Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WYMT Mountain Top 10 (Nov. 2)
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Buc, I see what your saying, but Belfry had the same amount of time to get ready for the season as Prestonsburg did. Prestonsburg only returned 1 linemen, lost their entire backfield and leading receiver. On defense the Blackcats returned I believe 4 starters from last season. So both schools returned basically the same amount of experience. But IMO, Prestonsburg would have beat Belfry by more than that one touchdown if it hadn't been for the conservative play-calling. I'm not knocking your opinion or the Belfry program, I'm just calling it like I see it.

I always respect your insight and posts. My feeling was is that it was easier to translate the passing game of Pburg from the preseason to the regular season. It seemed that Belfry had little room for error with a new QB and two new running backs. Pburg already had Burchett and several good receivers that had caught the ball the year before.
bucslover68 Wrote:If you think Pburg's schedule compares to JC, then maybe I am misreading something. Also, I would give Michael Burchett the Mountain MVP award, with special notice to Davenport from Bell and Varney from Belfry, and so on. However, if you think that Pburg has anyone that is as good of an athlete as Thomas Varney or JK hall, then we will just have to disagree.

I don't think that anyone has compared Prestonsburg's schedule to Johnson Central's. If they had and I'm missing something then and they simply have a lack of football knowledge because JC has played a tougher schedule than Prestonsburg although, their is a fine line between a 2A program and a 5A program when it comes to scheduling.
bucslover68 Wrote:I always respect your insight and posts. My feeling was is that it was easier to translate the passing game of Pburg from the preseason to the regular season. It seemed that Belfry had little room for error with a new QB and two new running backs. Pburg already had Burchett and several good receivers that had caught the ball the year before.

I can agree with you somewhat and I respect your opinion also. But Belfry has run the belly offense for a million years now and Prestonsburg up and went to the spread after being a smashmouth orientated football team in years past. But I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.

I myself, will be pulling for the Belfry Pirates in the playoffs!
I agree with you completely. I have been saying all year that there is something special about this Prestonsburg team. They have gone undefeated with probably the fewest number of athletes ever bunched up on a football team. Sure they have a few, Burchett, McKinney, Griffith, and Jamerson, but mostly, it is just a group of medium sized kids playing their hearts out every week. They find a way to win in spite of their lack of athleticism. Do they have an athlete that compares to Varney? Nope. J K Hall? Probably not, but these kids know how to play the game. They play as a team, play hard, and are a fun bunch to watch. When you consider how much experience they lost from last year, it makes it even sweeter.

If we're talking sheer athleticism as a team, then Prestonsburg doesn't even belong in the discussion. However, if we are talking about winning as a team and playing the game the way it should be played, well, I don't think there is any team better. JMO.
This thread needs some love. I'm going to try to make nice and say I'm rooting for all Mountain teams in the playoffs. :biggrin:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't think that anyone has compared Prestonsburg's schedule to Johnson Central's. If they had and I'm missing something then they simply have a lack of football knowledge because JC has played a tougher schedule than Prestonsburg although, their is a fine line between a 2A program and a 5A program when it comes to scheduling.

To paraphrase BCF4L. He said, Oh wait, we did go undefeated with just as tough a schdule as JC played. I would have to disagree. You are right in the fact that it is hard to be a 2A school and build a schedule where you are always playing "up". That is unless you are Louisville Central and you play about 6 or 7 6A teams.:igiveup:
I don't understand all the people hating on Pburg now. They have been in the top of the Mountain Top 10 all year without losing. They also played a respectable schedule. Do I think Lawrence County could beat Prestonsburg? Yeah, I think they could win. That doesn't merit Lawrence County being ranked ahead of Pburg. Pburg played a tougher schedule while both went undefeated. Their ranking is deserving. I feel Lawrence County played a tougher schedule than Somerset though. Regardless, playoffs are here and Lawrence County will need to beat the best team in the Mountain Top 10 to get the respect they've wanted.
cat86 Wrote:I agree with you completely. I have been saying all year that there is something special about this Prestonsburg team. They have gone undefeated with probably the fewest number of athletes ever bunched up on a football team. Sure they have a few, Burchett, McKinney, Griffith, and Jamerson, but mostly, it is just a group of medium sized kids playing their hearts out every week. They find a way to win in spite of their lack of athleticism. Do they have an athlete that compares to Varney? Nope. J K Hall? Probably not, but these kids know how to play the game. They play as a team, play hard, and are a fun bunch to watch. When you consider how much experience they lost from last year, it makes it even sweeter.

