Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Catholic 74 Scott County 71
Final.
Wow...Lexcath has really been playing some great basketball lately and have had SC's number lately.
LexCath is one of the hottest teams in the state right now. Scott Co. may not make it out of their own region if the Knights continue to play this well.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It would be a shame if Scott County didn't make the Sweet 16 again this season with all the talent they have.

Lexington Catholic has a real scrappy team that can defend and shoot. They have all the tools to be a great team with a quick point guard, streaky shooting guard, and a 6'8 body down low.

Right now, I would say they are the best team in the 11th region.

Congrats Knights!
The Beckhams combined for 39 points !! I wouldn't be surprised if Lex Cath comes out of the 11th at all.
Very nice win for Lex. Cath. they seem to like to play Scott Co. and beat them maybe more than any other region team. LC is 4-1 against Scott Co. so I dont think they much worry what ranking they give Scott Co.
I agree Blackcatalum.

With all the transfers SC has received over the years, how do you think the community would react if this group didn't make the region tournament AGAIN this year?

This game just goes to show that hard work will beat out talent any day.
Saw this game on tv, even though this game was at Scott Co., Lexington Catholic brought two of their officials with them. Two of the three officials call almost all of Lexington Catholics games. The stats show that Lexington Catholic shot 32 free throws to Scott Co's 18.

Seemed like every call went Lexington Catholics way, I even saw a Scott Co. player get a steal at half court and a Lexington Catholic player pulled his jersey as he was dribbling down the court and then two players fouled the Scott Co. player as he was attempting to score in transition and there was no call anytime throughout that play.

Scott Co. led the entire game by double digits until the end of the third where they were up by six. By the 3 minute mark in the fourth the game was tied. LC pressed the entire game and they are very quick, especially the two Beckham brothers.

Last year Scott Co. beat LC during the regular season and lost to them in the Regional finals. I think the same will happen this year. I don't believe LC will beat Scott Co. in the regional tournament.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I agree Blackcatalum.

With all the transfers SC has received over the years, how do you think the community would react if this group didn't make the region tournament AGAIN this year?

This game just goes to show that hard work will beat out talent any day.
Scott Co. made it to the Regional finals last year?
goodguy Wrote:Scott Co. made it to the Regional finals last year?

I meant state tournament. My bad.
I kind of expected this.
central fan Wrote:I kind of expected this.

I did to.Told people that I thought Catholic would win AT Scott Co. Huge win. We have played both Scott Co and Lexington Catholic this month, and I felt that Catholic is playing the best ball right now. I too look for Catholic to come out of the 11th, baring any injuries. I thought Scott Co would win last year, and I still think would have, i Phares hadn't gotten hurt.
wow. way to go LC
Wow, I certianly did not expect this. Was this played at Lex Cath?
Stardust Wrote:Wow, I certianly did not expect this. Was this played at Lex Cath?

Game was played AT Scott Co...Lexcath was down by 14 midway through the 3rd quarter and then went on a 12-2 run that bridged the 3rd and 4th quarters.

With around 3 minutes left in the game, Catholic finally tied the game.

Seth Beckham made 1 of 2 free throws and Martin made 2 more to put LC up 3 and give you the final of 74-71.
Odds are these two teams will meet again in a few weeks.
Lex Cath is really getting hot at a good time of the year.
congrtas to LC
kywldcat01 Wrote:Game was played AT Scott Co...Lexcath was down by 14 midway through the 3rd quarter and then went on a 12-2 run that bridged the 3rd and 4th quarters.

With around 3 minutes left in the game, Catholic finally tied the game.

Seth Beckham made 1 of 2 free throws and Martin made 2 more to put LC up 3 and give you the final of 74-71.
Stats show Lexington Catholic shooting 32 free throws and Scott Co shooting 18. Seems unbalanced to me. LC has the rep of getting their refs for home and away games. They definitely have an in with the assigning secretary.

There were major referee problems with the Trinity and Manual games earlier this year. When playing LC usually have to beat more than the five players on the floor.
goodguy Wrote:Stats show Lexington Catholic shooting 32 free throws and Scott Co shooting 18. Seems unbalanced to me. LC has the rep of getting their refs for home and away games. They definitely have an in with the assigning secretary.

There were major referee problems with the Trinity and Manual games earlier this year. When playing LC usually have to beat more than the five players on the floor.

LC is 4-1 against Scott Co the past 5 times they've played...I'm not buying the "5 against 8" excuse.

