•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Middlesboro job open?
The thing I keep hearing is Lutrell from Cawood. If this is true we can all see how serious the mboro bigwigs are about returning to the glory days of not being a cupcake. This job will be opened up quickly after season.
attacktheV Wrote:The thing I keep hearing is Lutrell from Cawood. If this is true we can all see how serious the mboro bigwigs are about returning to the glory days of not being a cupcake. This job will be opened up quickly after season.

I don't think he has a chance. They are not to serious about winning if that is who they get.
Don't know much about Luttrell. What is his prior record, and why would he not do well?
I've heard the same thing that has been mentioned and if that's the direction they go then you can put a fork in M'boro football. Its down and this would be like throwing dirt on top. :flush:
Are there other serious contenders for the job? What's the issue with Luttrell? Football scheme? Wins/losses? Experience? Just curious...what's his history?
Blue12, I don't know you but this is John Luttrell and I am not sure what you have against my coaching ability or leadership ability. However, I would like to know as well as know who you are. I will tell anyone up front that I am not a win at all cost person, I don't believe that is my primary purpose as a Head Coach. I do believe that making young men of character is a primary purpose, to teach them to do the right thing for the right reasons and live by core values. In my opinion, if you do this, winning and losing will take care of itself and you will be successful even if not on the scoreboard.
John Luttrell
Mountain Warrior Wrote:Blue12, I don't know you but this is John Luttrell and I am not sure what you have against my coaching ability or leadership ability. However, I would like to know as well as know who you are. I will tell anyone up front that I am not a win at all cost person, I don't believe that is my primary purpose as a Head Coach. I do believe that making young men of character is a primary purpose, to teach them to do the right thing for the right reasons and live by core values. In my opinion, if you do this, winning and losing will take care of itself and you will be successful even if not on the scoreboard.
John Luttrell

It sounds like to me that you have the right attitude and priorities to be the leader of young men. Good luck from Redhound country if you do indeed take on this job. :Thumbs:
Mountain Warrior Wrote:Blue12, I don't know you but this is John Luttrell and I am not sure what you have against my coaching ability or leadership ability. However, I would like to know as well as know who you are. I will tell anyone up front that I am not a win at all cost person, I don't believe that is my primary purpose as a Head Coach. I do believe that making young men of character is a primary purpose, to teach them to do the right thing for the right reasons and live by core values. In my opinion, if you do this, winning and losing will take care of itself and you will be successful even if not on the scoreboard.
John Luttrell

Sounds good but there will have to be some coaching in there as well. It will take more than that John, no offense program isn't what it used to be. I think that they will go with someone who hasn't been out of football for awhile. IMO
Seems the supt at M'boro is cutting costs anyway possible that would not be a good sign for a coach. I don't think they will have a teaching job avaliable for a new coach since they are cutting numerous jobs in the district.
You may be right but leading men in combat and coaching young men have much in common at the core. As for offense and defense, I feel confident in what my philosophy. I run multiple formations with a wing-t base and will now add the veer into the system, which I think will be great. It is something I always wanted to add put did not have the right players. However, these players are use to running the veer and Kenny even when the won the State ran a little wing-t. Defensively, it is all about pursuit and "want to". Bottom line, you can have the greatest playbook in the state but if you can't block and tackle, it is useless. Therefore, fundamentals are essential. So, I will say this that any team of mine will be fundamentally sound, well conditioned, and play hard on special teams.
Mountain Warrior Wrote:You may be right but leading men in combat and coaching young men have much in common at the core. As for offense and defense, I feel confident in what my philosophy. I run multiple formations with a wing-t base and will now add the veer into the system, which I think will be great. It is something I always wanted to add put did not have the right players. However, these players are use to running the veer and Kenny even when the won the State ran a little wing-t. Defensively, it is all about pursuit and "want to". Bottom line, you can have the greatest playbook in the state but if you can't block and tackle, it is useless. Therefore, fundamentals are essential. So, I will say this that any team of mine will be fundamentally sound, well conditioned, and play hard on special teams.