If we're talking sheer athleticism as a team, then Prestonsburg doesn't even belong in the discussion. However, if we are talking about winning as a team and playing the game the way it should be played, well, I don't think there is any team better. JMO.

I totally agree. When it all comes down to it, the "team" is what matters and I will give credit where it is due. Pburg probably plays together as a team better than any I have seen this year.
No one is hating anyone. We are just having good discussions about several teams.
bucslover68 Wrote:To paraphrase BCF4L. He said, Oh wait, we did go undefeated with just as tough a schdule as JC played. I would have to disagree. You are right in the fact that it is hard to be a 2A school and build a schedule where you are always playing "up". That is unless you are Louisville Central and you play about 6 or 7 6A teams.:igiveup:
Well then I have to disagree with my friend and fellow Prestonsburg supporter BCF4L.

WildDawg Wrote:I don't understand all the people hating on Pburg now. They have been in the top of the Mountain Top 10 all year without losing. They also played a respectable schedule. Do I think Lawrence County could beat Prestonsburg? Yeah, I think they could win. That doesn't merit Lawrence County being ranked ahead of Pburg. Pburg played a tougher schedule while both went undefeated. Their ranking is deserving. I feel Lawrence County played a tougher schedule than Somerset though. Regardless, playoffs are here and Lawrence County will need to beat the best team in the Mountain Top 10 to get the respect they've wanted.

Excellent point.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I can agree with you somewhat and I respect your opinion also. But Belfry has run the belly offense for a million years now and Prestonsburg up and went to the spread after being a smashmouth orientated football team in years past. But I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.

I myself, will be pulling for the Belfry Pirates in the playoffs!

Oh yea, the belly is nothing new. It's just that new characters in a familiar play sometimes struggle with their roles. Combine that with Belfry notorioulsy being a "slow starting" team and Pburg shredding them with that slick offense, it was going to be a struggle for the Pirates.
I even have to agree with WildDawg that Somereset played an overall weak schedule. Other than games against Pulaski County and Knox Central(average teams at best), they didn't face much competition.
Looks like you have everything under control BCA, my presence isn't needed.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:No one is getting defensive but you big boy. You are the one that continues to beat the dead horse there Playboy. Who called you a P'burg hater? I don't think anyone did. I guess that's just part of your defensive shield. What's the need for the curse words and all the jazz? I didn't know we was that into it. :biggrin:

Listen here big boy, my initial post that you're whining about wasn't even directed toward you to begin with. You're jumping down my throat for something that doesn't even matter. I just like to have a little fun and that's what I'm doing. Lighten up and realize that Letcher Central isn't "the team to beat" right now.

Before you go all sensitive again, understand that I think the Cougars have a fine team and can potentially make noise in the playoffs. I don't really count on it, but they very well can do it. I said in another post that it wouldn't happen, but that was just stir it up a little bit. I think they have a halfway decent shot at making it to the regional championship.

By the way, why bring up Middlesboro? That's the only comeback I hear from you people. I understand what on and off-field mess the Jackets are in, so what? What does it have to do with anything? This the WYMT Mountain Top 10 thread. Seeing that Middlesboro isn't in it, we shouldn't be discussing them now should we?

Listen PB5, just calm it down and try to internalize things a little better. No one was taking a shot at Letcher until you barge in rattling things about Prestonsburg. No one really has taken a shot at the Cougars anyway, just used common sense and basic football knowledge.

