Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 71 - Letcher County Central 49
2/11/2011

Harlan Co. 71
Letcher Co. Central 49

Letcher Co. Central 20 6 8 15 49
Harlan Co. 16 13 14 28 71

Letcher Co. Central (14-10) -- Gregory 2, Roark 11, Johnson 14, Stewart 18, Neace 3, Hall 1.

Harlan Co. (18-7) -- Chitwood 4, Sargent 13, Brewer 31, Bond 2, Massingill 11, Calton 8, Boggs 2.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...z1Dhe42ZXS
Congrats HC!
Congrats Black Bears!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Well I was told we walked the ball up the floor again, down 9 and holding the ball for the last shot of the quarter at the end of the 3rd, I do not understand why we dont push the ball, my god if your getting beat, and things arent going your way, change what your doing and try something else!!!! congrats Harlan!!!
Big win for Harlan Co. over Letcher. Harlan Co. is young, but could be a dangerous team in the 13th.
LCC FAN Wrote:Well I was told we walked the ball up the floor again, down 9 and holding the ball for the last shot of the quarter at the end of the 3rd, I do not understand why we dont push the ball, my god if your getting beat, and things arent going your way, change what your doing and try something else!!!! congrats Harlan!!!

Thanks LCC fan!

You are correct about holding the ball. LCC did that a lot.

During warm up, LCC had 3 kids that were doing 360 degree dunks, reverse dunks, you name it. When the game opened up, the first score was from LCC with a lonnnng 3. I thought we were gonners. BUT, LCC started slowing down the pace, and it really effected the game. I'm no coach, but I thought the slower pace was bad for LCC.

A few times after HC scored, LCC would come down the floor blazing. Every single time, they were told from the bench to pull out and set up. I don't think LCC scored one time from a fast break.

The final score really doesn't indicate the type of game it was. HC didn't dominate until the second half. I think it took that young team THAT long to believe they could actually play with LCC.

LCC was very impressive, and intimidating at first. But the steam was taken out of them. That team could go far with a few adjustments.

Just MO.
Granny Bear Wrote:Thanks LCC fan!

You are correct about holding the ball. LCC did that a lot.

During warm up, LCC had 3 kids that were doing 360 degree dunks, reverse dunks, you name it. When the game opened up, the first score was from LCC with a lonnnng 3. I thought we were gonners. BUT, LCC started slowing down the pace, and it really effected the game. I'm no coach, but I thought the slower pace was bad for LCC.

A few times after HC scored, LCC would come down the floor blazing. Every single time, they were told from the bench to pull out and set up. I don't think LCC scored one time from a fast break.

The final score really doesn't indicate the type of game it was. HC didn't dominate until the second half. I think it took that young team THAT long to believe they could actually play with LCC.

LCC was very impressive, and intimidating at first. But the steam was taken out of them. That team could go far with a few adjustments.

Just MO.

Well we might have still lost this game by trying to run the ball, but in the second half we were getting beat any way, in my opinion if your offense is not working, do something to make things happen (like press) speed the game up! I hope no one from Harlan takes this the wrong way because you all have a good team, But when LCC slows down we allow teams that aren't near as good as we are to either beat us or, their right with us at the end with a chance to win, it just blows my mind!!!!!!!!!!!
LCC FAN Wrote:Well I was told we walked the ball up the floor again, down 9 and holding the ball for the last shot of the quarter at the end of the 3rd, I do not understand why we dont push the ball, my god if your getting beat, and things arent going your way, change what your doing and try something else!!!! congrats Harlan!!!

I agree, we have got to get more points on the fast break. We have the talent to push the ball and could be a lot better in a transitional game. In a half court set our point guard is limited with his shooting ability, Ballou ( who also has limited outside shooting) and Johnson can not show their atheletic ability. Stewart can run the floor as good as anyone his size. We played right into coach Jones plan last night and payed the price. I think that we have a freshman Cody Sexton that could become an explosive point guard he has a good range jumper, very atheletic and can finish on the break but has not been worked with at the point spot this year.
cherokee Wrote:I agree, we have got to get more points on the fast break. We have the talent to push the ball and could be a lot better in a transitional game. In a half court set our point guard is limited with his shooting ability, Ballou ( who also has limited outside shooting) and Johnson can not show their atheletic ability. Stewart can run the floor as good as anyone his size. We played right into coach Jones plan last night and payed the price. I think that we have a freshman Cody Sexton that could become an explosive point guard he has a good range jumper, very atheletic and can finish on the break but has not been worked with at the point spot this year.