Sorry but don't think that you have a chance. Good luck to ya.
I am not qualified to analyze x's and o's and philosophy, but there is no way he can be ruled out from the information I've heard. The M'boro Principal lived and worked in Harlan County for many years, so I would think she might have MW on the radar. Also, if they are looking to save money, MW might fit if he is retired military and not in need of a teaching position.
Amped 88, no offense taken and you may be right. If so, I still believe God has a plan for me. Hey, I finally found out who you are, it baffled me. Anyway, I will keep the faith. Take care everyone
John Luttrell
Nothing aginst you personally, but we're talking about the need of a coach to not only dig the M'boro program out of the rut that it has been run into but then lead the program back to the level that it had in the past. Once again my issue is that IF this program is to even come close to what it once was we need to bring in a coach that has a track record of running a big program and a history of winning against quality competition. Maybe a simple example of where I'm coming from is look at UK. UK basketball would not hire a coach that wasn't proven as a winner in Division 1 basketball or maybe the NBA. If the administration went to the high school or NAIA for a coach, they would be run out of the state. But when it comes to UK football UK has not had very many coaches that came to UK with winning records and now we have one with no record at all. (Joker). Well when it comes to M'boro football its our UK basketball. The administrators allowed it in the recent past to become more like UK football. They have had several hires that had little to no winning records against quality competition or they had no real HC experience. And what has it got the program? Myself and others would like to see the football returned to the days when M'boro was respected. Its not today. We would like to see a return to the period when M'boro scheduled and beat schools from Knoxville, Louisville, Lexington, etc. Once again nothing personnel and your statements about treating the kids good and working them hard are great! But very few coaches in the SEKY area today can claim to have a trackrecord that would suggest they could get M'boro football back to respectibility. I hope you all the luck in the world, but when it comes to this hire I want to see the administration to hire the Coach Calipari not Coach Gillispie or Mumme. I'm not saying you are anything like either of the last two, I'm saying I want a proven winner with a record of playing at a higher level of competition than what is normally found in SEKY.

All that said, I honestly don't expect the administration to go get a top level coach with a proven record as we so dearly need. (But I can dream) I really expect they will hire someone that's not a budget buster and hope he runs a program that doesn't stir up problems for them irreguardless of wins. One statement you made was you wanted to know who I was? I'm the former player at M'boro who wants to see the Yellow Jackets win, not run from local teams, provide unity and pride in the community and receive respect from other top programs throughout the state. That's who I am. Wink
I don't think there is anything wrong with your expectations. Communities deserve the best they can get. I am not a Dale Mueller, Dudley Hilton, Mike Holcomb type with those credentials that is for sure. Again, like I said I will just say that I will teach these young men to better themselves, to learn core values such as selfless-service, honor, integrity, and courage. I believe producing young men of character and those things above make you a successful coach. I totally respect where you are coming from and as you are an Alumnus do not blame you or take offense at all. I only know that I can do what God gives me the strength to do and he has a plan for me as I have said. Again, I'll keep the faith and see where it goes. Take care and thanks.
John
Good for you coach Luttrell, keep the faith and perservere. Something good will come of it as long as your positive attitude remains the same. Keep fighting the good fight!
If I was a parent with a kid playing football, this is what I'd say.
I will teach my kids core values, integrity and all the other things that go along with being a parent and role model.
When he is playing football, I want him to be taught the game by the best possible.
fan first Wrote:If I was a parent with a kid playing football, this is what I'd say.
I will teach my kids core values, integrity and all the other things that go along with being a parent and role model.
When he is playing football, I want him to be taught the game by the best possible.
Fan...I don't have a problem at all with what you said. After all its the parents jobs to develope the values in the kids. Coaches should not be tasked to coach and parent both. Its not fair to any involved when that situation happens.
Well, here is what a great Coach Vince Lombardi says so he must have thought different from your views, maybe that is why I like him so much: "There's a great----a great closeness on a football team, a rapport between men and the Coach that is like no other sport. It's binding together, a knitting together. For me, it's like father and sons.....I missed players coming up to me and saying, "Coach, I need some help because my baby's sick," or "Mr. Lombardi, I want to talk to you about trouble I'm having at home."
And, here is what he says about his infamous saying "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" -- "I wish to **** I'd never said the ****ed thing, I meant the effort.. I meant having a goal... I sure as **** didn't mean for people to crush human values and morality. So, I will continue to believe as a Head Coach you have a commitment to your players to lead them by example, to care for them, and to teach them life lessons to prepare them for the realities of the days when High School is over. Thanks for letting me have a say on here.
Mountain Warrior Wrote:Amped 88, no offense taken and you may be right. If so, I still believe God has a plan for me. Hey, I finally found out who you are, it baffled me. Anyway, I will keep the faith. Take care everyone

