Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Overall State Championship Game Ever Played!!!!!!!!
In the history of Kentucky High School Football's state championships' history with the classes, What do you all think overall is the best state championship played from Class A to Class AAAAAA. IMO overall, it has to go to the 2002 Class AAAA State Championship between Trinity and Male, high-scoring game with two really awesome notable quarterbacks (Brian Brohm- Trinity, and Michael Bush- Male). Trinity would win this one with a final score of 59-56, I watched this one on television, it was an extremely classic for high school football in the bluegrass.
rocket01 Wrote:In the history of Kentucky High School Football's state championships' history with the classes, What do you all think overall is the best state championship played from Class A to Class AAAAAA. IMO overall, it has to go to the 2002 Class AAAA State Championship between Trinity and Male, high-scoring game with two really awesome notable quarterbacks (Brian Brohm- Trinity, and Michael Bush- Male). Trinity would win this one with a final score of 59-56, I watched this one on television, it was an extremely classic for high school football in the bluegrass.

Agreed....
Don't know who they played, but when Belfry won it overtime. I think it was Owensboro Catholic, but don't know for sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:Don't know who they played, but when Belfry won it overtime. I think it was Owensboro Catholic, but don't know for sure.

How could you consider this to be the best championship game ever played if you don't even know who played in the game?
cougarpride08 Wrote:Don't know who they played, but when Belfry won it overtime. I think it was Owensboro Catholic, but don't know for sure.

It was E'town in 2003 when Belfry won on 4th Goal and from the 1.....
2 years ago. 6A finals. Trinity vs. ST. X. St. X had won the regular season matchup and was undefeated. Trinity' only loss was to St. X in that game. Classic, very high level game. Trinity won in OT on 4th down. Trinity's Sam Robey was probably the best player on the field (now at Florida). UK's Matt Smith was a standout D Lineman for St. X. Best single game I have ever witnessed. Later on, I tried to figure out why this game was such a spectacle. First was the crowd of about 26,000 at Papa John's Stadium. But the biggest thing was just the sheer size of the teams. Each team fielded over 100 players. It dawned on me that you never see that many players at any level on the field. Not colleges, not the Pros. Just watching both teams warm up before the game was amazing.
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:How could you consider this to be the best championship game ever played if you don't even know who played in the game?

:thatsfunn

Obviously only one of the combatants mattered. :biggrin:
Breathitts 2002 win over Corbin I beleive it was. Breathitt scored something like 52 points and had the largest margin of victory in the histroy of the state championship.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
rocket01 Wrote:In the history of Kentucky High School Football's state championships' history with the classes, What do you all think overall is the best state championship played from Class A to Class AAAAAA. IMO overall, it has to go to the 2002 Class AAAA State Championship between Trinity and Male, high-scoring game with two really awesome notable quarterbacks (Brian Brohm- Trinity, and Michael Bush- Male). Trinity would win this one with a final score of 59-56, I watched this one on television, it was an extremely classic for high school football in the bluegrass.

I doubt there can be any real argument over that one. It was the greatest game played.

Now we can argue for the 2nd best or so, but that one is without debate IMO.
C.Clair Wrote:Breathitts 2002 win over Corbin I beleive it was. Breathitt scored something like 52 points and had the largest margin of victory in the histroy of the state championship.

Huge blowout. How does that game qualify for the Best Overall State Championship Game Ever Played?

:popcorn:
My personal favorite, but maybe not the best ever played, was the 2003 3A Title Game between Boyle County and Highlands

Boyle County's 44-10 blowout was awesome in itself as Boyle rolled up 450 yards of total offense and scored 37 unanswered points. But the best part was watching the game with my good friend Jerry Gardner (RIP). Jerry wanted Highlands to win so badly that he ripped a hot dog to shreds, threw his hat, and cussed uncontrollably under his breath throughout the game. Of course I made things even worse for him by cheering like a maniac every time Boyle scored.
Hatz Wrote::thatsfunn

Obviously only one of the combatants mattered. :biggrin:

Considering a Letcher Central fan posted it I think that has to say something though Big Grin
2002 Trinity/Male..NO DOUBT..
FWIW, that was an excellent game worthy of contending for the #2 spot and here is why:

- Tons of D-1 talent. Between the two teams there were 4 future SEC starters on the field. E'town QB Chris Todd (Auburn), DE Brandon Deaderick (Alabama), TE Zipp Duncan (UK), and Belfry RB/CB David Jones (UK). Additionally, another Etown WR Jerry Turner was offered by Marshall but never qualified if I am not mistaken.

