Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 35 John Hardin 7 (5A State Championship)
Final.

Highlands absolutely manhandled Hardin from the 1st snap and the game could have been much worse. Highlands got very conservative the 2nd half and also had subs playing much of the 4th quarter. Congrats Bluebirds on your 19th State Title!
Congrats Bluebirds. See you next year at JC.
Congrats Highlands. i was hoping they would win. Highlands finishes the season undefeated and hasn't lost since Sep. 5th, '08 (Colerain, OH 33-18).

why type of offense does Highlands Run???
Strikeout King Wrote:Congrats Highlands. i was hoping they would win. Highlands finishes the season undefeated and hasn't lost since Sep. 5th, '08 (Colerain, OH 33-18).

why type of offense does Highlands Run???

Nothing special really, it is more of your pro-style system. They can spread you out, but also line up in run it right down your throat. Also, alot of what they run depends on what kind of team they have. Some years they will play smashmouth football and other times they will give you an air-raid. Very well balanced team that you can't key on really anything as they will end up burning you if you do.
Best team in Kentucky HS football... in any class.
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Nothing special really, it is more of your pro-style system. They can spread you out, but also line up in run it right down your throat. Also, alot of what they run depends on what kind of team they have. Some years they will play smashmouth football and other times they will give you an air-raid. Very well balanced team that you can't key on really anything as they will end up burning you if you do.

Thanks. Highlands always has an awesome team.

LCDAWGS19 Wrote:Best team in Kentucky HS football... in any class.

Agreed. :Thumbs: Highlands have tremendous seasons year in and year out. Besides Estill, Highlands is another favorite team of mine.
Agreed!
Don't let St. X or Trinity hear you say that.....whoo! What an argument they will try and bring to the table!
I agree that HHS had the game well in hand. But JH has some nice athleticism at several positions and had some decent success on offense at times. It just wasn't consistent enough to make an impact. Its only TD came on a halfback pass that was double covered by HHS but the main HHS defender injured himself while going for the ball and the JH receiver then made a really nice catch. JH also had some occasional success on defense, especially in the pass rush. Just not consistent enough to keep HHS out of the endzone.

In short, HHS was clearly the better team but JH showed some occasional signs of brilliance. It wasn't complete dominance by HHS, except in the final score, but HHS looked like the no. 6 team in the country and JH did not.

On a side note, I like the way that WKU handled its host responsibilities for the most part. Pretty nice job, especially since this was its first one. But Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium is still better IMO.
Like the three Ohio state finals there was never any doubt in this one.
Highlands almost went into halftime 21-7 after a Fennell fumble and JH drive that ended on the 2 yd line after they coughed it back up. Highlands didn't put the game away until Bardo's kickoff return. After that, JH had the wind taken out of their sails. I'm surprised that JH didn't throw the ball more to try and get back in the game. They were effective with the passing game. Dingle and Savoy were their studs and were slippery characters. Highlands is just in a league of their own this year. AC's cuts and jukes were spectacular and Patrick Towles looked like he was their last year....Nothing quite like this team. They are a special group and have alot to be proud of this year. I was a little dissappointed that they didn't score in the 4th qtr. I guess it was a testament to JH's defense that refused to give up. Go Birds in 2010!

Very much agreed
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...312040097/

BOWLING GREEN – John Hardin entered Friday night’s with the top run defense in the state. Watching Highlands run between, around, past, through and over the Bulldogs, you’d never know it.

Through its first 14 games, John Hardin’s defense allowed just 39.8 yards per game. The Bluebirds gained more than that on their first five carries. And they never looked back.

Highlands gained 304 yards on the ground. It threw just two passes.

• Photos: Highlands wins state crown

We knew they wouldn’t throw the ball a lot if they could run it,” said John Hardin coach Mark Brown. “We really had a great defense all year, but we knew we couldn’t stop them. We thought we could slow their run down.”

“Senior running back Austin Collinsworth, running behind a dominant offensive line, averaged seven yards per carry. Collinsworth, the game MVP, finished with 176 yards.

“We just believed in the offensive line,” he said. “They’ve made whole all year. We watched films all week and we were confident we could move the ball on them.”

That didn’t appear to be the case early on. Highlands’ first two plays of the game – both handoffs to Collinsworth – netted zero and minus-3 yards. Then quarterback Patrick Towles hit Nick Buten on a 16-yard first-down completion, and the Highlands running game kicked in.

“After that, we did a heck of a job,” said senior offensive tackle Tyler Grubbs. “We opened holes. And after we started moving the ball and opening lanes for the running backs, we were confident we were going to control the line of scrimmage for the rest of the game
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...312040096/

BOWLING GREEN – A large banner hung behind the Highlands bench at Friday’s state football finals at L.T. Smith Stadium. In large block letters it read simply: Complete the Mission

The mission, for a group of seniors who will leave the illustrious program as its most accomplished class, was accomplished. And it was accomplished emphatically.

Highlands won its third straight Class 5A state title with a 35-7 victory over John Hardin in front of 6,695 fans.

• Photos: Highlands wins state crown

“It feels great,” said Highlands senior defensive lineman Cameron Dierig. “All through winter weights we said we wanted to be one of the best teams to come through Highlands. Every guy on the team bought into that and that’s what makes it so special.”

The numbers speak for themselves.

The Bluebirds, ranked sixth in the USA Today Super 25 national rankings, became the sixth team in state history to win three straight titles. (Highlands also won three straight between 1998 and 2000.) They finished the season with a 15-0 record, becoming the 12th undefeated team in program history. (Highlands leads the state in that category.) They gave head coach Dale Mueller his eighth state title (tying him with two others as the state leader). They haven’t lost to an in-state opponent in three years, a streak that reached 41 games Friday night.

