Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Games you wish were scheduled this year...
Not sure if there has been a thread on this or not, but needless to say, I'm making one. Basically, say the match ups that you would have liked to have seen this season. I'll give reasons for mine.

In no particular order:

Lone Oak vs. Bell County

Both teams lost to Boyle by three in two of the best games of the year, and both dominated most every other team that they played. The greatest offense in 4A against (arguably) the greatest defense in 4A here. Whichever side you support, there is no doubt about this one: it would be a game to remember.

Simon Kenton vs Trinity

Just because I personally think that SK was the better team this year, and I would like to see some confirmation to my theory. Probably the second and third best teams in 6A, as well.

Highlands vs St. Xavier

This one is obvious: the two best teams in the state deck it out. Its that simple.

Mayfield vs Murray

This one is a bit of a western rivalry, plus it appears to be a decent matchup. Mayfield made it to state, and Murray was the only team to give Fort Campbell any trouble. This one just catches my fancy for some reason.

Lone Oak vs Paducah Tilghman

This one is a bit personal, as some people from Tilghman believe that they were the better team this year because they won a state title. Well, if I can't say anything nice, than I shouldn't say anything at all. :biggrin:

Lone Oak vs Fort Campbell

The best of the west go head to head. The Falcons went undefeated with a stellar QB at their head, but I don't think that either their offense or their defense were quite up to snuff as Boyle's. I just believe that it would be a good matchup.

Obviously alot of LO matchups there, but then again, I'm a bit biased. So, what games would you liked to have seen?
Lone Oak Shocker Wrote:Lone Oak vs. Bell County

Both teams lost to Boyle by three in two of the best games of the year, and both dominated most every other team that they played. The greatest offense in 4A against (arguably) the greatest defense in 4A here. Whichever side you support, there is no doubt about this one: it would be a game to remember.

[

Greatest offense in 4A? How about "best passing game".? As for 4As best defense; that would have been Boyle County's.

As for a game that I wish we could have seen; give me Bell versus Lex Cath. Bell and Boyle had two common opponents (Johnson Central and Rockcastle) but neither were very good. I would liked to have compared Bell's game with Lex Cath to Boyle's two games with Lex Cath.
Instead of games you would like to see, how about games you would not like to see. Here are some:

LO V Reidland
LO V Heath
LO V Ballard Memorial
LO V Marshall Co.
LO V Green Co. (There are plenty of better AA and AAA teams much closer.)

Of course, you can't puff up your stats against better teams.
- Estill Co. vs. Letcher County Central

*Play them in every other sport*

- Estill Co. vs. Perry County Central

*Play Them in every other sport*

- Estill Co. vs. Hazard

*Play them in every other sport*

- Estill Co. vs. Clark Co
*Play Them in Softball, Baseball*

- Estill Co. vs. Montgomery Co.

*Play Them in Softball, Baseball*

- Estill Co. vs. Prestonsburg

- Estill Co. vs. Bell Co.

- Estill Co. vs. Lone Oak
Highlands vs. Louisville St. X

Highlands vs. Trinity

Highlands vs. Simon Kenton

Mostly because I got tired of hearing how they could all beat Highlands .
Sheldon Clark vs Somerset at SC! Last years' game in the AAA Semi Finals was one of Sheldon Clark's poorest performances of last season. I am excluding the games when they had five to seven players injured or suspended.
Boyle County vs Highlands
tradition Wrote:Highlands vs. Louisville St. X

Highlands vs. Trinity

Highlands vs. Simon Kenton

Mostly because I got tired of hearing how they could all beat Highlands .

Most years, St.X and Trinity would beat Highlands. Not this past year though.
Tica Wrote:Instead of games you would like to see, how about games you would not like to see. Here are some:

LO V Reidland
LO V Heath
LO V Ballard Memorial
LO V Marshall Co.
LO V Green Co. (There are plenty of better AA and AAA teams much closer.)

Of course, you can't puff up your stats against better teams.

For the most part, I agree (though we were expecting Green to be better and Marshal to be at least decent.) I really wish that we would play Mayfield, Fort Campbell, Owensboro, etc.

Of course, we also put up 45 against Marion, 34 against Allen County Scottsville, and 39 against Boyle (in 2 OT.)

And BluegrassBuckeye, LO had the best overall offense in 4A, though alot of it is accredited to our passing game. And Bell/Boyle both had outstanding defenses-it was hard to pick a clear cut winner there.

But I'm not trying to make this thread about Lone Oak, just clarifying some points.
Perry Central vs. Hazard
rivalry game. Hazard's board of Education decided not to play us this. fights or something.
Commodore_Colonel Wrote:Perry Central vs. Hazard
rivalry game. Hazard's board of Education decided not to play us this. fights or something.

I agree. Let them play. It's a good rivalry.
Here are three more I would like to see.

Fort Campbell V. Mayfield

Fort Campbell V. Murray (in regular season)

Fort Campbell V. Lone Oak
A few more:

Marion County vs Allen County Scottsville

Alot of people overlook the second tier of 4A this last year. Though not state title material this year, these two teams both were notorious for powering through most of their opposition, and could have probably held their own with some of the second and third tier 6A teams this year. Marion County had an outstanding rushing offense, and only lost three games this season (two of those were against Bell County and Lone Oak.) ACS was undefeated before Lone Oak stopped them in the third round of the playoffs, and were renowned for their powerhouse defense, which was quite possibly the third best in 4A (behind Boyle and Bell, obviously.) These two teams facing off just seems like it would be a good battle.

