Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morgan Co. Basketball
HD28 Wrote:Saw them last night...shew! That team could get beat by 60 every night if coaches wanted to. As far as the PG goes, he looked to be a nice 7th grader, but thats what he is...a 7th grader and in no way is ready for high school basketball. In his defense, unless your name is Mayo, very few are. Saw Perry call two TO's last night...spent the entire timeout coaching his son both times.

HD28 i watched some the game last night, I went just to see him play and I'm going to disagree with you, i thought he is a amazing 7th grader...How many other 7th or 8th graders could handle Rowan's pressure. I remember 2 turnovers and 1 wasn't his fault. If you know anything about the game of basketball you could see that he is out there to bring the ball up the court and he done a **** of a job.

I believe one of the timeout's you are talking about was keeping the team from turning it over.
Amoeba Wrote:HD28 i watched some the game last night, I went just to see him play and I'm going to disagree with you, i thought he is a amazing 7th grader...How many other 7th or 8th graders could handle Rowan's pressure. I remember 2 turnovers and 1 wasn't his fault. If you know anything about the game of basketball you could see that he is out there to bring the ball up the court and he done a **** of a job.

I believe one of the timeout's you are talking about was keeping the team from turning it over.
I have to agree with HD, he is a 7th grader, and really not ready for Varsity. Rowan could have turned him over more, i was actually unable to start an offense when they got it about half court. I find it hard to beleive that he is the best kid for that position at this point. He will struggle for the next two years until he is actually strong enough to play Varsity. He did not even score until he got a call from the refs on a 3 that was questionable. IMO needs to be playing middle school and Freshman BB.
Colonels87 Wrote:I have to agree with HD, he is a 7th grader, and really not ready for Varsity. Rowan could have turned him over more, i was actually unable to start an offense when they got it about half court. I find it hard to beleive that he is the best kid for that position at this point. He will struggle for the next two years until he is actually strong enough to play Varsity. He did not even score until he got a call from the refs on a 3 that was questionable. IMO needs to be playing middle school and Freshman BB.

If Rowan could have tuned him over more they would have, you think Coach Thacker said guys he is in the 7th grade take it easy on him, I don't think so... It was because they couldn't that was a unfair statement.

Whenever I look at the box scores he is always the leading scorer and folks i talked too they say he never turns the ball over and is doing a awesome job. He is the point guard because they have no one that can dribble.
Impartial observer here, but if the talent pool is as shallow as has been described on this thread,maybe the coach playing the 7th grade son is a good thing. You've got to build from scratch when you've only got two wins, and traditionally coaches sons turn out to be the leaders of any team they are on. This is because it is a tremendous advantage to tuck your point guard into bed every night,much more coaching time. If he is pretty good for an 7th grader and they get two wins, maybe this season will mature him enough to lead them to 10 wins next year,maybe 15 the next.Just remember its a package deal ,though. If you don't want the coach, you can't have the player. If the player isn't going to be the top player on the team,you will probably lose the coach. Best of luck anyway.
Amoeba Wrote:HD28 i watched some the game last night, I went just to see him play and I'm going to disagree with you, i thought he is a amazing 7th grader...How many other 7th or 8th graders could handle Rowan's pressure. I remember 2 turnovers and 1 wasn't his fault. If you know anything about the game of basketball you could see that he is out there to bring the ball up the court and he done a **** of a job.

Well then you're obviously drinking the MC Kool Aid if you think he is anything more than a nice 7th grade player. RC could hav embarassed that kid had they gotten after him. They didn't press after the first 3 min. And I can show you some other 7th graders in this area that are very comparable to Perry. he will be a nice player, especially if he grows, but he's not by anyy stretch ready for HS basketball.
HD28 Wrote:Well then you're obviously drinking the MC Kool Aid if you think he is anything more than a nice 7th grade player. RC could hav embarassed that kid had they gotten after him. They didn't press after the first 3 min. And I can show you some other 7th graders in this area that are very comparable to Perry. he will be a nice player, especially if he grows, but he's not by anyy stretch ready for HS basketball.

Well I would love for you to name 1 kid in the area. I thought he done very well considering what he has around him, from what I seen Perry has no other choice, I recall the senior dribbling down on fastbreak and dribbled it of his knee.

