Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lone Oak quarterback transfers to Tilghman
Looks as if Tyler Presnell, the oft traveled junior Lone Oak quarterback whom Coach Jack Haskins benched last year in favor of freshman phenom Cole Ousley, has transferred to Paducah Tilghman. Presnell (formerly of Warren East) was reportedly in school at Tilghman today. Tilghman QB Sam Cox is a senior. I'm guessing this will initiate a spirited debate. Ironically, it was Jack Haskins' son, Billy Jack, a former Mr. Football, who transferred from UK to Rhode Island in 1997 when Hal Mumme decided instead to go with Tim Couch. Tilghman opens the 2011 season at home against Lone Oak on August 19. Could be a real interesting night.
Tica Wrote:Looks as if Tyler Presnell, the oft traveled junior Lone Oak quarterback whom Coach Jack Haskins benched last year in favor of freshman phenom Cole Ousley, has transferred to Paducah Tilghman. Presnell (formerly of Warren East) was reportedly in school at Tilghman today. .

Are you saying this kid has played at Warren East, Lone Oak and now Paducah Tilghman in just 3 years?

If so, how is that possible?
All he has to have is a legitimate change of address...that simple.
bigboy26 Wrote:All he has to have is a legitimate change of address...that simple.

I am not acusing the kid but it is far from that simple. You can't play even if you have a legitimate change of address if the khsaa deems that the move was for athletic purposes.

See Will Dunn case...
He will not get eligible this time around. Mark it down. 1 time you can say it is legitimate, 2nd time I don't think so. KHSAA is not allowing kids to move around like they did before.
His father relocated from Bowling Green to Paducah 2-3 years ago because of business. No disputing that. The city and county districts here are like a jigsaw puzzle, the boundaries zig and zag all over the place. My info is they now live within the city district. I am not sure if he is even going to play football. But one would have to think that is still an interest.
Interesting to see how the KHSAA rules on this.
Hmmm.. This is quite the situation lol. Could be very intresting.
One of two things must happen. If this is a legit change of address (and there are SEVERAL things that can make it legit...i.e. parents move closer to work, move up or size down the house, etc.) then the KHSAA will probably have to let him play.

If they say that is is not legit, then he'll either have to be allowed to stay at Lone Oak and play or they'll still have to let him play at Tilghman.
goscots56 Wrote:If they say that is is not legit, then he'll either have to be allowed to stay at Lone Oak and play or they'll still have to let him play at Tilghman.

Not true.

There is a 3rd option.

They don't let the kid play anywhere.

Once again see Will Dunn Situation.

After he had enrolled at Boyle County and thought he would be allowed to play and could not, then even if he had went back and enrolled at Danville he could not have played there either because he would be moving schools again. I believe that is how it went.

Why did he leave Warren East in the first place.

I agree about the city lines in Paducah, I've had a lot of people reference that place as a logistic nightmare when concerning enrollment at schools.
guys players transfer all the time.. if you got a legit address and send a letter explaining your moving your child for academic purposes or some bs like then everything will be good.. your acting like the KHSAA is the NCAA lol.. its not interesting at all he will get ruled eligible.. every states high school athletic association does a poor job at dealing with situations like this. I read a story about a basketball player in Mississippi that transferred every year in high school cause of coaching or some other reason something like that..
The kid presently resides in county district, family is reportedly gonna rent in PT dist. He left LO and popped up at PT today. Should be interesting!
Did Will Dunn not try to move in with his other parent? That is not a LEGIT change of address, I have seen kids move states to live with another parent (not for athletics), and the KHSAA rule them ineligible because they didn't live with their court appointed guardian. KHSAA can't deny it, and won't if the address change is legit...tons of examples can be cited. It takes an awful lot to hold a kid out if they actually move. Write it down, it they move (if moving often you must provide proof of sale of home, or home being under contract) he will play.
Alot of unanswered questions.....but it all boils down to if his move is legit.

IF his parents are RENTING an apartment....this will probably not be considered legit.

IF he is living with a "non court appointed" parent....this is not legit either (but all they have to do in this case it make it court appointed.

I guess this becomes a real story if all they did was rent a house and he is deemed eligible.
goscots56 Wrote:Alot of unanswered questions.....but it all boils down to if his move is legit.

I guess this becomes a real story if all they did was rent a house and he is deemed eligible.

Agreed!
You CAN rent an apartment if you show proof of sale of home, or home is under contract with a realtor, and you have a contract with an apartment or any other rental property. The burden of proof for anything would not be on the student, but rather Lone Oak to contest his transfer. There are a lot of loop holes and ways to circumvent the system, you just have to have your I's doted and T's crossed. It just takes a smart parent to look at things, figure it out, and provide necessary documents to speed up the process.
Another interesting twists is that his sister is still going to Lone Oak. LO is not expected to contest his transfer so who knows
There is open enrollment in both school systems so technically it is not a problem for the sister to go to LO.
Tica Wrote:There is open enrollment in both school systems so technically it is not a problem for the sister to go to LO.

Still makes his case more difficult I would think.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:The kid presently resides in county district, family is reportedly gonna rent in PT dist. He left LO and popped up at PT today. Should be interesting!

