Michael Burchett - QB
Josh Craynon - RB, DB
Austin McKinney - RB, LB
Josh Blackburn - WR, DB
Tyler Hall - WR, LB
Cameron Tincher - DB, WR
Zak Key - OT, DE
Cody McCoy - DE, OL

All players started on both sides of the football (except Tincher and McCoy only starting on defense and Burchett only starting at quarterback). That is a lot of skill players to replace, not to mention a big time quarterback.

Here are the notable returning players for the Blackcats:

Joseph Jamerson - WR, DB, K, P (Junior)
Alex Griffith - C, LB (Senior)
Alex Garner - OT, DL (Junior)
Chris Cook - G, DL (Junior)
Trevor Stovall - G, LB (Senior)
Bryson Williams - RB, DB (Sophomore)

Wes Robinson and Kain Collins have good potential, but have only seen limited varsity time. I think both will have to step up in a big way for the Blackcats next season.

The bad news is most skill players and the all-star quarterback will be gone. The good news is all but one offensive linemen returns. Adam Crisp is likely the leading candidate for quarterback next season. He hasn't seen any real varsity time, but has played under Michael Burchett for two seasons. Bryson Williams and Kain Collins, among others will likely be depended on for carrying the ball in the 2010 season.

I really think that we will see the running game like we are used to seeing from Prestonsburg next year. I believe the defense will still be pretty strong with Alex Griffith as the anchor. Jamerson will be a big part of next year's team as well.

Time will tell. A lot of question marks for the 2010 Blackcats.

How does everyone think the Blackcats will fare in the 2010 season?
The short answer is, "Who knows?"

No one expected much from this year's team. McKinney and Craynon hadn't carried the ball a combined 20 times between the two in their previous 3 years, yet they became very good running backs/receivers this year. Blackburn hadn't played hardly any WR in his 3 previous years, yet he became probably our most clutch receiver this year. Tyler Hall hadn't played at all until this year, yet he played a huge role. Cameron Tincher didn't play at all until this year, yet his play probably won a couple of games for us. Cody McCoy hadn't played any, but was a workhorse on the DL.

Alex Griffith hadn't played any OL, but did a great job at C. Alex Garner had very limited experience, but was a staple this year. Trevor Stovall and Chris Cook had not played any OL, but became part of an effective line this year.

I guess what I am saying is that this year, the coaching staff excelled at finding positions for players who had little or no experience. They coached the players up, better than they probably ever had. There is no reason to think they cannot do the same thing next year.

I expect us to go back to the run a little more next year, with our line being basically intact. Max Turner, 275, will take over for Zak Key, and we will return 4 other starters on the O line. Adam Crisp has a great arm, but lacks meaningful game experience. He can throw...but to expect him to make the same reads and plays as Burchett did this year is presumptuous. As far as backs go, Wes Robinson has great speed, but I expect the surprise back next year to be Kain Collins. He is a tank and runs harder than anyone on the team. Bryson Williams will split time between WR and RB, and has good speed also. This year, our skill players were our more experienced guys, with our line being inexperienced. Next year it will be the opposite.

On defense, how do you replace an Austin McKinney? He simply was the best tackler I can recall in recent Blackcat history. He always was around the ball, always made plays, and had a motor that never quit. He will be sorely missed. However, there are a few younger guys that have been itching to see the field, and now is their time to shine. Our DL will be stout, with Cook, Garner, and Turner, plus a few of the bigger freshmen with great size. LB will be solid with the return of Griffith, a tackling machine, and Stovall, probably the most improved player on the team this year. End play will be a question mark, and someone will need to step up there. We lose alot in the secondary, but with Jamerson, Nathan Slone and Bryson Williams returning, and Joe Chirico coaching them, I expect us to be good there too.

On paper, it looks to be a rebuilding year next year, just simply due to the loss of the skill players. However, that is what everyone thought about this year too. More numbers and depth is what would help this team more than anything. Without greater depth, our glass ceiling appears to be a regional championship. If we keep meeting DeSales/NCC at the Semi-Final level, their depth and numbers advantage just is alot to overcome.

There is alot of very good young talent in the middle school feeder programs, and some of the incoming true freshmen could play next year too.

Exciting times to be a Blackcat...Great kids, Great coaching staff, and great fans.
I feel pretty confident in our coaching staff at preparing these up and comers for next season, just as cat86 said.

Our offensive line will return the most experience with four returning linemen. We also return our leading tackler in Alex Griffith and our leading receiver in Joseph Jamerson. As for quarterback, Adam Crisp will have to step in and try to fill into Michael Burchett's shoes. He has the mechanics to be a really good quarterback, but the confidence & experience may be the only thing holding him back right now. Our coaches should have him ready to run our offense next season. I'm excited to see our young backfield in juniors Wes Robinson & Kain Collins, along with sophomore Bryson Williams, who IMO will play the type of role that Josh Craynon played this season. I think we will be running the ball more often next season - more like 60/40 run.

The defense will be fine IMO. Our coaching staff has been great at getting our defenses prepared in past years. Our front 7 will be tough as we return four starters from there and three others (Max Turner, Wes Robinson, and Kain Collins) who started at some point in the front 7 this season. We return one DB in Joseph Jamerson and two others who received a solid amount of playing time in Nathan Slone & Bryson Williams.

Like I said before, I'm confident in our coaching staff to develop players we haven't seen much of and get our boys ready for the next season as I expect us to be a top 10 team yet again in 2A.
They will reload like they always do..
they will be a good team by playoff time next year!
Prestonsburg will be again make a strong run to a district and regional title.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Prestonsburg returns 5 starters on offense including 4 linemen and leading receiver Joseph Jamerson. The defense returns 4 starters and 5 others whom played a ton of minutes and started some.

Key Returners
Alex Griffith
Joseph Jamerson
Alex Garner
Chris Cook

Key Losses
Michael Burchett
Josh Craynon
Austin McKinney
Josh Blackburn

Up and comers will be QB Adam Crisp, RB/DB Bryson Williams, RB/LB Kain Collins, and RB/LB Wesley Robinson. Expect Max Turner to replace Zak Key on the line this next season. Should make for another exciting season for Prestonsburg with a lot of young talent returning.

Saw this post in another thread. Figured it would be a good starting point for this discussion.

As everyone will recall, most expected much less of the Blackcats this year than what was delivered. Unexpectedly, the coaching staff embraced a wide-open offensive style that was a LOT of fun to watch and incredibly effective.

First question...

Do you think the coaching staff will continue to embrace the same offensive philosophy next year or will it revert back to a more conventional attack ?

In other words...do you think Coach D. and staff will have become a "believer" in the new offensive philosophy and try to mold the players to suit that play-style, or will they change the offense to better suit the personel (as was done last year) ??

:popcorn:

Either way, IMO, 2010 brings the risk of a "trap" season. The returning personel may not be as well suited to the wide-open offensive style (IMO). When this is taken with the fact expectations were taken up a couple of notches in 2009, you can see my point..
I see the blackcats as running part of the traditional John Derosett offensive package and part of the passing package from this past season. He will retain a good portion of his offensive line so either way he goes they should be okay.
Burchett aside, I think graduation does more damage to the defense than the offense but James and Joe should be able to fill gaps.
If you're gonna beat P-burg you better do it soon because in three years they will be loaded. Adams had 40 on the A-team roster and when you add the 20 from Allen, the Blackcat will have the full package. Speed, Size, Talent, and depth.
I would like to see us stick with the jet & shotgun as our primary offensive formations and possibly go with the power-I for goal line situations. I'm not sure what coach Derossett will do though, but hopefully its something that gels with our players and their skills and not try to force a formation on them that they will not be able to execute consistently.

Prestonsburg's region will be even weaker come next season as Valley & Corbin lose a lot of senior leadership. But if we played the same schedule as we did this past season I can only see a few possible losses as each of the bigger teams we faced also lost a lot of leadership. One thing is for sure, a lot of the usual mountain powers will be looking for new faces to step-in for 2010.
For the first time in quite a while, I see up to 5 freshmen that could see significant playing time in 2010. Tyler Keens, Grant Anderson, Austin Reahard, Maddie Wright and Weston Martin could all contribute next season. As Hawg stated, the freshman class of 2010 could be the largest in the last 5-7 years with the number of players coming from Adams and Allen.
Completely understandable canoe.
I believe the Blackcats will do great next year. I see a possible Final Four appearance once again.
Who will be replacing Burchett?
^Adam Crisp.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:^Adam Crisp.

I havent really saw him play much since he's been at Pburg. Is he ready to takeover the QB spot?
Reanimate Wrote:I havent really saw him play much since he's been at Pburg. Is he ready to takeover the QB spot?

That's the million dollar question. It would take a great off-season for him to be ready. He is no Michael Burchett, but has a decent arm.

It's going to be interesting.
Is Crisp ready to replace Burchett?---NO, but there aren't 3 quarterbacks statewide who could do that.
Is he ready to play quaterback?---YES, I believe so. It will be an early learning process but he should be settled in by the 3rd or 4th game.
The one thing I have noticed about Crisp is he plays within his skills. He doesn't force passes, or run east west when he is has to run. If the pass isn't there he will tuck it and go straight up the middle.
hawg laig Wrote:Is Crisp ready to replace Burchett?---NO, but there aren't 3 quarterbacks statewide who could do that.
Is he ready to play quaterback?---YES, I believe so. It will be an early learning process but he should be settled in by the 3rd or 4th game.
The one thing I have noticed about Crisp is he plays within his skills. He doesn't force passes, or run east west when he is has to run. If the pass isn't there he will tuck it and go straight up the middle.

That's a fair enough answer for me.
P-Burg will be another powerhouse definatly, 2A State Champs, possibley.
Pride and Football Wrote:P-Burg will be another powerhouse definatly, 2A State Champs, possibley.

That's a bold statement. It may happen though. Time will tell.
Pride and Football Wrote:P-Burg will be another powerhouse definatly, 2A State Champs, possibley.

I don't know. I thought it was a long shot this past year as well. As someone else said above, only time will tell.
Good luck in 2010
The Blackcats lost alot. Want be that strong at first but they do have a chance.
hawkeye Wrote:The Blackcats lost alot. Want be that strong at first but they do have a chance.

That's also what we thought coming into last season.
True but you had a very good QB which made things happen.
what 8th graders will see big playing time next year?
IDK iv thought P-Burg would be down for the past 4 years lol. But Iv been wrong every year.
hawkeye Wrote:True but you had a very good QB which made things happen.

That's true, but Prestonsburg has done a great job at getting their quarterbacks ready for the season with all the passing camps they attend against some of the state's best teams. Also having leading receiver Joseph Jamerson (JR) back will help out up coming quarterback Adam Crisp (JR). I'm not saying that Michael Burchett is replaceable, because he isn't. You don't have a player with that much talent come through every season.

Not many of us expected players such as Josh Blackburn, Cameron Tincher, Tyler Hall, etc. to have the seasons they had. Obviously our coaching staff is turning the boys into men during the off-season and making some pretty darn good football players out of them. Another thing to mention is that our feeder systems are at the best they've ever been. Coach Howell at Adams is producing kids that come in ready to play varsity right away lately and hopefully it continues to stay that way.
Current 8th grader and soon to be freshman Grant Anderson could end up as our quarterback next season. So I don't think Adam Crisp is a shoo-in right now.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Current 8th grader and soon to be freshman Grant Anderson could end up as our quarterback next season. So I don't think Adam Crisp is a shoo-in right now.

No chance. It is Crisps to lose unless he is absolutely terrible (which he won't be)
OldTymer Wrote:No chance. It is Crisps to lose unless he is absolutely terrible (which he won't be)

I don't know, there has been a lot of praise about this kid and he looks to be the future athlete at Prestonsburg, so why not now?

I haven't seen him play, but he seems like the stud in football, basketball, and from I've been told he's best at baseball.

Only time will tell though.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't know, there has been a lot of praise about this kid and he looks to be the future athlete at Prestonsburg, so why not now?

I haven't seen him play, but he seems like the stud in football, basketball, and from I've been told he's best at baseball.

Only time will tell though.

LOL you haven't seen him play but you are making those claims? Being a stud in grade school does not necessarily turn over to high school. He is going to have to adjust both physically and mentally. It would take him being very very special IMO to unseat Crisp (a JR) at QB.