As a former Morgan County player i am hearing that Morgan will be back to the top, it is coming.
Amoeba......why so defensive? Why are you bringing another person into this? I will answer your question and defend my statements. I met Chris at an athletic conference through a mutal friend. I heard him talk about coaching and understand his passion to coach and work with young people. He mentioned in the conversation that he was looking at the job. I saw the post and thought I would put his name out there. Didn't know that it would become an issue in a thread in the future. If you will look at my previous post, I said that the MC coach is a good coach, but IN MY OPIONION, he should concentrate on his high school program. I gave some statictics that I thought backed up my theory. Sorry for touching a nerve man! Please PM me when you decide to name others on this thread.
Amoeba Wrote:Well I would love for you to name 1 kid in the area. I thought he done very well considering what he has around him, from what I seen Perry has no other choice, I recall the senior dribbling down on fastbreak and dribbled it of his knee.

As a former Morgan County player i am hearing that Morgan will be back to the top, it is coming.

I can name 4 other 7th graders in this area right now that are every bit as good as him and would definitely be getting varsity time for Morgan County this year.
There is nothing wrong with coach perry coaching middle school basketball. By doing this the kids knows his system and philosophy. Blackwater, you really need to stop questioning and judging coach perry's devotion to the high school team. FYI he spends the same amount of time with them as he always did. The man is at the gym until 9 oclock practicing high school, middle school and now junior pro kids. Your posts about him are very unknowledgeable and judgmental
LClion4life Wrote:I can name 4 other 7th graders in this area right now that are every bit as good as him and would definitely be getting varsity time for Morgan County this year.

Name and school, let's hear them!!!
Just read that Perry leading scorer for Morgan tonight again. Well then I Can't wait untill he is ready for Varsity. :Thumbs:
Amoeba Wrote:Just read that Perry leading scorer for Morgan tonight again. Well then I Can't wait untill he is ready for Varsity. :Thumbs:

Kinda like being the tallest midget in the circus isn't it? I mean, somebody has to be the leading scorer....
HD28 Wrote:Well then you're obviously drinking the MC Kool Aid if you think he is anything more than a nice 7th grade player. RC could hav embarassed that kid had they gotten after him. They didn't press after the first 3 min. And I can show you some other 7th graders in this area that are very comparable to Perry. he will be a nice player, especially if he grows, but he's not by anyy stretch ready for HS basketball.

Well, from a completely unbiased observer who has no ties to MC what so ever (live no where close to the area and know no one in the area) I have to say that if the 7th grade kid isn't ready for varsity, then no one on the team is as he was the best player they had on the floor when I saw them play West Carter. Now, thats not saying that if circumstances were different he might be better served playing freshman and/or jv ball, but I can't answer that question. But right now, from the team I saw play that night, he is the best they have. They also had a kid that was a decent shooter and hit a couple of 3 pointers. Beyond that, it was a struggle.

You also have to realize, when it comes to pressure, one player can't handle it all on his own. If he has no one else to help and the defense can concentrate on him, it makes it super difficult no matter who or how old you are. Ther press breaking scheme I saw them try to run may have left a little to be desired as well as it kept putting the young man in a bad spot.

Also, there might be a few 7th graders out there in your area that have as much talent as this young man, but the question is could they perform on the court against varsity level talent without much of a supporting cast? Most 7th graders the answer would be a big NO, they would be overwhelmed and would not perform. I mean, this kid took it to the hole against much bigger, older post players and scored. He also was able to shake his man, who again was much older and bigger, and hit some jumpers. The kid has some skill along with composure and a good head for the game, from what little I have seen.
BigVMan23 Wrote:Well, from a completely unbiased observer who has no ties to MC what so ever (live no where close to the area and know no one in the area) I have to say that if the 7th grade kid isn't ready for varsity, then no one on the team is as he was the best player they had on the floor when I saw them play West Carter. Now, thats not saying that if circumstances were different he might be better served playing freshman and/or jv ball, but I can't answer that question. But right now, from the team I saw play that night, he is the best they have. They also had a kid that was a decent shooter and hit a couple of 3 pointers. Beyond that, it was a struggle.

You also have to realize, when it comes to pressure, one player can't handle it all on his own. If he has no one else to help and the defense can concentrate on him, it makes it super difficult no matter who or how old you are. Ther press breaking scheme I saw them try to run may have left a little to be desired as well as it kept putting the young man in a bad spot.

Also, there might be a few 7th graders out there in your area that have as much talent as this young man, but the question is could they perform on the court against varsity level talent without much of a supporting cast? Most 7th graders the answer would be a big NO, they would be overwhelmed and would not perform. I mean, this kid took it to the hole against much bigger, older post players and scored. He also was able to shake his man, who again was much older and bigger, and hit some jumpers. The kid has some skill along with composure and a good head for the game, from what little I have seen.

First bolded statement...True. That's why they're 2-20.