Well me personally I hate to see a team play slow ball, I have seen times when we could have scored if they would have gotten the ball up the floor, but they wont throw it, I agree with all of the above posts we need to get the ball and go, if its not there then set it up, seems like the intensity picks up when we press and run the ball, and we do much better.......take the leash off coach and let the cougars run!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats to the Black Bears!
Don't they rematch Buckhorn soon?
zaga_fan Wrote:Congrats to the Black Bears!
Don't they rematch Buckhorn soon?

Nope. They played Twice this year.

Dec. 10th Buckhorn 53-50

Feb. 8th Harlan County 58-49
Strikeout King Wrote:Nope. They played Twice this year.

Dec. 10th Buckhorn 53-50

Feb. 8th Harlan County 58-49

Looks like they already played lol
I knew it was soon....
didn't know it was last week though
Good Game Bears! What has happend to atheltics at LCC?
IMHO, I think the parents run the show at LCC. It doesn't matter if its football or golf or whatever they complain. The coach needs to do this or that. We could be better if we did this or that. The kids see and hear this all the time and it has an effect on the way they play. The coach isn't going to change the way he coaches right , wrong or indifferent. if you don't like it find a new coach (after the season is over) and don't ruin it for the kids with all the negative talk!
Gummie Bear Wrote:Good Game Bears! What has happend to atheltics at LCC?

Letcher has a good basketball team this year.
I don't understand what you're trying to get at.
BearClaws Wrote:IMHO, I think the parents run the show at LCC. It doesn't matter if its football or golf or whatever they complain. The coach needs to do this or that. We could be better if we did this or that. The kids see and hear this all the time and it has an effect on the way they play. The coach isn't going to change the way he coaches right , wrong or indifferent. if you don't like it find a new coach (after the season is over) and don't ruin it for the kids with all the negative talk!

Lol, That has to be the most ridiculous statement I have heard in a while, if your gonna speak about the parents at Lcc speak from facts, not your opinion, cause everyone has an opinion and you know what they say about opinions!!!!!! I know for a FACT that the parents have no say what so ever when it comes to the basketball program, and not one set of parents run the program, Hammond's is his own man he does things his own way, why do you think we are always in close games, and lost to your team by 20 some points??? I can guarantee one thing if the parents had a say or as you say "Run the show" we wouldn't have lost as many games as we have!!! I don't know about Harlan county, but In Letcher County we have standards we want to win and if we lose and its because of something stupid like holding the ball, then yes we get upset, we aren't gonna set around and say oh well we will win the next one, and one more thing when the kids don't understand why they cant win, when they have always been winners, how do you explain that to them, well ya don't cause they know the reason why and its not the parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I have been called ridiculous and many other names so I have thick skin.
Maybe you are correct and I am wrong. jmho
Let me first give a couple of reasons (some will say excuses) why LCC lost by 21 points to Harlan Co. The Cougars were coming off of their first ever win over Hazard (big win). LCC was ahead 20-16 at the end of the first quarter and then seemed to quit playing with the kind of effort they have been playing with lately. Harlan got a 7 or 8 point lead in the second half, and things seemed to snowball after that. With 2 1/2 minutes to go LCC was down about 15 and Hammonds cleared his bench. Jones did not until the last minute of the game. With the second string on the floor Coach Jones was still running a high pick-n-roll to get Brewer free to score. Brewer is a great player and had 31 points in the game. What was then a 15 point game became a 21 point win for the Bears. I think if they played again either team would be likely to win.

On a totally different not I want to compliment Harlan County on what a beautiful facility you have. Your school and gym is unequaled anywhere in the state that I have seen! :Thumbs:
Mike Jones has this to say about his win.

