Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regional food favorites that need to move to Kentucky
What foods do you like that are common in only one part of the United States but are so good that everybody should have a chance to taste at least once?

My nominations are:

1. Shrimp and grits - This combination is popular along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. If you like grits, cheese, and shrimp, then you will love this dish. Even if you think that you don't like grits, you might love this combination.

2. Comeback Sauce (or dressing) - This sauce was first concocted in a restaurant in Jackson, Mississippi back in the 1930s or 1940s. It is now popular throughout Mississippi and almost any decent restaurant in the state serves it. "Comeback and crackers" is an item on the Appetizer menu of many of Jackson's best restaurants. It is that good.

I have eaten Comeback sauce on salads, onion rings, fried dill pickles, fried catfish, and club crackers. If your food is fried or comes from the sea, it will taste better with Comeback sauce. As good as this sauce/dressing is, I have never seen it on a menu outside of Mississippi. You can buy this stuff in a bottle but the brands that I have tried are not as good as the freshly made versions.

Zaxby's, Raising Cane's, Abner's, and some other chicken chains serve versions of the sauce for dipping chicken fingers, but it is also not quite as good as the fresh stuff, IMO.

What are some foods that you have tried elsewhere and would like to see on Kentucky menus?
^ Legal Seafood Clam Chowder (Boston area)
Kentucky, in general, desperately needs better BBQ. I know that is a very broad response, but in my life I have traveled throughout the state and on the whole been very disappointed in the BBQ choices in comparison to the Deep South, Memphis, and North Carolina.

I wish I could send "The Shed" from Ocean Springs, MS to Kentucky so folks back there can enjoy true BBQ goodness. I have ate at some of the best BBQ joints in the Southeast and The Shed still reigns supreme.[Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SYIwwsvNixM/S8...s+food.jpg][Image: http://southernbite.com/wp-content/uploa...8/shed.jpg]
True Chicago Deep-Dish pizza.
LWC Wrote:True Chicago Deep-Dish pizza.

Goodness yes.... but I am mad at you for putting the thought in my head.

Giordano's deep dish pepperoni...yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe it is me, but there is no comparison between Chicago Style (deep dish) and New York style (thin crust) pizza. Chicago style is in another stratosphere to me[Image: http://media.tulsafood.com/wp-content/up...-pizza.jpg].
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Kentucky, in general, desperately needs better BBQ. I know that is a very broad response, but in my life I have traveled throughout the state and on the whole been very disappointed in the BBQ choices in comparison to the Deep South, Memphis, and North Carolina.

I wish I could send "The Shed" from Ocean Springs, MS to Kentucky so folks back there can enjoy true BBQ goodness. I have ate at some of the best BBQ joints in the Southeast and The Shed still reigns supreme.
I have never tried "The Shed" but the Hickory Pit in Jackson is very good. The best BBQ that I have had was probably at Interstate in Memphis. You are right about the quality of BBQ in Kentucky - it is lacking.

Have you ever tried the barbecue in Lexington, NC? I have never made it there myself but I hear that it is the place to find the best Carolina style barbecue.

I have only tried a couple of the DC area barbecue places and it just does not compare to what I could get in Jackson. If you want really good BBQ north of Tennessee you pretty much have to make it yourself.
LWC Wrote:True Chicago Deep-Dish pizza.

I Love Uno's Chicago Grill!! They have the best Deep Dish Pizza ever!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have never tried "The Shed" but the Hickory Pit in Jackson is very good. The best BBQ that I have had was probably at Interstate in Memphis. You are right about the quality of BBQ in Kentucky - it is lacking.

Have you ever tried the barbecue in Lexington, NC? I have never made it there myself but I hear that it is the place to find the best Carolina style barbecue.

I have only tried a couple of the DC area barbecue places and it just does not compare to what I could get in Jackson. If you want really good BBQ north of Tennessee you pretty much have to make it yourself.

Most of my family live in Thomasville,,, 15 minutes North of Lexington. I have had the best Lexington has to offer. I am not a big vinegar based fan, but if you are going to try that style then Lexington is where you want to get it from.
Old Chicago is sooooooo good.
We need a Primanti Brothers in Pikeville! Id go watch Steelers games there!!! LOL!!!
Philadelphia style Philly cheese steak subs.
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
crazytaxidriver Wrote:Philadelphia style Philly cheese steak subs.

Prestonsburg lost its one and only cheese steak sub restaurants (Charley's) last week.

RIP Charley's!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Prestonsburg lost its one and only cheese steak sub restaurants (Charley's) last week.

RIP Charley's!

I didn't even know they had one. I wished someone had told me.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Prestonsburg lost its one and only cheese steak sub restaurants (Charley's) last week.

RIP Charley's!

What happened? Ate there, I thought just last week.
Charleys was ok but man they were so expensive.
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Lamb Fries!!!!......give 'em a chance people!...They are delish!

The only place I've ever had them is in Winchester....at "Hall's on the River"...but I hear they are a popular dish out west!

[Image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yOGTNckkXK0/TB...bfries.jpg]
[Image: http://hallsontheriver.beercheese.com/im..._Small.jpg]

OH YEAH!!!...FYI...Lamb Fries = Sheep Balls!
^ I was reading on everyones stuff, making me hungry (Pizza BBQ, Philly cheesesteak)..
I just lost my appetite..
^
Dangit BALLERS!!!...try them!...they are good!...and eat your veggies too!...lol
No way lol...

RIP Charley's!
Well if they lost it I would like to know where it went because a girl came into work today with a cup from there.