Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clark County 74 Holmes 60 (scrimmage)
Clark Co won the first half 40-28. Also won the second half 34-32. Over all score:
Clark Co 74
Holmes 60

This showes that Clark Co is a contender for the state title this year, if they can stay healthy.
Gold Charger Wrote:Clark Co won the first half 40-28. Also won the second half 34-32. Over all score:
Clark Co 74
Holmes 60

This shows that Clark Co is a contender for the state title this year, if they can stay healthy.

Congrats to Clark County on the good showing, but be prepared to feel the wrath of some of the NKY faithful who think Holmes is untouchable force.

To be fair it was just a scrimmage game, but I don't think anybody is going to roll over and play dead for Holmes this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gold Charger Wrote:Clark Co won the first half 40-28. Also won the second half 34-32. Over all score:
Clark Co 74
Holmes 60

This showes that Clark Co is a contender for the state title this year, if they can stay healthy.

Holmes looked bad in pre-season last year.....
Stats from the game:

Clark Co
Stenzel- 22
Daniels- 16
Purvis- 15
Zollo- 10
Rogers- 8
Kendred- 2
Van Cleve- 1

Holmes
Pittman- 21
J. Johnson- 15
R. Johnson- 7
Avery- 6
Mayfield- 6
McClendon- 5
Slusher- 2
Stardust Wrote:Holmes looked bad in pre-season last year.....

I still think Holmes is the favorite to win it all, but they will be challenged by a few teams.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I still think Holmes is the favorite to win it all, but they will be challenged by a few teams.

:Thumbs: Agreed

They will lose games this year, no doubt. They lost to a Boone County team last year in the heat of the season, and played several close scored games down the stretch before kicking it in for the Playoff stretch. Basketball is just too long of a season to go undefeated. They have a big-time schedule, impossible to maintain the same level of intensity throughout the season. For a team that just won the title last year, and is expected to win it all again this year, preseason means nothing to them. Coach will have problems with that, but I'm sure it will be a difficult sell to the players. They have nothing to prove.

As for GRC, they are trying to prove to everyone that they are legit this year. For them, this game was just as important as a February game.
A few thoughts/notes from the game:

Clark Co:

- The Cards only played their top 7 in the first half but in the second half Fatkin, Skinner, and #34 saw a few minutes too.

- Stenzel had a very nice game offensively, doing it all. He slashes very well and showed a nice stroke from outside and a very good mid range game. Stenzel also had a nice two hand dunk on a break away over a Holmes defender.

- Jaylen Daniel also impressed me from Clark Co. He scored 6 straight at one point in the second half to bring GRC back from a 29-21 deficit. He rebounded well and was very aggressive around the rim.

- Zollo struggled defensively guarding Pittman, but offensively had a nice game and showed a nice stroke from outside for his size. He was who got the Cards going early when they were struggling shooting the ball. He got several offensive rebounds and putbacks, as did Purvis.

- Speaking of Purvis, he has a nice touch from outside and is every bit of 6'8. He rebounds very well and is aggressive around the rim when he has the ball.

- Corey Rogers struggled some, but that's to be expected as he is just getting back from football.

Overall, I was impressed with Clark Co. They have a very solid ball club and are a legit top 5 teams. They're every bit of what they've been hyped to be in the preseason.

Holmes:

- Ricardo Johnson hurt his ankle early in the first period and didn't play the rest of the game. He was in the locker room until right before halftime when he walked back out to sit on the bench but had a slight limp. Not having him in the lineup really hurt the Dogs as nobody could guard Stenzel and they had to use smaller kids on him.

- Elijah Pittman was a man among boys tonight on the offensive end. He had 4 or 5 dunks, including one over Zollo and another over Purvis...posterized versions. Also had several offensive rebounds that led to dunks. Struggled a bit from outside but he was the leader for the Dogs tonight. If he plays like he did tonight, I don't see anyone stopping him. He has gotten considerably bigger since last year and I think he's bigger than the 6'8 that he's listed at. Standing next to Zollo, he looked to be slightly bigger.

- Jeremiah Johnson had a quiet, solid game. He hit the boards hard at both ends of the floor but needs to become more aggressive on the offensive end. He is good enough to take over a game but is too unselfish too.

- Avery is going to be very valuable to the Dogs this year. He played 3 different positions and played almost the whole game. His defense needs to improve but offensively he provides a nice outside threat for the Dogs.