Fun arguing with you Playboy. I've not seen a livelier one yet. :biggrin:
For one, little boy, you seem like one who DOES INDEED just like to stir up BS. Everyone and there son CAN READ and has seen that YOU DID QUOTE ME ON WHAT I SAID. Saying that Letcher Central can beat everyone WAS NOT SAID. THAT IS WHAT YOU have taken out of context. Unless you think Prestonsburg IS EVERYONE, because that was the team that I thought LCC could TRULY beat. So keep on keepin' on. Nobody knows who you are anyways on here, so quit trying to make a name for yourself sunshine and get some common sense and FOLLOW A CONVERSATION instead of whatever you are doing. No, I don't get whiny, I just don't like a whatever like you trying to put words into my quotes that WASN'T FACTS. And I would like to apolgize to most mods from Prestonsburg, because whether in high school or not, MOST do a great job for the site. That was uncalled for and I do apologize over that statement.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:This thread needs some love. I'm going to try to make nice and say I'm rooting for all Mountain teams in the playoffs. :biggrin:
EXACTLY! Heck, I hope Hazard wins the 1A, Prestonsburg wins the 2A, Belfry the 3A, Bell the 4A and Us(Letcher Central) or J.Central can win the 5A state title! AND YES, I KNOW HIGHLANDS IS IN 5A before it is quoted as me saying, "PLAYBOY5, for you to say that you are going to go to Highland Heights and beat them to death is insane", lol. You know, like some people do on hereConfusedhh:.
bucslover68 Wrote:To paraphrase BCF4L. He said, Oh wait, we did go undefeated with just as tough a schdule as JC played. I would have to disagree. You are right in the fact that it is hard to be a 2A school and build a schedule where you are always playing "up". That is unless you are Louisville Central and you play about 6 or 7 6A teams.:igiveup:
Nice post:Thumbs:
What I meant by that is pretty well what you said. Prestonsburg playing a 5A or 6A school would be difficult for them. It's kind of hard for me to explain what I meant here. Johnson Central, a 5A school, played the equivalent schedule for their size as Prestonsburg played. Central played the toughest that 4A and 5A had to offer and Prestonsburg played the toughest that 3A had to offer. That's pretty well what I meant by that.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Argument closed my :moon:...This might have been the WORST ARGUMENT IN THE HISTORY OF BGR. And coming from you is VERY SHOCKING TO ME. AS EVERYONE INCLUDING BRIAN MILAM HIMSELF...OUR DISTRICT IS THE S.E.C. of the mountains..So those games are hard enough as it is. Then we play Belfry (yes we didn't win, but any belfry fan will tell you how that game ended, but a loss is a loss), Hazard..A TINY 1 A SCHOOL, LOL..IT IS HAZARD.(Who lost to LCC, Corbin, Breathitt (7-3) and Clay) .Are you kidding, where have you been. If Hazard is a TINY 1A school, then what is Paintsville, Pikeville? Middlesboro who is TRADITION RICH but got into a mess which we had NO IDEA WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, and then Moore which was the only school to fill in because of a scheduling conflict. Really shocking post that wasn;t intended to you anyways. Talk about Prestonsburg people and the entire middle/high school class (A.K.A.)mods will lash you..So there is your warning..whatever...Find another doormat to walk on, because you found the wrong one..Argument closed,... LMFAO!
When talking about Hazard being a tiny 1A school, they are obviously tiny by being class A. Size of the school was what I was referring to, not the overall size of Hazards football team. Still, by no means is Hazard a powerhouse football team.

But all of this is moot and honestly I didn't realize who I even quoted until I went back in and read it. I apologize for this going to you. I have too much respect for you to lash out at you the way I did. Just got caught up in the moment after reading how Prestonsburg didn't deserve their ranking. Sorry again my man. :Thumbs:
BCF4L Wrote:What I meant by that is pretty well what you said. Prestonsburg playing a 5A or 6A school would be difficult for them. It's kind of hard for me to explain what I meant here. Johnson Central, a 5A school, played the equivalent schedule for their size as Prestonsburg played. Central played the toughest that 4A and 5A had to offer and Prestonsburg played the toughest that 3A had to offer. That's pretty well what I meant by that.

'
Gotcha man. Good Luck to the 'Cats and all the mountain teams.
How does Harlan County get beat by the #1 team and fall completely out of the top10? I believe when we beat Letcher Central they were 6 or 7 and fell to 10.
Alot of great debate on who is best, but come tonight your ranking in the Mountian Top 10 will not win any games. Lets all go out and route for the Mountian teams and be glad football in the mountians has become so grea!
MonsterMan Wrote:Alot of great debate on who is best, but come tonight your ranking in the Mountian Top 10 will not win any games. Lets all go out and route for the Mountian teams and be glad football in the mountians has become so grea!
:Thumbs: