•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Wrong with Paintsville?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Can you blame any kid for getting discouraged and not wanting to bust his every day knowing that they would never get to play? .

This is happening in all sports at P-ville...I bet the Middle school baseball team played only 8 games last year 4 or more against JC...the jv even less...Why not schedule 40+ if you have kids wanting to play...same with basketball if I remember correctly 07 basketball program only had a few jv games...it seems as if there was a girls game before every boys game...Last season there was few more jv games...I dont believe there is a limit to how many jv or middle school games can be played in baseball or basketball so why not take advantage of it and play 30-40 games per sport....football is another story if you dont have #s it would be hard for dress a jv team....
Kiffin was certainly correct in saying that there was a struggle at the ville. I don't think we will ever recognize or establish all of the problems however one problem that exists is that the "powers that be"are interested either the all mighty dollar, self, or a combination of both. You mix this with a little politics and you have a blend that sure stimulates a struggle. We all realize that a 1A school has a more limited bank account than the rest of the classes. On Friday nights when the lights are turned on across Paint creek you can begin to get a picture. Turf field (can't compete with that),stands full of cheering fans (probably could stay in there if we could get more than two bus loads of fans out to a game). "A struggle", brother that may not be all of it.
The problem at Paintsville is that the kids are pretty much babied from day one at the house. If they don't get the ball, then they will complain, or not even play. The seniors try to be good leaders, but the kids in the lower grades don't take them seriously. For instance, I was told the other night in the locker room that a senior was giving a speech to the team, like a motivational speech, and one of the underclassmen was laughing at him. What does that say about this team? Kid's don't respect the upperclassmen, especially one's that produce and do their job day in and day out.

As for the schemes, of course if the Paintsville offense isn't clicking, then it's the offensive coordinator's fault. If the defense isn't working, then it's the defensive coordinator's fault. This isn't the case IMO. The kid's just don't care it seems. I was there the other night, and I saw 1 player talking to the cheerleader's while they were performing a dance. Meanwhile, his defense was in a huddle around coach getting strategies. Did this kid care at all about what was being said? Or was he more interested in making an *** out of himself? People get on to this kid's, teammates and coaches both, and they view it as disrespect. That starts at home IMO. If you can't handle critisicm, then don't play sports. Simple as that.

The past few weeks I've seen teammates arguing with each other over plays not being carried out correctly. I've seen teammates argue over missing blocks. And I've seen kid's be interested in more things than football DURING the game. There is your problem at Paintsville. The kid's just feel like they are too good to be given critisicm. They don't want to take the blame for anything, it's always somebody elses fault. Constructive critisicm goes a long way. IF you accept it as constructive critisicm. If you view it as disrespect, and go home and cry to mommy and daddy, then you've got another thing coming to you if you think your gonna go to college and play athletics and not have to deal with that.

Best of luck the rest of the season.
Pupaw Wrote:The problem at Paintsville is that the kids are pretty much babied from day one at the house. If they don't get the ball, then they will complain, or not even play. The seniors try to be good leaders, but the kids in the lower grades don't take them seriously. For instance, I was told the other night in the locker room that a senior was giving a speech to the team, like a motivational speech, and one of the underclassmen was laughing at him. What does that say about this team? Kid's don't respect the upperclassmen, especially one's that produce and do their job day in and day out.

As for the schemes, of course if the Paintsville offense isn't clicking, then it's the offensive coordinator's fault. If the defense isn't working, then it's the defensive coordinator's fault. This isn't the case IMO. The kid's just don't care it seems. I was there the other night, and I saw 1 player talking to the cheerleader's while they were performing a dance. Meanwhile, his defense was in a huddle around coach getting strategies. Did this kid care at all about what was being said? Or was he more interested in making an *** out of himself? People get on to this kid's, teammates and coaches both, and they view it as disrespect. That starts at home IMO. If you can't handle critisicm, then don't play sports. Simple as that.

The past few weeks I've seen teammates arguing with each other over plays not being carried out correctly. I've seen teammates argue over missing blocks. And I've seen kid's be interested in more things than football DURING the game. There is your problem at Paintsville. The kid's just feel like they are too good to be given critisicm. They don't want to take the blame for anything, it's always somebody elses fault. Constructive critisicm goes a long way. IF you accept it as constructive critisicm. If you view it as disrespect, and go home and cry to mommy and daddy, then you've got another thing coming to you if you think your gonna go to college and play athletics and not have to deal with that.

can't disagree with a word you are saying. But why is this happening?????Respect, adult leadership and etc. Oh yeah how about role models. I'm afraid this situation goes beyond talking to cheerleaders and crying to mommy and daddy. Anyway to the tigers best of luck . End of story
Mr.Kimball Wrote:And then there are some that just dont have a clue to what they are talking about.... lol

Funny when your losing, that's the best you can come up with. I'll have to tell my two JC grad premed student sons that juggle college athletics in with it, that one. I'll bet they didn't know they were stupid. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey, come to think of it. I played sports at JC too. Now after all these years, I finally learn that in the real world I've never amounted to nuthin, too.:yikes:

Did I say everyone that graduated from central was stupid. all i said was that It is much easier to get a passing grade at Johnson central than at paintsville. That is what MOST Student Athletes in high school want sad as it seems, and as for the academic team banners and dominating the mountains as someone stated those are only 10 or twelve kids a year. that has nothing to do with the average student. I hate to say this but I have a friend who went to JC graduated with a C average was a extremely good wrestler that was all he cared about. well he never learned how to read in his 13 years in that school system and they never bothered to teach him. Why would a lazy kid who doesn't care about school work bust his tail to pass at Paintsville when he can go to JC and Play in a million dollar football complex under a excellent coaching staff, and be on the big stage so to speak that he never could at paintsville. That is why the program is in decline. For the athlete Central is much more Appealing.
I would also like to add that With Runyon no longer coaching basketball. and Adkins no longer coaching baseball alot of kids that came to be coached by those 2 greats don't come anymore, and those kids would generally play football to. So i believe that would have an effect on this too. Also I would Like to appologize for my first post on this topic if it offended any JC fans. I am just extremely defensive about my school, and very proud of the succes our kids have.
Pupaw Wrote:The problem at Paintsville is that the kids are pretty much babied from day one at the house. If they don't get the ball, then they will complain, or not even play. The seniors try to be good leaders, but the kids in the lower grades don't take them seriously. For instance, I was told the other night in the locker room that a senior was giving a speech to the team, like a motivational speech, and one of the underclassmen was laughing at him. What does that say about this team? Kid's don't respect the upperclassmen, especially one's that produce and do their job day in and day out.

thats when a coach should step up. I'm sure he has 11 kids on that team that wants to play football...those are the ones i would be playing.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I would also like to add that With Runyon no longer coaching basketball. and Adkins no longer coaching baseball alot of kids that came to be coached by those 2 greats don't come anymore, and those kids would generally play football to. So i believe that would have an effect on this too. Also I would Like to appologize for my first post on this topic if it offended any JC fans. I am just extremely defensive about my school, and very proud of the succes our kids have.

Nobody said the first bad word about Paintsville there son. Why are you saying you were so defensive? You are the one that started the academic superiority crap out of nowhere. Again I stress, you dont know a stinkin thing about what you are even talking about.

By the way, I have a few Paintsville grads that work for me. You all teach how to tie shoes over there? I've had to teach a few along the way little simple stuff such as that too. Got news for you sonny, all of you aint Einsteins over there either.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Nobody said the first bad word about Paintsville there son. Why are you saying you were so defensive? You are the one that started the academic superiority crap out of nowhere. Again I stress, you dont know a stinkin thing about what you are even talking about.

By the way, I have a few Paintsville grads that work for me. You all teach how to tie shoes over there? I've had to teach a few along the way little simple stuff such as that too. Got news for you sonny, all of you aint Einsteins over there either.
I don't know a stinking thing. So you are saying that kids today aren't lazy. That is what i was trying to emphasize with the post. A kid is not going to work his tail off to pass at paintsville when he can go to central and get it easy that is what im trying to say.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I don't know a stinking thing. So you are saying that kids today aren't lazy. That is what i was trying to emphasize with the post. A kid is not going to work his tail off to pass at paintsville when he can go to central and get it easy that is what im trying to say.

I never had it easy and I did work my tail off. That can happen anywhere! I know a few kids that have come to JC from Paintsville University and can't hardly pass some easy classes but were "breezing" at Paintsville. Don't give me that crap that JC is easier. :HitWall:
Eagle Eye Wrote:[/B]

I never had it easy and I did work my tail off. That can happen anywhere! I know a few kids that have come to JC from Paintsville University and can't hardly pass some easy classes but were "breezing" at Paintsville. Don't give me that crap that JC is easier. :HitWall:
It doesn't work that way for everybody but for the most part the classes at johnson central are easier. My friends have a kid that they transferred to paintsville after 2 years at JC she had a 3.5 her first report card from paintsville she had the First F she had ever had. and btw paintsville is on a totally different level of standards we are governed by SACS look it up. to be a member you have to be above the standards of the KDE. also if JC is so amazing why couldn't they even make NCLB standards. I think it was something like 47% of students at JCHS didn't have basic mathematic skills. Paintsville doesn't even worry about those standards we are so far above them. but there is no point to argue this we will never be able to convince each other of anything other than what we think. and BTW I HATE the spread offense.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:All the curriculum at PHS is college prep you don't get away from it so obviously you aren't as smart as you think. We don't have a baby curriculum for anyone you are expected at PHS to be prepared to go to college. BTW you in your immeasurable intelligence proved my point. i Quote "By the way, there are different levels of classes at JCHS, just like I am sure there are different levels of classes at PHS, depending on what your future intentions are" you can get out of hard classes easy at central that is why the athletes would rather go there.

Look, I don't know what you are trying to say but all I do know is that I just probably read the biggest bunch of crap I've ever seen in my life. I'm a Paintsville grad (Top 10 in my senior class) and you really are embarrassing yourself and all those that took pride in the blue and white. I work at Johnson Central now and wouldn't trade that for anything in the world right now, and I can assure you that all curriculum is based upon college prep. That's why the state has issued guidelines and require certain things to be taught each year in each subject. JC offers many AP level courses, shoot I spent two weeks in training this summer for AP level things to teach. You want to say it's easy? How do students have it easy? Try going down the halls and look at the Governor's Cup trophies or all the other awards that we have won academicly. To say athletes go to have a free pass is just flat out dumb, and probably a good reflection of your overall intellegence on the subject. From a former Tiger to a future alum, please stop saying garbage...you are giving all of us a black eye.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:It doesn't work that way for everybody but for the most part the classes at johnson central are easier. My friends have a kid that they transferred to paintsville after 2 years at JC she had a 3.5 her first report card from paintsville she had the First F she had ever had. and btw paintsville is on a totally different level of standards we are governed by SACS look it up. to be a member you have to be above the standards of the KDE. also if JC is so amazing why couldn't they even make NCLB standards. I think it was something like 47% of students at JCHS didn't have basic mathematic skills. Paintsville doesn't even worry about those standards we are so far above them. but there is no point to argue this we will never be able to convince each other of anything other than what we think. and BTW I HATE the spread offense.

Maybe she should have studied like she did at JC!:Thumbs:

BS!!!:Thumbs:

By the way, my best friends daughter went to Paintsville then transferred to JC and she learned more at JC. She is now a college student after she graduated in the top of her class!! It is not about the school, the classes, or somewhat the teachers. It is about the kid and how motivated he or she is. I will put the teachers and administration of the Johnson County school system up against anyone, including those at Paintsville University!! :Thumbs:
IRISH4 Wrote:Look, I don't know what you are trying to say but all I do know is that I just probably read the biggest bunch of crap I've ever seen in my life. I'm a Paintsville grad (Top 10 in my senior class) and you really are embarrassing yourself and all those that took pride in the blue and white. I work at Johnson Central now and wouldn't trade that for anything in the world right now, and I can assure you that all curriculum is based upon college prep. That's why the state has issued guidelines and require certain things to be taught each year in each subject. JC offers many AP level courses, shoot I spent two weeks in training this summer for AP level things to teach. You want to say it's easy? How do students have it easy? Try going down the halls and look at the Governor's Cup trophies or all the other awards that we have won academicly. To say athletes go to have a free pass is just flat out dumb, and probably a good reflection of your overall intellegence on the subject. From a former Tiger to a future alum, please stop saying garbage...you are giving all of us a black eye.

Very well put Irish! That is why so many look up to you!:Thumbs:
Eagle Eye Wrote:Very well put Irish! That is why so many look up to you!:Thumbs:

Hey Eagle, I said all kinds of stuff too, ya know. No pat on the back for Kimball?:redboxer:

:biggrin:
Paintsville is very rich in high school sports tradition, but all small schools will run through some tough times. This is when you have to hang in there and keep working hard. Teach the things that are important to the student athletic. Keep working your youth programs with fundamentals, and it will turn around. Do what is right and best for the kids, and hope they have a good time. I am not a tiger, but I am a fan of the young people....
Eagle Eye Wrote:Maybe she should have studied like she did at JC!:Thumbs:

BS!!!:Thumbs:

By the way, my best friends daughter went to Paintsville then transferred to JC and she learned more at JC. She is now a college student after she graduated in the top of her class!! It is not about the school, the classes, or somewhat the teachers. It is about the kid and how motivated he or she is. I will put the teachers and administration of the Johnson County school system up against anyone, including those at Paintsville University!! :Thumbs:
Its BS that they failed NCLB standards really now. Listen all I tried to say is that athletes can get it easy at central like they don't at paintsville and out of that I have been insulted by Mr. Kimball. I presented solid facts and evidence no one seems to listen to you're calling BS was a perfect example. It was on the front page of the Paintsville Herald, how is that a lie Central is a good school and yes the academic team is good IK I played against them back when they started to turn it around. Brenda Porter is an amazing coach I wish we still had her. Look at my post in sections about your football team I always root for you guys you are the other county team. I was at the ashland game cheering for you this year. I will probably be at the game friday. I don't hate johnson central I just think it is easier to sneak by with a passing grade and play sports there. that is my opinion. there is no need to insult someone and be classless in your posts bashing an individual you do not know. And i appologize for anything I said to bash an individual because that reflects poorly on Paintsville High School.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Nobody said the first bad word about Paintsville there son. Why are you saying you were so defensive? You are the one that started the academic superiority crap out of nowhere. Again I stress, you dont know a stinkin thing about what you are even talking about.

Kimball, that's over the line ("how to tie shoes" "sonny" ?!? - c'mon!!). There's few things more offensive than an educated hillbilly who uses language in such a manner.

In this region there are two schools that vie for being "best" academically every year - Paintsville and Pikeville. Central is a fine school, don't get me wrong, but academics is NOT where Central wants to be compared to Paintsville. For the record, I DO know a "stinkin" thing about it.

Now...

I don't think academics have a thing to do with Paintsville's current athletic weakness. IMO, it boils down to a LOT of coaching changes in too many sports in too short a time. Compounding that is fans/parents/alumni that are used to winning and looking to find someone/something to blame (ie..."politics"). It's no more complicated than that.
This thread has brought up some good discussion, but lets try and keep the thread about Paintsville and not Johnson Central. Lets stop with the name calling also.

TY!
Jim Matney.