And they’re bringing a record-tying 19th state title back to Fort Thomas.

“This means a whole lot for all of us,” Mueller said. “These guys are so great, really because they stand on the shoulders of all the guys who have been Highlands football players. Their leadership is going to supply it for other guys.”

Highlands’ current seniors finish their three-year varsity career with a 44-1 record
Highlands 35, John Hardin 7
Highlands 7 14 14 0--35
John Hardin 0 0 0 7-- 7

H – Collinsworth 8 run (Weinel kick)
H – Collinsworth 12 run (Weinel kick)
H – Collinsworth 4 run (Weinel kick)
H – Bardo 98 kick return (Weinel kick)
H – Towles 11 run (Weinel kick)
JH – Harness 35 pass from Simmons (Harber kick)

Records: JH 14-1, H 15-0
Congrats Highlands on another state title. This just might be the greatest team in Kentucky high school football history. Two wins over two top 10 Ohio D-1 teams (Withrow, St. X). A number #6 national ranking. I think you can make that argument for Highlands. Has any team from KY been ranked this high in a national poll?
tezzy859 Wrote:Congrats Highlands on another state title. This just might be the greatest team in Kentucky high school football history. Two wins over two top 10 Ohio D-1 teams (Withrow, St. X). A number #6 national ranking. I think you can make that argument for Highlands. Has any team from KY been ranked this high in a national poll?

Only nationally ranked team in Kentucky yet still ranked #2 in the Lit ratings.:HitWall:
and you're surprised?
tradition Wrote:Only nationally ranked team in Kentucky yet still ranked #2 in the Lit ratings.:HitWall:

Neither Lit or Cantrell take into account out of state games, so the X beating X and the HHS beating X don't count! :please:

USA Today Super 25 #1 won last night, #4 lost and #'s 2, 3 and 5 play today.

That gives the Birds a great chance to finish in the top 5 in the nation and #2 in Kentucky.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2009/12...ekend.html
Gee whiz, let me think, tops in the nation or tops in Ky? I'll take a national ranking....:thatsfunn
How about this Patrick Towles kid? What a story. Many posters on this site were rather critical of him. I think he proved his value to this team. He's one of the most important parts to the success of this team.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:How about this Patrick Towles kid? What a story. Many posters on this site were rather critical of him. I think he proved his value to this team. He's one of the most important parts to the success of this team.

He averaged nearly 10 yards a carry last night and the pass he completed when it was third and 13 early in the game was a big play. He should be fun to watch for the next 2 years.
The Highlands offensive line is so good they'd make Mr. Kimball into a star! My point is this team is a complete unit and all parts were equally responsible for bringing home #19. If anyone begs to differ, so be it. That offensive line will be sorely missed. Beastly, I tell you, beastly!!!!!
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:The Highlands offensive line is so good they'd make Mr. Kimball into a star! My point is this team is a complete unit and all parts were equally responsible for bringing home #19. If anyone begs to differ, so be it. That offensive line will be sorely missed. Beastly, I tell you, beastly!!!!!

lol!!! :biggrin:

:Thumbs::Thumbs:
NCC41 Wrote:He averaged nearly 10 yards a carry last night and the pass he completed when it was third and 13 early in the game was a big play. He should be fun to watch for the next 2 years.

:Thumbs::worthy:
How long until August?TongueirateSho

How many championships make up a "dynasty"?

I'm guessing 19
(Someone I was sitting with suggested that this could have been spelled "DIE-NASTY".)
Mark Brown the Head Coach at John Hardin has quitely become one of the best coaches in Kentucky. He turned around the program at Marion County in the 80's He took Nelson County to the state title game and now John Hardin. He is a great coach who does things right. He builds his teams around a solid defense. My best high school football memories are of my senior year when Mark took over as head coach at MC. after 0-3 start we won 7 in a row and made the playoffs. He is one of the best head coaches in the state.
baseline Jumper Wrote:Mark Brown the Head Coach at John Hardin has quitely become one of the best coaches in Kentucky. He turned around the program at Marion County in the 80's He took Nelson County to the state title game and now John Hardin. He is a great coach who does things right. He builds his teams around a solid defense. My best high school football memories are of my senior year when Mark took over as head coach at MC. after 0-3 start we won 7 in a row and made the playoffs. He is one of the best head coaches in the state.

Brown's record speaks for itself and he is a very good coach.

However, the antics of his John Hardin teams has tarnished my opinion of the type of program he has built with the Bulldogs. Winning...yes. Class...NO.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:The Highlands offensive line is so good they'd make Mr. Kimball into a star! My point is this team is a complete unit and all parts were equally responsible for bringing home #19. If anyone begs to differ, so be it. That offensive line will be sorely missed. Beastly, I tell you, beastly!!!!!

Enjoyed watching the Highlands Oline. They execute to perfection.:Cheerlead:Clap:
Once again Highlands is on a totally different level. Congrats and should we just go ahead and give congrats for next year and number 20 as well?
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
Thunder Lips Wrote:Brown's record speaks for itself and he is a very good coach.

However, the antics of his John Hardin teams has tarnished my opinion of the type of program he has built with the Bulldogs. Winning...yes. Class...NO.

Really? They seemed to handle themselves fairly well on Friday night. (With one exception late in the game.) I'm assuming you are speaking of earlier in the playoffs or regular season?