Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hazard 2011
How good will Hazard be in 2011?
Pigskinman53 Wrote:How good will Hazard be in 2011?

If they come up with a good quarterback they will be back in Bowling Green again next year, Combs will be hard to replace
So they have alot of starters back on both sides of the ball?
QB will be really the only serious void they need. But if they have a decent qb then they will be back in BG because they have several athletes around to make up the difference.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:So they have alot of starters back on both sides of the ball?
Return like 8 or 9 starters on both sides of ball
Do they have their center returning?
Hazard returns 7 starters on defense and 6 starters on offense.

On defense they lose a DT, MLB, Corner and Saftey. The key loss in my opinion is MLB. They will probably move BJ Combs to MLB and will need to find another inside LB. The defense should be as good as last years with a lot of speed at several positions.

On offense they lose both tackles, center, QB and FB. Jon Combs had a phenominal senior season and for the Bulldogs to make a return trip to BG someone will need to step up at QB. The heir apparent seems to be Zack Blanton who started at HB the last 2 years and was the backup QB last season. Both tackles were 3 year varsity starters and Corey Slone was a 2 year starter at FB. The Bulldogs return a lot of skill and will be explosive as usual on offense.

The biggest loss for the Bulldogs is the senior leadership that these players provided. Next years senior class is very talented but will need to provide the leadership that Coach Dixon demands out of his seniors for the team to be successful.

Coach Dixon will continue to play a lot of kids and the schedule gets tougher and tougher every year. By seasons end the Bulldogs should be well prepared for another long playoff run.
Very informative post B & G...thanks. Good luck to the Bulldogs.
[quote=BlueGold1]Hazard returns 7 starters on defense and 6 starters on offense.

On defense they lose a DT, MLB, Corner and Saftey. The key loss in my opinion is MLB. They will probably move BJ Combs to MLB and will need to find another inside LB. The defense should be as good as last years with a lot of speed at several positions.

On offense they lose both tackles, center, QB and FB. Jon Combs had a phenominal senior season and for the Bulldogs to make a return trip to BG someone will need to step up at QB. The heir apparent seems to be Zack Blanton who started at HB the last 2 years and was the backup QB last season. Both tackles were 3 year varsity starters and Corey Slone was a 2 year starter at FB. The Bulldogs return a lot of skill and will be explosive as usual on offense.

The biggest loss for the Bulldogs is the senior leadership that these players provided. Next years senior class is very talented but will need to provide the leadership that Coach Dixon demands out of his seniors for the team to be successful.

Coach Dixon will continue to play a lot of kids and the schedule gets tougher and tougher every year. By seasons end the Bulldogs should be well prepared for another long playoff run.[/QUO They have a couple better options at QB next year,that will come clear this summer.With the addition of the Whitaker kid that transfered in,and Roll coming along,Dixon will be able to leave Blanton in the slot position.
Question is will they see Mayfield again. That was really good team.
False Hope Wrote:Question is will they see Mayfield again. That was really good team.

Its possible. But with the new realignment how is it going to play for hazard. Pikeville and Raceland are on the other side of the brackets and on hazard side you have Harlan,Pineville, Lynn Camp Williamsburg and Campbellsville. Hazard may not make it back but i believe they can. Mayfield may not make it back. But I believe Beechwood makes there next year but i may be wrong.

Anyone know hazards schedule or anything close to it?
what's there schedule look like?
From what i hear still looking for 1 more game for next year.

Clintwood Va
Open
Middlesboro
Somerset
Pburg
LCA
Harlan
Jenkins
Pineville
Sheldon Clark
^ i think they will go either 9-1, 8-2 or at least 7-3
I would like to see a team like Belfry, Whitley County, or a Louisville team. I also wouldnt mind to see Knox Central or Bell.
Hazard

