Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Central 96 Jenkins 10
I really feel sorry for Jenkins because they worse off then I thought. Letcher Central had 17 players to score and Coach Hammonds took a technical foul to get Freshmen players out of the stands and put them on the book. There may have been some things that Coach Hammonds could have done to kept it closer but you cannot tell your players to just quit when it is only the second game of the season and many of them want to prove themselves to get more playing time. If something doesn't happen in the near future, I look for the program to fold. Their Junior Varsity also has no bright spots. I wish them luck because they will need it and a big miracle to get their program in the right direction. If heart was the only thing you needed to win ballgames, Jenkins would have a winning season. Unfortunately you need to be able to dribble, shoot, pass, rebound and play defense also.
Has Jenkins been anygood in recent years??? I cant remember the last season they had that was decent.
Poor Jenkins, I hope they can get this turned around in the years to come.
Whew!
Scores like this are absolutely ridiculous. I realize the coach did everything possible to keep from running the score up, but I don't buy that this game couldn't have been closer.

Last year Holmes could've beat Cooper by probably 60 or 70 points but instead won 63-29. They simply didn't take quick shots. They ran through their offense until there was literally a wide open shot.

Scores like this can be prevented. As far as Jenkins, maybe it's time to re-consider whether they should have a basketball program or not?
Let the bashing begin.
Obviously leecoukfan has not seen this yet! Or maybe she just likes to bash KCCConfusedhh:
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Has Jenkins been anygood in recent years??? I cant remember the last season they had that was decent.

They won 9 games a couple of seasons ago when the Puckett kid was a senior. They won about that many games each year he was in high school. Had a couple of upsets of LCC.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Has Jenkins been anygood in recent years??? I cant remember the last season they had that was decent.

They weren't too bad a few years ago, I remember it being a pretty decent game when Logan Bryant guarded his brother Joe who was playing for Jenkins at the time. I think it was Logan's Freshmen year and Elisha was playing as an 8th grader.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Scores like this are absolutely ridiculous. I realize the coach did everything possible to keep from running the score up, but I don't buy that this game couldn't have been closer.

Last year Holmes could've beat Cooper by probably 60 or 70 points but instead won 63-29. They simply didn't take quick shots. They ran through their offense until there was literally a wide open shot.

Scores like this can be prevented. As far as Jenkins, maybe it's time to re-consider whether they should have a basketball program or not?

