Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 70 Menifee County 47
Final. Nick Zambos scored 4 points.
18fan Wrote:Final. Nick Zambos scored 4 points.

:Thumbs::Cheerlead:flame::devilflam:Clap: That made looking certainly worthwhile. Nick is a hard a worker at anything he does.:Thumbs:
That is great, what being a team is all about , congratulations to Nick and his Russell teammates. Great memories!!!
What's the story on Nick?
Then Nick got carried off the court. Memory of a lifetime
He is a student that loved basketball and was there at every Russell basketball game and he has down syndrome. Tonight was senior night and they let him and the seniors play. It was awesome to see Nick score.
18fan Wrote:He is a student that loved basketball and was there at every Russell basketball game and he has down syndrome. Tonight was senior night and they let him and the seniors play. It was awesome to see Nick score.

Cool story!!! Any links about Nick?
Nick fires one up!:Thumbs:
ASHLAND — Home stands rocked with awestruck, amped-up fans.

A bubbly student section chanted a fan favorite’s name.

And the P.A. announcer in Marvin Meredith Gymnasium prepared to make it clear that the much-anticipated moment had finally arrived.

But all of that was just the backdrop as the scene unveiled a local celebrity. The stage was, solely and simply, his.

“It seemed like there wasn’t anybody else out there,” said Russell sophomore basketball player Kyle Skaggs. “It was just Nick.”

Nick Zambos, who never backs down from a chance to compete, chalked up another shining moment in his remarkable journey on Saturday night as the team manager-turned-player turned into a star.

“We couldn’t have scripted it any better,” said Red Devils coach Merle Kidwell.

With four minutes left in a game against Menifee County on Senior Night, Kidwell called on Zambos to check in for the first time ever. Four minutes later, he was carried off the court by players and fans in jubilation.

Dr. Phil Zambos watched anxiously as he witnessed the culmination of his son’s career.

“He had been calling me every day for the last two weeks, saying, ‘Dad, I’m going to dress and hopefully play in the game (on Senior Night),” said Dr. Zambos. “He knew he was going to get a chance.”

Nick, the oldest of four siblings, has been a constant inspiration with his ability to rise above his label as a 19-year-old with Down syndrome, a chromosomal condition caused by the presence of three, rather than two, copies of the 21st chromosome, according to the National Down Syndrome Society website.

“I really believe that God puts people in your life that can teach you things,” Kidwell said, fighting tears. “Nick has taught our team about unselfishness and humility. Everybody on our team considers Nick a part of the team.”

Nick, who shoots left handed, drove to the basket for a lay-in, missed a couple looks at a 3-pointer, and then attempted his most difficult shot — a contested runner along the baseline as he faded out of bounds.

“He shot it from the corner from almost behind the basket!” exclaimed Nick’s father, who soaked in the moment from the second row.

Nick drained the shot, and while it may have surprised some, it just reaffirmed his teammates’ faith in Nick’s basketball ability.

“It was really no surprise to us,” said Grant McKenzie, one of four seniors including Nick. “He’s always playing games with us in practice, always challenging (6-foot-4) Justin Davidson to one-on-one.”

When asked if he usually beats Davidson, the 5-foot-6 Nick didn’t hesitate to answer.

“Yes,” said Nick, with his contagious grin and playful personality displayed. “He’s no problem.”

When Kidwell took over as head coach, replacing Steve Dodd, before the 2008-09 season, Nick had already served as team manager for one season. As team manager, Nick stays busy wheeling in and out the basketball rack, working the clock during practice and making sure players have towels and water.

Nick took it to heart when Russell lost, as he still does. He’ll even critique the team if he deems it necessary.

“He gets more upset with a loss than we are and he lets us know what we could’ve done better,” McKenzie said. “He’s really aware of his surroundings and our team.”

“Nick epitomizes what, as a coach, you want in every player,” Kidwell said. “All he cares about is what Russell does.”

Kidwell knew all Nick really wanted was an opportunity to play.

