Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville's Coach: Bart Williams
Will he be there for 2010-11?

2007 - 15th Region Championship (Lost by 6 to SV)
2008 - 1st Round District Loss (Lost by 7 to ER)
2009 - 1st Round District Loss (Lost by 9 to Belfry)
2010 - 1st Round District Loss (Lost by 3 to ER)
I'm saying yes he will.

Who would want that job?

They are losing kids everyday to county schools, Soph. class has some talent but not much other than that until you get into 6th grade...........
You ever think thats why hes not comming back?? Losing programs arent good for keeping talented kids.. a coaching change may be what keeps the little talent they have left from going to the county schools. IMO tho its not the talent nor the gametime coaching that beats pville, its the overconfidence in preparing for teams like ER... if i were to guess i would say pville spent the past few weeks preparing for valley and assuming an ER victory,, one game at a time guys, one game at a time!!
Skyhawk Wrote:I'm saying yes he will.

Who would want that job?

They are losing kids everyday to county schools, Soph. class has some talent but not much other than that until you get into 6th grade...........

With what Shelby Valley and East Ridge have coming up, Pikeville will still have the third most talented team in the 59th district.
EKY Wrote:With what Shelby Valley and East Ridge have coming up, Pikeville will still have the third most talented team in the 59th district.

Yep, and probably 8th or 9th in the region.

Johnson Central
Betsy Layne
Pike Central
Lawrence Co.
Belfry

All have not just a little, BUT A TON more talent in every grade from 6th -11th.
Does it really matter what kind of talent Bart Williams has? If he would have had Shelby Valley the past 3 years they would have fell apart some would have quit or transfered. The truth is the kids do not have any respect for him,he has lost respect from all the players and the kids don't trust him. They are more talent walking the halls of pikeville than on the team that love basketball but will not play because of Bart. Maybe this will open the eyes of the administration and they will take heed to all the complaints they have had on him and make a change.
Didn't Pikeville win the 8th grade tournament a couple of years ago ? If my memory is correct that was a dominate team with many athletes. Have those players not improved ? Miller, Marynard & the Tacketts.
pikecountyfootball Wrote:Didn't Pikeville win the 8th grade tournament a couple of years ago ? If my memory is correct that was a dominate team with many athletes. Have those players not improved ? Miller, Marynard & the Tacketts.

A dominant team in Pike Co. in the 2nd year of the no holdback rule, with a team that had holdbacks.
Skyhawk Wrote:Yep, and probably 8th or 9th in the region.

Johnson Central
Betsy Layne
Pike Central
Lawrence Co.
Belfry

All have not just a little, BUT A TON more talent in every grade from 6th -11th.

Well, dont get carried away,, pike central and lawrence co.s 10-11th are really weak,, so they could prolly be 4th or 5th in the region next year but def wont make it to the tourney unless we superdistrict again and they play pcc
I think Bart is a pretty good coach and made the most this year with what he had. I think the problem there may be with a senior guard on that team that causes a lot of problems. I am not that close to the program, but I have heard things and seen attitude that may be a real problem. I have seen this for two or three years. Graduation may be the best thing for Pikeville. Just an observation from the outside looking in.
Skyhawk Wrote:A dominant team in Pike Co. in the 2nd year of the no holdback rule, with a team that had holdbacks.

.Pikeville still does not allow holdbacks in 7th or 8th grade and hasn't for years. There were only 3 kids on that team who had been held back - 2 in the 6th grade and 1 very early in elementary school. However of the 13 kids on that team only 3 still play. And I think one of those is about to stop playing.
baseline Jumper Wrote:I think Bart is a pretty good coach and made the most this year with what he had. I think the problem there may be with a senior guard on that team that causes a lot of problems. I am not that close to the program, but I have heard things and seen attitude that may be a real problem. I have seen this for two or three years. Graduation may be the best thing for Pikeville. Just an observation from the outside looking in.
Those statements are incorrect. There were no internal problems this year. This team was very close.
I support Coach Bart Williams and hope he remains at Pikeville and is able to continue building the basketball program. Change at this point would not be the correct move, in my opinion.
Skyhawk Wrote:A dominant team in Pike Co. in the 2nd year of the no holdback rule, with a team that had holdbacks.

Those kids listed are in there appropriate grade, I dont think any of those held back. Dont start on holdbacks as the county has done this for years. The kids you listed are not even playing basketball now except one of the twins.

The class before that also won the county championship also and only 4 of those kids are still playing basketball.
I'm thinking that a couple of years back that many were talking about some of the negative things he was saying about the graduating seniors at an awards banquet or something. This may be one of the reasons that some of the younger kids decided not to play for him. It's easy to be negative when things are not going well, real coaches step up and try to motivate in those situations.:getwell:
baseline Jumper Wrote:I think Bart is a pretty good coach and made the most this year with what he had. I think the problem there may be with a senior guard on that team that causes a lot of problems. I am not that close to the program, but I have heard things and seen attitude that may be a real problem. I have seen this for two or three years. Graduation may be the best thing for Pikeville. Just an observation from the outside looking in.
That statement makes me sick. What about the past two years? No mention of this before the ER game. The coach has to control any of those "so called problems.":please:
The next couple of years Pikeville should dominate. When the sophomore class is seniors, theyll make a region championship run easily. Once the other tackett, miller, and ward get back on the floor. Bart will have him a region championship, in time. Theres no reason Pikeville should boot him
mullinstiger55 Wrote:The next couple of years Pikeville should dominate. When the sophomore class is seniors, theyll make a region championship run easily. Once the other tackett, miller, and ward get back on the floor. Bart will have him a region championship, in time. Theres no reason Pikeville should boot him

none of these kids will play for him
Panther Thunder Wrote:I support Coach Bart Williams and hope he remains at Pikeville and is able to continue building the basketball program. Change at this point would not be the correct move, in my opinion.