"A lot people now mad cuz I'm hot
But they gone be even madder when that jag leave the lot
I stay grindin so I can stay ballin
Cuz Lord knows I can't picture me fallin
I'm crawlin
Candy paint on fours
Doggin all these hos
You handlin the road in my wide body load
I'm a baller shot caller 20 inch crawler
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up
My album Who is Mike Jones comin soon
My album Who is Mike Jones comin soon"
:thatsfunn What?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
High Sheriff Wrote:Let me first give a couple of reasons (some will say excuses) why LCC lost by 21 points to Harlan Co. The Cougars were coming off of their first ever win over Hazard (big win). LCC was ahead 20-16 at the end of the first quarter and then seemed to quit playing with the kind of effort they have been playing with lately. Harlan got a 7 or 8 point lead in the second half, and things seemed to snowball after that. With 2 1/2 minutes to go LCC was down about 15 and Hammonds cleared his bench. Jones did not until the last minute of the game. With the second string on the floor Coach Jones was still running a high pick-n-roll to get Brewer free to score. Brewer is a great player and had 31 points in the game. What was then a 15 point game became a 21 point win for the Bears. I think if they played again either team would be likely to win.

On a totally different not I want to compliment Harlan County on what a beautiful facility you have. Your school and gym is unequaled anywhere in the state that I have seen! :Thumbs:

I will agree, they were coming off a big win over Hazard, but you have to be ready to play every time the ball is thrown up, no excuses!!!! In my book Jones did nothing wrong leaving his guys in, if they can beat us by 1 or 100, why not, you have to show no mercy, and I think sometimes we don't have that Killer instinct, I think we will get it though, I sure hope so, keep working hard boys!!!!!!!
Let's see the facts. LCC is 17-10. 2nd in wins in the region. 10-3 against regional foes. Tied with Hazard for most. 5-1 in the 53rd district for the #1 seed with Knott Co. Lost 5 games by 5 points or less. Young club that has largely been directed by a sophomore with no varsity experience coming into the year. Whether you like Hammonds' coaching style or not, personality or not, these are results anyone would have taken this year. Either support LCC and the team or at least keep the negatives out of the air until the season ends. Then pick a new team or school to analyze critically in the open airwaves.
I haven't agreed with everything with Hammonds and don't expect everyone else to either but you can't dispute the results over the course of the entire season. This is a program in the making jump on or jump off. I elect to stay on.
cougarpride08 Wrote::thatsfunn What?

Direct quote from Mike Jones...
UKisN1 Wrote:Let's see the facts. LCC is 17-10. 2nd in wins in the region. 10-3 against regional foes. Tied with Hazard for most. 5-1 in the 53rd district for the #1 seed with Knott Co. Lost 5 games by 5 points or less. Young club that has largely been directed by a sophomore with no varsity experience coming into the year. Whether you like Hammonds' coaching style or not, personality or not, these are results anyone would have taken this year. Either support LCC and the team or at least keep the negatives out of the air until the season ends. Then pick a new team or school to analyze critically in the open airwaves.
I haven't agreed with everything with Hammonds and don't expect everyone else to either but you can't dispute the results over the course of the entire season. This is a program in the making jump on or jump off. I elect to stay on.

And that my friends comes from the team stat man!!! I am not meaning to be negitive, but you have to play a style thats good for the players you have !!!!!
Understand..but I have been a part of this program from its inception and I only want what is best for all involved. I am not totally biased, but as a former coach I know what being said everywhere affects the total program.

Harlan Co by the way picks up another win over Corbin.

Good luck to them the rest of the year!
LCC FAN,
The "Team Stat Man" happens to be one heck of a coach and understands the game of basketball more than you most likely do. He's correct in saying that a 17-10 season at this point is way more than most people expected this year. We have only one senior on the team and most people expected next year to be the year that LCC started showing what we all expect from the program. Sure we would have loved to have won some of those close games that we have played this year but sometimes it just doesn't happen, remember we are talking about kids and they are never predictable, just ask Coach Cal because his Cats have lost a few of those close games that we would have liked to have won. If your an LCC supporter jump on board and let these boys and "Coaches" know that we are behind them, who knows we may find ourselves in the finals of the region with a few breaks and then let's see how fast some of these negative posters jump back on the band-wagon. Coach/Stat-Man we appreciate all that you do for the team and fans, you keep us updated with the team when we can't be out at the games and your a true friend of the program because God knows that your not doing it for any other reason than the love of the game and the kids of Letcher County.
UKisN1, I think you are exactly correct. I hope LCC has a good run in the post season.