JC has....
-Great Coach
-Beautiful stadium
-Turf Field
-Brand new locker room
-Great Boosters

-------------

Paintsville has....
-Tradition
-coaching changes coming soon i would think.
I think one of the main problems with the Paintsville football program is Bill Mike Runyon. I played ball for coach when he was an assistant for Brugh but I just don't think what he did was right to the program. He took the team that was loaded with talent just for personal gain and then quit for no reason. I think this lead to a chain of problems with the program because Paintsville was forced to hire Allen whom they really didn't want and then they ended up firing him. I just think Kinner will end up turning the program around if the school system will allow the time and allow him to get the right people around him.
How long??? The guage is going the wrong way!!!!! ie: 5-6 4-7to be,
How long???? The gage seems to be going the wrong way!!!! ie: 5-6,4-7 (soon to be),#coaches,#coaches with any real coaching experience, #players ,#fans at thegame.That's it I'm gettin tired. Good luck Tigers our hearts are with you.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:How long??? The guage is going the wrong way!!!!! ie: 5-6 4-7to be,

Tigers were 6-6 last season.
Help me out. Did we have an 11 game schedule or win a play off game?
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Help me out. Did we have an 11 game schedule or win a play off game?

We beat Pineville at home and then got beat at Hazard in the playoffs.
Ridge Runner Wrote:We beat Pineville at home and then got beat at Hazard in the playoffs.
Thanks buddy had a bad gapper. I'm feelin better already.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Hey Eagle, I said all kinds of stuff too, ya know. No pat on the back for Kimball?:redboxer:

:biggrin:

I am sorry for that! I am so stuppidd! You know that I respect everything you say on here. What people don't understand is that you usually hit the nail right on the head every time but they don't want to hear that. Most live in their only little dream world.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Its BS that they failed NCLB standards really now. Listen all I tried to say is that athletes can get it easy at central like they don't at paintsville and out of that I have been insulted by Mr. Kimball. I presented solid facts and evidence no one seems to listen to you're calling BS was a perfect example. It was on the front page of the Paintsville Herald, how is that a lie Central is a good school and yes the academic team is good IK I played against them back when they started to turn it around. Brenda Porter is an amazing coach I wish we still had her. Look at my post in sections about your football team I always root for you guys you are the other county team. I was at the ashland game cheering for you this year. I will probably be at the game friday. I don't hate johnson central I just think it is easier to sneak by with a passing grade and play sports there. that is my opinion. there is no need to insult someone and be classless in your posts bashing an individual you do not know. And i appologize for anything I said to bash an individual because that reflects poorly on Paintsville High School.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Call and ask them who their source is and then we will talk. All of that was garbage and they know it. They are one sided and that is why I will never buy a paper. They take jabs at our school system anytime they can even if it is true or not. The bottom line is that when I was in school Paintsville had the better sports programs and they had every advantage when they wanted one of JC's better athletes. Now we have great coaches in place and the better programs. Kids are staying put, bottom line.
oneijoe Wrote:Kimball, that's over the line ("how to tie shoes" "sonny" ?!? - c'mon!!). There's few things more offensive than an educated hillbilly who uses language in such a manner.

In this region there are two schools that vie for being "best" academically every year - Paintsville and Pikeville. Central is a fine school, don't get me wrong, but academics is NOT where Central wants to be compared to Paintsville. For the record, I DO know a "stinkin" thing about it.

Now...

I don't think academics have a thing to do with Paintsville's current athletic weakness. IMO, it boils down to a LOT of coaching changes in too many sports in too short a time. Compounding that is fans/parents/alumni that are used to winning and looking to find someone/something to blame (ie..."politics"). It's no more complicated than that.

Tell you what. Perhaps we can swap out for a month or so. See if your as fuzzy nice as I am. Any of yours able to flash some of those college prep enhanced diplomas around? That would be a must. lol

Educated? Who me? Went to Central, remember.

Considering the obstacles that a county system has to overcome, it may be fair to say that they have perhaps, exceeded.

Since we're record stating all over the place here. I know a thing about it or two, as well. But, you already knew that.

Now.......

Academics not the culprit? Thanks for that confirmation..

Rest of the paragraph has merit.

I assume we are not going to acknowledge that the pipeline being shut down to a trickle has had no effect? None whatsoever?
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next