I don't think that you do know who I am because I just know of you and that is it. Anyway, good luck to ya.
Thanks Amped, I appreciate it. I will say one final thing. You do not have to get a top level Coach with a proven name to make a successful program. I think this Administration wants to have a quality Football Program, I really do. However, they also want discipline on and off the football field and you cannot blame them for that. I respect the Administration for making a hard call and taking their time to do this the right way. Amped, I know you don't think I have a chance. However, if I am blessed enough to get hired, i would loved to sit and talk with you because you have some very good points. In addition, I want to go out in the community and speak to the community leader and organizations (Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.) and explain my philosophy and road map to get the program back to the days of the late 70's and early 80's, when I would go watch players like Brian Williams and Meridith Evans play against Corbin players like Greg Taylor and Steve Jewell. Those games were priceless. Take care and God Bless.
while i am sure many want to bring M'boro football back to the glory days i dont think they will throw that type of money at a well know well respected coach with a proven track record like you want blue12. middlesboro's best chance to get back to the "glory days" is to find a young coach with a good philosophy with ties to the area. it will be a long tough road and will take many years.
What about a good coach that is close and pretty good, but not too famous and expensive? You have the guy over at Cumberland Gap, TN (used to be an assistant at M'boro, I think), Donahue at Harlan, Ovie Canady (assistant at Harlan County, former Head Coach, and used to be an assistant at M'boro, I think), or someone else in that mold.
Dungy Wrote:What about a good coach that is close and pretty good, but not too famous and expensive? You have the guy over at Cumberland Gap, TN (used to be an assistant at M'boro, I think), Donahue at Harlan, Ovie Canady (assistant at Harlan County, former Head Coach, and used to be an assistant at M'boro, I think), or someone else in that mold.
I understand where your coming from. But why take the risk. Doesn't M'boro's tradition justify that they can get the proven product? If your standing over the edge of a cliff, do you want a rope that looks like it will secure you or do you want a proven certified rope that has been tested and proven to handle the situation with a large factor of safety? My concern is the previous coach allowed the program to set up camp on the edge of that cliff and this hire is critical to whatever future the program may have.
Is it possible for a #1A assistant coach that will be as tested and sure as a #1 head coach to be available? I don't have any names in mind, but maybe the first mate to Hilton, Holcomb, Jewell etc. that would (a) be eager for the challenge; (b) have the experience; and © be financially compatible with the position.
So, let me ask you then; a person who has coached at the college and high school level and been a head coach at the high school level where he took a program that was falling apart and brought it back up to playoff level standards by winning 7 and 8 games a season, has led men in 3 different combat operations and never had one killed under his command. Yes, he has been out of coaching for a few years but during this time he led 634 Mountain Warriors from Kentucky to Baghdad for a year of fighting in **** and brought everyone of them home alive, plus reach the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, Masters Degree, and graduate of the command and general staff college. He is Airborne, Ranger, Pathfinder, Fast Rope, and Combatives Instructor qualified is not a good candidate for the Middlesboro Head Football Coach. Is that what you believe?
Oh by the way, 3 time NAIA All American Linebacker, Union College Hall of Fame, Harlan Countian of the year in 2008, and won coach of the year in SEKC, Class AA, Harlan County, etc. you can add to the above.
Not knowing much about coaching, I think MW presents a compelling case, had already said he had to be in the hunt. Amp or Blue would have to reply to that. My other questions or comments were in the event he wasn't considered by the administration.
Understand Dungy and appreciate it.
J.L.
Well, I DO NOT blame the Administration for wanting more structure, organization, and someone who is a disciplinarian for the next Coach, whether it is me or hot. I have learned through over 20 years of dealing with young people that they actually want to be disciplined and have structure and organization in their lives. You can push a kid hard and get more out of him than he ever thought he had, but in turn you also have to let them know that you care for them, love them in a genuine way, and will stand beside them in the hard times. Then, they will run through BRICK WALLS for you. There is much emotion, challenges, and some hurt feelings in this situation. So, I admire the moral and personal courage of the Administration for doing the right thing for the right reasons, even though it may not be popular right now.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next