Time to reconsider whether they should have a basketball program or not?! They are a young team, give them time and they will show you that the program doesn't need to be gone away with!
I heard their gradeschool team has some really good talent, I know that would be a slap in the face to the upper classman, but if they are better, for futures sake, bring them up and let them play now. Especially if they are better right now than the older kids will ever be. Just a thought.
Ouch !! I hate to see these kind of scores, but sometimes it cant be helped. I hope that is what happened here. It is so hard on the losing team to get beat that bad. Keep you head up Jenkins !!
Experience. It's a shame grown men have to put down CHILDREN because they have no life.
WOW!!!:igiveup:
WOW!! :igiveup: Is that the record for the least amount of points scored in a game?!!! So much for Jenkins getting better! I would love to see a matchup between Riverside Christian and Jenkins! That would be a real barn burner!
No need bashing Letcher Central. Stop feeling sorry for Jenkins. They are uncompetitive, and its as simple as that. Basketball games are 32 minutes long, and if the opposing team has 17 players to score, then THAT coach did what he was supposed to. Those 17 players should be free to score as many points as they want to. Fold 'em Jenkins. Stop embarrassing the people that graduated there many years ago, and better yet, stop embarrassing the kids that are there now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LCC's coach could have told these boys no shot until twenty passes are made. He could have worked on his delay game. He could have worked on situation. NO CLASS! Jenkins is a small school. Not only that these are kids. Stuff like that will come back on you down the road.
Jenkins should have consilidated with LCC.
5timechamp Wrote:Jenkins should have consilidated with LCC.
Agreed. :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Hypocrisy of the whole situation is when Jackson City beats Jenkins really bad, there is not one negative post in regards to Jackson City running up the score. When Knott County and Letcher Central beat them, the critics go wild and accuse them of running up the score. I believe the administration at Jenkins needs to look at their program and water down their schedule. My suggestion is not to play any regular season district games next year. Take the last seed(which is what you will probably get) in district tournament. Only play schools that had a losing record this year. When your wins start increasing and the level of play improves, then improve your schedule and get back into regular season district play. I am very impressed with the heart the Jenkins boys have. They work really hard. The frustration they deal with must be tough.
Three years ago, in the district, Jenkins lost to June Buchanon on a last second shot by one of the Stepp boys. Jenkins is a small school so there will be longer valleys than peaks.
Win of loss playing for your high school is fun. So, I hope these kids enjoy the experience,
If Jenkins wants to be competitive--they must start doing what other teams have done for years. That is summer ball, AAU, get a grade school coach that will run the high school's offense. I feel for them, but they must ask themselves if they have done all they can to make themselves competitive. Don't be saying the opposing coach should have done this or that. this has always been a competitive district. You shouldn't expect coaches to do things differently because they are beating a team. In their losses the opposing coaches played all their players and did what they could. But to say they need to pass 20 times before a shot is crazy. These teams have roughly 24-26 regular season games to get ready for District and regional play. i am tired of hearing that they are just a small school with few players. There are small schools every year who are competitive( JBS, Cordia, Buckhorn, Jackson City). Worry should be about fixing jenkins---not harping on the teams that beat them.
Something needs to be done because these kids can't be having fun when they're going out and getting beaten by an average of 78 points each game! Thats gotta be embarrassing to them! And only scoring 10 points that only 1 made FG every 6 and a half minutes!!
The Word Wrote:Three years ago, in the district, Jenkins lost to June Buchanon on a last second shot by one of the Stepp boys. Jenkins is a small school so there will be longer valleys than peaks.
Win of loss playing for your high school is fun. So, I hope these kids enjoy the experience,

I hope the same, but I don't think anyone can have fun or enjoy any sport losing like this.
Don't feel real sorry for Jenkins. I remember their kids cheering against LCC's JV team during tournament last year. Hard to tell kids to let up on a group that openly cheers against you; especially being from the same county.
They have to play there district games at least once to have seeding in the tournament.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
They don't have to play them. The can take the last seed in the tournament.
Time to wrap it up in Jenkins. An absolute farce. Very easy to blame it on opposing coaches, but I daresay none of them would schedule Jenkins unless they were forced. Not a knock against the kids; I'm sure they are all nice, hardworking, intelligent kids. They're just absolutely not very good at basketball, to put it mildly, for whatever reason. As far as having some talent in the lower grades, experience tells me that if you can play a little bit, you typically will go to another school instead of getting your brains bashed out for 4 years. This is making a mockery of the game.
Doctor J Wrote:They don't have to play them. The can take the last seed in the tournament.

Not sure this is accurate....can someone confirm?
Windsprint Wrote:If Jenkins wants to be competitive--they must start doing what other teams have done for years. That is summer ball, AAU, get a grade school coach that will run the high school's offense. I feel for them, but they must ask themselves if they have done all they can to make themselves competitive. Don't be saying the opposing coach should have done this or that. this has always been a competitive district. You shouldn't expect coaches to do things differently because they are beating a team. In their losses the opposing coaches played all their players and did what they could. But to say they need to pass 20 times before a shot is crazy. These teams have roughly 24-26 regular season games to get ready for District and regional play. i am tired of hearing that they are just a small school with few players. There are small schools every year who are competitive( JBS, Cordia, Buckhorn, Jackson City). Worry should be about fixing jenkins---not harping on the teams that beat them.

:thumpsup: