Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairview 51 Russell 41
Final
I have to wonder if fairview is really the best team in the region because i know Russell is at least 4th or 5th.

I would have to give the best team in the region to ashland with those 2 transfers from rosehill
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I have to wonder if fairview is really the best team in the region because i know Russell is at least 4th or 5th.

I would have to give the best team in the region to ashland with those 2 transfers from rosehill

I know you maybe shocked but I agree with you. haha I think it is Ashland then East and Fairview probably tied for second until they play. I wished Fairview had stayed in the EKC and they would have had an early season matchup.
I'm curious as to why either of you believe this way. Not trying to start an argument, just an interesting topic starter.
Great job Fairview
Cope Wrote:I'm curious as to why either of you believe this way. Not trying to start an argument, just an interesting topic starter.

No offense taken. I personally think Ashland guards are the best in the region and with Bonner gone they were in need of an inside threat, and with Gregg becoming eligible that is just what they needed.
Just got back from this one. First, I must say that Fairview's gym has to be the loudest in the region. It's like being at a rock concert. It is a good environment to produce intensity, though.

Next, I think the region is wide open. Fairview looked pretty good, but they didn't really look as good as I expected. To be honest, I think I'd just heard so much about the transfers from Rose Hill, Adams and Terry, that I expected them to look like division 1 players or something. My expectations were probably too high, though. Caleb Collins was very impressive for the Eagles tonight. That guy is good.

Russell played pretty good defense for the most part, but they fall into scoring funks where they can't find a basket. They scored 1 point in the 2nd quarter. That pretty much doomed them tonight. Kyle Skaggs was awesome. It's good to see a freshman handle such a pressure packed atmosphere so well. Since he's been starting since the 7th grade, he should have the poise of Kyle Macy out there on the floor by the time he's a senior. He just needs to get bigger and stronger. Then he can be a dominant player.

Nice effort, though, by Russell against a slightly better team across the board. The 16th region should really produce a lot of close games this year.
Skaggs shot the ball well, Terry had some nice blocks, Collins is the key to Fairview, but Fairview is very beatable but has more upside. Region is down to Fairview, Ashland, or East Carter with Elliot as the sleeper.
I didn't see the game, but it looks like one of three things is true:

Either Russell is progressing faster than most people thought they would have,
or Fairview hasn't really gelled this early in the season - or - a combination of the two.

I think it is the last choice. I think Kidwell is doing a very solid job with the Russell kids, and they are definitely buying into what he is selling.

I also believe that, as the season wears on, Fairview will improve. I know that that is true for almost all teams, but in Fairview's case, I think it will be a very marked improvement.

The season is still young.
Russell has to prove themselves more IMO to be 4th or 5th in the region.
Russell 12 1 10 18 41

Fairview 7 11 16 17 51

Russell (3-2) -- Ross 2, Taylor 2, Scaggs 17, Stapleton 3, Whitaker 2, Davidson 6, Alexander 4, McKenzie 3, Hunt 2.
Fairview (3-0) -- Adams 2, Collins 15, Stai 6, Fannin 2, Terry 15, Jackson 11.
http://www.kentucky.com/945/story/1040329.html
It wasn't pretty but it was a win. Adams sitting out some of the first quarter and the whole second quarter was tremendous. He got in foul trouble early. FV needs his defense. Jackson missed some shots he doesn't usually miss. I think they will be fine once they settle in.
On another note, Skaggs is what kept Russell alive. He was on fire and probably should have been the first option more in that game.