can win this region, but I can't wait till Monday. If you are a basketball fan then you should be in love with the 15th this year.
TheRealVille Wrote:Are you still in school, or out?

PHS class of 2006 baby go tigers :Cheerlead
Any JC fans have state tourny tickets for sale or their hotel rooms I'm in need of a hotel and tickets for this years tourny.
Tate hustled his butt off tonight, very proud of him.
Congrats to Shelby Valley on the win. Brett you had a nice game tonight and I wish you luck the rest of the way.

JC you all had a good year, hold your heads up. Very proud of everyone of you. To all the JC seniors, I'm going to miss watching you all play, It's been a pleasure.:Thumbs:
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:No way should you lose to a team that turns the ball over 29 times. Absolutley a pathetic effort by an good jc team. I'm in shock about the effort and no hustle out of that group no affense but after seeing that paintsvilles bunch was much more deserving of a tournament birth. Congrats valley

Wow, those are some pretty tough words. How can you say P-ville was much more "deserving"? I think JC "EARNED" their spot in the region when they WON district.
Well, Valley, you keep surprising us this season (good and bad). Way to go. After witnessing this ugly game, I will say that there is no way you should win with that many turnovers, but then again your defense forced turnovers and came up with the stops when you needed em. It seemed like the whole game SV would build a 5-7 point lead and then JC would cut it to 1-3 but would never be able to get over the hump. Also, I thought the Blue Crew did alright, but was ashamed that they kept calling one of the JC boys a "Yeti" - was was that about? But anyway, good luck Valley against the Hawks...it will be much tougher to control the tempo and defend against Hobo & Co.
Grats Valley !!!.... Told you !!!:lmao:
EYESPYJC Wrote:Grats Valley !!!.... Told you !!!:lmao:

Are you the guy who played at JC and then had a family member fired from that school so that makes you switch sides? I think you need to grow up and finally admit that you are very childish!! No one thinks you are very intelligent and most are getting tired of your classless remarks. :please:
Missed on this one, thought this was the year for the Eagles.
Shelby Valley tradition holds up as they get to play another day.
Congrats to SV for the win, you played your game and won.

Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows the JC talent was 10 points better. SV was better coached and executed a great game plan.

Every year the JC middle school turns out enough talent to keep three high shcools going. They get to the high school and nothing happens. How much longer are we going to waste all this talent put up with this situation?

I agree with an eariler post, the Expo gives the advantage to the Pike Co schools and it does not feel like a high school game in there. We need rotate it back north to a high school gym and even it out. I guesss since the Expo is one biggest mistakes the tax payers have to pay for so they try anything to keep it busy.
Congrats Valley. Appears JC let Valley control the tempo of the game.
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:Wow, those are some pretty tough words. How can you say P-ville was much more "deserving"? I think JC "EARNED" their spot in the region when they WON district.

Sorry, it was more so a rant last night, just watching a team with so much talent not playing with any determenation or grit is just really disappointing. JC IMO will be looking for a new coach after this season because it is obvious he can not get the most out of his team. Paintsville even though playing the season with lesser talent showed they wanted to go furthur I just for one did not see that much out of this JC team this season. Great team no desire.
Enough negativity here, Congrats SV on the win.. Good luck to JC seniors in your future.. it hurts to realize when your washed up and have no sports left to look forward too... so i hear a few of these JC boys are going to Pikeville College to play football?
9-point i culdnt agree more its not the end of the road for these talented kids, just the wrap up on highschool basketball. goodluck to these seniors
Very impressive win for Shelby Valley. Just goes to show that even when the talent isn't what it was before, good coaching and a lot of hustle can still get you a win.

Count me in the group that had JC pegged to at least get to the regional finals. I figured that Valley's earlier victory over the Eagles would actually hurt them here, as it would eliminate the element of surprise and keep JC from overlooking the Wildcats. The fact that SV was able to pull off a shocker twice is that much more surprising.

Good luck against PC and Hobo on Monday!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HawksRule Wrote:Plain and simple guys JC overlooked Valley.

I know at first glance it would seem like the only way SV could win was if JC overlooked them. But then again, how do you overlook a team that beat you by 10 points on your own home floor just two weeks ago? I would think that would've served to motivate JC even more in this one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MonsterMan Wrote:Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows the JC talent was 10 points better. SV was better coached and executed a great game plan.

I agree with an eariler post, the Expo gives the advantage to the Pike Co schools and it does not feel like a high school game in there. We need rotate it back north to a high school gym and even it out. I guesss since the Expo is one biggest mistakes the tax payers have to pay for so they try anything to keep it busy.

I will agree with you on the first part. Greg is a wonderful coach who has done the best he could've done considering the talent dropoff. Just to get into the regional tournament was an accomplishment, then to pick off the pre-tourney favorite in the first round is even more amazing. Congrats Coach Newsome!

I have to disagree about the Expo being a disadvantage, though. It is the very definition of a neutral court, as it is not on any school's campus. If the tournament was rotated "back north", then that would mean having it at a high school gym and giving that particular school a HUGE advantage.

The 15th isn't the only region to hold the tournament at a neutral site, either. Other regions that do this include the 1st (Murray), 4th (WKU), 6th & 7th (Bellarmine), 9th (NKU), 11th (EKU), 13th (The Arena), and 16th (Morehead). That's 9 out of the 16 regions that do it, and I bet more would follow if they had such a facility that would serve the same purpose.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I have to admit I watched Shelby Valley play over the summer and did not think they looked very good at all and thought that it would be a long rebuilding year for them and an easy win for most teams they played. I never could have guessed that same team would win their first game of regionals against the team a lot of people had going to Rupp.
OffTheHook Wrote:I was listening. Radio said "Parker for 3...Gooood. No they're calling it a two." And that was the final shot and they lost by one. I was just asking how close it was.

They counted it as a 3. They where down 4. I was right over the floor where he shot the ball & his left foot was half way over the line. Didnt matter anyway time expired as SV inbounded the ball.
the 1 the only Wrote:PHS class of 2006 baby go tigers :Cheerlead
With quotes like this, you are making Paintsville teachers look bad then. You should go back and get another year in English. I find it hard to believe Paintsville would graduate someone with those writing and English skills.

Quote:WOW I am shocked which player wouldnt give up the ball for JC this game
I hope the JC fans get their ticket money back cause it wasn't a day ago some thought they was a bigger lock than the sun rising. I felt like the coach couldn't keep it together no disipline kept a running circus all season long. Can't believe the JC fans would stand for a coach like that.

Congrats Valley. Good try JC.
MonsterMan Wrote:Congrats to SV for the win, you played your game and won.

Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows the JC talent was 10 points better. SV was better coached and executed a great game plan.

Every year the JC middle school turns out enough talent to keep three high shcools going. They get to the high school and nothing happens. How much longer are we going to waste all this talent put up with this situation?

First off i dont live in Pike Co. & as you can see by my name i'm a P'burg fan. But i dont know how a neutral court gives the Pike Co. teams an advantage just because it is in Pike Co. South Floyd had as many Fans there as Pike Central. Johnson Central had twice the fans as SV. Which brings up another topic. Where are all the SV fans from last year? You guys need to come out & support your team. Just because there down dont mean there out as last nights game shows. Congrats SV. you played tenacious defense all night & hit the big shots when you needed them. Not to mention you played team ball & rotated the ball well. Very unselfish team unlike there opponent.