Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who should be Mr. Football
i would have to say mr.september jimmy chaffin of the lynn camp wildcats because i know for one that he has worked harder than anyone in this state and if things go as planned he will be the first player in lynn camp history to sign with a d1 school....louisville
CatDawg Wrote:Sure don't see much east of I-75.

ya. but im sure there is noone on the voting committee east of 75 either.
45countertrap Wrote:i would have to say mr.september jimmy chaffin of the lynn camp wildcats because i know for one that he has worked harder than anyone in this state and if things go as planned he will be the first player in lynn camp history to sign with a d1 school....louisville

chaffin is good player too. no way he would be consider either. wrong part of kentucky.. :mad:
Probably right TB.

45 hope it works out for him just wish it wasn't Louisville.
They cut of ky at I-75
Micah Johnson from Fort Campbell. But Blume could also be the one to win it, so it will be intresting to see who will win it.
Lets be cut and dry about this.

Blume won't win it because he isn't the best player in the state of KY.

Doug Howard & David Jones didn't win because they may not have been the best players in KY, but playing on the same team hurt both of them more than anything. After all, David did turn out to be the best player on the field during the KY/TN all-star game, a game in which Howard wasn't even invited to.:confused: Still trying to figure that out.

My point is that neither Howard, Jones, West, Parker, Robbins, Pulley, or any player in the last 5 years went up against a player like Micah Johnson for this award. He is HANDS DOWN the best football player in the state. But as I said earlier, I've heard from many that he as a really bad attitude so I would vote for the 2nd best ballplayer in the state and that is Justin Burke of Lexington Catholic.

Tim Couch would have had a hard, hard time beating out Micah Johnson, and I'm not joking at all. I've seen hime play quite a bit and he is that good.
HappyGilmore Wrote:Lets be cut and dry about this.

Doug Howard & David Jones didn't win because they may not have been the best players in KY, but playing on the same team hurt both of them more than anything. After all, David did turn out to be the best player on the field during the KY/TN all-star game, a game in which Howard wasn't even invited to.:confused:

My point is that neither Howard, Jones, West, Parker, Robbins, Pulley, etc. went up against a player like Micah Johnson. He is HANDS DOWN the best football player in the state. But as I said earlier, I've heard from many that he as a really bad attitude so I would vote for the 2nd best ballplayer in the state and that is Justin Burke of Lexington Catholic.

Tim Couch would have had a hard, hard time beating out Micah Johnson.

is the micha johnson going to UK?
toolbox Wrote:is the micha johnson going to UK?

Couldn't tell ya. I hope so, but I really believe the only reason UK has a chance is because his brother is there. I think they know that, too.

Oh yeah, Brian Brohm is the only guy in the last 10 years that maybe could have been a better high school football player than Johnson. And thats a big maybe.
HappyGilmore Wrote:Couldn't tell ya. I hope so, but I really believe the only reason UK has a chance is because his brother is there. I think they know that, too.

Oh yeah, Brian Brohm is the only guy in the last 10 years that maybe could have been a better high school football player than Johnson. And thats a big maybe.

he certainly may be happygilmore. But the argument I was making earlier is that kids from Eky always get overlooked. That really bothers me. Just like when you said the that howard didnt get to play in the ky vs tn allstar game. Which i thought was wrong. He was hands down deserving of that. 2 state chmpionships and a work horse to boot. Instead he has to settle for hatfield/mccoy bowl which really doenst have that much prestige for a player of his caliber.. Just really bothers me.
Micha Johnson is he that good, thats funny i havent heard anything about him all year,
toolbox Wrote:he certainly may be happygilmore. But the argument I was making earlier is that kids from Eky always get overlooked. That really bothers me. Just like when you said the that howard didnt get to play in the ky vs tn allstar game. Which i thought was wrong. He was hands down deserving of that. 2 state chmpionships and a work horse to boot. Instead he has to settle for hatfield/mccoy bowl which really doenst have that much prestige for a player of his caliber.. Just really bothers me.

I agree with you that it is more difficult to win if you are from EKY.

Why? I have no idea.

Couch set the national passing yardage record & Scotty Russell became the states all-time leading rusher in route to winning the Mr. Football award. Those are pretty big accomplishments and the voting was still close in Russell's case.

To win and be from EKY you have to go above and beyond fantastic stats. You have to break unbreakable records, leave no doubt in anyone's mind that you are the best player in the state, and receive some kind of national exposure.

It seems to be a requirement for KY High School's Mr. Football to be on someone's D-1 recruiting list. Last year we had more d-1 players than at any other time in recent memory. But voters have to remember how D-1 coaches recruit. Its based as much on potential, or more so, than it is whats done on the field.

And lets face it, there isn't a D-1 prospect in EKY this year.
That still doesnt do it Parker from lawrence co set national and state records and still had no shot.
batpuff Wrote:That still doesnt do it Parker from lawrence co set national and state records and still had no shot.

