Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Paducah Tilghman
20.63%
Shelby Valley
79.37%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paducah Tilghman vs. Shelby Valley (1st Rd. Sweet 16)
I think SV makes it past Paducah Tilghman --

Senior year for this group means no more choking at Rupp -- yeah, last night was not their best showing but this is the big show

When the lights come on in Rupp next week, I expect a great showing out of all these seniors. One last time, do or die, I just expect one last special run from this team, even if it just means one good first round win.
According to their website they appear to have quite a winning tradition.

Twenty-Seven Time Region 1 Champions
1,755 Wins and Counting
Second Most Wins in Kentucky

Been to the Sweet 16 27 Times!

I sure hope Valley can take them! Good luck Valley!!!
Shelby Valley by 25...
leecoukfan Wrote:Elisha Justice is not gonna let Shelby Valley lose in the 1st Round! I look for SV to win this one by 10

Not even the great EJ can stop PT. PT easliy wins this one by 15.
The hatred by EKY people against SV continues even into possibly this amazing group's final game.
If you go back to November, everyone had written the PT football team off too. I don't follow PT basketball that closely, but I know many of the same young men who helped win the football trophy are here: Forrest, Harmon, Jackson, Edmonds, etc. Excellent athletes. Tilghman has obvious weaknesses but they also have been working on them.

http://www.pthsboysbasketball.webs.com/
superfreak Wrote:Not even the great EJ can stop PT. PT easliy wins this one by 15.

Not going to say that EJ stops PT, but I'll be willing to go out on a limb and say that if PT wins it won't be as easy as you may like to think. You might to want to go with your head and not your heart(or hatred).:Thumbs:
superfreak Wrote:Not even the great EJ can stop PT. PT easliy wins this one by 15.

take you hate somewhere else.
when have you seen Paducah played?
PC_You_Know Wrote:The hatred by EKY people against SV continues even into possibly this amazing group's final game.

I bet the people of Paducah think their group is just as amazing as your group??? What you think PC? There are other teams and fans you know. Go PT.
superfreak Wrote:I bet the people of Paducah think their group is just as amazing as your group??? What you think PC? There are other teams and fans you know. Go PT.

Did I say PT fans couldn't root for PT? I am just amazed that with the run this SV team has made, that there is still this much hatred against this team. You would figure most of EKY would be rooting for them.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Did I say PT fans couldn't root for PT? I am just amazed that with the run this SV team has made, that there is still this much hatred against this team. You would figure most of EKY would be rooting for them.

It's not the fact that a percentage of folks from EKY wants SV to lose. It's the fact that a lot are tired of the crazy things that are said about SV and how they're going to do this or that by their fans.

I supported SV last year at the Sweet Sixteen and plan to do the same this season, but I understand why some hold a grudge against SV, mostly because of some of the things said by their fan base, before and throughout the season.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Did I say PT fans couldn't root for PT? I am just amazed that with the run this SV team has made, that there is still this much hatred against this team. You would figure most of EKY would be rooting for them.

man, everybody is just out againts you, aint they lol
Yeah, Tilghman's tradition is awesome. I think they are 50 wins or so behind Ashland for all time wins in the state.

Of their previous 26 trips to Sweet 16, they have lost in the 1st Round 16 times.

9-16 in 1st Round
3-6 in the 2nd Round
2-1 semifinals
0-2 finals

KHSAA also has them down as 0-1 in misc game, I guess a third place game?

Anyhoo, as great as they have been, they do tend to lose early if their previous history is any indicator.

I would love to see a mountain school make it to Saturday night.
PT by 7 :Thumbs:
How does these threads always end up as a long drawn out argument. I still think that Valley has the experience and shooting in their favor. PT my be fast and athletic to break the Valley defensive press but I am sure that PT will have more turnovers than usual.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:It's not the fact that a percentage of folks from EKY wants SV to lose. It's the fact that a lot are tired of the crazy things that are said about SV and how they're going to do this or that by their fans.

I supported SV last year at the Sweet Sixteen and plan to do the same this season, but I understand why some hold a grudge against SV, mostly because of some of the things said by their fan base, before and throughout the season.

It's a lot like with Belfry and P'burg in football. Success breeds envy. Any community would be so proud to have this team as their own, but they can't stand the somewhat arrogant nature of the fans in what they say. It happens every time a team is dominant. The fans of the good teams are usually the ones who make the most posts on message boards like this one.
It's now or never for Shelby Valley. Good Luck at Rupp. It's time to play the best ball of your life. I'll be there a cheering you on. GO WILDCATS!!
NYY10 Wrote:This game kinda scares me for Valley. If they play like they did againts BL in Region, then this game will be over quickly, im sure. Any team that makes it to State is gonna be a good team.