Aug 26, 11 Clintwood, VA away

7:30 PM
Sep 9, 11 Somerset home

Sep 16, 11 Lexington Christian home

Sep 23, 11 Breathitt County away

Sep 30, 11 Prestonsburg away

Oct 7, 11 Harlan away

Oct 14, 11 Jenkins home

Oct 21, 11 Pineville home

Oct 28, 11 Sheldon Clark away

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=35103
Clintwood will be a early season test for the Bulldogs. Clintwood has had a tough team the past serveral years. They are coached very well a have tremendous fan support. They have played in and lost 2 state championships in recent years and lost in semi state last year in the "Snow Bowl" at Ralph Cummins stadium in Clintwood.
hazard's achilles heel or hill in this case is speed and replacing the qb. They were slow at most positions compared to the top couple of teams on the otherside of the 1A bracket. Those teams it appeas will be quick again. I was very unimpressed with the Hazard line last year that featured size but very slow and frankly their weight hurt them. They were so big they just couldnt move against a quicker athletic line. The impressive thing last year was that qb and he is the one who made them go and you don't just replace a kid of that caliber often if ever. They do return some top notch recievers who again are not the fastest but were physical and just pure athlets. My guess is that the Bulldogs will be fine if they find a qb who can get the ball to those recievers. I also think they return a pretty solid back. I think they would be one of the favorites to go to state again but I think Mayfield and Beechwood are going to be the favorites on the other side and overall. Bwood returns alot and Mayfield some but has better young talent than they normally have and alot of it so they may take early lumps but should be ready by the playoffs. My pick at this point to win it all is Bwood defeating Hazard for the title though I hope it is a Mayfield vs Hazard rematch. Good luck to Hazard
I don't really think Hazard lacked speed, I just don't think we matched up well with Mayfield's speed. If you asked the teams on the East side of the State, Hazard had pretty good speed. Mayfield may have had the most team speed in quite awhile for Class A last year. They were remarkably fast, especially at the skill positions.

I agree that the secret for the Bulldogs this season will be replacing the QB. He had a tremendous senior year and if Hazard can replace him, they very well could make a return trip to BG. Good Luck to all and hope to see you in BG!
Where is Combs going to play his college ball?
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Where is Combs going to play his college ball?

Jon will be signing with Union College on Monday, April 11th. Congratulations to Jon and good luck at Union College!
Congrats to jon combs he is signing with union college today. Jon really made us proud at hazard many good memories,jon worked really really hard and he is a great kid good luck jon !!!
I was just wondering why Hazard doesn't have a track team that is pushed like the rest of there sport? If there is any sport that would help football players be faster it is track.
Wrestling would also help the team as far as football players help them out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:hazard's achilles heel or hill in this case is speed and replacing the qb. They were slow at most positions compared to the top couple of teams on the otherside of the 1A bracket. Those teams it appeas will be quick again. I was very unimpressed with the Hazard line last year that featured size but very slow and frankly their weight hurt them. They were so big they just couldnt move against a quicker athletic line. The impressive thing last year was that qb and he is the one who made them go and you don't just replace a kid of that caliber often if ever. They do return some top notch recievers who again are not the fastest but were physical and just pure athlets. My guess is that the Bulldogs will be fine if they find a qb who can get the ball to those recievers. I also think they return a pretty solid back. I think they would be one of the favorites to go to state again but I think Mayfield and Beechwood are going to be the favorites on the other side and overall. Bwood returns alot and Mayfield some but has better young talent than they normally have and alot of it so they may take early lumps but should be ready by the playoffs. My pick at this point to win it all is Bwood defeating Hazard for the title though I hope it is a Mayfield vs Hazard rematch. Good luck to Hazard

Heard the Sizemore kid from Letcher Central was transferring to Hazard, Mike Whitaker's great qb recruit and nephew.
Don't know for sure, might tag that as a rumor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Congrats to Combs, he will have a nice college career
I wonder who the 10th game will be for Hazard? I would love to see a team like Bell County or Danville team. I would also possibly like to see an Northern Kentucky team on there.
bac2369 Wrote:I wonder who the 10th game will be for Hazard? I would love to see a team like Bell County or Danville team. I would also possibly like to see an Northern Kentucky team on there.

There won't be a 10th game. Schedule is set for next season, 9 games.
gUrU Wrote:Heard the Sizemore kid from Letcher Central was transferring to Hazard, Mike Whitaker's great qb recruit and nephew.
don't see this happening, but if this is true Hazard will be back in Bowling Green, watched this kid in middle school he has a cannon and is very accurate, with the recievers Hazard has coming back should be very good team. Will this kid be a sophomore or junior next year
Why?