- Holmes used the following starting lineup: Pittman, Avery, R. Johnson, J. Johnson, and Slusher. Not sure why, but Rice didn't start for the Dogs. Holmes used 10 different players. Outside of the starting 5, they also used Mayfield, Hayes, Mcclendon, Herndon, and Rice. I'd expect Henley to use a 8 or 9 man rotation this year without much of a dropoff. When Holmes built the 29-21 lead in the second half, the Dogs had Mayfield, Hayes, Mcclendon, Pittman, and Rice out on the floor. The smaller, quicker lineup really gave the Cards fits.

- Holmes needs to improve at the defensive end but that should be improved by the start of the season. Holmes lost to Tates Creek last year in their first scrimmage by a similar score and ended up beating the Commodores by 26 two weeks later when they played in the regular season.

Overall, Holmes needs to improve in certain areas but I wouldn't look too much in to this scrimmage considering they used a consistent 10 man rotation and played practically the whole game without state tournament MVP, Ricardo Johnson.

I expect both teams to have great seasons this year and to be at Rupp Arena come March.
Great recap
Stardust Wrote:Holmes looked bad in pre-season last year.....

GRC did too. Just lost Purvis for the year 3 days before the first scrimmage.
Stardust Wrote::Thumbs: Agreed

They will lose games this year, no doubt. They lost to a Boone County team last year in the heat of the season, and played several close scored games down the stretch before kicking it in for the Playoff stretch. Basketball is just too long of a season to go undefeated. They have a big-time schedule, impossible to maintain the same level of intensity throughout the season. For a team that just won the title last year, and is expected to win it all again this year, preseason means nothing to them. Coach will have problems with that, but I'm sure it will be a difficult sell to the players. They have nothing to prove.

As for GRC, they are trying to prove to everyone that they are legit this year. For them, this game was just as important as a February game.

Bulls Eye is on thier back by being defending state champs. They have to bring it every game.

GRC too has a very tuff schedule, they too will take some lumps. But expect to see both teams make a strong showing for the state title.

Great start for the Cards. Will be hard for many teams to contend with GRC's height.
Gold Charger Wrote:GRC did too. Just lost Purvis for the year 3 days before the first scrimmage.

Bulls Eye is on thier back by being defending state champs. They have to bring it every game.

GRC too has a very tuff schedule, they too will take some lumps. But expect to see both teams make a strong showing for the state title.

Great start for the Cards. Will be hard for many teams to contend with GRC's height.

Should dominate the 10th region this year. Mason Co (without Pawsatt) and Scott are not in GRC's league this year. Campbell County has lost two of their best players. Montgomery and Brossart are both down. As long as GRC stay's healthy, they should have a nice run to Rupp.
Stardust Wrote:Should dominate the 10th region this year. Mason Co (without Pawsatt) and Scott are not in GRC's league this year. Campbell County has lost two of their best players. Montgomery and Brossart are both down. As long as GRC stay's healthy, they should have a nice run to Rupp.

Barner transfering back to Bryan Station really hurt Mason Co too. I agree, we have to stay healthy. Don't want to see another year like last year.
I would not read to much into this game. Holmes will still be the team to beat in March! I watch alot of top teams have problems this weekend. They all hve work to do by December 5, 2009 when most kick off the season. New players take time to fit in and some others take time to fit in new roles. Homles is still #1 in the State and top 25 in the Nation.
goldenrule19 Wrote:I would not read to much into this game. Holmes will still be the team to beat in March! I watch alot of top teams have problems this weekend. They all hve work to do by December 5, 2009 when most kick off the season. New players take time to fit in and some others take time to fit in new roles. Homles is still #1 in the State and top 25 in the Nation.

I agree.

Any realist knows that when Holmes isn't using a 10 man rotation and they have their floor general, Ricardo Johnson, Holmes is a completely different team.

Same thing happened to Holmes in their first scrimmage last year. Ric got hurt early and didn't play in the rest of the game and Holmes got beat by a similar margin. Two weeks later, however, TC met a Holmes team with RJ and a set 7 man rotation and got blown outta the gym.

I think GRC would still compete with Holmes with Rico in there...I just don't think they'd have as much success. Stenzel was unstoppable tonight with Mayfield guarding him. Having Ric down low and on the defense makes a big difference.

Clark Co played extremely well tonight though against the group that Holmes put on the floor
alfus21 Wrote:I still think Holmes is the favorite to win it all, but they will be challenged by a few teams.

I agree, and this showes that GRC is one of them. Scrimmages are a learning tool and used to get ready for the season. Holmes learned that they better bring their A game each game as everyone will be gunning for them. GRC learned that they can compete with the best in the state, and are a state title contender. That is what I would take from this scrimmage.
goldenrule19 Wrote:I would not read to much into this game. Holmes will still be the team to beat in March! I watch alot of top teams have problems this weekend. They all hve work to do by December 5, 2009 when most kick off the season. New players take time to fit in and some others take time to fit in new roles. Homles is still #1 in the State and top 25 in the Nation.

Funny you would say this, but put lots of stock in summer ball. :dontthink
No matter if its a scrimmage or not its a good win for Clark County and I can't to see them this Saturday in the Fast Lane Classic at Sheldon Clark.
Clark is solid but I wouldn't get to fired up over a scrimmage
The key for Clark Co in the scrimmage last night were the runs they made. In the first half Holmes was up 26-25 in the second quarter and GRC closed the half out with a 15-2 run to head in to the locker room up 40-28.

In the second half, Holmes built a 29-21 lead but GRC closed the game out with a 13-3 run to win the second half 34-32.

Hopefully these two teams meet again in 3 weeks at the King of the Bluegrass
Gold Charger Wrote:Funny you would say this, but put lots of stock in summer ball. :dontthink

I think GRC is going to be alot better than we all think! I watch Scott County play last night and they looked like sh_t. Coach Hicks played ten player in the first half. So I will never put stock in any game that does not count again. It takes a big person to admit that he or she is wrong. :rockon:

COACHES' TOP 25 TEAMS

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...-attention

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...SPORTS0502
Where was Rice For Holmes????
kywldcat01 Wrote:The key for Clark Co in the scrimmage last night were the runs they made. In the first half Holmes was up 26-25 in the second quarter and GRC closed the half out with a 15-2 run to head in to the locker room up 40-28.

In the second half, Holmes built a 29-21 lead but GRC closed the game out with a 13-3 run to win the second half 34-32.

Hopefully these two teams meet again in 3 weeks at the King of the Bluegrass

This I am very pleased to see. Didn't see this in last years team. Just the opposite, had leads and couldn't put the teams away.

Both Homles and GRC has very tuff games to advance in, but like you would love to see them advance. I would love to see GRC win it all, but if not I hope a KY team does.

goldenrule19 Wrote:I think GRC is going to be alot better than we all think! I watch Scott County play last night and they looked like poop. Coach Hicks played ten player in the first half. So I will never put stock in any game that does not count again. It takes a big person to admit that he or she is wrong. :rockon:

COACHES' TOP 25 TEAMS

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...-attention

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...SPORTS0502

I knew GRC had the talent to be a great team this year. Getting Purvis and Kindred back this year is huge for thier success.
Gold Charger Wrote:This I am very pleased to see. Didn't see this in last years team. Just the opposite, had leads and couldn't put the teams away.

Both Homles and GRC has very tuff games to advance in, but like you would love to see them advance. I would love to see GRC win it all, but if not I hope a KY team does.

I knew GRC had the talent to be a great team this year. Getting Purvis and Kindred back this year is huge for thier success.

Clark Co did a nice job adjusting to the waves of players that Henley was throwing at them throughout the game, especially at the end of the first half and beginning of the second half.

The one thing I could see them having trouble with though is players who have size and can play both inside and out like Pittman. Both Purvis and Zollo struggled against him on both ends of the floor.

After seeing both teams last night though, I really like their chances against any team they play against, in state or out of state. Hopefully both win their first two games of the KOB and meet again in the semi's.

Both teams have tremendous height at this level and are very athletic. GRC is actually more athletic than I thought. They got out and ran with Holmes just fine. The Cards will have to develop some depth though. After their first 6 (Zollo, Stenzel, Purvis, Rogers, Daniels, Kendred), there's a bit of a drop off that other teams can expose if they get any of those guys in foul trouble. With that said though, I'd put GRC's first 6 against anyone in the state. Fatkin, Van Cleve, and Skinner should all develop as the season progresses and be ready to contribute by mid Feb.
Peacedomes85 Wrote:Where was Rice For Holmes????

He was there but didn't play much. Not sure why. When he was in there he struggled some and made some bad decisions so Henley sat him on the bench next to him.

I was pleased with the play of Pierre Mayfield. (6'0 jr) He handled the pg duties very well when Ricardo got hurt and had several steals while guarding Stenzel. Needs to improve his strength but he has great quickness.

BTW, Holmes has a HUGE sophomore by the name of David Jones. I believe he's the cousin of Yancy Gates of UC. He's gotta be atleast 6'9. He looked to be the same size as Pittman, maybe a little bit bigger.
kywldcat01 Wrote:He was there but didn't play much. Not sure why. When he was in there he struggled some and made some bad decisions so Henley sat him on the bench next to him.

I was pleased with the play of Pierre Mayfield. (6'0 jr) He handled the pg duties very well when Ricardo got hurt and had several steals while guarding Stenzel. Needs to improve his strength but he has great quickness.

BTW, Holmes has a HUGE sophomore by the name of David Jones. I believe he's the cousin of Yancy Gates of UC. He's gotta be atleast 6'9. He looked to be the same size as Pittman, maybe a little bit bigger.

Thanks for the Info About Rice

I Wasn't Surprised About You Saying That About Pierre Because There JV Team Was Fantastic Last Year So Seeing Some Of Those Players Step Up And Fill In For A Injured Player Is Very Nice To See

I Couldn't Tell You ANYTHING About David Jones...I Am Trying To Find Out More Info On Him But From What You Said He Has All The Tools ( Yancy Gates, Coach Henley, Great Competition At Holmes, Height, And Size) To Become A Great Ball Player:Thumbs:
Peacedomes85 Wrote:Thanks for the Info About Rice

I Wasn't Surprised About You Saying That About Pierre Because There JV Team Was Fantastic Last Year So Seeing Some Of Those Players Step Up And Fill In For A Injured Player Is Very Nice To See

I Couldn't Tell You ANYTHING About David Jones...I Am Trying To Find Out More Info On Him But From What You Said He Has All The Tools ( Yancy Gates, Coach Henley, Great Competition At Holmes, Height, And Size) To Become A Great Ball Player:Thumbs:

Pierre and Chris Hayes both played well. Hayes rebounds very well for only being around 6'0.

I was surprised that Jaleel Gray didn't play any varsity yesterday, From everything I've heard, he's a very talented kid and had a good summer.

I don't know much about Jones on the hardwood but I know he was a member of the Holmes football team this year.
That Is Odd That Gray Didn't Play Much Or At All. But Its A Long Season He Will Have MUCH TIME to Improve And Play
When you are Holmes or Scott County every team in the State is going to bring there A game. So they have to be ready everytime out! So what does it take to be number one? You can not lose in the summer or preseason and when the season starts. All teams in the State wants to be number one. Great win GRC! Keep up the good work!:Cheerlead
goldenrule19 Wrote:When you are Holmes or Scott County every team in the State is going to bring there A game. So they have to be ready everytime out![So what does it take to be number one? You can not lose in the summer or preseason and when the season starts. All teams in the State wants to be number one. Great win GRC! Keep up the good work!:Cheerlead

I disagree with this statement a little. IMO it really doesn't matter whether you lose over the summer or in the preseason as long as you're working on things that are going to make you better in the long run and once the season starts.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I disagree with this statement a little. IMO it really doesn't matter whether you lose over the summer or in the preseason as long as you're working on things that are going to make you better in the long run and once the season starts.

You see Holmes has a Bulls-Eye on them because they are the best team in the State. Everybody is gunning for the best or the number one team. Yes Holmes and Scott County is going to lose some. But when they do it is the other teams Championship. That why I say that Holmes can not even loses a Summer or a preseason game. Watch if Holmes lose a game in the State the other team fans are going to run on the floor. Why because Holmes is the number one team in the State. We will be reading on BlueGrassRivals about what is wrong with Holmes if the lose. Like I wrote before You can not lose a game if you are Holmes or Scott County! The way Scott County looked Saturday the are going to lose some this year. They need someone to step up off the bench. Mr. Rice from Holmes needs to stop quiting the team and step-up a except his role of coming off the bench. It is going to take time! Both teams are new because you have new parts and roles that the players have to get uses too!

Hope you understand! Like I said before GRC need win!
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...the+season

Boys' basketball | Notes and nuggets to tip off the season!

It feel like the season for Holmes is The Whole State of Kentucky VS Holmes!