Ever think maybe the free throw differential could have to do with LC making their front ends of 1 and 1's and Scott Co not making theirs?
kywldcat01 Wrote:LC is 4-1 against Scott Co the past 5 times they've played...I'm not buying the "5 against 8" excuse.

Ever think maybe the free throw differential could have to do with LC making their front ends of 1 and 1's and Scott Co not making theirs?

You bet, I'm sure that was the case:eyeroll:
http://www.kentucky.com/813/story/1138922.html

GEORGETOWN — If there were any doubts that Lexington Catholic has what it takes to win a third consecutive 11th Region boys' basketball title, they were erased Saturday night.

The No. 5 Knights rallied from a 14-point second-half deficit and beat top-rated Scott County 74-71 in a game that might have been a rehearsal for a regional tournament rematch next month.

"To come into a hostile environment like this and be able to come back like we did against the No. 1 team in the state is a testimony to how good we're getting," Coach Brandon Salsman said

"We made some serious mistakes we've got to fix, but my gosh, the heart and soul of my team is as big as any I've ever coached."

The heroes were many for the Knights, including junior Taylor Martin.

When Lexington Catholic stunned No. 1 Scott County in the region finals last year, Martin hit the winning free throws in the last seconds.

He did it again Saturday night, cashing two foul shots with 14 seconds left to give the Knights a 73-71 lead.

Was it deja vu for Martin?

"A little bit, I guess," he said. "Actually, I was more nervous this time because I had missed (four) free throws earlier in the game."

Scott County's Chad Jackson misfired from the top of the key with two seconds left, and Jaylen Beckham hit one of two foul shots to close it out for Lexington Catholic.

The Beckham brothers — Jaylen and Seth — came up big for the Knights in the backcourt. Jaylen, a sophomore, had 21 points and eight rebounds. Seth, a junior, had 18 points, seven rebounds and four steals.

Martin had 14 points, six rebounds and eight assists.

Tanner Peurach, a 6-foot-8 senior, added eight points and six rebounds. His early play kept the Knights from falling too far behind.

Still, the visitors were in a 14-point hole (40-26) in the opening minute of the second half. They started clawing out late in the third quarter, using a 12-2 run to get back into contention.

Scott County Coach Billy Hicks put the blame on his team's defense — "We stopped playing it," he said. "Old habits are hard to break. We started standing around."

Dakotah Euton, a 6-8 senior, led the Cards with 22 points, 16 rebounds and three steals.

Jackson had 18 points, seven rebounds and five assists. Ge-Lawn Guyn had 16 points, and Tamron Manning added 10 as Scott County's 13-game winning streak ended

"I was aggravated because I hate for teams to play harder than us, and Catholic did," Hicks said. "We weren't as tough as we should be. They beat our tails on our home court. This night belongs to Catholic."

Salsman wasn't about to get too pumped up after his Knights won their 10th game in a row and beat Scott County for the fourth time in their last five meetings.

"There are no ladders out here to cut down nets," he said. "We're just worried about getting ready for Lafayette in the district."
^^^^

LEXINGTON CATHOLIC (19-4) — Peurach 4-5 0-2 8, J. Beckham 7-16 7-13 21, Martin 4-13 6-10 14, S. Beckham 7-12 3-3 18, Schuette 3-10 2-2 8, Porter 1-4 0-0 2, Floyd 0-0 1-2 1. Totals 26-60 19-32 74.

SCOTT CO. (20-6) — Jackson 8-17 2-4 18, Euton 8-15 3-5 22, Guyn 7-12 2-3 16, Manning 3-5 4-4 10, Shotwell 0-4 0-0 0, Ivey 2-2 0-0 4, Schu 0-0 1-2 1, Flannery 0-3 0-0 0. Totals 28-58 12-18 71.

Lexington Catholic 7 19 19 29—74

Scott County 14 22 15 20—71
goodguy Wrote:You bet, I'm sure that was the case:eyeroll:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then...but LC has had success against SC over the past few years (4-1). The only time Scott Co beat Lexcath was last year AT LEXCATH, so again, I'm not buying the "5 on 8 excuse".
kywldcat01 Wrote:I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then...but LC has had success against SC over the past few years (4-1). The only time Scott Co beat Lexcath was last year AT LEXCATH, so again, I'm not buying the "5 on 8 excuse".

I have to agree with Goodguy on this one as I know Trinity and Manual both has horridly biased officiating when they played at LexCath.

Not sure why this happens but I've heard this for years and I saw it first hand in the Republic Bank Classic!!