I'm all out of answers.:Hammer3:

Who did win it during Parker's senior year? For some reason I can't remember.
it was like dennis johnson, the big guy from highlands (LOL) or travis atwell cant remember myself
batpuff Wrote:it was like dennis johnson, the big guy from highlands (LOL) or travis atwell cant remember myself

OK....Lets look at this.

Travis Atwell.......Accounted for 72 TDs in one season. Unrealistic numbers and hard not to give him Mr. Football.

Derek Smith........I am assuming he was the big guy from Highlands, or maybe it was Lorenzen, but both were being heavily recruited by numerous D-1 schools.

Dennis Johnson........National Defensive Player of the Year. How could he not win Mr. Football in the state of KY?

Not saying Parker wasn't deserving, but those guys would have been really hard to beat out and none were from the Lousiville or Lexington area.

Bottom line.....Its been tough for an EKY kid to win the award for many reasons, but location is the biggest reason, IMO.
they werent east of i 75 either, and i could be wrong on those, but parker was not even given a chance at uk when they needed a rec. that could catch anything, but yet they kept playing those who dropped everthing thrown at them.
Parker was recruited heavy by d1 school just choose to stay in ky., like the rest did.
Quote:
HappyGilmore Wrote:Lets be cut and dry about this.

Doug Howard & David Jones didn't win because they may not have been the best players in KY, but playing on the same team hurt both of them more than anything. After all, David did turn out to be the best player on the field during the KY/TN all-star game, a game in which Howard wasn't even invited to.:confused: Still trying to figure that out.

My point is that neither Howard, Jones, West, Parker, Robbins, Pulley, or any player in the last 5 years went up against a player like Micah Johnson for this award. He is HANDS DOWN the best football player in the state. But as I said earlier, I've heard from many that he as a really bad attitude so I would vote for the 2nd best ballplayer in the state and that is Justin Burke of Lexington Catholic.

Tim Couch would have had a hard, hard time beating out Micah Johnson, and I'm not joking at all. I've seen hime play quite a bit and he is that good.

\

I AGREE WITH YOU HAPPY, AND THATS ALL I WAS DOING WAS BEING CUT AND DRY. BLUME IS NOT THE BEST PLAYER IN THE STATE.
I DONT THINK ANYONE FROM EKY GETS OVER LOOKED, I THINK IF THIER DESERVING OF THE AWARD THEY WOULD RECIEVE IT. THIER HAVE BEEN PLAYERS RECIEVE THE MR. FOOTBALL AWARD FROM EKY.
FOOTBALL IS THE ULTIMATE TEAM SPORT, IF A TEAM FROM EKY HAS A GREAT YEAR ALL OF THE SUDDEN THIER BEST PLAYER IS MR. FOOTBALL.
I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING EKY FOOTBALL MY WHOLE LIFE, I'VE SEEN ALOT OF GOOD PLAYERS, BUT HAVE ACTUALLY SEEN VERY FEW D-1 PROSPECTS COME FROM THE MOUNTAINS. THE ONES I HAVE SEEN HAVE BEEN RIGHT THIER COMPETING FOR THE AWARD.
REMEMBER ONLY ONE PLAYER CAN WIN IT. LOOK BACK OVER THE LAST 20 YEARS AND TELL ME WHO YOU WOULD TAKE OFF THE LIST, AND WHO FROM EKY WOULD REPLACE THEM.
If I remember correctly Parker did have several offers and did have national media attention. Probably not to the point of those in the media belt of northern ky but he did get it.
and he did get the shaft, travis atwell was mr football his seniors year.
If i was voting i would vote blum for a heck of a running season being a d cord worse nightmare.
Wow i think what happened to JC on friday destroyed blumes chance but maybe a birth in semi-state gets blume high on the list not above m. johnson but higher than what he is now
I think he still should be a finalist for Mr football, one man does not win the games. He may play a big role but not one man can do it on his own.
Atwell Was Not Mr. Football Or He Would Have Recieved The Award, C'mon Let Go, Live In The Now!!!
VINCE VEGA Wrote:Atwell Was Not Mr. Football Or He Would Have Recieved The Award, C'mon Let Go, Live In The Now!!!

according to khsaa website, atwell won the award in 1999
I don't know who will get this award, but I hope Ron Blume at least is a front runner for it. He has put up 2000 yards of rushing for Johnson Central, but the stats aren't the only things about this guy that are great. He is obviously a great runner, he can block and he can catch, and if he's not getting the ball on a play, whether it be a play he has to block or a play he fakes a run on, he blocks as hard as he can, or he'll carry out a fake at full speed. He is a classy player and he is also a great leader on his team, and his unselfish style of play spreads to his teammates.

Whether or not Blume will get the award I do not know, but he is definitely Mr. football in my book.
blume or ollinger
atleast they have the credentials to be at least from eastern ky but i have no clue about around the state
Travis Atwell was Mr. Football in 1999, he should have never won it, Parker played wide receiver in a team that only threw the ball 9 or 10 times a game, and still set all of the state and national records he did, come on.