Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Facilities!
Any team going to make new changes to there field next year? I know P-burg was trying to get money for turf field, but don't know how far that has gone. Anyone else trying to do fundraiser for nicer field, or just nicer add ones to the ones they already have?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
We are getting a new press box and sound system for next year.
That is cool!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

They put down a new field got, new lights, made the bleachers wheel chair accesable, and put up a Sign that reads "Welcome to the ville" over the last couple of years so these are the finishing touches.
I am glad for you guys.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Boyle County is trying to secure funds for a new (and much needed) turf field. Popular opinion is that we will indeed have a new turf field in place before next season.

:Thumbs:
Sources say from Lawrence Co that Bell Co will be getting a new visitor locker room. Expenses paid through the LC school board.
what happened to the bell visitor locker room.. i also heard that they was getting an indoor facilty
Bell will be getting nothing new that Bells Central office has to pay for. Absolutly no monetary support at all. Our pressbox, which has been discussed on here, is about to fall off the bleaches. It is very impressive that Bell does so much on the field with so little money from board.
Xerxes Wrote:Bell will be getting nothing new that Bells Central office has to pay for. Absolutly no monetary support at all. Our pressbox, which has been discussed on here, is about to fall off the bleaches. It is very impressive that Bell does so much on the field with so little money from board.

How many High Schools are in Bell County? The reason I ask is because there are 4 public High Schools in Floyd County, and as a result the School Board can't (won't) give any funds to Prestonsburg without sharing with the other schools in the county. Prestonsburg has had to do most of its renovations, support, etc via private donations, fund raisers, etc.

Counties like Johnson only have 1 public high school in the entire county, and therefore the Board only has to worry about supporting 1 school. The down side to that is if you consolidate the 4 public High Schools in Floyd County, then we will be looking at a jump to probably 5A.
one
Xerxes Wrote:one

WOW! Is football the only athletic program getting the shaft? If so, that sucks. If not, then what is the excuse of the School Board for not properly funding their athletic programs?
I think there is a lot of schools who are getting the shaft when it comes to funds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:I think there is a lot of schools who are getting the shaft when it comes to funds.

Especially this day and time.
They also tend to forget who brings in the most money into the athletic budget.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:They also tend to forget who brings in the most money into the athletic budget.

:Thumbs:
I wish Breathitt would get Turf!
good grief!! i could go on all day long how spencer county high school(only high school in district 3a) gets nothing from their board.its a crying shame how the school uses the football gate money to fund every other sport in the school.then when time comes the football team needs something the answer is no.this spencer co. team has a makeshift locker room,no lockers,makeshift weight room(all used equipment),has to practice on its game field and has to share that time with soccer teams and the MIDDLE SCHOOL TEAM.its absolutely gross at the way the super lets things be run in this district.the focal point of spencer public schools is the middle school that was built couple years ago.the high school was just renovated and already the new roof leaks and the school is out of instructional classroom space.so to answer the original question,no,spencer is getting nothing new but it would be nice.people around here only want to talk about missing school money and raising taxes.
Green County is getting a new wieght and locker room. They just got new lights this year!
If I was the parents I would do my own fundraiser for the team. If a mom spends $50.00 of her own money on certain things, and after selling those items at games, then the coach can tell her what he needs for the team, and she can buy it for them. So take every football mom, and do that for a year, and there ya go.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Or even better have a football team let people in for free for a year and see how the other sports keep up lol.
GoBlueSC Wrote:good grief!! i could go on all day long how spencer county high school(only high school in district 3a) gets nothing from their board.its a crying shame how the school uses the football gate money to fund every other sport in the school.then when time comes the football team needs something the answer is no.this spencer co. team has a makeshift locker room,no lockers,makeshift weight room(all used equipment),has to practice on its game field and has to share that time with soccer teams and the MIDDLE SCHOOL TEAM.its absolutely gross at the way the super lets things be run in this district.the focal point of spencer public schools is the middle school that was built couple years ago.the high school was just renovated and already the new roof leaks and the school is out of instructional classroom space.so to answer the original question,no,spencer is getting nothing new but it would be nice.people around here only want to talk about missing school money and raising taxes.

Not 100% correct here on a couple of things.

Spencer County's School Board raised our taxes 2% to fund bleachers for the home side ($100K) that are supposed to be installed before 2010. Personally, I have contacted my school board rep and requested that once those bleachers are paid for that the 2% then be allotted towards ATHLETICS ONLY from now on (ie. lights for the SCHS baseball field, upgrade the tennis courts, bleachers for SCMS football and baseball fields, actual starting budgets for all athletic programs, etc.), but that that money NOT just go back into the general fund once the bleachers are up.

Also, SCMS has it's own field. The Middle School team played 2 games at the high school (versus North Oldham and OKH (which was a playoff game)) because we needed the lights.

As for the high school building itself, I couldn't agree more. The $9 million they spent on renovating it was a band-aid on a bullet wound. I wish they would have just saved their money and build a new HS. Kind of like the money they keep spending on Taylorsville Elementary. Why?

Spencer County athletes deserve better. Especially if we realistically expect to keep up with North Oldham, Henry County, and Western Hills (district opponents), much less ever get ahead of them. But then again, you can't shame our school board! Some of them could proabably care less!
When you show you don't care less, eventually it will come back to cause you come election time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

You would think so, Cougarpride. However Spencer County really hasn't had a whole lot of athletic success over the years, and definitely none that was sustained for any length of time (as in there may have been a district title or runner-up here and there in baseball or basketball). Football is still really new out here. I forget it if this is our 5th or 6th year of having varsity football? Nonetheless, we are slowly changing the culture here so that folks understand what a committment, and BENEFIT, having football is/can be for this community.

Our middle school program (not bragging here) has done fairly well. We have sent players to FBU's national all-star game (last year) and now 4 players to the KMSFA Kentucky all-state game this year. We have had winning seasons every year except the first year we started (5 years ago) and have been to our conference's championship the past 3 years in a row.

Our high school program is on its 4 Head Coach in our brief history. Not that this is a bad place to work or live. I just think that the situation hasn't been perfect for the first 3 guys. The HC we have now is a Spencer County native. He seems to want to be here for the long haul. As with any young coach, there are bumps in the road and learning curves to navigate, but before long we will (hopefully) be cruising the right way.

Football is definitely a year-round sport. The season may be played in the late summer and fall, but the preparations (in my opinion) never stop.

On a last note here, I actually had one of our school board members tell me when we were discussing our high school's facility, "well, if we didn't HAVE football we wouldn't have football problems, now would we?". I asked her if she realized how many other students benefited from a Friday football game (cheerleaders, dance team, band, etc.). I then asked her to name any other event in our little community that brought 2000+ people out without it being a holiday. She walked away.......

Again, good luck to all of you guys. We are fighting our battle here - one step at a time! Any advice is certainly welcome!
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Sources say from Lawrence Co that Bell Co will be getting a new visitor locker room. Expenses paid through the LC school board.

funny you prick
I think we could generate even more revenue if we did like Belfry did, and have advertisement signs on the fences. A annual payment to keep them up there. I know they bring in more money with the Jumbotron, but I think not all people can afford what they ask, so they might can pay a little less to have a sign on the fence.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I don't think it will be long before you start to see a lot of the commercial sponsorship that you see at the college and professional level in the high school game. I do not think it is a bad idea. If a local company or local branch of a larger company wants to get their name out there then I personally wouldn't have a problem in an agreement between the school and such a company that would result in better facilities for the athletes. Take, for example, the rather large Pine Mountain Lumber sign above the cougar tron at Letcher Central
Have they ever thought about using the fences? In the future we could have a indoor practice facility and whoever helps in the funding it could be named after them like UK did with Nutter, and Craft center. Just dreaming even though it probably won't happen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

spencer co. is trying to gain alot of local support from local businesses but there are't too many out there to begin with.most sports use the fences to hang sponsor signs and the football program started a corporate program this year and from what i can tell it was a sucess.although i have no idea how much they raised or what they charged.i do like the idea of not charging money and let the other sports feel the effect,or even the administration see the shortcomings.i dont however like the player's mom spending 50.00 then forwarding the returns to the program.its an idea but i dont see everyone buying into it and could easily see some parents really carrying the load.that could lead to some bigger issues that no team needs to deal with.but i do like hearing others ideas and thoughts on how money is raised.
GoBlueSC Wrote:spencer co. is trying to gain alot of local support from local businesses but there are't too many out there to begin with.most sports use the fences to hang sponsor signs and the football program started a corporate program this year and from what i can tell it was a sucess.although i have no idea how much they raised or what they charged.i do like the idea of not charging money and let the other sports feel the effect,or even the administration see the shortcomings.i dont however like the player's mom spending 50.00 then forwarding the returns to the program.its an idea but i dont see everyone buying into it and could easily see some parents really carrying the load.that could lead to some bigger issues that no team needs to deal with.but i do like hearing others ideas and thoughts on how money is raised.

What I was saying is like if I was a athlete, and my mom could sell things at the concession, and then the profits would go to the football team. The boosters would give her the money, and she herself would go and get what the coaches need. That is how you keep it in one sport. Just a idea!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!