- Back and Forth game. The game constantly swayed back and forth as there were 6 times that either the game tied or the lead was changed over.

- Explosive offenses. Both teams gained over 300 yards and in completely different ways. Etown did it by passing, Belfry by rushing. In the end though it ironically was the defense that made the difference.

-Come from behind 4th Quarter win. Etown led 27-20 with 11:52 left in the game and got the ball back from Belfry with 6:18to go nursing the lead. It was looking bleak for Belfry until the Pirates sacked Todd and forced a fumble setting up the game-tieing score. E'town still had one more shot but Belfry came up with a key INT with 2:37 left ultimately forcing OT.

- Overtime Heroics. In OT Etown took the ball first and Belfry's defense came up once again with another huge play by intercepting Todd. Belfry then grinded the ball inside the 5 yard line and facing a 4th and Goal from the 1 yard line Haywood decided to go for the TD instead of risking a FG after they had already missed a couple kicks earlier, Jones was met at the LOS and spun into the endzone for the victory.

- History. Phillip Haywood, one of the most respected head coaches in the state, got his 1st State Title.

FINAL SCORE
Belfry 33
E'town 27
EKUAlum05 Wrote:FWIW, that was an excellent game worthy of contending for the #2 spot and here is why:

- Tons of D-1 talent. Between the two teams there were 4 future SEC starters on the field. E'town QB Chris Todd (Auburn), DE Brandon Deaderick (Alabama), TE Zipp Duncan (UK), and Belfry RB/CB David Jones (UK). Additionally, another Etown WR Jerry Turner was offered by Marshall but never qualified if I am not mistaken.

- Back and Forth game. The game constantly swayed back and forth as there were 6 times that either the game tied or the lead was changed over.

- Explosive offenses. Both teams gained over 300 yards and in completely different ways. Etown did it by passing, Belfry by rushing. In the end though it ironically was the defense that made the difference.

-Come from behind 4th Quarter win. Etown led 27-20 with 11:52 left in the game and got the ball back from Belfry with 6:18to go nursing the lead. It was looking bleak for Belfry until the Pirates sacked Todd and forced a fumble setting up the game-tieing score. E'town still had one more shot but Belfry came up with a key INT with 2:37 left ultimately forcing OT.

- Overtime Heroics. In OT Etown took the ball first and Belfry's defense came up once again with another huge play by intercepting Todd. Belfry then grinded the ball inside the 5 yard line and facing a 4th and Goal from the 1 yard line Haywood decided to go for the TD instead of risking a FG after they had already missed a couple kicks earlier, Jones was met at the LOS and spun into the endzone for the victory.

- History. Phillip Haywood, one of the most respected head coaches in the state, got his 1st State Title.

FINAL SCORE
Belfry 33
E'town 27

No problem making a case for #2. Just not #1. :Thumbs:

I recall that it was an exciting finish but weren't there a lot of turnovers?

For excitement, here is one I was privy to.

1987 AA State Title game. Danville vs. Mayfield

*First meeting between the powers and set the stage for their meeting in the state title game four times in the next six years.

*Ads came back from an early 7-3 deficit to lead 17-7 going into the 4th.

*Mayfield counters in the 4th scoring 10 unanswered and tying the game at 17 all while forcing OT.

*Danville scored on their first possession on a 3rd down run by Freshman David Walker and put Ads up 24-17.

*Cardinals counter with a TD on the 2nd Down.

*EP is blocked by same freshman David Walker and Danville wins 24-23!

*Ads have two 100+ yard rushers in Sophomore Donnie Redd and Senior Tim McDaniel.

Exciting finish to first time matchup of two of the Premier Historical programs in the state.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It was E'town in 2003 when Belfry won on 4th Goal and from the 1.....