Fort Campbell vs Bowling Green

Two western powers from a similar area (both District 2, I believe), and both trampled their opposition this season. Looks like a good catfight.

Lone Oak vs John Hardin

Runner up for 4A and 5A, and both were undefeated prior to the state title match. Just seems like a decent matchup.

My favorite is still Bell vs. Lone Oak, though.
Rockcastle vs. ANYBODY in the 4A State Championship game Smile
Breathitt Co v/s Bell Co

They used to play almost every year when they were in the same class. Hilton left Breathitt Co to go to Bell Co. Holcomb was assitant under Dudley for a couple of years. Breathitt has never beat Bell Co since Hilton arrived. So you know there bad blood bewteen these two programs.
i played for bell in the early 90's and remember the bobcat vs bobcat games. they were some very good hard hitting games.

personally i would like to see: highlands and st x, highlands trinity
Letcher County Central vs Johnson Central or maybe a home game against Highlands
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Letcher County Central vs Johnson Central or maybe a home game against Highlands

Iv been saying that for the last 2 years, I think it would be a great game.
I really would like to see more out of state match ups. But Not in particular like Bell countys season opener against the Very Best team in tennesee. Coach hilton was lucky to get simply only beaten badly he could of suffered a lot of injuries from getting beatdown by this jugernaut they were pitted against by the city-county bowl organizers matched up by their old hated rival Middlesboro pushing the buttons. I imagine their thinking was if they could not handle bell then they would find someone thart would..lol I would like to see more out of state season openers but against likesize schools and talent.
Didn't Johnson Central play a Mississippi school last year early in the season.
Real Badman Wrote:Iv been saying that for the last 2 years, I think it would be a great game.

What is there to lose? Being an out of district match up neither team would have any kind of standing in the playoffs at stake. Maybe we should start a petition haha
Tica Wrote:Didn't Johnson Central play a Mississippi school last year early in the season.

yep. Horn Lake, Mississippi. which Johnson Central lost 33-20
would love to see Bell and Highlands just to see how the Bobcats would fare against one of the best teams in the nation....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Whitley Co. vs Ashland ?
As long as schools (and recruiters) place so much emphasis on stats and numbers, you will continue to see the expansion of the "safe schedule syndrome" which calls for schools to play teams you can beat in order to get the stats up and thus get players noticed. Some schools don't do it, like Lexington Catholic and Boyle County and Johnson Central, which will play anyone anywhere. But there are too many 'good' programs which in recent years have opted for safe scheduling to get noticed. I guess there is no way to stop it, but while it allows a few position players to build a rep, it ultimately dims the program. There were plenty of schools in 2009 which rang up great records against ho-hum competition. But not a single one carried home a trophy.
Tica Wrote:As long as schools (and recruiters) place so much emphasis on stats and numbers, you will continue to see the expansion of the "safe schedule syndrome" which calls for schools to play teams you can beat in order to get the stats up and thus get players noticed. Some schools don't do it, like Lexington Catholic and Boyle County and Johnson Central, which will play anyone anywhere. But there are too many 'good' programs which in recent years have opted for safe scheduling to get noticed. I guess there is no way to stop it, but while it allows a few position players to build a rep, it ultimately dims the program. There were plenty of schools in 2009 which rang up great records against ho-hum competition. But not a single one carried home a trophy.

I sure hope that you're not referencing Lone Oak anywhere in that statement. I don't want to make any assumptions, but alot of Tilghman fans dog on Lone Oak's "weak schedule", and think that Tilghman would have beaten Lone Oak this year. I don't disrespect Tilghman at all, but I hope that you aren't so ignorant as some of the Tornado supporters around appear to be.
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:would love to see Bell and Highlands just to see how the Bobcats would fare against one of the best teams in the nation....

Talked with Dudley this weekend. He doesn't want anything to do with Highlands. :lmao:
No I am not that ignorant. LO could have beaten Tilghman this year. IMHO the truly ignorant posts are from Lone Oak people claiming they beat Boyle and were just cheated out of the championship trophy.
Tica Wrote:No I am not that ignorant. LO could have beaten Tilghman this year. IMHO the truly ignorant posts are from Lone Oak people claiming they beat Boyle and were just cheated out of the championship trophy.

Agreed. Boyle won it fair and square. While I myself checked to see if their was a blatant mistake by the refs in calling that game (in which I was unable to tell whether or not Goldsmith got into the TD line or not) there is no sense in whining and crying about it. Both teams played a **** of a ball game, Boyle just played a bit better one.

I do think, on an unrelated note, that we would have beat them had we been at full strength. We went into that game with two starting seniors out due to injuries, one of them being all state honorable mention at DL Chandler Thacker, who got injured against Marion, and the other a WR Clayton Isenburg, who got hurt against Franklin Simpson. And then, when Boyle had only 2 TDs on us in the Third Quarter, we lost another Senior Starter: Houston Hopper at DE. Not sure how many injured players Boyle had going in, but I believe that, with how close that game was, that LO would have won if even one or two of the three injured starters could have played through the whole game.

But as far as being cheated? Thats just being a sore loser.
In 2009, Tilghman had 13 players quit, 2 of them starters. In week 2, a starting WR/DB was lost for the year with a torn acl. A senior LB/FB was lost for the year to a hip injury. A starting RB/DB was lost to a broken leg. A starting LB was dismissed at mid-season. Our center played in agony during the championship game with a separated shoulder. Injuries and departures are obstacles. Every team has them and every team has to overcome them.