“We promised Nick when I first took the job that we’d get him in a game his senior year,” Kidwell said. “A lot of people said JV, but I just thought we’d get him in a varsity game.”

Nick of all trades

Zambos will be forever listed in that box score as Russell beat Menifee County, 70-47, on Saturday, Feb. 12. But it wasn’t the only time Zambos scored in a high school sporting event. The first one happened on another Senior Night.

Nick played alongside his younger brother, Andreas, a junior, on the soccer team this past fall. When given a free kick on Senior Night, Nick capitalized.

Nick’s favorite sport is basketball. When the post-game craziness dispelled on Saturday, Andreas sent out a mass message on Facebook expressing his emotional high after watching Nick score four points.

“He was so proud of his brother,” said Dr. Zambos, who presented another gift to Nick that night, capping an outstanding day.

Dr. Zambos was able to get a Senior Bowl football signed by West Virginia running back Noel Devine. He gave it to Nick, who is an avid Mountaineers fan.

Nick takes after his father in his golf game. He is a “really good putter,” according to his father. That’s quite a compliment from his dad, who was named one of America’s Top 100 golfer-doctors in Golf Digest in 2006.

Nick always also had a passion for playing football, but instability in his C1 and C2 vertebrae prevented him from participating in the physical sport.

Overcoming

health issues

Considering his celiac disease, which is a condition that damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents it from absorbing parts of food, and everyday Down syndrome hurdles, such as his limited cognitive skills and speech difficulty, Nick is exceptionally healthy.

Dr. Zambos recalls an incident when Nick was 4 or 5 as the scariest. Nick suffered from a duodenal web, which causes obstruction of the small intestine. While at a movie with some friends, he consumed some popcorn and began vomiting uncontrollably.

“We had to take him to the children’s hospital in Columbus and he had emergency surgery,” said Dr. Zambos. “He got through that fantastic.”

He’s got personality

Nick’s perseverance is about the only quality that can match his enduring personality.

“Nick’s one of the most carefree people I know,” McKenzie said. “Never sad, always happy.”

“Whenever I’m having a bad day, I just know I need to go and talk to Nick,” said Dr. Zambos. “He’s just a kind, loving person and he always has a good thing to say about everybody.”

Nick works at Kroger through a cooperative education program and has also been a four-year ROTC member.

“He’s a real asset to the community and he’s got aspirations,” Dr. Zambos said.

One of those aspirations is someday finding his soulmate and getting married.

“He’s looking forward to meeting someone special,” Dr. Zambos said. “He’s very popular. He always seems to go to dances with the prettiest ladies. He is a good dancer.”

Lasting effect

He left girls, boys, women and men amazed on Saturday. His teammates knew he wouldn’t disappoint when he got on the court. Maybe that’s why they were so eager to jump out to a substantial lead on Menifee County, prompting Kidwell to make the substitution.

“I think that was the hardest anybody’s played all year to get him in in the fourth quarter,” said fellow senior Brandon Boyd.

“The whole game our team was like, we’ve got to get a lead to get Nick in the game,” said Kidwell. “It worked out well and Menifee County showed great sportsmanship.”

Menifee County’s coach Tim Swartz was reminded of a similar story that reached the national news, in 2006, of an autistic basketball player Jason McElwain. The senior hit six 3-pointers for Greece Athena, in New York, en route to 20 points. He was also carried off the court.

“That’s the first thing that came to my mind,” Swartz said.

When Nick scored his first two points, the place erupted with joy.

“It sounded like a million people were here,” said senior Zach Bailey. “It was the best scenery I’ve seen all year.”

Kidwell had never heard Russell’s home gym louder when Nick scored, and never heard it more silent when Nick stepped up to the foul line for two technical free throws. Each went in and out.

When the game ended, the team signed a game ball and handed it to Nick.

Skaggs will forever remember the night he notched his 1,000th point, not only for that achievement but because he shares the milestone with Nick’s moment.

“It was really special,” Skaggs said. “It just made it even better when Nick got out there and scored.”

The whole experience for Nick?

“It was awesome, actually,” said Nick, sporting his never-failing smile.