Second bolded statement...could prolly get the same amount done as him, but they're not ready for HS basketball, and therefore, they're not playing.

Third bolded statement...True. He is a very good 7th grader.
Nobody is denying that. But to say he did this or that against "older" players is kind of a cop out. He's playing High School ball against high school age players; and that's the whole point. He isn't ready for high school basketball, and again, not many 12-13 year old kids are. OJ Mayo, different story. he was ready for HS basketball in the 7th grade. He played and excelled against "older" (HS age) competiton.
Jake Parker and Trenton Walker, Lewis County. And the two twins from Elliott are just as good as him.
LClion4life Wrote:Jake Parker and Trenton Walker, Lewis County. And the two twins from Elliott are just as good as him.

Don't know about your boy's from LC, I haven't seen them play, but the twins are not as skilled as him.
Perry beat Elliott in a 6th grade tourny last year he had 23 of Morgan's 28 i think.
HD28 Wrote:Kinda like being the tallest midget in the circus isn't it? I mean, somebody has to be the leading scorer....

Circus? That kinda like the clown sleeping with his midgets....
i know this 7th grader, my son worked out with him a couple years ago. his dad is the best fundemental coach i've ever witnessed. at that time he could do things with 2 basketballs that most kids can barely do with 1. his work ethics are out of this world, something like 2 hours of fundementals every day, and coach don't have to make him do it. he'll be big time if heart has anything to do with it. my son plays in a neighbor county, i have nothing to gain by this, but i know jordan, great kid with good work ethics, tons of talent!!!
Jingle bells.....there are more negative post on here than mine. Say someting to them. Why do I get the hate? I said he was a good coach. Why the hate toward me? I'm not going to argue with someone on a social web site. However, look at the record the last several years; statistics are not judgemental. The thread has switched from talking about Morgan County basketball to his son. I have never seen him play and I haven't said a word that is judgemental about his son. PM me if you have a problem with me. Who are you trying to impress with and audiance?
Amoeba Wrote:If Rowan could have tuned him over more they would have, you think Coach Thacker said guys he is in the 7th grade take it easy on him, I don't think so... It was because they couldn't that was a unfair statement.

Whenever I look at the box scores he is always the leading scorer and folks i talked too they say he never turns the ball over and is doing a awesome job. He is the point guard because they have no one that can dribble.
The fact of the matter is that Thacker only played Townsend and Cross about 15 minutes each, do you not think those two would have turned him over more had they played longer. Thacker did him and that team a favor.
coach perry, hang in there, i know no one else as dedicated as you.:rockon:: i'm sure if they don't want you there's plenty who will take you and your point guard.:Thumbs::Thumbs: jordan keep your head up, this, unfortunately is part of your conditioning in the varsity level, don't let em bother you.:rockon: i've been around ball all my life, your dad's an amazing coach and your an amazing player. keep up the hard work and look negative people.:1::rockon::Cheerlead:Thumbs:
HD28,

How is me saying he is performing against older players a "cop out"? Heck, I know jr and sr players on varsity teams who play and are not as effective as this young man was the night I saw him. So personally, I think it speaks even more highly of him in the fact that he is MORE EFFECTIVE on the court than players 4 and 5 years his senior. I don't see how that can be viewed as a "cop out".

And the OJ Mayo comparision is not applicable in my opinion. The Perry kid is competitive against varsity competition and seems to hold his own. Mayo was a once in a lifetime player for almost any coach who was BETTER than most of the competition he played against as a 7th grader. A basketball freak of nature if you will. To use him as a comparision to almost anyone, regardless of age, is unfair, but especially unfair at that young of an age.
It's a cop out because he's not playing against older players, technically speaking...he's playing high school basketball against high school age players. It's a ready made excuse for a player when he doesn't perform or gets physically dominated. Again, he is talented; but he is a talented 7th grader. He is not a special talent on the high school level. He may get there, but he isn't there yet, IMO.

The MC kid "holds his own" many nights after the other team has pulled their starters and called off the press. I have a hard time believing that there is not another kid they could put at the PG position and go 2-23 or whatever they are. Bottom line, IMO, is he is not ready to play at the HS level.
Amoeba Wrote:Don't know about your boy's from LC, I haven't seen them play, but the twins are not as skilled as him.
Perry beat Elliott in a 6th grade tourny last year he had 23 of Morgan's 28 i think.

The Baker kid from Boyd (not sure of his first name) he is AL Baker's son. He is stronger, faster, can handle the ball and pass the ball as well. Perry is a better outside shooter, but Baker can get to the rack a lot better than Perry.