I completely disagree it is time for a change. It is time to bring in a coach who encourages all kids to participate in the sport and have open try outs. What we have now is a total wreck of a program.
I like Bart as a person and a coach. Most people don't know how serious he takes the game. Yeah, no one gives him the respect he deserves but in the coming years many W's will be on the board
pikecountyfootball Wrote:Didn't Pikeville win the 8th grade tournament a couple of years ago ? If my memory is correct that was a dominate team with many athletes. Have those players not improved ? Miller, Marynard & the Tacketts.

yeah they were really good. the 6 solid players are the best in the region their age, but miller maynard and one tackett twin quit

IMO Bart should be given one more shot
Coach Bart's got my support.:1::Thumbs:
Bart has proved nothing. If he Coaches Pikeville next year you will see the same results, talented kids not playing because they will not play for him. Bart leaves, the kids will play and Pikeville will be in the running for a regional championship
mullinstiger55 Wrote:The next couple of years Pikeville should dominate. When the sophomore class is seniors, theyll make a region championship run easily. Once the other tackett, miller, and ward get back on the floor. Bart will have him a region championship, in time. Theres no reason Pikeville should boot him

HYPOCRITE! You start this thread questioning him and now you say "There's no reason Pikeville should boot him." ???? HYPOCRITE!!!!

People thought the Panthers had no shot this season and they play pretty darn good IMO! And some of you are crying that this one and that one won't play for him.....well....waaaaaah! Same goes at every school! IF a kid can't handle discipline....they don't need to be there. All they do is hurt the rest of the team, who shows respect and trust in their coach.
Coach Williams has done a fine job at Pikeville. He has produced some good ball players and some even BETTER young men!
This is one person who is not in Pike Co. who supports you Coach Williams. Stick to your guns and run your team coach..those kids will never forget you!
I can't help but wonder what was going through Bart's mind when he was watching the Pikeville/Dorton game which Dorton won by 20. Then as he watched Virgie's Middle School team beat Pikeville by 20. He was probably thinking something like, "If we're getting blown out by Virgie and Dorton, what's it going to be like when they come together at Shelby Valley and we still have the same team of players!"
People are talking about how Pikeville won the county championship a couple of years, but forget that Dorton and Virgie's teams will be combined when they get to Shelby Valley, not counting some outside players coming in (ex. Zach Ramey, Devon Burchett, etc.) How is Pikeville suppose to deal with that?
The same can also be said of Feds Creek, Elkhorn City, and Millard.
Look at this year's final four teams in the Pike County Middle School Tournament!(Dorton, Elkhorn City, Virgie, and Feds Creek)
It's just not in the cards! At least that's the way I see it.
19 wins, PIT Championship, Runner-up to Shelby Valley in Region All A. Congrats on good season. I did not get to see the District, but saw stats where Pikeville shot 10-21 from the line and 0-12 from 3. I do not know how they were within 2 or 3 at the end.....Like most of our coaches Mr. Williams does a good job. It is my understanding from talking with a couple of the county coaches Pikeville School will not let them hold kids back. That is going to make it even harder for them. Not even thinking about sports, most kids just need to mature more. Many at 17 or a young 18 just are not ready for college......But it does look like they will be pretty good next few years...........
The coach doesn't miss free throws. The coach doesn't miss shots. Bart prepares just as much as every coach. I would want someone that runs a program the way it is supposed to be ran. That is Coach Williams. If he could shoot for them there wouldn't be any problems anyway.
OffTheHook Wrote:HYPOCRITE! You start this thread questioning him and now you say "There's no reason Pikeville should boot him." ???? HYPOCRITE!!!!

People thought the Panthers had no shot this season and they play pretty darn good IMO! And some of you are crying that this one and that one won't play for him.....well....waaaaaah! Same goes at every school! IF a kid can't handle discipline....they don't need to be there. All they do is hurt the rest of the team, who shows respect and trust in their coach.
Coach Williams has done a fine job at Pikeville. He has produced some good ball players and some even BETTER young men!
This is one person who is not in Pike Co. who supports you Coach Williams. Stick to your guns and run your team coach..those kids will never forget you!

You have no ideal what you are talking about what has he done at Pikeville what has he won find any kids that enjoy playing for him you need to find out the facts about this program I would post them but they would be deleted before anyone could read them
buster Wrote:I completely disagree it is time for a change. It is time to bring in a coach who encourages all kids to participate in the sport and have open try outs. What we have now is a total wreck of a program.

buster Wrote:You have no ideal what you are talking about what has he done at Pikeville what has he won find any kids that enjoy playing for him you need to find out the facts about this program I would post them but they would be deleted before anyone could read them

Maybe run on sentences should be deleted as well.
Pikeville players are allowed to be held back as long as it's before junior high. You can play your senior year as long as you turn 19 during that academic year.