Im with Cowbell on this one, I really dont know much about PT, but would like to see some film or some details on there players and style of play. So if, anybody has anything, please do share..

Hopefully Valley plays to their fullest capability, full of confidence and sets the tone in this one.

So if I had to go with someone, I would go with Valley, and that only being im a SV fan and know nothing about Paducah!!
GO VALLEY!!

like they said several players from footbal and they dont give up like when they got down to CENTRAL in football they come back 14 down,i wouldnt be surprised to see them beat SV
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:It's a lot like with Belfry and P'burg in football. Success breeds envy. Any community would be so proud to have this team as their own, but they can't stand the somewhat arrogant nature of the fans in what they say. It happens every time a team is dominant. The fans of the good teams are usually the ones who make the most posts on message boards like this one.

I agree... excellent point!
I am from this part of the state and nothing would make me happier to see a couple mountain teams make a deep run... lets go sv kcc and corbin.. do the mountains proud.. i'm goin with valley by 7
i dont know about this one i know its gonna be close i say pt by 3
Valley by 13.
Shelby Valley in a barnburner by 3.
BCF4L Wrote:PT wins going away. SV is good for Eastern KY, not so much when you meet teams in the Central and Western part of the state. Another one and done for the 15th region.

Disagree, I think you are giving the teams from western KY a bit too much credit.

I agree that in general, stronger eastern KY teams don't always do well when they play against teams from central KY, in particular the powerhouse teams from the 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, and 11th regions.

But not western KY. The only regions that have had powerhouse teams from out west in recent years are the 4th, with Warren Central and Bowling Green, or the 2nd, with Christian Co. and University Heights. That's it. I'd bet that overall, mountain teams have held their own just fine against teams from the 1st-5th regions.

As for your prediction of a 15-point win for Tilghman, I just don't see what you base this assessment on. Tilghman has not beaten any of the top teams in the state this year. Granted, SV hasn't done much in-state either, but at least they do own a road win over a top-15 team in Jeffersontown, not to mention a road win over Sweet Sixteen participant Knott Central. If anything, SV has proven more this year than Paducah.

From what I can tell, these are two evenly matched teams, and I don't see either team winning by double digits.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If this Tilghman team is like most of the teams they have sent to the Sweet 16, they will be very athletic. The exact type of team that could give Shelby Valley problems. Athletic teams don't tend to turn the ball over very much, and SV relies on their press to convert turnovers into points. Without those turnover points SV could be in trouble. I look for this to be a very close game. Not an easy game at all for SV, like many on here think.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:If this Tilghman team is like most of the teams they have sent to the Sweet 16, they will be very athletic. The exact type of team that could give Shelby Valley problems. Athletic teams don't tend to turn the ball over very much, and SV relies on their press to convert turnovers into points. Without those turnover points SV could be in trouble. I look for this to be a very close game. Not an easy game at all for SV, like many on here think.

And Miller Grove (GA) or Christian County wasn't athletic?

Shelby Valley has held their own against athletic teams in the past. Only thing I've ever seen that actually hurts Valley is their shooting. Because Valley does not shoot the ball very well. If teams can keep them out of the lane, then they have a clear shot at a victory.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:And Miller Grove (GA) or Christian County wasn't athletic?

Shelby Valley has held their own against athletic teams in the past. Only thing I've ever seen that actually hurts Valley is their shooting. Because Valley does not shoot the ball very well. If teams can keep them out of the lane, then they have a clear shot at a victory.

this. valley has done very well against extremely athletic teams. their problem is they're either really hot or really cold. for valley to win i believe they'll need to control the tempo of this game, get the momentum up, and shoot the ball very well. seems when they have good momentum valley boys dont miss.
Valley by 5
BlackcatAlum Wrote:And Miller Grove (GA) or Christian County wasn't athletic?

To answer the bolded, they sure were. And Christian County traveled six hours on a bus and beat Shelby Valley at Shelby Valley, and you can probably add 10 points to whatever Valley's final points were due to it being played on their home court and called by their own refs.
And I heard about the Miller Grove game. The officiating wasn't exactly in favor of Miller Grove. Defensive pressure and steals are the greatest thing in the world if no fouls are ever called.

Look, I've seen Shelby Valley play several times this year and they are really good. I hope either them or Knott Central wins it all. But when their press is not effective against these athletic teams who can handle whatever defense is thrown at them, then they could be in trouble. Paducah Tilghman has lost only twice to Kentucky teams this year, and one of those was a 2 point loss at Christian County.
Shelby Valley is not going to go one and done this year
call it destiny
but Paducah is not the team to take them down