I was at that game. Very cold and wet if I recall. TongueirateSho
Etown had 3 fumbles and 2 INT's. Belfry lost 4 fumbles.

Does anyone remember the game where a defensive player scored what appeared to be the game winning play on a fumble return, but as he crossed the goalline he tossed the ball in the air? I want to think it was the 94 Beechwood vs. Murray game?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Etown had 3 fumbles and 2 INT's. Belfry lost 4 fumbles.

Does anyone remember the game where a defensive player scored what appeared to be the game winning play on a fumble return, but as he crossed the goalline he tossed the ball in the air? I want to think it was the 94 Beechwood vs. Murray game?
Beechwood QB Greg Hergott ran back into the endzone to run the clock out on the final play. The referee went ahead and blew his whistle to signal the end of the game even thought Hergott had not been down or tackled. When Hergott heard the whistle, he threw the ball straight up in the air and started celebrating. The ball came down in the hands of a Murray defender in the end zone. Of course, Murray thinks they have a TD and a win. After a long meeting between the refs, they ruled the play was over because the whistle had been blown, even though it naturally shouldn't have been blown till the play was "really" over. Beechwood won one of their many state titles.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Etown had 3 fumbles and 2 INT's. Belfry lost 4 fumbles.

Living close to Murray I will never be allowed to forget that 1, one of the few times I ever really pulled with all my heart for Beechwood
Hatz's that Mayfield -
Ads game was a classic
Rebel55 Wrote:I was at that game. Very cold and wet if I recall. TongueirateSho

Very cold....rain, snow mixture all game long.
Hatz Wrote:I doubt there can be any real argument over that one. It was the greatest game played.

Now we can argue for the 2nd best or so, but that one is without debate IMO.

Trinity/Male...Simply the best. Never seen anything like it and probably won't again in my lifetime.....
1995 and 1996 2A was very good. One decided in multiple overtimes and one in the late 4th quarter.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:My personal favorite, but maybe not the best ever played, was the 2003 3A Title Game between Boyle County and Highlands

Boyle County's 44-10 blowout was awesome in itself as Boyle rolled up 450 yards of total offense and scored 37 unanswered points. But the best part was watching the game with my good friend Jerry Gardner (RIP). Jerry wanted Highlands to win so badly that he ripped a hot dog to shreds, threw his hat, and cussed uncontrollably under his breath throughout the game. Of course I made things even worse for him by cheering like a maniac every time Boyle scored.

Hopefully Jerry got to watch the 2004 version and the hotdog was spared.:biggrin:
tradition Wrote:Hopefully Jerry got to watch the 2004 version and the hotdog was spared.:biggrin:

Sadly, Jerry passed from Lou Geherig's disease in September 2004. He wasn't a Highlands fan actually. he just hated Boyle County because I like them. The regular season game in 03 at Boyle was even better. When Highlands muffed a punt in Boyle's win, he grabbed his hat off his head and wailed "Noooooooooooooo!" I laughed so hard that I nearly collapsed. :lmao:
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:1995 and 1996 2A was very good. One decided in multiple overtimes and one in the late 4th quarter.

Both of those games were fantastic, and two of the more memorable games in KHSAA Championship history. Kind of ironic how those two ended, too.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Both of those games were fantastic, and two of the more memorable games in KHSAA Championship history. Kind of ironic how those two ended, too.
Those games along with the 2002 2A Championship game have been the only State Final games I have seen, so I can nont speak personally on other games. I also am a little confused with this thread as far as other posters talking about games that are playoff games when the thread name is about the state finals.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Those games along with the 2002 2A Championship game have been the only State Final games I have seen, so I can nont speak personally on other games. I also am a little confused with this thread as far as other posters talking about games that are playoff games when the thread name is about the state finals.

I am not following you there. I only saw one post not referring to a title game and it was in direct response to a story a poster gave of a previous Finals game involving the same teams, additionally it was regular season game and not a playoff matchup?
Breathitt co 95,96 was good games
C.Clair Wrote:Breathitts 2002 win over Corbin I beleive it was. Breathitt scored something like 52 points and had the largest margin of victory in the histroy of the state championship.

:zzz: