Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trinity 58 - Newport Central Catholic 50
TRINITY BASKETBALL

January 2, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sewell Registers 27 Points in 58-50 Win
Leading Mr. Basketball Candidate Josh Sewell With Team High 27 Points for Rocks
NEWPORT, Ky. – Trinity senior Mr. Basketball Candidate Josh Sewell scored 27 points as Trinity registered a 58-50 road win at Newport Central Catholic.
The Rocks are currently ranked as high as second in the state of Kentucky and are among the top 150 nationally in multiple polls.
Sewell finished with 27 points and nine rebounds. He finished 10-of-16 from the field.
The Thoroughbreds hit their first six shots of the game to help take an early five point lead before the Rocks tied it at 20 at the end of the first quarter. After hitting their first six shots, NCC hit just 10 of their last 46 shot attempts. They were 16-of-52 for the game.
The Rocks defense shaped up in the second quarter, limiting the Thoroughbreds to just six points as Trinity built a 32-26 lead at halftime. Sewell finished the first half with 13 points.
The Rocks extended the lead to nine in the final minute of the game before settling on the final advantage of eight points.
Trinity improved to 6-1 during the Mike Szabo era when playing on the same day as the rivalry matchup between Kentucky and Louisville. Following today’s 71-62 win for Kentucky, Kentucky has won four games while Louisville has won three games in their rivalry series when the Rocks play during the Szabo era.
Trinity returns to action on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2010 when the Shamrocks host Holy Cross in Steinhauser Gymnasium. Tipoff is set for 7:30 p.m. It will be Trinity’s first home game since Dec. 15, 2009. The game will be broadcast online at http://www.trinityrocks.com by Wayne Kraus (play-by-play) and Dave Aberli (analyst).
Notes
• Sewell matched his season high with 27 points. It was the third time he has reached that mark this season.
• In just 13 games, Sewell had already reached the 250 point mark. He nows has 257 points on the season.
• Trinity has won nine straight games. It’s the longest streak since Trinity opned the 2008-2009 season with nine straight wins. It is the third streak of nine wins or better during the Mike Szabo era. The longest streak of the Szabo era is 12.
• Trinity played its second game over a ten day stretch against a Catholic school. Trinity beat Lexington Catholic on Dec. 30 in overtime, 60-58. Trinity will host Holy Cross on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2010 and travel to DeSales on Friday, Jan. 8, 2010.
• Trinity improved to 11-0 on the road this season.
• With today’s 99.4 mile trek to Newport, Kentucky, Trinity has now logged 930.6 miles on the road this season including regular season games and preseason scrimmages.
• Trinity has won two straight games in the series. The Rocks beat the Thoroughbreds 51-38 last year in Louisville on Jan. 2, 2009.
• Trinity played its tenth game in 19 days. During the stretch, Trinity has played just once at home.

Line Score 1 2 3 4 Final Records
Trinity 20 12 7 19 58 11-2
Newport Central Catholic 20 6 6 18 50 6-3
Trinity (58)- Corbett 2, Foster 6, Sewell 27, Dieudonne 3, Armstrong 5, Epley 7, Kupper 8
Newport Central Catholic (50)- Meyer 7, Pangallo 16, Bissler 17, Schmidt 9, Morse 1
Three Point Field Goals- Sewell, Schmidt 3
Trinity just solidifies its position as one of the top 10 in State.
dortonite Wrote:Trinity just solidifies its position as one of the top 10 in State.

I think they already did that. Actually an 8 point victory over a very undersized Thorougbreds team is not that impressive in comparison to the type of competions that the Rocks have already beaten
I disagree as this was a definite trap game for Trinity as NCC is hard to beat at home and Trinity was ripe for a letdown but they stepped up and stretched a 3 point lead with 3 min to go to a final of 8.

Trinity led by Sewell with 27

NCC got good performances from Geissler?(the big man) with 17 and about 15 boards and Pangallo with 14.

Foul trouble again hurt Trinity with Kupper fouling out and Corbett's second half minutes limited with 4 fouls.
Also noted the release, Trinity played its tenth game in 19 days. During the stretch, Trinity has played just once at home.

Even for these young kids, that is alot of games to be playing during the holiday. Part of these games were also coming during the tams final exams. Half of the team is in Trinity's advanced program, making finals week an even more daunting week.
Stardust Wrote:I think they already did that. Actually an 8 point victory over a very undersized Thorougbreds team is not that impressive in comparison to the type of competions that the Rocks have already beaten
I was just trying to give a positive spin to a nice win. I was not trying to compare wins between others on the Trinity schedule. I will limit my positive responses to Trinity from this point forward, your sarcasm reminds me of another poster from NKY.LOL.
Stardust Wrote:I think they already did that. Actually an 8 point victory over a very undersized Thorougbreds team is not that impressive in comparison to the type of competions that the Rocks have already beaten

I agree... I would've expected Trinity to win by more than 8.

loubballfan Wrote:I disagree as this was a definite trap game for Trinity as NCC is hard to beat at home and Trinity was ripe for a letdown but they stepped up and stretched a 3 point lead with 3 min to go to a final of 8.

Trinity led by Sewell with 27

NCC got good performances from Geissler?(the big man) with 17 and about 15 boards and Pangallo with 14.

Foul trouble again hurt Trinity with Kupper fouling out and Corbett's second half minutes limited with 4 fouls.

Geisler is very underrated in the c/o 2011. If not for him being an all state football player, he'd get a lot more recognition on the hardwood. I'll take him against any big man in the state.

Pangallo is tough as well. I tried telling you he was good enough to get his regardless of the competition.
Good win for Trinity in a hostile environment. It's hard to beat NCC at home.
Congrats to Trinity!!