If this is the case, this is no different that the Mitchel case at Highlands back in 2004 and everyone knows how that mess turned out. I believe Highlands get back back their wins just last year that the KHSAA took away in 2004.
no one can predict what KHSAA will do. they are about as consistent as the weather.

they seem to err on the side of ineligible if they even remotely suspect that there is something not 100% though.
Rebel55 Wrote:If this is the case, this is no different that the Mitchel case at Highlands back in 2004 and everyone knows how that mess turned out. I believe Highlands get back back their wins just last year that the KHSAA took away in 2004.

No, the difference was that Mitchel's family never actually lived in the apartment (if memory serves me right), which means they still lived in the original address, or out of district. If the kid and his family move across town, and have the other place under contract, they SHOULD be ok...but like an earlier post said, the KHSAA can get the same two cases and rule them differently. In which the family would be able to appeal.

I have noticed over the past 15 years that the KHSAA is much more like an insurance company, deny first, then see if anybody contests it. You could always just get a circut court judge to rule you eligible and overrule the KHSAA!
This will be looked at very closely by the KHSAA. The fact that sis is staying at the other school could doom him. The KHSAA could argue that if transportation is possible for her to get to Lone Oak, then there is no additional hardship to him to also attend. No idea how this one will play out.
Coach E Wrote:No, the difference was that Mitchel's family never actually lived in the apartment (if memory serves me right), which means they still lived in the original address, or out of district. If the kid and his family move across town, and have the other place under contract, they SHOULD be ok...but like an earlier post said, the KHSAA can get the same two cases and rule them differently. In which the family would be able to appeal.

I have noticed over the past 15 years that the KHSAA is much more like an insurance company, deny first, then see if anybody contests it. You could always just get a circut court judge to rule you eligible and overrule the KHSAA!

They lived in the Apt in Ft Thomas but still owned the house in the other town and rented it out.
I remember all through the Willl Dunn situation they made reference to. If you played Varsity at one school you could not transfer and play Varsity at anothre school.
sstack Wrote:They lived in the Apt in Ft Thomas but still owned the house in the other town and rented it out.

Yes but they rented to a son and did so real cheap
French For President Wrote:I remember all through the Willl Dunn situation they made reference to. If you played Varsity at one school you could not transfer and play Varsity at anothre school.

You certainly can, it happens all the time.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Yes but they rented to a son and did so real cheap

I did hear it was a family member, but never heard a rental price. For the record, Highlands only played this kid because initially he was OK'd by KHSAA, and later in the season because of a court order. Highlands was put in a bad situation because of unclear rules by KHSAA, rules that where/are not enforced equally around the state, and due to different ruling by the courts and the KHSAA. I am one that thinks this kid and his family moved to Ft Thomas simple for him to play football at HHS secondary to conflicts between him and coaches at Cov Cath. However, when court orders declared him eligable to play and family threatening legal action agianst the school (that is what I heard, don't know for fact if it is true) if they did not let him play, Highlands was left in a bad situation. That is why these situations need to be decided before the season is started.
Coach E Wrote:No, the difference was that Mitchel's family never actually lived in the apartment (if memory serves me right), which means they still lived in the original address, or out of district. If the kid and his family move across town, and have the other place under contract, they SHOULD be ok...but like an earlier post said, the KHSAA can get the same two cases and rule them differently. In which the family would be able to appeal.

No, the Mitchel's along with their son, Mike did live in the apartment inside the school district of Highlands. Like another poster said they rented their home to another family member.
Rebel55 Wrote:No, the Mitchel's along with their son, Mike did live in the apartment inside the school district of Highlands. Like another poster said they rented their home to another family member.

You are correct in that the Mitchells lived in Ft. Thomas. Heck the last I heard they were still living in Ft. Thomas. The Mitchells testified under oath in from of a judge that they had not gone back to their Florence home but twice to pick up possessions and never spent a night in their Florence home after they moved to Ft. Thomas (which was before Mitchell transferred to Highlands). The KHSAA has the opportunity to offer proof that the Mitchells were lieing, but offered nothing. I have to logically assume that the KHSAA had hired a private investigator (they usually do) to see if the Mitchells were still living in Florence but he evidently found no evidence that such was occurring, for if he had the KHSAA would have entered it into the record and presented such evidence to the Judge.

The Mitchells rented their Florence home to their son and a non-family member and gave them each an option to purchase the home at market value I was told. Frankly there was nothing in the KHSAA by law that would have prevented them from moving back to Florence after the son graduated. It was only after the KHSAA had declared the son ineligible and the court issued the ruling that the kid was eligible that the KHSAA amended the by law to require that the bona fide change of residence be permanent, which was a rather stupid amendment in my opinion. What's the KHSAA going to do, if 10 years after a player graduates the parents move back in their former home, retroactively declare the kid ineligible? Thank goodness that the prior KHSAA leadership and legal counsel are no longer around. Not the sharpest tools in the shed. If the KHSAA thought retaining the former home was proof that a move could not not bona fide, just amend the by law to state such instead of mickey mousing around the issue. That way everyone reading the by law would understand the ramifications of retaining the former home.