Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If not Calipari, then who?
I've seen a lot of people complain about Calipari on here and on other websites like Facebook & CatsPause, so who do you guys want to be UK's head coach? Someone that would actually consider leaving where they are now (not Coach K, Donovan, Izzo, or Pitino).

Calipari is the man for the job IMO.
that's a good question BCA, i know some people that think that Coach Cal should be gone but like you said who would UK get to replace him? the coaches you mentioned aren't gonna leave there respectable school, I Say that Coach Cal is the right man for the Job, UK's just having a Down Year from last year, Give Them A Little While and They'll Be Back On Top Again Right Where They Should Be.
Im not even going to be nice and sugar coat this..... If you think that UK should "cut-loses" and get rid of Cal..... You may be one of the biggest fair weather fans on this planet. You will NEVER EVER hear a logical thinking fan say anything like this after what is considered a down year for coach Cal. I may disagree with things that the coach will do and some things that he may say but ANY type of talk of getting Cal out should be brushed off and those people should be verbally ripped apart. I am sorry, I know that BlackCat and Strikeout king feel the same way as me with regards to the "crazies" on catspause etc. I can understand people being mad and upset with how the year has gone but so many things have played into this season in a negative manner and somehow relates to Cal NOT being the man for the job..... That is insane.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lol.
There is nobody else just Cal.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Lol.

Wildcat I love the avatar!!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cal is the coach for us. He took us from the NIT to the Elite 8 in one year. We lost 4 starters from last year, so I think any realistic fan expected 5-8 losses, but just didn't expect it to be to such bad teams. Next year fans won't even remember this year. Heck, this season isn't over yet!
Why would you even want anyone else? Losses happen.
Don't really think its the coach's ability to coach, but I do think he gets himself in trouble with the type of players he recruits.

It has to be tough coaching up a group of Frosh every year with the expectations of winning a national title.....but at the same time, he's the one that puts himself in the situation of coaching freshmen.
I never wanted UK to hire Calipari in the first place.
I wonder where all the Cal bashers are? I support the UK coach, but like most, I love to criticize after losses and show joy in wins.
goscots56 Wrote:Don't really think its the coach's ability to coach, but I do think he gets himself in trouble with the type of players he recruits.

It has to be tough coaching up a group of Frosh every year with the expectations of winning a national title.....but at the same time, he's the one that puts himself in the situation of coaching freshmen.

You're right, Calipari does put himself in these situations, but I still think he's a learning coach. This is the first program he's coached that's in a BCS conference. Imagine this team in the A-10 or C-USA. They'd probably be considered a #1 seed and only have 3 or 4 losses right now. I do think that Coach Cal has to make an adjustment and recruit guys that will stick around for 3 or 4 years and be able to produce their freshman season also. I think that Doron Lamb is one of those players and I also think that Kyle Wiltjer will be that type of player when he comes in next season.

I still think that this years team is capable of winning the SEC and making a run in the NCAA Tournament.
Tell me one coach that could have taken a new team from the NIT to the elite 8 in just one year??? NOBODY, Cal is the man for the job and he will be getting his 3rd recruiting class next year and if anyone remembers his press conference when he was hired, he said that it will take four or five years to get this program where he wanted it... Now we're in year 2 and people are talking about getting rid of him, if that's the case, then get off of the Big Blue Ship,we don't need you...
Coach Cal isnt going anywhere and he shouldnt. Calipari is our man for the job.
there is no excuse for calapari not winning the national title last season. he was simply outcoached by bob huggins and besides the fact that he had 5 1st round draft picks. this season he has the most talented team in the Sec and cannot even win this weak conference. I am sorry but Calipari is not the correct man for the job.

losses are not suppose to happen when you are the Univeristy of Kentucky in basketball. I dont care if the coach is phil jackson there is simply nop excuse for cals short comings and not winning championship last year.

Cal should have next year and if he doesnt make a final four, cya bub no excuse for losing at UK it just doesnt happen
Mark Few Wink
Blackcat,
We don't agree on a lot but I definitely agree with you here.
I will be waiting patiently to see what Aslan and Zaga say about this.
Cal is the man. We're having a small downturn this year, but a lot of us were spoiled by last years team, plus the Kanter ruling hurt us badly. I am very glad we have cal, i'd take him over Tubby or BCG.
Half the people on here who post anything about Cal being a bad coach just think they know basketball more than he does and think they are going to be the next ESPN analyst. Cal isn't going anywhere and I don't want him to
king360 Wrote:Half the people on here who post anything about Cal being a bad coach just think they know basketball more than he does and think they are going to be the next ESPN analyst. Cal isn't going anywhere and I don't want him to

:rockon:
All or Nothing Wrote:Why would you even want anyone else? Losses happen.

Best post I've ever seen from a new user.

I've been saying the same all along though, BCA. I agree with the opinion that you don't have to like Cal if you like UK. I just don't see why you wouldn't. I don't care if I "didn't grow up in the early Cal years''. What do you older anti-Cal people have against him?
zaga_fan Wrote:Mark Few Wink

In all seriousness, when Tubby left, I was SCREAMING for them to go after Mark Few. I always wondered how amazing he could do with a school that throws money at him.
Ballers Wrote:Blackcat,
We don't agree on a lot but I definitely agree with you here.
I will be waiting patiently to see what Aslan and Zaga say about this.

I've criticized his coaching decisions (rightfully so), but I've never UK should get rid of him. He is the man for the job. With the way he handles the media, his ability to recruit the best players, and manage their ego's, he's almost the complete package. You gotta win at UK though. Big Blue Nation has almost no tolerance for losing. Winning 30+ games last year was awesome, but UK's season ending in the elite 8 was very disappointing, especially considering UK clearly had the best team. Defend Cal however you want, but there is no excuse for UK not to be crowned the National Champions last year. Unless UK turns it around this year, then it will be another disappointing season under Cal. Cals not going anywhere, and he shouldn't. But he's going to find out real quick if he don't win on the big stage soon, he will be on the hot seat. UK's standards are higher than everybody else.
Billy G!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's the man for the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait.....

Seriously, the Cal haters need to change colors or accept the fact that besides the ghost of Adolph Rupp, John Calipari is the best coach for the program.
Real Badman Wrote:Billy G!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait.....

Seriously, the Cal haters need to change colors or accept the fact that besides the ghost of Adolph Rupp, John Calipari is the best coach for the program.
Do you think UK fans have to like the coach we have, just to be fans?
TheRealVille Wrote:Do you think UK fans have to like the coach we have, just to be fans?

Nope... I don't like fair-weathered fans.

I'm not accusing you of one though TRV. Wink
mattycakes1 Wrote:there is no excuse for calapari not winning the national title last season. he was simply outcoached by bob huggins and besides the fact that he had 5 1st round draft picks. this season he has the most talented team in the Sec and cannot even win this weak conference. I am sorry but Calipari is not the correct man for the job.

losses are not suppose to happen when you are the Univeristy of Kentucky in basketball. I dont care if the coach is phil jackson there is simply nop excuse for cals short comings and not winning championship last year.

Cal should have next year and if he doesnt make a final four, cya bub no excuse for losing at UK it just doesnt happen

Yes there is an excuse, The other team out played you. Just because u lose a game doesnt mean your out coached. It means you was out played, out hustled, the other team wanted it more. You guys are talking about getting rid of someone for not winning a title? How long did it take Ricky P to win one? 7-8 years? Tubby won one with rick's team but then stayed 8-9 years after not winning nothing else?

Cal isnt going anywhere,
Aslan Wrote:I've criticized his coaching decisions (rightfully so), but I've never UK should get rid of him. He is the man for the job. With the way he handles the media, his ability to recruit the best players, and manage their ego's, he's almost the complete package. You gotta win at UK though. Big Blue Nation has almost no tolerance for losing. Winning 30+ games last year was awesome, but UK's season ending in the elite 8 was very disappointing, especially considering UK clearly had the best team. Defend Cal however you want, but there is no excuse for UK not to be crowned the National Champions last year. Unless UK turns it around this year, then it will be another disappointing season under Cal. Cals not going anywhere, and he shouldn't. But he's going to find out real quick if he don't win on the big stage soon, he will be on the hot seat. UK's standards are higher than everybody else.

TheRealVille Wrote:Do you think UK fans have to like the coach we have, just to be fans?

Amen and Amen!

This thread was meant to bate fans like us in to an un-patriotic debate. No one has ever said that they wanted Cal to be replaced. When his time runs out, all who both like him and dislike him will be able to evaluate his tenure and decide what legacy he has left.

This kind of thread could just as easily be about the President. "If not Obama, then who?" Well it doesn't make any difference, right now Obama is the president, I don't like his principles and what he stands for, but that's my prerogative. Just as it is for those who support him and his policy.

No one is saying that Coach Cal should go - get it guys - NO ONE! But does the "Teflon Don" walk on water without criticism - No! Those who will worship him blindly and see nothing wrong, so be it. I think those who have criticized him have ALWAYS showed support for the program and have NEVER called for him to be let go. So this it really a senseless debate, which I for one am not debating!
:yawn:
Real Badman Wrote:Billy G!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait.....

Bull! I no more have to turn in my colors than those who HATED Billy Clyde now do I! I don't like Cal, but I grew my "hatred" for him before he ever came to UK. So, if I hated him as a coach, not a person, but as a coach before he came to UK, why should I now suck on his teet because he wear MY teams colors! Wouldn't that be a suck-up or insincere fan?
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Nope... I don't like fair-weathered fans.

I'm not accusing you of one though TRV. Wink

So is a fair weathered fan someone who has rooted for UK their entire life, hated the guy who used to sit on the bench opposite of MY team, and now all of a sudden I have to accept the guy I never liked just because he coaches the team I root for? Is that fair-weathered or is that a bandwagon fan? Tell me who is more faithful!