Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 69 Betsy Layne 61 (15th Region Championship)
Valley moves on to Rupp
Congrats guys! Refs made sure Valley didn't run away with this game.
gotta give credit to BL, Valley didn't play their best game at all and got everything from BL

Congrats Valley!
great season for Besty Layne
What a game congrats Valley
Betsy Layne all i can say is wow you came into this game and gave it your all but just came up a little short.
player of the Game- Elisha Justice
Valleys next game will be Thursday down in Lexington at 1:30, (anybody know who againts)
Thanks for the updates NYY10. Sounds like Betsy Layne came in with a great game plan and a winning mentality. Grats to Valley on the good win and Congrats to EJ for getting the Player of Game award.
Congrats BL on giving it one **** of an effort. Im sure there upset, and you wont be able to tell em other wise, but to stay with SV that close, after nobody really thought you could, is an accomplishment in my book.
Congrats Valley.

Congrats to Betsy Layne! I knew it was going to be a close one!
Stats for Valley
Cody Varney-11
Tyler Newsome-13
Elisha Justice-18
Taylor Newsome-11
Ashley Hatfield-9
Zach Ramey-5
Trey Roberts-2

Besty Layne shot 51% from the field, 54% from the 3 point line
Valley shot only 44% from the field and 37% from the 3 point line. only 2 3's

Shelby Valley outrebounded BL 33-21
turnovers
BL-14
Valley-7
Congratulations to Coach Booher and his staff on a season that will be hard to copy for team's in the future the way Valley ran through the region.

Everyone must salute Coach Junior Newsome and his team for the effort tonight.

From my understanding, Valley will play the winner of the 1st regional championship which has two solid teams in Paducah Tilghman (26-6) and Graves County (28-4).

Go Valley !!
Was it unexpected that BL played the game this close? Not knowing anything about them, it certainly seems like they put up a great effort to one of the states top teams.
Congrats to Shelby Valley... Hope you represent the region well this year....

And WOW.... I couldn't believe the score.... sounds like Betsy Layne gave it there all...
Congratulations Wildcats !! This will only help you at Rupp, because they will all be tough games there.Also congrats to Betsy Layne for not giving up.
A surprisingly close game to me. Obviously Betsy Lane has a respectable team.
Stardust Wrote:Was it unexpected that BL played the game this close? Not knowing anything about them, it certainly seems like they put up a great effort to one of the states top teams.

Someone quoted me earlier in another thread that SV beat betsy layne by 23 in a game earlier in the season so they way they have ran through everyone else people thought this one wouldn't be any different but Betsy Layne came out and played there hearts out and gave a great effort.
congrats to both teams, BL you guys surprised alot of people, SV good luck in the sweet 16, hope you guys win it all
PC_You_Know Wrote:Congrats guys! Refs made sure Valley didn't run away with this game.

Just because a bad team nearly beat your so called great team doesn't mean you have to blame the refs. How old are you anyways (10) ? Grow up!!
Congrats to Betsy Layne and Coach Newsome for playing hard and a good game plan that had to be executed though by the players. Shelby Valley got into foul trouble and had to sit 3 of the starters for much of the game and shot, I think, only 44% for the game. Need to shoot a better percentage downstate. Another good game from Elisha Justice, who sat most of the second quarter because of foul trouble. Go Wildcats!
First off, great dunk by Varney. Hope you are alright. Second off, the refs called a horrible game, in my perspective in Valley's favor. Justice played a good game, hope you do eky proud in L. I would root for Valley forever if, they would give the respect to the bobcats. Jr. Newsome, by far coach of the region this year. Bryce Adkins and Jordan Newman wow, you all will be missed. Please Valley fans give credit to BL and dont talk trash. Karma will get you.

Derek Tackett, you played a great game, your skills are getting better. I thought you played an unbelievable game. Cant wait for you, Nathan, and Casey to lead us next year!!!!
superfreak Wrote:Just because a bad team nearly beat your so called great team doesn't mean you have to blame the refs. How old are you anyways (10) ? Grow up!!

Never called my team great, I've never even made a prediction for Shelby Valley. Take up your hatred with some other poster on here. I make no predictions for how Shelby Valley will do. I support them and predict them to win every game, but unlike other posters, I don't tout them as region champs or state champs before the season starts.
sheriff Wrote:First off, great dunk by Varney. Hope you are alright. Second off, the refs called a horrible game, in my perspective in Valley's favor. Justice played a good game, hope you do eky proud in L. I would root for Valley forever if, they would give the respect to the bobcats. Jr. Newsome, by far coach of the region this year. Bryce Adkins and Jordan Newman wow, you all will be missed. Please Valley fans give credit to BL and dont talk trash. Karma will get you.

Derek Tackett, you played a great game, your skills are getting better. I thought you played an unbelievable game. Cant wait for you, Nathan, and Casey to lead us next year!!!!

I look for BL to contend for the regional title next year.
Congrats to Valley and good luck at Rupp. Way to put up a great fight BL, you guys made the 58th proud tonight.
Congrats to my Wildcats wonderful game. Only mistake was the MVP should have been Hatfield. He by far played better tourny. than Justice.
First of all, a BIG congrats to Shelby Valley for winning the 15th region and making claim to the best team to ever play in this region. Second, hats off to Betsy Layne, who played their hearts out, you will be a contender for next years title. Game-wise, SV did what they needed to do, got a little tight in the second half, but the big guns from Valley wouldn't be denied. Great game from EJ, who took over when Valley needed him, just like a Mr. Basketball candidate should do. Tanner and Ramey filled in big minutes for Taylor, Ashley and Elisha, who was hampered with early foul trouble. GREAT DUNK by Varney, definetly one worthy of the best dunk this year!
Congrats Shelby Valley on another Regional Championship. Looking foward to watching you play in Rupp... Go to Lexington and cut down the nets... SV seniors go have fun playing in the State tourn, this has been a fun group to watch.

Congrats BL on a great showing in the tourn.
All I can say is wow. I mean that effort by BL is why we play the tourneys, they came out and played great ball with one of the best teams in the state and gave their self a chance to win around the 4th. I am really proud of the Bobcats and if they are returning a lot of their players I will say they may be the favorite to win the 15th next year! Great game guys. Now for Valley, I think this was a very interesting game seeing as though they beat BL by a wide margin earlier this year at BL. I would say that the calls kept Valley from getting out to a insurmountable and allowed BL to stay in it. It really should wake Valley up and tell them that if they have a down night, THEY WILL BE OUT. They are lucky to have escape a lower region and now need to capitalize down in Rupp. Good luck cats and bring the state title home to the mountains!!!!
Congrats to the Wildcats... good luck in what should be a very interesting Sweet 16.
How can u say SV is the best team ever when Paintsville made it to the final 4 on several occasions and even won a state championship at a time when the state was a lot tougher. It's ridiculous to compare SV's talent level to the JR Vanhoose, Todd Tackett, Josh McKenzie, and Craig Ratliff group. The game wouldn't even be close. I agree SV has a very good team but I think they would only be above average in any other era. Anybody who knows basketball knows the 15th region is at an all time low, as well as teams at the state level. Good luck to Valley and congrats to Betsy Layne on an outstanding effort in the finals.